Douglas Rejects Fulham – Has Passport – To Move To Magpies?

The transfer window runs out at 11:00 pm this Friday night,  and we’ll soon know if Newcastle are going to add to their ranks this summer, with news today out of Holland that Newcastle target Douglas has been given until tomorrow by his club FC Twente to decide if he wants to leave the Dutch club.

Douglas – has told agent he doesn’t want to move to Fulham

Douglas has given different statements about whether he wants to see out the final year of his contract in Holland, and the news last week was that he was in London discussing terms with Fulham.

But according to reports in Holland today, Douglas has apparently turned down the opportunity to move to the London club.

The local Dutch newspaper in Enschende, TC Tubantia, is reporting this morning the Brazilian had been given until tomorrow to decide whether he wants to leave the Enschende based club – probably to move to Newcastle – or whether he wants to see out the last year of his contract.

TC Tunatia are reporting that Douglas has told his agent that he is not interested in a move to Fulham, but whether the news was accurate last week that he flew into London for discussions at Craven Cottage is not clear.

And we don’t know whether a fee had even been agreed between Fulham and Twente for the player,  but last week there were reports that fee was £4.5M, which is above Newcastle’s valuation of the player – surprise, surprise.

Douglas has never been clear about whether he wants to leave FC Twente or not, and whether he would prefer Newcastle United if some agreement were to be reached with his club on the fee.

It’s more than a confusing situation,  but two clubs have been reported interested in the player over the last couple of weeks, Fulham and Newcastle, and he doesn’t want to join Fulham.

Whether that means the door is now open to bring in the Brazilian we don’t know, but Newcastle need some reinforcements through the door before Friday evening, and in defense too.

Douglas shown with his wife and child – and Dutch papers

And there’s also news that Douglas has been included in the Dutch provisional squad for the World Cup qualifying matches against Turkey and Hungary next month,  by the experienced new Holland manager Louis van Gaal.

Douglas has now met all requirements for Dutch citizenship having spent five years in Holland and therefore qualifies to play for Holland.

It also means that Douglas can move to play in England without needing a work permit, and maybe this is what Newcastle have been waiting for?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• NUFC141

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:29 AM

seriously i would look else where for a CB…

• bollance

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Transfer sage suggested a signing tomorrow.. Put two and two together. Douglas signing for us tomorrow 🙂

• check the toastie

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:32 AM

This week is going to be a nightmare…….

• bollance

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I watches fc Twente last season. De Jong and Douglas were playing. Douglas class all match, commanding etc. but then he tried to be too clever an got caught in possession and opposition scored. I have also seen another clip of something similar happening with Douglas.

Could be concentration issues but I am no expert

• Toon73

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Douglas in Tuesday.

A new Striker in deadline day.

Would like Pieters in as well for CB and LB coverage.

• bollance

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM

As I pointed out yesterday we rarely have defensive lapses these days. I could oust think of west brom away and Liverpool away where we conceded goals through defensive blunders

• pbNcl

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM

At least wenger has shown us the respect we deserve and put that stupid rumour to bed. Tiote will not leave newcastle, either will cabaye. They love it here, I’m confident of holding on to our lads. I remember douglas saying a bigger club than newcastle were after him a while ago. Didn’t like that comment. Wonder if he was referring to the mighty fulham hahahahaha

• magpie79

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM

If people on here are gunna start beleiving the transfer sage then they are really fcuked!!transfer sage knows fcuk all we were signing debuchy weeks and weeks ago according 2 that clown!!he might guess 1 right someday though so here’s hoping!!

• Beattie25

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Best week ever or worst week ever?

I’m glad I can share it with you guys. At least you understand.

My girlfriend doesn’t quite get what all the fuss is about.

Got a feeling I’ll be bold by the end if the week, bold all over!

• stevetoon85

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Don’t really rate this guy….seen him a few times for Twente last season. Yes he can totally dominate a game with his ariel power and strengh, but on the other hand he is clumsy and prone to errors.

Titus Bramble the 2nd?????

• Indian Magpie

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM

bold or bald

• Rotonda heights

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Douglas would be good but we do lack pace at the back. M’Biwa ticks all boxes for me.

More than anything we need a RB, whether that’s Debuchy, Corchia, Rosales or switching santon over, in which case we need a LB.

Ba is a target man so I don’t see carroll as bringing another dimension. Being a geordie doesn’t really or shouldn’t count.
    We need pace, skill and mobility. Gameiro or fast forward (in both senses) Campbell a la Rooney.

• WhyteThunder

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Solid player, could dominate and protect our back line for years to come.

but… the guy is so sporadic. From his bizarre comments, to his barton-like tantrums I don’t know if he is the guy we want in the locker room.

• pbNcl

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I’ve always been sure debuchy is in the bag, could be wrong but I would be suprised if we don’t get him. I’m happy with perch and willo to cover cb to be honest. Imagine tiote and anita covering with santon and debs bombing forward. Mouthwatering

• Marzy

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I have not really watched much of the Dutch league so can’t give a confident answer, But Douglas seems to be held in high regard & I will trust Carr’s assessment of him 100%.
    Great to hear that Arsene has done the right thing to squash the rumour mills regarding Tiote.

• davybtoon

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Douglas debuchy n Carroll this week with no one leaving

• pbNcl

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Reckon douglas got to craven cottage, spotted a massive statue of a creep outside and went naaaaaaa no thanks pal. Plus ya stadium is shoyte

• davybtoon

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Giving it takes us about aweek to sign a player from a agreeing a fee we shud head something today or tomorrow lol

• one Tony Green

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Every morning I wake up hoping we have signed someone my 6 year old daughter thinks the club are being mean not buying me a new player.
    Come on NUFC let’s get at least one play across the line.

• geordie157

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I’m not sure whether his wages would be an issue, but is Kjaer not a better option than Douglas

• davybtoon

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM

B suprised if Douglas n debuchy don’t happen these 2 n Anita been our targets all summer

• TorqToon

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Davy – In theory yes – but we all know first hand that a transfer can be executed in a lot less time than a week!! Several hours (depending on location) and you can sign a new player.

For the Tiote / Cabaye rumour – wenger has so much more about him than floppy chops redknapp. He here’s the rumour and responds to it in the correct manner. Good lad.

Anybody think that with Montpelier struggling (albeit early season) we could go back in with a bid for Mbiwa. French journo’s insistant that last season was a fluke. Let’s get the lad in toon colours!!

• hoppernufc

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Well if he’s been called into the Dutch squad he must be half decent and a upgrade on Williamson, hoping for some movement soon.

• keeping the faith

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Did debuchy play in Lilles CL qualifier and if so does that make him cup tied?

• geordie157

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I’d still love to see musacchio, bit surprised he’s not signed for someone yet.

• Toon73

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Mbiwa yes ! I just can’t see it happening though.

Someone prove me wrong ! 🙂

• Ian Toon

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Bollance- I have resisted responding to your often made ” we rarely have defensive lapses ” point for sometime but I can’t let you continually mislead . It is a defensive lapse when a defender does not provide defensive cover- play is not static and when defenders are moved around the other defenders have to adjust their positions in order to negate the opposition . For example if a defender is not goal side or if they are following the ball and not the opposition. Tavernier made a defensive blunder on Thursday. I also fail to see your point
    that no blunders= not needing to improve the defence. The sort of defenders were seeking Douglas and. Debuchy will make a positive contribution at both ends of the field we can seriously do with assists and goals from defenders.

• geordie157

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Modric finally close to joining Madrid, which now means spurs will hog all of sky sports TV time. They’ll prob sign Remy too.

• Marzy

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Debuchy would be a great move as it will improve our team & improve our attack, but this transfer window is very frustrating so i wouldnt hold my breath.
    I will still say though if we don’t sign anyone we still have got a good squad & the January Window will be the Key.

• pbNcl

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Lookin forward to the game thurs. Anybody think king pardew’ll start with a few big guns? I do like

• t00ntime

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:17 AM

@magpies did transfersage ever say we were signing debuchy? I only rememeber him giving random information like: nufc have a medical planned for bla bla bla. And tbf he has been right on atleast 2 occasions this summer.

I dont believe itk guys but atleast if nothing happens tomorrow we can all complain about him instead of lac of signings 😉 lol

• Billythefish

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Still think Carroll will be back, if not I can see Rhodes coming. Can defo see 2 players maybe even 3 coming before the window shuts.

• TorqToon

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Toontime – To be fair on the lad, sage, I think he only stated that there was going to be a big signing announcement on that particular day. He assumed it would be a signing of some kind when in fact it turned out to be Graham Carr signing a new extended contract.

Not sure he mentioned any names or anything to be fair. I like the lad and moreso now he contributes to the banter and debate on here rather than just coming across as an ITK.

• jatt1988

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Well got no idea why were still chasing him he seems to indecisive to move and a don’t get why we don’t go after boyata from man city he is young and very versatile at the back

• Rotonda heights

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM

boyota has already moved on loan

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Douglas is a tricky one to judge. I haven’t seen enough of him to really comment about him. Though he would be an improvement to the team his rash attitude that comes across is a slight worry. I really hope Pardew and Carr have really studied his game. Another Bramble would send us back YEARS! We can’t afford another repeat. Pardew did say he wanted a tall imposing CB and one that can score goals too. Douglas can do this though and being relatively cheap I can see us signing him. He would be an improvement end of the day and that’s exactly what we need.

• Owldman

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I did comment on Douglas last season but was more or less told i was talking crap as i was baseing my oppinion of him on just one game when i was actually baseing it on haveing watched him at least 7 times on ESPN.I said then that we should,nt bother with him as he was another Bramble,prone to drop real clangers

• West Lancs Geordie

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Douglas would be a fine acquisition. We certainly need a quality CB as Saylor is injury prone. Also be good if we could add Debuchy or Pieters. I think Ashley will go for AC (£17M) on last day of the window. Why would Tiote or Cabaye want to go to Arsenal? They are a selling club with far less potential than the Toon. If all above happens & we hold on to current players MA will show just how serious he is about bringing real success to NUFC but watch this space!!