The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle’s Contingency Plans – In Case We Lose Top Player

10:54 am, Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

There seems to be truth in the reports that Newcastle are still bracing themselves for some bids coming in this week for some of their top players.

Yohan Cabaye – top player – in action against Spurs

We are hoping that the valuation that Mike Ashley puts on players like Yohan Cabaye, Cheick Tiote and Fabricio Coloccini will scare off any would-be suitors this week, but of course what Newcastle are worried about is that a club will come in with silly money – like Liverpool did for Andy Carroll in January of 2011 – and then we could be in trouble.

Alan Pardew has been concerned all summer that he may lose one of his star players, and he’ll not be happy until the transfer window slams shut on Friday night at 11:00pm. Newcastle fans wont be either.

There seems some truth in the rumors that both are central midfield players – Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye – are attracting interest,  and the Evening Chronicle is reporting today that Newcastle have drawn up contingency plans, in case they lose one of those two.

We understand these contingency plans have been in place all summer, and Newcastle have identified targets they would go after if they lose specific top players, but time is now running out to do that, should a daft offer come in for one of the Newcastle stars, that the Magpies just cannot refuse.

Newcastle’s first line of defense this week will be the valuation put on players like Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote, and it’s understood Mike Ashley will ask for £25M for each player, and that should do the trick.

Newcastle would make over £20M profit on each player if a club is willing to pay the asking price, and it’s only if some club is daft enough to pay out that amount, that Newcastle could be in difficulties.

Liverpool were daft enough to fork out £35M in cash for Andy Carroll, but clubs are a lot more sensible in the transfer market these days.

Not! :D

Here’s hoping we can keep all our best players this week, and maybe have a little celebration at 11:00 pm on Friday night – yes, that’s a good idea - where’s that bottle (the big one) of chardonnay?

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 King Arfa // Aug 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Douglas aint goin anywhere accordin 2 his agent….NEXT

• 2 LooneyToon41 // Aug 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I’m sure we do have contingency plans, but i doubt very much these plans would be realised 3 days before the window shuts, as we would be paying over the odds, which is totally against our transfer policy. We’d have to wait until January.

• 3 Beattie25 // Aug 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM

What about the fcuking plans to bring in top players regardless of anyone leaving?!

• 4 pardew no 1 // Aug 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM

i dont think we will loose anyone and i think we wont buy anyone coz i think we are waiting for someone to bid for are player then we will bid for their replacement

• 5 Beattie25 // Aug 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I’m sorry but thi obvious attempt at spin from the club riles me every window.

I will not celebrate the fact we haven’t sold any of our stars, that should be a given considering we are trying to get into Europe again.

The only way and I mean the only way I’ll be happy is if players come in and nobody leaves.

I an still certain it’ll be the case but I am very annoyed at this manipulation.

• 6 Rowan Milsted // Aug 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I suppose, in the long run, that if we were to lose Cabaye or Tiote for £25M then it wouldn’t be the end of the world. We’d be making massive profit and I trust Carr and co to find good replacements. And if we really do have a contingency plan, and could replace players almost instantly (big ifs) then, OK, I’ll get over it. But I’d still be gutted in the short term. I guess I get too attached to players (I didn’t want Nolan, Barton, Carroll or Enrique to go in all honesty) but these guys haven’t been here that long, esp. Cabaye, and really we should hold on to them for at least a couple more seasons. Mr. T is my favourite Newcastle player – the first time I’ve had a favourite since Shearer – so I would probably shed a small (but manly) tear if he went.

• 7 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

We have to sell them if a big bid comes in.
    That’s how the club is set up.

Give the money to Carr to find young talent.

Eventually the quality and depth of the squad increases so you can challenge for the EPL, ECL and cups.

One step back, two forward .. the only way if you want to balance the books as well as improving the club.

• 8 alex84 // Aug 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

It would be nice to think that we will be bringing in top players to go along with what we have.

• 9 bro56 // Aug 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Shouldnt we be buying a RB and CB anyway as Pardew promised last yr that the scouts had already identified the players and work had already started in bring them here??

I’d the love the window to close softly apposed to slamming shut, is there an actual window at the FA headquarters that closes?

• 10 Paps // Aug 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Re post: Hate to be pessimistic but I think the spuds will get Remy if we go for him as they’re pikeys like that. I just dont think levy could let us have someone of that ability. I dont want carrol back as for that money that’s far too much. Not sure who we’d turn to after that.

Regarding douglas, I don’t like the way he’s messed us about. As for Mbia, I can’t see him coming due to interest from chelski even though those rumours are bs. Would love to see debuchy in but it’s gone on for too long.

I hate to say this but I think the best we can hope for is to keep our players.

Really hope Cashly prooves me wrong though

• 11 Szarka // Aug 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM

We should have made a statement , that noone leaves after 20th of August.
    Only those could leave that we bought a replacement.

Hope we dont sell, and buy Mbiva, so we have a FB and CB cover, or even a starter for RB :)
    Still need a Striker, or we must change from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3

• 12 Beattie25 // Aug 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Players leaving should have no bearing on incomings in this window.

We should have enough money to purchase players and if not I and you should want to know why?!

• 13 magicbus // Aug 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Totally agree with an earlier comment
    What about the plans to bring in proven quality players that would go straight into the first team squad. We need back up in certain positions for what is the hardest league to play in.
    I am not going to see it as a success that we hung onto our best players at the end of the window.
    If MA has aspirations for us to do better he needs to invest or tell us what or where he sees the club going.

• 14 LooneyToon41 // Aug 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM

@12 and @13. Whoooah. MA/DL have already told us where the club is going. To be financially self sufficient, so A) MA doesn’t have to put more money into the club, and B) We adhere to the new Uefa Financial Fair play rules.
    This isn’t a secret.
    If we have extra funds available for transfers (AND WAGES!!!) then great, but if we don’t…. we don’t. Nobody knows outside NUFC what budget we have.

• 15 Premiership Manager // Aug 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM

£25M somebody has a great sense of humour. The David Silva’s, Luca Modric’s, Ronaldo’s and Cesc Fabregas’s of this world are £20-£30M rated players, however both Cabaye and Tiote fall well short of this price bracket. Both players are 26 and will not get any better as they are already in their prime.

Guthrie filled in for both players and did a very good job. His passing and tackling statistics were similar and Cabaye only just edged him statistically due to goal difference because he had played far more goals.

They are both good players but some people valuation is off this planet. If somebody comes in with a firm bid of £15M, I would be surprised if they stayed.

• 16 LooneyToon41 // Aug 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM

@12 Beattie25. “Players leaving should have no bearing on incomings in this window”.
    Jees… thank god you aren’t involved in running the club. I’m almost lost for words.

• 17 Kazzy // Aug 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Ed aint Cabaye playing against chelsea not spurs on the pictue ?

• 18 Rozzy // Aug 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

@Premiership…
    Only modric in your list is a £20-£30m rated player :/

• 19 ende // Aug 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM

English players like Sturrige arn’t moving at the 20m range. Cabaye and Tiote aint going anywhere.

Also, the board needs to make one more simple rule for the transfer market: We don’t sell our top players in the last week of a transfer window (not enough time to bring in replacements at a reasonable price).

• 20 solano // Aug 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Same old noises out of the club….why contingency plans? We wouldn’t spend Christmas….so we will only react to movement in the transfer window instead of being proactive and building on an excellent previous campaign.? It’s shameful.
    I agree with Beattie’s earlier comment and see it as yet another missed opportunity. All those wombats who think the potential departures of either/or Tiote and Cabaye for big money = a stronger club are clearly too blind to acknowledge the club has a transfer trading profit of £40m+ and has not cleared any significant debt either! The tightwaddery and spin by the shysters in charge is holding the club back from fulfilling its true potential as a true giant of the English game.

• 21 Harley // Aug 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I just cannot see the club selling either for 15 million. That is the Market price I would put on each player going by the prices others have gone for. Allen, Henderson, downing, modric etc.
    We bought them for about 5 million each (including fees etc) and it would cost another 6-7 million to replace them (fees etc) so that’s 3 million left over.
    I just don’t see how the club could see that would be worth it. I believe that the club are wanting 25 for each player as we don’t have to sell and I just cannot see any club paying that much for either of them.
    My prediction is none out and 2 in by deadline day!

previous post: Alan Pardew Thanks Brilliant Newcastle Fans