Whatever Happened To Newcastle Striker Xisco

Xisco – full name Francisco Jiménez Tejada – was signed from Deportivo late in the 2008 summer transfer window on a five year deal, which will run out next June,  and Newcastle paid £5.7M for the Spanish U21 striker to his Spanish club.

Xisco in September 2008 when he signed
Demba Ba now has the number 19 shirt

Xisco scored on his debut in the 2-1 home defeat by Hull City in September, 2008, but has only ever appeared 11 times for the Newcastle first team and for the last three years Newcastle have tried to loan him out to Spanish clubs, and least season, he was on loan at his former club Deportivo.

He was also brought in by Dennis Wise unbeknownst to then manager Kevin Keegan, and that led to Kevin leaving the club in that September , and to cut a  very long story short – we were relegated that season.

But we’ve had no word about him at all this summer, and he hasn’t been playing in any Newcastle sides, and we don’t even know if the now 26 year-old is still in the Newcastle area or back in Spain.

Maybe Newcastle will try to loan him out again to Deportivo, but it’s interesting that Alan Pardew hasn’t even mentioned the player this summer.

He still has one year left on his contract at Newcastle, and we could still be paying him about £2.5M through next June 30th, when his contract finally runs out.

But Xisco is an excellent example of what happens when you make some stupid decisions in the transfer market, and to date Xisco has cost Newcastle just under £16M, and he’s appeared 11 times for the side with one solitary goal.

If he sees out his contract he will have cost Newcastle just over £18M over five years – excuse me while I throw up.

There’s been very little news on the Spaniard this summer, and it seems Newcastle are keeping it low key, but this is the last year of his five year contract – so we suppose that’s good news – he’ll be off the books next July 1st.

We looked at this season’s roster at Deportivo, who are now back in the Spanish first division, and they have eight players on loan, but Xisco isn’t one of them.

And Xisco is certainly not listed on Newcastle’s web-site anymore.

Maybe Alan Pardew can help clear up what’s happened to him, maybe Newcastle reached an agreement to pay off his contract?

No, he’s not the new striker coming in from the continent this week – at least we hope he’s not. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Widowmaker

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Is he our new signing? Who is he? lol

• Beattie25

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM

We didn’t strenghtnen last season!

We improved the quality of the team but we did not strengthen!

We showed a quantum of ambition but not full blown ambition.

We have not strengthend since relegation, only improved quality over time.

This season we have not improved the quality or strengthened!

• Toonboy_84

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

@ Alex from last thread,

Maybe we should make a pact then? Meet you on the tune bridge in 20 minutes!

• bro56

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM

nothing. he’s still pony..

• alex84

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

He would be like a new signing!

• NUFC FOR SALE

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

We have not strengthened since relegation ?
    are you on crack?
    Lovenkrands and best used to be our strike force. Guthrie was probably 1st choice midfielder.
    You’re are an absolute idiot if you think we haven’t strengthened our squad.
    Our 2nd string is far superior than it was when we were in the championship
    Idiot

• Transfer Sage

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Jimmymagpie

Welcome back. Your insight into the club is always welcome.

I would like to ask you one question though. You say we made a small loss according to the accounts last year. As far as I am aware that is correct. If that I the case and you say you want us to sign more players surely that is not a sustainable model for the club?

I accept we need to strengthen, especially the defence to remain competitive in the European places but surely trying to get financial stability is also important?

Another point. I support Newcastle as it is the club my family support and I grew up in that environment. I would live then to win something but if they don’t it’s ok. I want them to be a top side but again I’m happy watching regardless.

I just want to say in fortunate the club I support play in the top flight whether we finish 1st or 17th I get to see some great games every year.

I’m lucky to be a toon fan and not the fan of a team like Darlington who have fallen right out of the football league due to poor financial management.

Also jimmy…..heard any good rumours lately? No news on Carroll or is it all paper talk and pardew doing his best to keep us happy?

• alex84

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Toonboy haha already there mate.

• Ben3arfa

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM

probably in some gay club blowing his 50K a week pay cheque ..

Such a joke

• LooneyToon41

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM

@2 Beattie25. By full blown ambition, can i assume you would like us to spend more on transfers and wages than we can afford, considering our turnover is half that of Spurs/Liverpool. Did you by any chance give advice to the Glasgow Rangers Board?
    Shall we ‘speculate to accumulate’? like Leeds,Portsmouth,QPR,West Ham……..
    Whether you believe we have or have not improved the quality or strengthened the squad this summer, is subjective and i tend to agree with you, but long term financial stability should always outweigh short term histrionics!

• Valci

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM

ochy – from last thread – i said competitive within their means. I would not with a City/Chelski type owner on NUFC no matter what promise of trophies he may bring. If we manage to touch the top 4 within the next 3 years…or maybe win a cup (either one im not picky)… ill be ecstatic. I won’t pretend we will rival the likes of the moneybags but at least we will be within our means and there is honor in that too. Call me old fashioned if you will but it’s just the way i feel.

• Toonboy_84

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Alex, won’t be long. I’m just untying the noose and I’ll be there. Don’t jump without me 😉

• MacToon

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Transfer sage, the club made a small loss before the Carroll money was entered into the accounts 😉

• alex84

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Hahha that cheered me up Ben3arfa

• Spreadthetoon

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Think about it……….more fixtures……….less players….FACT. We’ve released loads of players and not replaced em.
    I would have been happy if we had spent £20m on a few players…..showed a little ambition. I think AP & Carr are being shafted by MA,Lambs. I really do worry that talk of an exodus becomes a reality and given the arrogance of some (MA), think that it would be easy to replicate the core of players we have.

• LooneyToon41

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM

@11 Valci. 100% agree mate 😉

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Ashley will not give another 2 million which is Lille demand, but we will go out and splash 13million++ for Carroll, a position we have quite a number of options already?

LOL!!!!

sounds like alot of bull. we are probably done with transfers this window.

• ochytoon

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Valci
    Fair enough and you are of course entitled to your opinion which I respect but do not share.

• LooneyToon41

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM

@15 Spreadthetoon. You wanted to spend “£40m” a few weeks back!! Madness.

• ochytoon

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Ilovetoon
    We were done with transfers weeks ago.

• Valci

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Personally i’d love Carroll and a RB/LB (whichever). With 2 more players i think we would be fine but i won’t despair if we don’t bring anyone else in. We will have to ride it out till January and see what action the powers that be might take at that point depending on where we are in PL/EL/Cups.

• Spreadthetoon

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM

LooneyToon41 @19
    I do not recall stating £40m previously but if I did then I did. I am not so much concerned about the amount of money….but replacing 1 player when we released 7-8 players this summer is hardly sustainable either! Eventually you won’t have enough players to field a team! Okay an exaggeration but do we want our club to compete or are we happy to see our club potentially mid table?

• Big Pappa Cissé

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Its so nice to see other clubs spending money while we stand still, NOT ! blow the dust of your wallet Ashley and sign someone FFS

• Valci

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Ochy – sure mate. I’m not claiming i’m right or such nonsense. Just an opinion. We can just agree to disagree. 😉

• Transfer Sage

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM

We need one player for me.

Yanga-Mbiwa or Pieters (2nd choice)

we need a CB who can cover full back, or vice versa

Anything else is a bonus.

• Toon Tang

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

‘home defeat by hull city’ hahaha the glory days eh. glad to be through them dark times… for now

• Valci

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

TS – for now i’ll just hope your source (however unreliable it may be) is right on the AC transfer. If we manage a RB/LB too then great. But like i said…i won’t despair if we don’t bring anyone in either.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I will pose one question to hopefully spark some civilised debate.

Are 80% of premier league clubs doing good business or are we part of the 20% that is being rightfully thrifty/plain old tight.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Sulejmani is available. He’d be a great signing for us.

We need to sign Debuchy, Mbiaw and Sulejmani/Remy.

• Dannyo

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Uch…negative mood.
    Someone said we did not strengthen last season.
    We got 8 players in, 4 players left, how’s that not strengthening?
    We’ve gotten 4 players in this year, Smith, Loven, Guthrie and Best has gone.
    Would u rather have up and coming or outdated and average?
    Not counting Guthrie in the two latter.
    We need depth, strength in depth.
    At the same time we’ve got the emergence of several young players who’ll get ever better this year…

We lack 3 players peeps, outside the ones we have and some i’d like to replace.
    That is damn near close to a full size CL squad.

Realism check!

• toon smart

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM

@ jimmymagpie

When you come back from hospital (Good Luck with your treatment), can you tell me what happens in a medical for a football player?

• SuperShearer

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM

People demanding Ashley spends his money need to grow-up. This is not Football Manager, it’s real life. Ashley has pumped huge amounts of his own cash into the club. I’m not saying he’s the world’s best owner and he’s clearly made mistakes BUT unlike so many others has learned from them. We have our targets and a budget we’re willing to spend to. If a club want more than we’re willing to pay we move on. I love the way this club is run now. We all too easily forget that before Ashley we were on the brink of doing a Leeds. Pardew seems happy wit the squad he has and based on last season’s performance I agree with him.

• Spreadthetoon

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Trasnfer Sage
    Reckon we need a RB first. Well covered with Perch and Good if we get short, but having an attacking RB will free up midfield and Cabaye. I think our 2nd priority would be a striker as Ameobi is injury stricken and then a CB. Talking of fantasy land this would be as follows:-
    RB – Debuchy
    ST – Remy
    CB Yanga Mbiwa
    Sadly I do not think we’ll land any of these. Its not a huge amount of money…..in fact less than we sold AC. I think its such a shame and a missed opportunity as we are only 3 players off a major challenging team.

• HullMag6

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Xisco a mistake hopefully never.to be repeated. Sorry to repost but it might have been lost in a bitchfest/pissing contest between wyn and nufc.

No big names of ours out, above average replacements in for fringe departees except best & lover. So its an ok window, ac to maybe come back but the part of me that resides in optimism valley thinks there might be a defensive surprise before the window slams shut. I might be wrong but top 6 is achieveable with what we’ve got.

Hell or high water howay the lads.

• pawl250

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Xisco has 1 year remaining on his 50k a week contract! Probably the last of our useless big earners after Smith departed this summer.

Just on the topic of Andy Carroll.

I see a mixed reaction when Carroll is brought up. Some people wish for his return, others do not.

I dont get the whole 4-2-3-1 thing and the same people wanting him back. The lone striker role will then have 3 first team strikers fighting for 1 place!

Do you really think 2 of them given the form/amount of money we have paid will accept that?!

I am sure people just wish they could have 20 first team players like they would on a computer game, yet the real world doesnt work like that. UNLESS you Man City and pay players 200k for sitting in the reserves!

I would much prefer money to be spent on defenders! The options available upfront are endless. We can play 2 strikers if 1 is injured we can play 1 striker in 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 or whatever! Then we have Shola and Sammy aswell a young Adam Campbell awaiting places!

I cant understand the need for a new striker!

Since promotion this might be the first time I disagree with the clubs decision of who they bring in and let go!

• markmac

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Its strange that nothing has been mentioned about xisco, been wondering myself, same with ranger, maybe there hoping to shift them on at the last minute

• Valci

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM

TS – personally i think potential targets and their valuations are discussed within our club quite a while ahead of actually trying to get a player. I for one trust in Carr’s valuations and if for instance he says Debuchy is worth 7mil then as far as i’m concerned that’s what he’s worth. If i were MA i’d go in as low as 4mil and work my way up to 7…at the very most 7.5mil and stop there. Take it or leave it. There are a shitload of players our there really 😉 … i’m just using this as an example but the point is that i don’t see that as being tight.

For instance…if i want to buy a car and have to choose between a 2.0L BMW 3 series and lets say a 2.0L Citroen C5 i will always choose the C5 (assuming the respective cars have the same features eg.19″wheels, leather interior etc) simply because i would have to pay 10-15k more on the BMW because of the logo. And i for one refuse to do so. That’s not being tight…that’s refusing to pay over the odds for an equivalent product just because of it’s name.

• Spreadthetoon

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Talking about comparable for the same product. Why is it that AP and Carr have identified that we need a RB,CB and a Striker and yet we have not signed anyone in this regard. I do not agree with paying over the odds for players but either we are in the market or not…surely. If a player is overpriced then we move onto another……..is the argument that every single player in the market is overpriced?

• mindshaft

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM

He won’t have cost Newcastle 16 million as deportivo have been paying his wages or at least 50% of them
    Still a lot of money we’ve paid out tho

• Tommyy

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM

All I ever read nowadays is ‘we are savvy’ , ‘we are living within our means’ etc.
    Someone said a couple of weeks ago all fans on here have become wannabe accountants and club businessmen.
    Fair enough we should be aware of our financial status, but it’s consumed every single aspect of this blog near enough.
    Ashley’s propaganda has really worked. Seems like we’ve lost a bit of spark as fans. this window we have shown no ambition, we should have tied up our 3 needed signings yonks ago, no question! Yet In 80% of the posts here I read are defending it.
    Of course no one expects us to blow cash away like Liverpool or Chelsea, but to spend on par with the likes of clubs we are competing with is an absolute must in the modern game. Whatever anyone says I’ll be extremely dissapointed and upset if we finish lower than 6th and it’s obviously due to lack if investment. which could well happen.