Newcastle vs Atromitos – Match Preview

Newcastle only need to draw 0-0, to go through in tonight’s second leg tie against Greek Super League side Atromitos, but we hope the lads can win the game at St. James’ Park, and qualify for the group stages of the Europa League.

It was a tough game last Thursday night in Athens, and Newcastle did well to come back after going 1-0 down in the first half,  and it was another Ryan Taylor special just before half time that did the trick.

But Newcastle could have won the game last week, and played essentially a second eleven because of the game at Chelsea less than 48 hours later, which we ended up losing 2-0.

This time our next game is not only one day later on Sunday, but there’s also no travelling to do,  so Alan Pardew may play one or two first team players tonight, but probably only from the bench and only if needed in the second half.

Haris Vuckic was not available last week through injury, but we expect him to be given a chance tonight at St. James’ Park, and this is the side Alan Pardew could start against the Greek side:

Steve Harper
James Tavernier, Mike Williamson (c), James Perch, Ryan Taylor;
Gabby Obertan,  Gael Bigirimana, Vurnon Anita, Sylvain Marveaux;
Papiss Cisse, Haris Vuckic;
Subs: Tim Krul, Davide Santon, Steven Taylor, Dan Gosling, Jonas Gutierrez, Romain Amalfitano, Demba Ba

Last week the Atromitos danger man was Denis Epstein, the goalscorer who played on the left wing, and he gave James Tavernier a hard time of it, so hopefully James will have learned from that experience and will put in a solid perofrmance tonight.

Alan Pardew hinted yesterday that Adam Campbell would not be involved in this game, so we put Demba Ba down as a sub, just in case we need some firepower in the second half.

Newcastle cannot take this game lightly, and it would be a tragedy if we cannot make the group stages of the competition, so Newcastle need to get the job done tonight,  come hell or high water.

We think the lads can do that – and then the next step will be to get all 3 points against Aston Villa at St. James Park on Sunday afternoon – and then we’ll be in very good shape for the two week  International break.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• ToonAndy

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

8ToonAndy // Aug 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Would like to see this fielded tonight…

————————HARPER——————–

SIMPSON—-WILLO—-PERCH—-RAYLOR

——————BIGI———ANITA————–

OBERTAN—AMALFITANO—MARVEAUX

————————-CISSE————————

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Missed Pardews comments about no Campbell tonight. I assume it’s as he knows we need the win and honestly, whilst Campbell is a great young talent, i’d be happier bringing Ba on if a goal is needed.

I don’t think it will be that tight, but there have certainly been a few shocks in the past.

Come on boys, give us something else to talk about other than transfers!

Perhaps I should make that point clearer. Come on boys, give us something positive to talk about (i.e. European qaulification). Although as I type this, I can already predict within 5 minutes of a win it will be a case of “Doesn’t matter anyway, we don’t have the players to compete”.

Oh the joys of the blog.

• bazrazmataz

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

There’s not much paper talk on the debuchy Madrid situation looks like was a load of rubbish

• Grafton83

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I’m not betting on this one, the draw cost me too much in Greece, this should be a walk over though. Just hope Pards knows what he’s doing if he’s resting our best players

• steveno7

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Im gonna go out on a limb now with crossed fingers.
    We will sign carrol(suprise suprise hes not in lfools eurosquad)
    And i think we will get debuchy.
    i shall hold my hands up if im wrong folks .

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Baz….Surely not? Don’t tell me rubbish get’s written across the internet in order to start mass panic.

• pardew no 1

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

if pardew said we have about 3 players in the same position why not get one of them then the ones that the club wont sell

• bazrazmataz

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I wondered why an Italian journalist knew about a transfer between a Spanish and French club first

• Lee Dodd

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Should Be a Good Game Tonight – looks as if there has been a stack of tickets sold so should be a good crowd . Lets Hope we get a few Players Over the line by tomorrow night. Bet they are there tonight and sign in the Morning!!!!!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Steveno…I have a feeling he will arrive. If not, I honestly expect him to do well at Liverfool this season. He did start picking up towards the last season and he is a Geordie and they are a strong bunch who will fight. I expect him to come good in the long run, I honestly do. I hope it’s with us and not the bindippers.

• Markaccus

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM

To ppl saying tiote is not injured and is being sold, you obvously don’t pay attention to games. Tiote clearly knacked his leg while playing, he took ages to run it off, and still didn’t manage to stay on the pitch. He is injured. Fact. Saw it with my own eyes.

• pawl250

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

My team –

———————— Krul —————————
    ———————————————————-
    Tavernier — Williamson — Perch — RTaylor
    ———————————————————-
    —– Bigirimana – Cabaye – Anita —————
    ———————————————————-
    Amalfitano ——– Cisse ———– Marevaux

• toonking

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM

if what pardew is saying about the window is really honest them this season is going to be such a long and tiring one and although it won’t sound good, i think top6 finish can only be achieved if we don’t progress in the league or europa cups as they are mid week cups,
    as for the team for this weeks games
    tonight i would go 4-5-1
    harper
    tav perch willo raylor
    obatan gosling biri marvo
    vuckic/ba cambell
    on saturday
    krul
    simmo colo saylor santon
    HBA cab tiote anita jonas
    cisse/ba

• pawl250

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Cabaye NEEDS match fitnees as does Cisse.

Their is no reason not to play a stronger side tonight given its at home and we have a home fixture this weekend.

I would leave STaylor, Santon, Jonas, Colo, Tiote, Ba out tonight for a rest and not risk picking up injuries.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM

On JFA’s line of thinking for tonights chants. How about, when we’re winning and qualification is all but in the bag, something along the lines of:

Who are we signing in the morning?
    Who’s gonna set St James’ alight?
    Pull out the stopper!
    Let’s have a whopper! But please get them over the line!

For those who don’t know…
    My Fair Lady – Get me to the church.

• Spreadthetoon

16. Blackburn 87
    17. Stoke 84
    18. Bolton 76
    19. Middsbrough’ 71
    20. West Brom 64
    Source: Deloitte
    On the basis of our spending power then I guess mid-league table is about right. Perhaps we did punch above our weight last season……I guess time will tell! Hope the boyz get a good result tonite…HWTL!

• Zero

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Heres hoping Bigi Amalfitano Marv and Campbell impress so much that they can be considered first team players since we aint signing anymore.

• drongo

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Anyone know of any sort of coverage tonight?

Or is this going to be a radio 5 special?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Spreadthetoon….So should I be putting a bet on the fools to get a CL spot then?

Oh and Portsmouth to finish mid-table? Ok that one was definitely taking the point too far 🙂

• Markaccus

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Drongo, itv 4 mate.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

drongo…Believe it’s on ITV….4?

• Slank

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM

pawl250 @ 12

That formation looks good. Thinking about what you said I agree that Cabaye and Cisse need more match practice. If we are winning by a mile then they can be replaced.

• Spreadthetoon

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Ibiza
    I think Portsmouth are looking great for this season…..a real winner all round eh?! LOL

• Zero

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM

ibiza you beat me to the portsmouth comment lol spending has nothing to do with success, it does have an underlying root in it though.

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM

How naive it is of Pardew and co to be so confident heading into this tie. It’s still al to play for. We have even unveiled our new ‘Euro’ strip without a certain guarantee we will progress pass this match. It would be much more than just embarraisng if we crash out tonight. I will certainly not be counting any chicks before they hatch as we could easily be knocked out. We should have taken much more from our away leg. One away goal is not good enough, although it’s better than nothing. I am certain Atromitos will go all out attack and if they clinch an away goal I can see our nerves getting the best of us and lose. We are very likely to leak a goal against, tricky opponents like these. I pray to God I am wrong because although this ain’t CL it would be such a shame and disrespect to the effort from the lads to reach 5th to finally take us ‘back into Europe’.

WE HAD BETTER WIN!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Spread….Oh yes indeedie! 🙂

• pawl250

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Infact I would actually play

——————— Krul ———————-

Simpson – Williamson – Colo – Santon

Jonas – Bigirmana – Cabaye – Marevaux

————- Cisse —– Ba ——————–

Strong side, get the job done. Cabaye and Cisse to boost fitness. We are at home, and again Saturday. With a 2 week international break to follow.

No need to play fringe players tonight!

• deeeeeeano

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM

That’s my team too pawl, amalfitano deserves a start and I said that cabaye should have started the last game too

• deeeeeeano

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Hope to see more from marveaux tonight aswell, he was disappointing in the away leg

• Spreadthetoon

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM

JP – calm down fella, its a home leg not being played in 40 degrees heat. Our tempo and strength and depth of squad is too good for these guys!

• deeeeeeano

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I meant your first line up not that one ????

• toonking

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

what will annoy me more than anything this season if we don’t sign another player is sunderland beating us in the derbies or finishing above us because when i looked at the table there is sunderland 5th and spent £12M for fletcher then the same price again for johnson yet max we spend on a player is 6mil and even our total is less than what they spent on one player

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Zero….I agree. You can’t not ever spend and expect to just bring through young players. However, I also don’t believe you need to throw £20m or 3-4 new players a year to progress.

Time will tell whether the board have made a balls up of this window.

JP….I will be devastated if we don’t get through tonight. I have said a million times PL should and is the priority, but not to get through this qualifier will be embarrassing and more likely to cause ill feeling within the squad than no new players arriving imo.

Let’s hope Pards and the boys get it right.

For those going….keep supporting the boys all through the game. As JP says, one goal down and they’ll need some help. Save criticism until after, not during.

• drongo

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

excelent cheers – got that channel I think

Look forward to seeing what Bigi is all about

• Slank

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

pawl250

I prefer your first lineup !

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Spreadthetoon – I am trying to lol I just find ourselves too overconfident in our ability. We are still finding our feet and will field a team that hasn’t really played much together. Knowing that and our dreadful history against lower opposition it would not surprise me to see us struggling. Hopefully you’re right and we’ll be too much for them in a cool night at St James’.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Toonking….Sunderland were more than Fletcher and Johnson away from us last season. They need some goals and those two will help them out. I doubt it will make them serious contenders for anything. Also, don’t like it, but derby losses do happen occasionally. That shouldn’t be our one major target for the season….just an added bonus of North East bragging rights.

Get the feeling I’m going to get slammed for that one.

• AusMagpie

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Hey guys, long time viewer/reader of this site! Very useful and recently addicted to checking for any updates almost hourly.

Can anyone tell me what time the game is tonight?

• drongo

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

cant rely on youth players?

ManU ‘s treble winning team – Nevilles, Scholes, Butt, Beckham, Giggs all youth team products

Barcas mesmerising team – Puyol, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, all youth team products plus Pique and Fabregas if you want to split hairs

All world class players were young once!

1 2 3 14