Newcastle In For New Defender Following Ryan Taylor Injury

When Ryan Taylor finally went off just 10 minutes into the game you had to think the injury to his right knee could be a serious one, and it could keep him out of the side for a while, and with James Perch also coming off near the end with a knock, it seems Alan Pardew is realizing his squad may not be as big, or as good, as he thought.

Ryan Taylor last night in agony – it looked serious

Newcastle struggled last night against Atromotis,  and we were lucky to go through by winning night 1-0 to win the overall tie by 2-1. Now Newcastle are in the hat for the Europa League group stage draw to take place later this morning.

But it seems that Newcastle may now enter the transfer market for a defender, to cover for what is not a large group of top defenders at Newcastle – funny that we remember saying that last May too – but we’vbe only brought in Curtis Good, the 19 year-0ld Australian,  to fortify the defensive ranks since then – so far.

Alan Pardew has today admitted that he may have to enter the market today if Taylor’s injury is as bad as feared:

“I don’t know yet, it just doesn’t look particularly good, if I am honest. It’s his knee.” “I fear that the news isn’t going to be good on that injury, which is a shame because Ryan Taylor is an important player for us. We will have to wait and see.”

“I think Perch’s is not too serious. But the problem with all these games is that you lose players to injury and suspension. They mount up, so we have to be very, very careful.”

“The Ryan Taylor injury will make me think about whether we perhaps need another defender. I shall go to see the chairman and have a discussion with him.”

With James Perch also going off last night, it shows how small and fragile the playing ranks still are at Newcastle, and we’ll not even mention we only have two experienced strikers fit in Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse, and that Shola Ameobi always misses at least half a season through injury which is not an opinion or a criticism  – it’s a fact.

And we see that Adam Campbell has officially been added to the striker first team rights on the Newcastle web-site, and we were surprised he didn’t get a run out in the last 15 minutes last night – Adam could have caused the Greek side some problems with his pace.

Maybe Newcastle will go in for a player today, but the  main  news so far, is there’ s no news of any big club coming in for one of our top players – not yet anyway.

Here’s hoping we can a good defender through the door today – but that surely has to be a long shot?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• darrenfletcher88

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Only one man, dubuchy!!! Pay the fee, fly him in, done!!

• Markaccus

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Ed, what game were you watching? We didn’t struggle at all, we could have had 10 goals last night! Obertan terrorised their fb! Their chances came in the second half, and they didn’t have that many. We had loads of corners. A bit unusual for you to be so negative, ed.

• stestickle

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:29 AM

cant see any arrivals been here before will be normal speil about we tried but couldent get them over the line. Hopefully none gone though.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Today I would like a full back and centre back and I’m happy.

Not bothered whether the player is a cheap one at 1million or a more established name at 10million.

As long as they are good enough to compete for a first team spot in happy.

Ideally bring in debuchy and yanga-mbiwa if I had my choice.

If no signings I still believe this squad can get us top 6.

• Markaccus

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Darren, lille will whack up the fee now that we need him. Ash won’t fork out 15m+ for him, which is probably what they’ll ask for now. Playing our more important players always risked this outcome. I think we’ll just have to make do and mend. We should be ok, as long as no one else gets hurt

• darrenfletcher88

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:33 AM

@mark, obertan was good last night I think he will start on Sunday, he was more direct! Beat the man whip it in,great all night for me!

• Nick 69

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Markaccus – what game were you watching? We were poor last night, we did struggle, as we couldn’t put the game to bed. And it proved that a lot of our second string/youngsters are nowhere near good enough/ready to put up a decent challenge in the first team. You say Obertan terrorised there full back, yet all I seen was Obertan having the beating of him for pace and skill with absolutely NO end product whatsoever, none of his crosses were put into the right/dangerous areas at all

• jimmymac

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM

@Markaccus – I think Ed is referring to the game whereby our keeper should have been sent off and they should have had a penalty before half time. Krul also had to make too many saves against an opposition of that standard.

I think we have a good squad but we really need CB & FB cover & potentially a Striker.

• shear-class

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Would love to see Debuchy come but i fear Anita will cover this position and Pardew will be told to politely to F Off by Ashley

• arroeben

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Does defender refer to full back or centre back?

• jimmymagpie

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:38 AM

jimmymagpie // Aug 31, 2012 at 8:33 AM

We aren’t going to lose anybody, but I don’t think we’re going to sign anyone either. No point revisiting Pieters or Debuchy – they’re both injured, Pieters long-term! I’ll give you one possibility, that I know was being discussed last night – Danny Rose of Spurs, possibly on loan. Just passing on a whisper!

• Markaccus

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Getting away with a penalty decision is not the same as struggling. Having most of the ball but not quite managing to quite get the ball in the net is not the same as struggling. Struggling is not keeping the ball, conceeding lots of corners and being out played. Non of which happened! Negative people only pick out the negative things, even when there are not many and dwell on them too much. Take a look at yourselves, what a disapointing way to follow the club. Sad, so sad.

• thebionicMAG

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Markaccus

They could have had 2 penalties as well as 3 or 4 goals of their own and we could have and should have been a man down. ‘Could have’ doesn’t cut it in any form of life let alone sport. We struggled to score goals, that is not an opinion its a fact. If we hadn’t of struggled we would have scored them.
    ‘Ober terrorised their FB?’ But where was the killer cross that found Demba?
    ‘We had loads of corners?’ But were any dangerous? Did we score from any. In fact when was the last time we even scored from a corner?
    Ed is not being negative, he’s just being honest.

• stretchintoon

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:40 AM

i thought R/M had got Debauchy,if not we should pull out all the stops for him,we want him he’s top class & he wants to come here + if he comes cabaye’s happy…come on ashley get the cheque book out!!

• Owldman

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Cant see us getting Debauchy another club has offered more than we have & Lille are still in champions league.Taylors injury looks a bad one Surprised they let him hobble off rather than carry him.No doubt we will have more news later.We could of course go for a season long loan for a defender.

• Spuggy

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Have to assume FB if it’s to replace Raylor. It also means we’d given up on defenders and weren’t looking to sign anyone.

It’s a long game and sometimes you have to be patient and wait 1-2 windows to get the right opportunities.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:41 AM

If I’m reading that corectly ‘ I will go to see the chairman and see if perhaps we need another defender’ its took an injury to a very average midfielder to perhaps decide whether or not to buy a defender on desdline day. WTF is going on behind the scenes at this club.

• Aza9

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I hope Pards is joking that he has left it until the last day of the transfer window to have a discussion with the chairman to potentially bring someone in. I would like to think that we were active in the market before the injury to Taylor considering we have only brought it one senior player. We needed another striker and a fullback/centreback this window and they have failed to deliver up to now…really disappointed.

• davybtoon

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM

What’s the point of goin for debuchy he has a serious ankle injury

• darrenfletcher88

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I had a argument with a guy last night who was sitting next to me at the game last night, for one he was swearing all night and there were loads off kids around, but he was constantly slating obertan, yes it’s his opinion which he has a write to voice but it was all night, I snapped I said give the guy a break it’s the best he’s played for us and u still slate him!!! He’s on 30 k a week numpty replied, could u do any better fat boy?? No shut the f up, not another whisper!!! Was it u nick?? Just messing

• Nick 69

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Markaccus – of course not being able to put the ball in the net is struggling, theres more than one way to struggle, we STRUGGLED to score, we STRUGGLED to put the tie to bed.

• Markaccus

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM

ThebionicMAG, so ‘could have’ doesn’t cut it? So how come in your first sentence you use ‘could have’ twice to try and prove how poor we were and how much better atromitis were? I’m not even willing to discuss this further. I have lost faith in humanity with the negative (and in your case, stupid) comments!

• davybtoon

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Some right tools on here wanting us to sign an injured player to replace an injured player

• stretchintoon

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Last night our set pieces were terrible & although we had a weakened squad we were poor against a poor side.Gosling was worse than ordinary as was 70% of the lads,imo.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Good morning Nufcblog!

Today is the day (in case you had forgotten). I see we have a good balance of posters in for the fun and games.

Anyone think today may be the day where all of our refresh buttons finally die? F5 is looking a little wobbly already….might ask MA if he’ll buy me a new one, what do you reckon?

• davybtoon

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Jimmymagpie – Danny rose good player wouldn’t mind that think the Mackems want that same deal

• Markaccus

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Only 1 pen decision had any chance, coloccini didn’t even touch the guy for the second one. Number of deflections to stop the ball going in the net for us was huge. Keeper got lucky a few times, so if all the ‘could haves’ happened, wed have won about 10-4.

• davybtoon

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Do ppl watch the match properly thought gosling, biggie, marveux n obertan were brilliant last night

• jimmymagpie

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Morning Ibiza – I’m just off for breakfast, nothing personal, I assure you. I’ll talk to you later.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:47 AM

One little complaint. Now maybe I’m putting 2+2 together, however, the weather is cr*p here today. Is all the negativity from Newcastle forcing the weather over here? It’s spreading like wild fire. Stop it now….before it’s too late and there is no sun left anywhere. Think of the children….think of my tan (which I haven’t been able to work on yet).

• darrenfletcher88

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I had a argument with a guy at the game last night, he was swearing his head of which was wrong coz there were family’s sitting next to him,that’s just for starters, he was bashing obertan all night, I snapped and said its the best the lad has played and u still slate him, he’s on 30k a week he replied, well could u do any better fat boy?? No shut the F&uk up, not another whisper!! Was it u nick???lol just messing

• davybtoon

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:49 AM

We need a defender in even if it is on loan b really dissapointed if we don’t get one In
    Honestly believe we ain’t got one bcoz we were gonna get peiters in jan

• Markaccus

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Morning, ibiza, unfortunately its mostly negative, abouit how bad we were last night. I am not allowed to use ‘could have’ to defend us, but apparently they can use it to prove their arguments. Not balanced I’m affraid. -sigh-

• thebionicMAG

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Markaccus.
    Thats exactly why I used your ‘could have’ I was being ironic. ‘Could have’ doesn’t mean anything. Do you get that?
    So, I am stupid because I have an opinion that differs from yours? Here we go again, people justifying their opinions with nasty disrespectful comments…
    I will keep a dignified silence. I think the majority of fans on this blog are intelligent and switched on enough to see who’s wearing their Toon tinted glasses and who’s not, and who is being disrespectful.

• jimmymagpie

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Davy @ 19 and 22 – you’re right mate, some people on here don’t even follow the game outside of their own little bubble.

• thebionicMAG

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Markaccus.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Jimmy…..Cheers mate, I’ll try not to take it too personal, although emotions are running high today and I may just cry a wee bit. Enjoy your breakfast.

Davy….You thought Gosling was brilliant? Certainly not one for player bashing, but talking about last night, he didn’t seem to have a good game imo. I still think he needs some games though and a chance. Agree on the other 3 though, of course there were some miss hit passes, crosses, shots etc, but this happens week in week out, the fundamentals are there and with more playing time they could be important players for us this season.

• davybtoon

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Darrenfletcher don’t even get me started about argueing with ppl about obertan, honestly there is some ppl shouting at him to cross it n know one is in the box idiots

• HullMag6

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Pray everyone (anything is worth a try)

Debuchy

Pieters

Remy/Babel

• davybtoon

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Ibiza he kept the ball well n passed well he was solid