Newcastle Given Favorable Group Draw In Europa League

Newcastle United have been given a favorable draw in Monaca this morning, when the groups were picked for the Europa league. and Newcastle were drawn to face Bordeaux (France), Club Brugge (Belgium) and Maritimo (Portugal) in their Europa League group stage.

That’s an excellent draw for Newcastle and there’s absolutely no reason, Newcastle now cannot do very well in the six games we will play before the end of the year, two games each at home and away against each group side.

The players all watched the draw take place, and he had this to say on Newcastle’s web-site:

“The squad enjoyed it, watching it all come in there, and I’m sure our fans would have as well.” “My gut reaction is that the travelling is good, so I’m pleased about that – I didn’t really want to go to the Ukraine or Russia or anywhere.

“The teams are of the standard you would expect in Europe so it’s a toughish group; not the toughest by any means, but not the weakest so it’s a test for us.”  “I’m pleased about that. It’s always a nice for a football club to do something different and our fans will enjoy that.”

“They’re great cities to visit – Bordeaux is a great city and so is Brugge, and I’m sure our fans are going to love that. I don’t know too much about Maritimo but we’ll obviously start working now to find out as much information as we can.”

“Last time at West Ham, we drew the top team in Serie A at the time,” he recalled. “Palermo had the best team in their history at that point so we were bloody unlucky!”  “This draw – and the draw in the qualifier – has been a little bit easier on me and I’m pleased about that on a personal level.”

“On a Newcastle level, I just think they’re great trips for our our fans. I don’t think they’re going to break the bank, those trips, for our fans as well and that’s important.”  “Now it’s just about making sure that we win three or four of the games to get through.”

“We played two Champions League teams – Olympiakos and Braga are both in the Champions League and we won that little tournament out there.” “They’re at the same level as us so I think we’re of the level. It’s just about making sure that we’re right for these games and I think we can look forward to them.”

The interesting thing is that Newcastle have never played any of their group rivals before in Europe, so it’s going to be all new for Newcastle, but we will probably need a stronger side than we played last night against Atromitos to proceed past the group stages.

Maybe playing half the first team in the group games can get us through the group stages?

We can now do very well in Europe this season.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Good group a like it

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Does anyone know how much it would cost for a day trip to Brugge ? 😉

• Toon73

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM

We are up against it to get through.

Hopefully no injuries.

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Derek has left the building. Derek Llambias has left Newcastle’s training ground. #STWTransfers #nufc

• bazrazmataz

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I get the feeling pardew feels he has not been backed I think he might walk in the next week

• dmac

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Pardew says we wont sign anyone. Last time he said that we got Papiss haha! Call me naive but im hopeful

• Toon73

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Thought Derek was at the Europa Draw..?

• geordiejamie89

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM

good group, we’ll have to send out more first team players though. perhaps ben arfa to play 45 mins of prem and europa games.

• pardew no 1

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM

this is such a boring day

• alkinou

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Bruge’s stadium is 1h40minutes away from my house by car, this is my chance to see Newcastle play for the first time, I’m so excited

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Dmac
    Your so fcuking niave its embarrasing……… But so am i lets get ’em over the line!

• Robson Wonderland

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Even if we don’t get anyone else – let’s not forget, we have had many MUCH worse windows than this. Current team is very good and we have Papisse, Ben Arfa and S.Taylor for a whole season – (I hope!)

• Jonny

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Van Der Wiel is the name that i keep seeing pop up online?

But seen as we have absolutely no activity whatsoever, what do you think about Belgiums chances at the World Cup?
    Courtouis
    Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen
    Dembele, Fellaini, Defour, Hazard, Mertens
    Lukakau, Miralis.

• Shane

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Moutinho is just an expensive Cabaye, it’s all good.

• rftc6

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM

@ bazrazmataz

For gods sake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! – Support your team or support manure – its up to you

• hoppernufc

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM

It’s so demoralising watching everyone else buying players and us doing f*uck all, if we don’t sign anyone it’s a pure disgrace

• Transfer Sage

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Micah Richards medical due anytime

• hoppernufc

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM

It’s so demoralising watching everyone else buying players and us doing f*ck all, if we don’t sign anyone it’s a pure disgrace

• gfp13

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM

@jonny
    Belgium are my tip for the next euros. They also have axel witsel and Toby alderweireld. 4 years time in the euros I imagine will be a time when all the team are in their prime. I do think the world cup may be a little early but with a bit of luck who knows.

• darrenfletcher88

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Transfer sage,don’t make me laugh u fool,he’s got a broken foot anyway

• HullMag6

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Honestly would love richards at the toon, played u21s with saylor but like any idea now its all down to the numbers.

As for berba – outside our policy but if cheap enough good european experience to tap into.

Ok if David Craig is in scumderland wheres jim white? (spotted at Newcastle central).

Dereks been @ benton – the game is afoot gentlemen.

• Markaccus

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM

We can field 2 teams with the players we have. So in busy weeks we can mix and match the first choice players with the backup ones. I have listed 2 players in each position, none are repeated:
    Rb simmo-tav
    Lb santon-perch
    Cb colo-willo-stayls-good (any 2)
    Cdm cabs-tiote-anita-bigi (any 2)
    Rw amalf-ober
    Lw jonas-marv
    Amf hba-vuckic
    Cf cisse-ba.

Have not listed raylor (long term out I think) ameobis to come in, abied, gosling. I think we’re ok to be honest.

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Sage- P**s off!!

• psutty80

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Its not looking good for a replacement for Raylor… Given up with anyone else coming in, not for the sake of signing anyone, just to try and strengthen the squad in key areas.
    But not silly money either. Just simular signings we made last couple of years, cabaye or tiote esq, 4 million or so, as i believe that we are running the club the right way.

• Les Grossman

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Robson wonderland
    Youhave hit the nail on the head mate
    We have pappiss Ben arfa and Taylor for the whole season!!!

And if they get injured say on Sunday? Then who!!

Its plain to see by 99% of the fans that we despeartely need strengthening. Up front in particular .
    Papiss injured, Ba injured or Senegal get throught to the ACON?

Strikers
    Shola (Injured again)
    Campbell. 17 Year Old ??

People are saying Senegal wont get through!! Can you say that for certain?

I am genuinely worried. I am a usually a Faithfull ‘BOD’ backer and agree with their transfer blueprint, but NOT when it is putting us at risk of going backwards, more than taking us forwards.

And I believe the lack of activity and signings of ‘2-3 Quality Players’ will have us stood still as a minimum!!

• gfp13

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM

@markaccus
    Looking at that we do have decent enough depth to cope but I’d like 1 or 2 brought in just to sure things up

• shearerclass09

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM

@magpies-till- he’s not going to do any business the little owl has just aboutgone home.

• shearerclass09

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM

@magpies-till- he’s not going to do any business the little owl has just gone home.

• FatmanJoe

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Les

You can’t buy expensive players just to sit on the bench or just in case of an injury. The trouble we have is that we did so well with our starting 11 last season that any potential incoming player knows they wouldn’t be walking into the starting line up. Hard to convince someone class to leave their team to sit on the bench. Nearly every player Sunderland have bought had excellent reasons for leaving their clubs and wouldn’t be anywhere near our starting line up.

We’re fine.

• Markaccus

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Gfp13 yes it would be nice to have another 3 players, to suppliment the 22 on field I have listed (oops forgot keepers) krul-harps. Then the back up bench is (when all fit) ameobi X 2, gos, abied, campbell, raylor, cf, cb, fb. If we can sign those 3 in january, we should be ok till then.

• Markaccus

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Also backup keeper elliot. I keep forgetting keepers lol

• gaza25

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Hey im new here. What about a move for babel he has just been released by hoffenheim and could do a job while the demba’s go to acon. just a thought what do u think lads. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8036433/Hoffenheim-release-Babel

• Belgian

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM

#10 ALKINOU: where are you from?

• h0sta

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

gaza25 i saw few matches where babel played but that was enough to hate him…seems useless to me forward who can´t score a goal remember match between liverfool and sparta prague (i´m from czech republic) and he ruined that game for fools … don´t want him even if he pays for playing with nufc 🙂

• cupiddstunt

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Les Grossman @ # 24

“Its plain to see by 99% of the fans that we despeartely need strengthening. Up front in particular

99% a bit extreme don’t you think??? But in saying that It’s also plain to see from what is posted on here that the same “99%” of fans haven’t a clue as to how to run a football club

I for one am happy enough with the board’s actions, they made it quite clear that they have had a very clear set of criteria pertaining to any potential player target and also said that they would not be making any “panic” buys.

So we have been unable to get the bulk of the targets in and as a consequence there are posters on here even today calling for players in that have already signed for other teams, I’m just glad they have no control over the club I support.

I think we are ahead of the game in the five year plan so I for one do not see it as standing still.