Magpies Need To Show More Ambition To Keep Best Players

Vurnon Anita – only top player brought in over the summer

Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse, Cheick Tiote, Fab Coloccini and Yohan Cabaye were players interesting other clubs, and with only one major new signing made in the summer – a good one in Vurnon Anita from Ajax –  we also know that some of the players were disappointed Newcastle didn’t bring in more players to improve their squad.

All players like to be at successful clubs, and they like to win things, although we are reminded we haven’t won anything since 1969, but the lack of ambition shown by Newcastle this summer may have turned the heads of some of Newcastle’s best players.

This is what Alan Pardew said in the Telegraph today:

“The window should be shut before a ball is kicked, because it is unfair on us teams, that our players’ heads get turned.”  “Have one or two of our heads got turned in terms of that dressing-room? Possibly, probably the manager is the last to know. I’ve heard little bits of rumours here and there, a bit like the press do, and I try to ignore it.”

“Is it a factor in performances levels? It probably is, and it certainly has been for Wigan and Victor Moses and Scott Sinclair at Swansea.”  “It’s unfair on those teams and it’s unfair on us. If I was at Man City, every team I played while the window was open I’d link myself with a couple of players, why not?”

“When the window shuts, there’s a bit more clarity in the mind of players. You’re here now, until January, at least, so get your arse in gear.”  “That would be the message, not just from me, but from every Premier League manager, I’m sure, apart from Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea, whose players aren’t going to move.”

“I think keeping our best players makes a strong statement, from owner Mike Ashley in particular.”  “He’s had a fair bit of criticism here, for perhaps not investing in the club or not being fully focused, or wanting to sell it and so on, but if that’s the case why didn’t he cash in on one of the big hitters?”

“I’m sure Mike would love to be in the Amsterdam Arena in the Europa League final,  with his Newcastle shirt on looking to us to win it, but we have to understand that it’s been a long time since we’ve been there.”  “A lot of my team have no experience of Europe – we showed that against Atromitos. We are naive at times, but we’ll grow into it hopefully.”

“This draw gives us the chance to do it. We’re not going to Inter Milan or to Germany to play one of their top teams, so we’ve escaped a little bit in the draw, and hopefully we can gain some experience.”

We think Newcastle will still do well this season,  and fans may be underestimating the value of players like James Perch, Ryan Taylor, and a lot of the youngsters coming through, who are one year better than they were last summer, and we still have Demba Ba.

But players always like to see the squad strengthened, because they want to play in Europe and want to win things during their careers, which are often quite short, so although this was a window in which we didn’t bring in many top players, Newcastle will need to continue to improve their squad in January and next summer, otherwise we could see some players wanting to move on.

The evidence is there, that players’ heads were turned by bigger and more ambitious clubs coming after them in the summer.

Of course the players’ (and fans’) doubts will all be washed away if Newcastle can finish in the top six again this season, but that’s going to be a lot more difficult than last term, or there again we could win the Europa League – wouldn’t that be nice.

We’ll have to see how we do through Christmas, but if we are only in mid-table come January,  don’t be surprised if  Newcastle try to fortify their  squad at that time – I hope we try to fortify the squad at that time.

But first things first – and let’s go out hammer Aston Villa on Sunday, and we’ll feel a lot better. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• nufc786

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:25 AM

repost-
    we all wanted to make the transition in to the top 6 with a couple of signings…….
    positives are tht we brought very promising youngsters and 1 class cm
    negatives is tht we waited and waited promised by the fact tht we were going for the likes of debuchy etc…… for months….. its understandable because we shouldnt have toyed around with these deals….. quickly dealt with and over the line…….
    sometimes MA you cannot get wht u want u have to give a bit more……..
    but never mind just pray we survive for jan and hopefully we will get the players we need…..

we can slate MA and DL all we want but the truth is the transfer window has gone……. well atleast until january

until then i have faith in the starting 11 and our youngsters…….. and AP of course…

• nufc786

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:26 AM

and our fringe players……

• geordiemacc

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Hear hear.

• PapissSmurf

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:29 AM

The words ‘missed’ and ‘opportunity’ spring to mind.

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Exactly, we’re pretty much exactly the same.

We finished 5th in a season where Arsenal and Chelsea were poor (even if Arsenal were lucky), Liverpool were abysmal, Tottenham messed up from January.

This season Chelsea look challengers, Tottenham much stronger, Arsenal about the same but with Cazorla instead of Van Persie, Fulham & Everton look MUCH stronger.

I am not too chuffed about our business relative to our rivals.

• Mystic Mike's Iron Curtain

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Cabaye has certainly looked like he’s been a little absent minded so far, would explain his displays.

• nufc786

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:34 AM

gonufc
    just gonna have to prove the doubters wrong again…. i suppose just like last season…… well until half a season becuz we cannot carry on like this…..

hopefully next transfer window in jan will be more satisfying and deals will be made sharpish….. otherwise plan b sharpish….

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:34 AM

“Alan Pardew has admitted today that some of Newcastle’s top players were interested in some of the clubs that were making approached for them in the summer transfer window.”

Really Ed? That’s not what Pardew said. Come on… there’s no need to try and wind people up even more.

• MacToon

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Magpies Need To Show More Ambition To Keep Best Players?

Could it be too late, only time will tell.

From what Pardew say’s it seem he isn’t told much on the actual dealings, wonder if he’s happy with that… again only time will tell.
    Sh1te window imho and I can’t believe no one’s that bothered about all the extra tacky advertising Ashley’s 71% brings to SJP and £3 mil worth of players from it’s revenue, as if.

• Tiote4PM

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Cabaye has been off form.

Hopefully we get settled quickly and kick on early this season like last.

Pardew is peeved you can tell. Hope we can make some inroads to strengthen in Jan.

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM

gonufc

Liverpool & Tottenham fans are very unhappy with their transfer business – everyone always feels they’re hard done by.

Liverpool have been left with ONE out and out striker at the club, Borini, who looks like it’ll be a while before he’ll be PL-ready.

Tottenham now have a squad that may well actually be thinner than ours. AVB has also upset a few players by trying to flog them with a couple of days to go, ie. Parker, Dawson, Lennon.

• nufc786

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM

its early days for cabaye….. just get match fitness and sharpness and get ready to go……. heck of a rollercoaster ride this season……..

• nick_9

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Go nufc my thoughts exactly, a lot of other teams have stengthened and if we were ahead of them last season they have certainly bridge the gap.
    Manchester city
    Manchester united
    Chelsea
    Tottenham
    Arsenal
    Everton

All look very strong with teams like

Liverpool
    Fulham
    Swansea

Looking good it could be a painful season. All of the above will do well and other games such as stoke, Southampton, west ham, qpr and the mackems could prove to be revolt ties. Bit more nervous about this season now unfortunately

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I’ve always felt that Mike Ashley was basically a good if naive bluff guy in relation to his initial involvement with NUFC. When the fans turned on him it seemed a classic example of the adage “no good deed will go unpunished” and reflected far worse on us than him. He did smarten up quick and to his great credit has dramatically turned things around for himself and the club, but I’m afraid he has let his manager and his players down by not sufficiently strengthening the 1st team squad. They deserve far better after their remarkable efforts and achievements over the past 18 months. It’s both surprising and disappointing!

• ToonBry

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Hey lads. Well i have to say im dissapointed we didnt sign anyone but im mega happy we didnt lose anyone. Dont forget that we got anita and we have marveaux back whos been like a new signing. Full back places are totaly covered with perch, anita and jonas who can all play there perfectly. Infact id love to see santon on the right, jonas left back and marveaux infront of jonas. I cant wait to see what marveaux and ben arfa are like together as they will rip defenses apart.

• Graeme

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I think the statement is a load of bollox and Pardeau is as pissed off as every other NUFC fan. We have effectively gone backwards since the end of the season with a total lack of ambition shown by the club.

There was a chance to capitalize on a season beyond expectation with a few crucial signings which would really take the team / club forward.

We are in Europe, with all the extra revenue it will generate, which, unlike the CL, is not massive. We have a huge boost in income coming through; we have improved financial situation because of last season, yet have, by comparison, spent sweet FA to try and keep us there.

The lack of ambition by the club can not be disguised by platitudes from Pardeau. The situation stinks.

• nick_9

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Tottenham fans are not happy? They made some good signings and showed intent trying to get moutinho and remy. I cannot see them being unhappy but you obviously said that for a reason. Do you know some spurs fans or been looking at Internet posts? Spurs lost modric and van der vart but vdv has been hit and miss so 10 million is a good price and modric liked rubbish last season. I’ve seen comparisons between modric and silva which I find laughable

• Super Magpie

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Isnt it Ironic how Pardew has told the players to get their arses into even if they want to leave? I would be telling that to Ashley and Llambias.

Nick

Good to know someone agrees with me. Things can change very quickly. 3 months ago everyone was relishing the upcoming season and now it’s back to the doom and gloom of old. The fact that one of our most versatile players is out until atleast Christmas and the board Turning down a request to bring someone in for cover is laughable really. I don’t know why we went after Debuchy and then fail. Resulting in us just giving up altogether.

• MacToon

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:47 AM

It does seem a shame that after the high of finishing 5th that by the end of the transfer window we mostly seem deflated, cheers Ashley 😉

Well we have atleast 6 European games to look forward to and hopefully an ok prem season, I think we wont even bother against Man U in the whateveritscalledcup.

• BelfastMagpie

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Good post Grame.
    Agree with everything you said.

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:49 AM

ToonDownSouth – Yeah, I accept that about Liverpool, but it’s unlikely they will underperform to such an extent for another season.

I think Spurs have strengthened considerably with Dembele (Class), siggurdson and Dempsey. Even if AVB may have upset a few people and we’ll have to wait and see how Lloris does in England.

Those teams have atleast attempted to strengthen.

Just feel underwhelmed.

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:50 AM

nick_9

I post on a couple of general football forums. From last season they’ve lost 2 fan favorites, and they’ve bought in Vertonghen, Dembele and Dempsey. They’ve also dumped a few of squad players, leaving them very thin and reliant on youngsters.

They also only have 2 senior strikers at the club. So again, all this talk about how much weaker our squad is than Tottenhams, Liverpools, Arsenals etc just isn’t true.

Was it you, or someone else, who was saying this afternoon that liverpool would surely bring in a few more players? They didn’t though..

Arsenal fans are also livid – they’re all convinced Giroud and Podolski are donkeys after two games haha.

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Oo, Sigurdsson. I forgot about him – a very good signing actually. They’ve got a lot of depth in AM, but nowhere else really.

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Mac

Let’s just hope that Manchester United aren’t too bothered either – then all we have to contend with is Welbeck & Hernandez 😉 It’s OK, they’re no Perchinho’s.

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Forgot about Swansea!! Pablo from Valencia?!?!?! Where did that come from, just amazing signing.

I’m excited about watching them but annoyed about 2 things: 1. That we didn’t make a signing like that. and

2. That we’ll have to put up with pundits saying “He’s an unknown foreign player who’s come from nowhere!” Christ sake….

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I should clarify, I’m not trying to argue with anyone being disappointed. I’m also disappointed, but had no expectation.

I just though I’d point out that there’s other clubs feeling just as deflated.

Imagine actively loaning out your only CF one day before the transfer deadline, then failing to sign anyone. Ludicrous.

• NUFC STEVE

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Yes it is great that we kept our best players but when that is the best thing we done in the transfer market it shows we lack ambition and are not a big club.There were great bargains we could of had e.g.Mbia,Mirallas,Granero but we chose not to spend and that just isn’t good enough for the club we all love and will continue to NEWCASTLE UNITED.

• nick_9

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I honestly believe Pardew wanted new faces, we can all see areas that need improving so
    I’m sure he can. I suspect Alan wanted signings but mike wouldn’t give the go ahead because we needed to raise the money from player sales. Alan looked very unhappy but I think he is lying in his interviews so the fans don’t think their is a rift or difference between him and the board. Pardew always tries to make out like everything is rosy and how he wants it with regards to the running of the club, he gives off the impression everything is going fine. “I’ve slept on it and don’t think we need any new players” translates to mike wont sanction a deal because it would mean more outlay with no immediate return. Perhps if we sell a player one of our targets might magically become available. You can see Pardew puts on a brave face and makes out like he is in control but I doubt how much of a say he has yet he is going to face the brunt of frustration when times are hard and I suspect he will grow sick of it.

Anyone prepared to say where they think we will finish nd what league position they find acceptable?

• BelfastMagpie

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I said the other day,that the lack of investment wasn’t the best way to go about keeping your better players.

Do people honestly think Cabaye etc Go around saying Ashleys great,he wont be held to ranson,happydays we’re self sufficent lol

They would most likely want Ashley & co to show some ambition,just like us.

• MacToon

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Thought Podolski looked ok. Seems to have been a lot happening elsewhere so impossible for me to gauge how strong other teams are atm, Everton are the team atm though imo apart from the obvious others.

• Super Magpie

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Debuchy- tbh nobody knows what went on in that deal. Did we offer enough or did they F*ck about.

Luuk De Jong- We actually didn’t offer enough. He went for €20m.

Douglas- We should have done everything we could to have got him. We desperately need defenders.

Carroll- I was never keen tbh. We were priced out of a move anyway.

And there is always other targets. So even after failing at bringing these players in, we should’ve moved down the list that we supposedly have.

But don’t worry, it’ll be fine in January because we’ll definitely bring the players we need in because Ashley is God.

• NUFC STEVE

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:59 AM

8-9th

• BelfastMagpie

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Still here Mactoon? buzz off 🙂

This is my moment,let me have it..

• MacToon

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:01 AM

TDS, although the whateveryoucallitcup is a quick way to Europe I think the European games will take priority as the the second priority after the premiership imho, I believe if we try and fight on 3 fronts at the same time we’ll really come a cropper.
    We’ve had a good draw in Europe so I’d understand if we threw the game against Man U, as if we would do that lol

• Super Magpie

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Nick

7th and above is acceptable. Looking at it now I can’t see us achieving this Unfortunetly.

• nick_9

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Tds – I only came on the blog tonight around half ten so it wasn’t me I’m afraid, although I will say I have to agree with who said it. After allowing Carroll and Adam to leave I would have expected them to bring a couple of players in, Dempsey being one. I think they have messed up and I bet Rodgers knows it.

Tottenham have signed lloris, vertongen, sigurdson, dembele, Dempsey and Adebayor so they haven’t done bad at all. Look at their other first teamers like bale, Lennon, parker, huddlestone, walker, Defoe and they look pretty healthy. Most of their new recruits came from the modric and vdv money so they have done similar to what we did with Carroll.

Arsenal and Liverpool fans will probably be disappointed and those are the two teams who might find this year a struggle, sadly I think with us.

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Mac

Pardew did say yesterday that there’s obviously no chance that the first 11 will be playing in that game. Easy decision it seems.

If we don’t make it out of the EL group, the FA Cup will start almost immediately, so we should be able to try and compete on that front.

I feel bad for Pardew. He did so so well last season that not even davybtoon would have predicted it, and yet he hasn’t been backed. But he can’t say anything, because he clearly wants to keep a good relationship with his employers (take note Mr Barton?). He’s in a lose-lose, tbh.

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I’ve been moaning and complaining with the best of them over our lack of top signings, but in reality who in the first team squad does actually deserve to be replaced. They’ve all served the side and club admirably and wholeheartedly.

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:07 AM

For everyone predicting a mid table struggle, it should probably be pointed out that we all thought we’d be battling relegation last season.

• nick_9

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:08 AM

If we finish in the top 10 I won’t be unhappy, at the moment I can foresee a fatigued group of players at the end of the season and a lot of other clubs have done a lot of business. Is it west ham or qpr who have signed 11 players? That’s shocking, I don’t know how they can sustain that. If they get relegated it would not bode well. Did we sign the lowest number of players even with the three youngsters?