Newcastle Need More From Demba Ba And Papiss Cisse

One of the surprises of the season so far is the way Newcastle have been without a cutting edge up front, and we’ve had both Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse in the side.

Papiss Cisse rifling the ball home in second half against Villa in February

But the only real threat was when Demba Ba scored his fantastic goal against Tottenham out of nothing, and Papiss Cisse has been very quiet so far this season.

Maybe we’ll see an explosion of their undoubted talents on Sunday, when we take on Aston Villa at St. James’ Park, and certainly a win in that game would keep most fans happy through the upcoming two week International break.

Papiss Cisse made his debut in the same fixture last year in February, when he blasted home his first goal for Newcastle when he beautifully brought the ball down on his chest and blasted the ball high into the net – a fantastic piece of skill from the Senegal International, and the only game in which both Dembas have scored for the Magpies.

Alan Pardew had this to say to the local press this morning:

“Our two strikers have been quiet.” “We need a bit more from them.” “I want to see them back to their best and tomorrow is an opportunity for them.”  “Villa will have a few senior players back.”

“You have to feel for them because they’ve had a lot missing. I feel for the manager and the club. They’ll be back though and it means we have to beat a better side.”  “They will probably play a diamond system against us.”

“That usually means an open game and a football game.” “I think our fans will see a great game if they come. They were at Chelsea and on Thursday against Atromitos.”  “I can only thank them, I thought they were brilliant.”

Cisse is still learning English, but he did manage to communicate with the Evening Chronicle today, and he had this to say when asked if could repeat his heroics of February:

“I hope so. That’s what I’ll be focused on tomorrow.”

Aston Villa have made a poor start under new boss Paul Lambert, with two league defeats, but his Norwich team earlier this year gave Newcastle all they could handle, before we won that game 1-0 with a  goal  from – who else – Papiss Cisse.

Papiss Cisse scoring winner against Paul Lambert’s Norwich last season

If  Demba Ba and Papiss Demba Cisse heed Alan Pardew’s warning tomorrow, we could get all 3 points against Villa, and hopefully show a lot more attacking prowess than we’ve shown so far this season.

That would be great!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Tiote4PM

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Offkey

Everyone in the squad will be motivated right now. From the youngsters right through to the first teamers.

Why?

Because everyone has a role to play this season. No one is a luxury. Have you ever worked in a team when you feel like an extra? It’s sh1t.

Even if Cabaye is feeling down, and he possibly will be, within a couple of days he will realise two things:

– He is essential to NUFC
    – The fans love him.

IF we can avoid lots of injuries, we have been lucky in recent history, then I expect a good PL campaign.

I see Europe as blooding our young and watching their development.

Football is back and I am feelin good!

• Mystic Mike's Iron Curtain

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

So 4-4-bloody-2 it is then.

• mackas7

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I’ve just been on the Villa blog to read what they had to say about tomorrows game, and they all seem to think that we are going to put 3/4 past the, none of them seem optimistic at all, they are unhappy with their transfer activity despite spending a net 18.5m thereabouts. I’m not comparing us to them by any means as we are a class above just saying we could be so much worse off.

I’m not to upset with the window as we’ve managed to keep all our important players, so providing those players don’t become despondent (why would they) I believe we can achieve a similar position this season aswe did last, the only other worry being injuries.

what’s everyones fancy for tomorrow? I hope we don’t go into this game thinking its a garunteed 3pts.

• nico

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

One thing I think Pardew will realise sooner or later is that Ba and Cissee can’t play together. 3 reasons,
    1. They are our only fit centre forwards and they will get to tired and fatigued.
    2. They don’t play well together as they are to similar
    3. We play better in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or variation of all 3 formations.

• manni

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I’m just glad Ramadan is over, Cumon cisse ,ba gets sum chicken tikka down u lol . Ba has looked far more sharper than cisse has so far. Looked really good against atrimos. Hopefully cisse gets a goal 2mrw

• arroeben

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Any idea what’s happen to nile ranger anyone?? Sammy Ameobi still posts pics of ranger on twitter!

• nico

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

My team for Sunday
    ———————–Krul———————–
    Simo——-Saylor——-Collo——-Santon
    ———-Perch (Bigi)—Anita—————-
    Arfa—————Cabaye————Marvo
    ———————-Cisse or Ba—————
    Subs: Obertan, Williamson, Campbell, Harper, Vuckic, Tav, Gosling.

Looking at this, our squad is thin for so many games.

• nico

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

arroeben
    Pards said Ranger would never play for the club again. He basically said he was an idiot

• Munster Mag

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Mystic Mike, as I promised you in the summer …4-4-2 it is. Pards said that he thought the two strikers could play together hen he signed Cisse, with Ba playing deeper. I think he may be wrong, and we’ve also lost the chance to buy a striker. But dont worry, we kept our big names. Are NUFC fans now so paranoid that all we can worry about is holding onto guys, not buying more players to show our top men that we are ambitious??? But then, we’re not ambitious , we’re just a vehicle for Sports Direct advertising!

• Munster Mag

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Kets, all those players u dreamed about – up in smoke!! How come Sunderland can spend money without fear of “doing a Leeds” and we cant , despite that fact that we made so much on Carroll ??? This was a chance to build on what we have – a chance totally lost. For those members of the MA Supporters Club ( accountancy division ) who told people like me to wait till the end of the window – well, I have waited. And you now have your answer. Lots of errors of judgement made by the blind optimists on this site, time to admit as much boys. But most of you arent capable of that.

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Has anyone noticed the speed that Ed is producing copy. He’s as prolific as Shakespeare. Does he have one or two ghosts at work?

• Transfer Sage

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Munster

I know keeping top players is something we take for granted but look at other sides.

Spurs lost modric.
    Arsenal lost van persie and song
    Everton lost rodwell

I imagine we would have sold if a good offer came in by who wouldn’t.

I would have lived another 2/3 signings this summer, would have likes us to spend similar to other teams but most teams net spend isn’t huge.

Everton strengthened after selling rodwell, Swansea after Alan an Sinclair left, arsenal after song and can persie and spurs after selling van der vaart and modric.

I think we are in for a good season. Last year nobody imagine 5th.

Chelsea were so poor under avb so maybe he will have that effect on spurs. He is already without the experience of king and vdv, both of whom had important parts to play last year.

Arsenal have always over played and struggled for goals, without van persie they might not pick up as many points.

Liverpool look much weaker especially with all those departures in the last 2 days..

I think top 8 for us at least, possibly 5/6th.

Injuries can ruin any other teams chances as much as ours. Most teams from 4-10th are one or two key injuries away from a difficult season.

• giimps

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I believe Nile and Xisco are still NUFC players and have not gone on loan so are available if required.
    We are a stronger team than last season due to having Anita rather than Smith, Amilfitano rather than Guthrie, BiGi, Curtis Good and a fit Marveaux are welcome additions as well as Saylor being fit.
    I realise we have little debth but Vukic, Gosling and Adam Cambell are a year closer to pushing for 1st team.
    We need to be lucky with injuries at fullback positions and Striker ,other than that were good.
    Starts tomorrow vs Villa HWTL

• sirtoongospel

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I think we will win well. I just hope that parses realises he has got it so badly wrong with 4-4-2. Cisse is better than BA, and we should play our best team not best individuals. 4-3-3 turns into 4-5-1 as soon as you lose the ball. It’s far more flexible. I know we have a good midfield and against weaker teams we can win games, but against the top teams who play 5 in midfield, we have looked poor. No time on the ball and we lump it forward. The forwards then look worse than they are. Watch cisse closely in a game, he is still making the runs and looks dangerous. We just can’t find him as we are getting overrun in midfield. If AP gets it right tactically, we can look a force. It’s imperative we get HBA into more attacking areas.

• bills-son

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Just read some of the comments about not selling our top players – unbelievable!

The Ashley haters have never stopped saying that he has no ambition and will trouser a profit. Now that he hasn’t sold a top player they say its because he’s too greedy and wants too much money. And, if he did sell, the greedy bstad wouldnt spend the fees. Bottom line – no matter what Ashley does, sell players, not sell players, he’s a greedy bstad. The blind stupidity of the anti- Ashley mob knows no bounds.

I’ve said it before, if I was Ashley I would sell the club at the first opportunity and stick two fingers up at the fans. And I’ll tell you this, unless he sold to cash rich billionaires the chances are the new owners would never run the club as well as Ashley. And we wont get a cash rich billionaire owners. Why? Because the mega players they would want to sign wont come and live in the North East. Spurs and West Ham are far more likely to attract another Maktoum than NUFC.

Under Ashley we have signed, given new contracts, and kept Krul, Colo, STaylor, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Anita, Guti, HBA, Ba and Cisse and STILL the guy is a greedy unambitious bstad that fans want out?

Can you not see how ridiculous your argument is? Who ffs do you think will buy the club and do a better job?

• nico

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM

My team for Sunday
    ———————–Krul———————–
    Simo——-Saylor——-Collo——-Santon
    ——————-Guti—-Anita—————-
    Arfa—————Cabaye————Marvo
    ———————-Ba———-—————
    Subs: Obertan, Williamson, Campbell, Harper, Tav, Cisse (Perch, Vuckic or Bigi)

• cockneymagpie90

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Nico

U got it spot on my friend and something is telling me he has figured this out already with no striker in on this window.

The best option for him tactically is a 451 formation like u say and with europe and the cups in sight i think they will still be happy being rotated as there is going to be around 50-70 games to get through, pluswe play better with 1 of them on the pitch.

I would of liked debuchy like everyone else but i think holding out til jan is not a bad move and should make him alot cheaper, plus theyl be knocked out the cl by then ;). For now i think we have enough back up in the full back position – Simmo, Santon, Perch, Tav, Guti.
    My line up for tomorrow…
    —————-KRUL—————-
    SANTON–COLLO–STAYLOR–ANITA
    ———TIOTE——–BIGI———-
    BENARFA—–CABAYE——AMALFIT
    —————-CISSE—————-
    Amalfitano is more special than u might think and is going to be s topplayer for us mark my word!!

HWTL!!!!!!

• cockneymagpie90

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM

My bad forgot Tiote was injured haha guti would be slotted in there instead but still a great line up 🙂

• arroeben

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Ooh so that means ranger and xisco are getting tons of money a week, to train, keep fit and not play a single game? Interesting..

• Les Grossman

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Bills son
    I have backed Ashley from day one! Your see know wrong attitude towards him is starting to scare me! Almost stalker like.

The point most make on here is the man has now given all the impression AGAIN that he has no ambition for this club!
    His little rat faced sidekick lamearse who I cannot stand and never have been able to, has already said every player has a price! No one is knocking this policy, I would great fully accept AC fee for any o our players, but I will never accept not reinvesting and replacing!

Only ambitious people want to better themselves, people with no ambition are content to sit still and take what they have!

The latter is certainly the impression mike Ashley has given to the masses!

And as for your comment, if I was him I’d sell and stick two fingers up to the fans! Sums you up you F11cking moron! Stick two fingers up to the people who put the money in his pocket and back their team to the hilt, and you condone that!

I’m afraid you have succeeded in nothing other than hacking off the lifeblood of nufc! W@nk@

• Les Grossman

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Oh and bills son!
    Please exercise your right to sticking your fingers up to the fans and f11cking off.
    Do us all a favour. Scum like you are not welcome!

• bills-son

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Lee Grossman – how is not selling any of our top players not showing ambition ffs? I dont have a see no wrong attitude towards Ashley, my gripe is against the fans who see no right. And as for sticking up two fingers, put yourself in Ashley’s shoes. He’s paid off most of the clubs debt, given us a £200M interest free loan and given us the best squad we’ve had in years plus European football and fans STILL hurl abuse at him?? Dead fkn right if I was him I’d be tempted to stick two fingers up at those fans giving me abuse.

• bills-son

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

And Lee Grossman, calling me scum just makes me laugh, I’ve supported NUFC for 50 years, been a season ticket holder for 37, sponsored player shirts and travelled all over Europe supporting the team. I was one of the 13000 fans still going to matches in the dark days of Second Division mediocrity, compared to then there is fk all to complain about now. Scum?? My sides are splitting.

• Munster Mag

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Billson, i’m not going throw abuse at you, but if you cant see that reasonable fans like me felt that 10-12million invested now in the team, to add to the quality that we have ( well done MA for keeping them ) , then I’m afraid you have lost sight of whats going on. Think about it.

• Les Grossman

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Bills son
    Go stick your tongue back up Ashley’s arse you moron!
    You have no credibility on here!
    50 years ?
    Think you need to grow up you old arse!
    Spitting your dummy out coz FANS exercise their right to freedom of speech!
    As for the criticism Ashley takes! Brings it all on himself!

• yorkshire_magpie

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

So our game is not live. Damn I was looking forward to that game!

• Charlietoon

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Les Grossman you are as stupid as the character you have named your self after. Well done.

• Charlietoon

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Spurs must have had a shocking window…what with them making 20 mill! We only spent 4 mill so logic says we did badly. Same people whinging now about the window now that were saying “We only spent $3.5 mill on some guy called Tiote, only paid 4.5mill for Cabaye” not long ago. The same idiots who were patting themselves on the back when we got cisse for such fantastic business despite the fact we had refused to pay the asking amount 6 months ago. That discretion saved us about 5 mill worked out beautifully. But no…Ashley has no ambition because he refuses to waste money.

• veto

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM

they just need a decent spell together where they are not being moved around and im sure they will both start to hit their stride

• bills-son

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Lee Grossman – I have no credibility on here? Says who? You? Since when did you speak for every blogger on here? Your abusive response just makes you look an idiot.