The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Surprising Simpson Still At Newcastle And Debuchy Didn’t Arrive

9:08 am, Saturday, September 1st, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

Danny Simpson is still at Newcastle after the transfer window closed last night, and that’s a bit of a surprise, since Alan Pardew had said earlier this year that if he didn’t sign his new contract on Tyneside,  he would be moved out in the summer.

Danny Simpson – still here after all these years

Newcastle could have got around £2M for Simpson if we had sold him this summer, and we could have done that if we had brought in French International right back Mathieu Debuchy, who’s a better player.

But we seemed to haggle over around €1M with Lille on Debuchy’s transfer fee, and we just don’t understand why Newcastle did that, because we’ve lost more money by not bringing the Frenchman in – since it looks like we could lose Simpson next summer and get nothing for him.

This is what Danny said today when interviewed in the Newcastle Journal, and it’s good he’s still talking about signing a new deal at Newcastle, which would solve everything:

“I’m still here, just call me the great survivor.” “Personally, I never doubted I’d be here after the deadline despite everything that was being said.”   “I’ve always said I’m happy here and I’ve got one year left on my contract, why would I want to leave a team that finished fifth last season and is now in the Europa League?”

“When you look at all the players we’ve got I’m hoping for another great season here. I haven’t let the uncertainty unsettle me, it’s just the type of person I am, I just get on with it and give 100%.”   “I knew I’d still be here because I get on well with all the lads and the manager.”   “I spoke to the manager and I get on well with him.”

“I knew he was trying to get other players in but that’s good for the team. We want a bigger squad as players, we want to progress in every competition and you need strength in depth.”  “I never once let the Debuchy chase affect me, even though I knew players might come in. I enjoy training, I enjoy playing and I enjoy being at Newcastle. I’m happy here. I’ve said it and I’ll say it again.”

“I don’t know if the fans think otherwise but I want to sign a new contract. At the moment, things between the club and me have stalled, but there’s still a year left to work it out. The main thing is that this window is now shutting and I can concentrate on these matches.”

“We want to win to get six points and a place in the Europa League, which would be a very satisfying start to the season. We want SJP to be a tough place to come and we’ve already won our first two games here, so let’s make it three out of three. They’ve had two poor results, but they will come up here hungry and desperate for points. But we know when we’re at home with those fans, we’re tough to beat.”

“I know fans have their own opinion of me but that’s part of football,” “The main thing is that I’m here, I get on well with the lads, they want me to stay and the manager’s happy for me to be here. I’ve never seen it as a problem and I’ve now got a lot to look forward to, some big nights in Europe and I’m glad we got through on Thursday, that was the main thing.”

It will be interesting to see  if Newcastle now open up new contract talks with Danny boy, but he’s already held out for more than a year on his new contract, and if he hasn’t signed one by January,  other clubs can come in for him, and he can agree a new deal  at that time.

And since he will cost them nothing,  he can negotiate an attractive compensation package for himself.

We’re surprised Danny is still here and that  Mathieu Debuchy did not arrive this summer.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Danny Simpson · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 Spuggy // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I’d sign Danny up in a heartbeat if the deal is right, for his defensive qualities alone. Remember he will look better next to Saylor too. That defense was like a brick wall at the start of last season.

• 2 Klatoon // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:14 AM

he can hold the fort until January. Got to admit he’s started the season solidly.

• 3 tarie4 // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Repost

hotdog

Yes pards did say that. But not every manager gets what he wants in the transfer window mate. I study in Manchester, so kinda get caught up in the red v blue war haha. Mancini wanted to pair kompany with thiago silver, yaya toure with the athletico bilboa guy, who moved to Germany. He aslo wanted hazard and vanpersie. That was his hitlist so that they attack both the champions league and epl!! (what a team they would have had )
    But it didn’t happen, and he was furious and rumour is, he threatened to quit. (hence the flury of signings yday.
    What I am saying is that no manager. No manager gets what he wants. Its the sad truth of pro managing.

Yes it would have been nice to get our targets but as carr said at the beginning of the transfer window that if we don’t get the players we want, at the price we believe is right, then we might not sign anyone this window.

Again, I would have loved some cover and stuff, but if the player we wanted was being overpriced or as pards said yesterday unavailable then why panic buy??
    we were a relegated side not to far back and we are in Europe now!! So sorry I am more inclined to trust the board and the fat one and his best buddy more than fans who think they can run a club.
    Coz we rose from the ashes of championship football to Europe in 3 years?? ( if we were an American football team, Hollywood would make a film about it) hahaha

• 4 Robby Bobson // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Jonas left back, santon right back and slyvain the marvelous left wing i reckon…..sorry danny

• 5 Robby Bobson // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Oh qand havent been on here on deadline day but if theres stress heads out there just remember everyone was moaning this time last year, but we stuck to our list of targets and got cisse in january…..just imagine if our panic bid for ruiz came off and we had him instead

• 6 gaz 44 // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM

can we still get get loans

• 7 Robby Bobson // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:23 AM

• 8 Ben3arfa // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM

loosing players no matter how crap they are doesnt make you stronger , it jus makes your squad lighter..

quality wise we are unchanged i think , but WE COUL DEASILY HAVE STRENGTHENED AND REALLY CHALLENGED THIS YEAR

looking at how our rivals have done with their teams, i think challenging them will get that much harder after this crap window

• 9 seancavaz // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Cast your mind back to aug 2011…..Cisse £13m…. Na you’re ok…..Jan 2012 Cisse £9m….ta very much like hew! All I’m saying is have a little faith…..Lille didn’t sell Debuchy, despite the Real Mardud rumours, and Douglas is still at Twente, don’t be surprised if both come in in Jan, Douglas with 6months left Twente will have to accept a bid for fear of losing him, Lille will be knocked out of the CL and looking at their group may even struggle with the second chance by dropping into the Europa so lets see what the Presidents stance is in Jan……key word: Trust

• 10 Hatem's better than Messi // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Jonas isn’t a FB.
    Jonas isn’t a winger (can’t cross, can’t shoot).

He’s a decent DM in a 433 or a bench warmer.

• 11 phillyg // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I dnt get y people slag simpson off. He is very good defensively and has looked solid at the start of thbis year. Him not being adventurous allows hba to roam free.

• 12 BigBen // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Danny’s ok, but unfortunately not world class. Debuchy certainly is. I’m really frustrated with this cheapskate attitude. We finished 5th, we’re in Europe, we have TV money, we had fantastic attendances, where’s the money gone? Why are we watching poorer (in both senses of the word) teams splashing tens of millions of pounds whilst we buy 18 year olds from Coventry??! I agree with the youth policy, but a minimum of 3 first teamers were required and yet again came up short for the sake of a few thousand Euros! Not good enough.

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Seancavaz,
    Apart from the signing of Cisse on the cheap,what have Derek Dastardly and Mashley done to deserve that trust in the last five years.

• 14 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

More than happy to have danny at the club he is defensivly sound despite what some ppl think about the lad there are far worse players around

Also have to disagree with you ED saying flat out that debuchy is a better player, has certain attributes that are better than danny mainly offensivly but definsivly he is suspect

• 15 Harley // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I have to say out of all of the players we were linked with, debuchy is the one I was certain would sign.
    It’s the only position out of our starting 11 that I feel we were looking at upgrading. The other targets I feel were all back up.
    I was 100% he’d sign and now I’m 110% we’ll get him in jan!!!
    Honestly, I know this guy who works at the club………………….

• 16 WWYCD // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Very happy Simmo is still here…probably the only one around hoping he signs a new deal

Also very unnerved to hear that NUFC players heads may have been turned I can only think of 2 of our players that could of happened to over the summer

• 17 Widowmaker // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

The conclusion is clear to me. This board is not trying to push the club foward, but to make sure it is capable of odd successes on field to maximise their profit rate.

The squad is basically the same as the season ended with problems not addressed. ie. CD, RB cover or first teamer.

I don’t trust MA and I won’t after this window. This board will never back Pardew as they have shown.

• 18 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Ppb and tarie completly agree we look in better shape this season than the start of last.

Im not gonna lie and say im not disappointed we didnt land players like debuchy and remy but we have very good players on the books and replaced are ageing players with young hungry players who will push the first 11

Also why do ppl count amalfitano as a youth player? Hes 23 and will be pushing for first team football very soon

And why to ppl keep saying how we’ll spuds did in the window? They sold arguably there 2 most influential players and the only world class player the signed was lloris and they had to sell modric to do it plus they only have 2 strikers

• 19 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Hindsight is 20/20 ofcourse, but I’m sure given their chance again Llambias etal would not be fannying about over 1 million quid. Debuchy would have been a fine addition and Simpson excellent cover and still getting plenty of games. It is cheap even if only giving consideration to the extra revenue generated by these extra fixtures and ofcourse there is more to be gained and lost than just that.

• 20 toon smart // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

All i can hope from this transfer window is that it leads to a seige mentality and pushes the players to work at 100% and especially push the kids to perform on the big stage.

• 21 yorkshire_magpie // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

People who are backin Ashley are living in dreamland. They think he’s going to spend money on the team and make us into title challengers.

To be frank i dont think that will ever happen under Ashley’s regime. We can clearly see he’s only here for the money.

• 22 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I think Ashley is still trying to balance our books. We are still in debt right?

• 23 AMEOBI // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Delighted Danny is still with us, people go way to pathetic about him, he’s a good player just not an attacking wingback that’s all.. Good player

• 24 pinkorbrown // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Other teams are spending millions cos they know that if you stand still in the prem league you go backwards. We finished 5th last season and all the teams around us have spent, cant see us finishing 5th again this season

• 25 seancavaz // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

@jail for Ashley

Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Ba, Santon, Anita……Graham Carr…..addressed the issues when they where new to the game, learned from their mistakes, moved the club forward both on and off the field……back in Europe…..just an opinion but maybes need to re-think your name and cast your mind to the good that has been brought to the club

• 26 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM

@seancavaz – 2nd that

• 27 numba9 // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM

The fat man was side tracked by buying shares in a awfull Scottish league than building on the great progress we made last year, it is a massive error to go into the season as weak at the back as we are. Where is the money left over from last years big sales? And don’t u have to put the money up for the crude advertising which covers our fantastic ground ? Lamearse mentioned that cash buys a ten mill player every year too. Ya just greedy Ashley never get sucked in by your regime you just want to use us or and rangers for your ugly arse firm. As long as u remain we will be mediocre when we can grow . We ain’t west Brom

• 28 Magpie from Lithuania // Sep 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM

we are nuch stronger, but i’m still not happy with the transfers window. Although lack of investment in new senior players is a good news for youngsters development, i would have liked to see Striker and LB/RB and CB signed.

Now it’s most likely that Jonas will play LB more often this year (and i think it’s not that bad)

We still have options:

4-1-2-1-2, only weak link is LB.

——————————–Krul——————————

——————-Saylor————–Colo——————-

Santon———————–Tiote—————-Jonas/Fergie

—————-Cabaye——————Anita————–

——————————Ben Arfa———————-

———————Cisse———————Ba———-

———————————————————————-

4-2-3-1, can switch Jonas and Anita, but one of dembas on the bench.
    ———————————–Krul——————————

———————Saylor—————-Colo——————

Santon—————-Tiote———Jonas—————Anita

————Benny————–Cabaye————–Marveaux

————————————-Cisse—————————-

————————————————————————–

4-4-2 or 4-1-2-3 if Ba is moved on the left, benny RW and Marv CAM.
    ———————————–Krul——————————

———————Saylor—————-Colo——————

Santon————————-Tiote—————–Anita/Jonas

—–Benny——————–Cabaye—————Marveaux

————————Cisse—————–Ba———————-

And we still have some depth:

Fergie, Vuckic, Perch, Simpson,Williamson, Amalfitano,Obertan, Gosling, Bigi, Abeid, Good, Tav, Sammy ( i know he is injured now), Shola (when fit), Harper and Campbell. And it’s a shame we’ve lost Raylor for several months.. We are no Chelasea and no City to pay cosmic wages for players to sit on the bench and shut their mouth. We have players and those players will play, that’s a normal thing. We can’t have 20 first teamers in the squad. Our squad is thin but can cover a lot of positions because of the versatility of the players.

GK: Krul, Harper, Elliot

RB: Santon, Simpson, Perch, Tav, Anita, Gosling (he have played there for Everton a few times)
    LB: Santon, Jonas, Anita, Fergie, Good.
    CB: Saylor, Colo, Willo, Perch, Tav, Good

CDM: Tiote, Anita, Perch, Jonas, Cabaye, Bigi, Abeid
    CAM: Cabaye, Marv, Vuckic, Benny, Gosling, Amalfitano

RM/RW: Benny, Obertan, Santon, Sammy, Jonas, Gosling, Vukcic
    LM/LW: Marv, Obertan, Fergie, Jonas, Sammy, Ba

ST/CF: Cisse, Ba,Shola, Campbell, Sammy, Vukcic,Obertan

Don’t panic

We just need some luck with our CB fitness.

• 29 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM

When Mike Ashley and Llambias sit down with the manager to reflect on the transfer window they will be doubtless be dissatisfied. I’m sure they definitely were seriously in for one or two more top players, but that failure hardly diminishes what has been achieved at Newcastle in Ashley’s 5 years. This is a genuinely reinvigorated club.

• 30 numba9 // Sep 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Only reason Ashley and lamearse will be happy is coz they got rid of twice as many players of the wage bill as they brought in and that would have covered the transfers so in effect we have spent nothing when in fact we needed two defenders and a striker !

• 31 woolerbill // Sep 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM

This season will be, Two steps forward and one step back. That the best we will get from our management.

• 32 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Bad news. We’re definitely going to concede and score less goals because of this. I see we have been linked with Aldereweild and Boudebouz (my suggested target). Why weren’t they signed before the window closed?

I think Pardew went in for Boudebouz as a replacement for Raylor.

• 33 JP...from The Rock // Sep 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Very f**king surprising indeed Ed. It’s certainly the last time I raise my expectations so much in a transfer window after this depressing outcome!

previous post: Are You Satisfied With Transfers? Is Magpies Squad Stronger?

next post: Newcastle Did Well To Hold Onto Top Players This Summer