The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United Football Club By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!



Newcastle Turned Down Big Money Offers For Their Stars

12:19 am, Wednesday, September 5th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Alan Pardew revealed yesterday that in the last few weeks of the transfer window, Newcastle had clubs come in for players like Demba Ba, Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote,  but the offers made for them were all turned down by owner Mike Ashley.

Mike Ashley – turned down offers for top stars

We’ll probably never know just how big the offers were, but it wouldn’t surprise us if £15M was the figure for either one of those three, although if clubs were interested in Demba Ba, you would have thought they would have moved in before August 1st, when the release clause of £7M in his contract ran out.

And this seems to be consistent with Alan Pardew saying last week that some of his players’ heads were turned by the offers, which may have affected the form of Demba Ba and Yohan Cabaye early in the season – maybe.

This is what Alan said yesterday:

“The fans should realise that we have not done too badly in the transfer window as we have kept our players, added some a few more and head into the campaign with a stronger squad than we had last season.”

“We have had to fend off a few offers in the last few weeks and all credit to my board for turning them away. Now we can concentrate on football, rather than speculation over players and I welcome that.”

“I’m not alone in believing the transfer window should be shut before we start the Premier League season. The current set-up only benefits the top sides, as they have the power to unsettle players and get what they want in the final few days of the window.”

“We will use all of our squad for the European matches and right so because everyone in my squad should be ready to play when called upon.”

“I make no excuses for saying the Premier League has to be our priority if we want to move this club forward in the right manner, but there can be space for Europa League football in our agenda, as well as the domestic cup competitions.”

If Alan wants the transfer window to stop before the season starts, presumably he would also argue there shouldn’t be any January transfer window, which is right in the middle of the season.

It’s good Newcastle kept all their players this summer, and the reports were that clubs would have to go as high as £25M for Newcastle’s top stars, and since Mike Ashley held out until it got to £35M for Andy Carroll, you have to think there’s some truth in that £25M figure.

Mike Ashley is easy to read – when he’s buying he thinks low, sometimes very low, and when he’s selling he thinks high, and sometimes very high.

But it remains to be seen if Newcastle have brought in enough players in the summer, to maintain a position in the top six this season.

We certainly hope so.

What do you think?

Comments always welcome, but please respect the views of other readers.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================



Tags: Cheick Tiote · Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Yohan Cabaye



<


14 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Sep 5, 2012 at 12:25 AM

    Haway people start being civil. Ed is telling You’s all off again lol :)

  • 2 cla5hb0y68 // Sep 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM

    I’ve given up trying to predict what Ashley will do.

  • 3 Toon-Barmy // Sep 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-will-try-to-seal-transfer-of-tom-1303757

  • 4 ToonDownSouth // Sep 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM

    That article has such little substance to it haha. All it actually says is that we once had a bid turned down.

    The headline claims we will bid in January. The sub-header claims we had a bid rejected in January. The body claims we had a bid rejected in the recent window!

  • 5 Highlander // Sep 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM

    ^ Yup.

    So in summary: we didn’t sell any star players but we also did not buy any star players. Lack of ambition, if ever I saw it.

  • 6 bro56 // Sep 5, 2012 at 6:12 AM

    like i believe u mr pardew…

  • 7 Whoarya.com // Sep 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM

    Pardiola is interesting when he says our squad is stronger as its Best Lovenkrands Guthrie Forster and Smith out Anita Good Bigi Armal in plus Marveaux and STaylor and our youngsters maturing? The quality in has massive potential and will not moan about being a squad player.

    Bids in would have to be “mental” to be accepted and if they are fair enough at the moment.

    The whole deal is why Ashley’s Empire is such a successful model IE massive growth in the retail sector where most are shrinking?

    I’m a fan of the Toon, Ashley, Pardiola, Carver and Carr et al

  • 8 numba9 // Sep 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM

    Oh yes we must not forget to thank big Mike lol

  • 9 Cool Hand Luke // Sep 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

    Thanx Mike

  • 10 lesh // Sep 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM

    Maybe the FSG letter to Liverpool fans has been commented on already but it’s still germain to this article about MA.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/03/liverpool-owner-henry-open-letter?CMP=twt_gu

    It appears to me that Liverpool are in the same position as we were and FSG are taking the same approach to its correcting past wrongs and sorting the club’s finances?

    What’s noticeable here though is that FSG have had the nous to explain its motivation for holding on to the purse strings as MA BUT the difference is that John Henry has had the sense to explain the situation to fans!!

    Had NA done so when he first tightened his grips on the finances, I wonder if our fans would have been a bit more understanding over recent years??

    Just a thought but I do feel that there’s a difference between watching the finances with an eye to our progress and just being short sighted and not buying the players in the positions we need and the possibility that some would see the club as having taken a step back and showing no ambition?.

  • 11 nufc 11 // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM

    I think it has just showen how important tiote is to us by the last couple of games without him he makes the team tick the and drives them on in a similar maner to Roy Ke4ane in his hayday it gets the ged up and ready to roll he need that bite in their it raises everyones game.

  • 12 Graeme // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM

    More rumours, hearsay and “What-ifs”

    Ist this supposed to stop at the end of the transfer window??

  • 13 Incentino // Sep 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

    I’m not so sure if it’s true that we always look to sell players at a high cost. For example, I’d say Liverpool underpaid for Enrique. Of course, the Reds overpaid greatly for Carroll, but if you look at each deal individually, I’d say the club could have gotten more for Enrique.

  • 14 onepeterb // Sep 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

    Wasn’t Jose at the end of his contract




previous post: More Team Bonding On Agenda During International Break

next post: Xisco In Newcastle’s 22 Man Squad For Premier League