Perch Certainly Not A Pain In The Neck To Magpies

26 year old James Perch’s star at Newcastle has been rising over the last season, and he will likely play a lot of games for Newcastle this season, with Newcastle also playing in the Europe League, and James is likely to start every game in Europe.

James Perch – excellent utility player for Magpies

James had this to say today in the local press:

“It wasn’t an ideal start to the season because we travelled for five hours to Greece, played the game, got back to London, played the Chelsea match straight after which is very unfair.”

“Whoever is in charge of things like that need to look at it again because it was not a level playing field.” “You need to look after yourselves in football, because playing midweek then at the weekend puts an enormous strain on the body and we have all got a few knocks.”

“Personally I’ve got a bad neck and hopefully it will heal quickly. It is spasms of pain really, but I’m on medication so hopefully that will do the trick and I’ll be ready for Everton.”

“I’ve always known if I worked hard at my game that I would have a future at Newcastle.”  “I’ve always been confident of myself. That’s what I have done since I joined and the manager has stuck with me.”

“I hope I have started to pay Alan Pardew back a little for his faith in me. I’ve got my own song! It’s always nice to hear that coming down from the stands, a great boost for me.”

“To be honest, I don’t really listen to the transfer news. I know I am staying and I don’t really care about anything else. As long as I am here that is what matters to me.”  “In the dressing room we are just trying to black that out, because we know what we have got to do.”

“We are a good side, with some great players in there and we have got to back up last year by doing it again.”  “That’s what all the top sides do and we want to be a top team.”  “The teams who get into the Europa League are there because they succeeded the year before, so we know what we are up against.”

“We take that as a massive achievement and we are not going to take the Europa League lightly.”

Alan Pardew has his orders that the Premier League is the most important for Newcastle this season, which means he will play his strongest side each weekend, but that doesn’t mean we cannot play a strong side in Europe too.

Players like James Perch, Mike Williamson, Shane Ferguson, Shola Ameobi and Gael Bigirimana are some players who will likely start most games in Europe, and if the youngsters can come through this season, there’s no reason we cannot do well in the Europa League.

James is the type of player who can become very useful to Newcastle this season, as we know he can play in defensive midfield and anywhere along the back four, and he’s shown he’s more than competent in any one of those positions.

James’ contract runs out a year next June, so we are hoping he will get a contract extension at Newcastle, and sooner rather than later.

James may have a pain in the neck at the moment, but he’s anything but that on Tyneside, and he’s become a valuable player for Newcastle over the last twelve months or so – after failing to make the squad for last summer’s American tour.

For the record,  James has made 47 appearances for the Magpies since signing two years ago from Nottingham Forest for around £1M, and he’s likely to add significantly to that number this season.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Markaccus

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Slow doon ed!!
    Perchinho has proved himself more than once. Starting right back for me next week if he’s fit.
    Playing catchup here. 1) I reckon we can get top 6 if our players perform how we know they can. 2) xisco, euro games? Do you think he can turn things arround? 3) people saying drogba, anelka on free… I think its too late. Stoke have had to ask permission to add owen to their squad of 25 beacuse they signed him after the deadline of submitting it. I don’t think the fa would allow us to push it that far. Also their wages would be ‘arrrrrrgggghhhh!’

• toonLYF

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM

PERCH!

• Cool Hand Luke

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Perch is the epitome of a solid player. Anyone know what the perch song is?

• Super Magpie

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Repost:

Transfer Sage

I don’t see Liverpool and fulham finishing in the top 8.
    I can honestly see the bindippers finishing in the bottom half. ( I said this before the season started, not because they have 1pt from 3 games)

Fulham look much weaker than last season. They’ve lost Zamora, Dempsey, Pogbrenyak and Dembele, and brought in Petric ( decent player), Berbatov ( past his best), and Rodallega ( vastly overrated).

Everton look good but their squad is also quite thin, but they don’t have Europe to contend with so they could be up there.

Arsenal look the best out of all the teams, I think they’ll finish 4th.
    Everyone says they’ll struggle to score goals without RVP. The will always score goals. They create so many chances and play the best football in the league. Plus they’re not conceding either, surprisingly.

Spurs is a funny one. They have good players but I think it could he the Case with Chelsea last season with AVB. They’ve bought well. But he tried to sell a lot of the squad and failed. So it could be a case of do the players actually want to play for him.

Obviously those are just my views but nobody knows what will happen. We’ll just have hope we can do as well as last season.

• toonLYF

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Cool Hand Luke –

We’ve got Perchinho, We’ve got Perchinho…WE’VE GOT PERCHINHO etc… he absolutely loves it!

• Graeme

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

An under-rated player proving that he can do a great job, wherever he is asked to play. What’s not to like??

• RonVanDam

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Heard Sammy was back in training today

• HullMag6

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Repost.

I see optimism valley is struggling with the avalanche from moaning mount.

I anticipate top 6 if we achieve our potential and maybe a cup run if our luck is with us. Hopefully reinforce with a couple on jan and more next summer, dont forget we were ahead of schedule last season.

Over achievement gents something we never expected after relegation.

• martoon

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM

For those saying we should go after Anelka/Drogba. Would they not be classed as ‘Marquee signings’ that were specifically mentioned in the 5 year plan that we WOULD NOT be signing again.

• JDdubai

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

The lack of spending is less of a worry than pardew wasting our talented players with poor formations and persisting with players who are not in form.

• check the toastie

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Good old Perchu, lad has come on leaps and bounds, should play RB.

• cyprus

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Sorry Ed, please clarify:
    “Alan Pardew has his orders that the Premier League is the most important for Newcastle this season..”
    What does the above mean?
    To win the PL? Surely not.
    To finish in the top 4? AP has already told us to not even hope for last year’s success.
    To avoid the drop? Surely not!
    So, I’ll agree with Perch, DO NOT take the Europa Cup lightly. We are not Man. U. who can afford to do that. It’s not CL but it’s a great success and it gives us visibility (i.e. good for attracting players). So, if like AP says we won’t finish very high this year (he and many on here will be thrilled with say 8th), then THIS is our European chance, so don’t treat it like it’s the milk cup or something.

• BigKirky

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

A prime exanple of confidence and belief working wonders in football.

Obertan is the next on the list. Early signs seem good with him this season. He even knocked it round the full back and attacked him On the outside on Sunday. Hope he can reproduce his Bordeaux form once again.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Cyrpus…..It means PL is our priority tournament. If we go all out for EL, will we win? What would happen to our PL status? It would likely take a serious battering.

I would guess we get more money by finishing higher in the PL than progressing through the EL. We will also be keeping out profile by qualifying for EL again.

It is dangerous to put your eggs in to the Cuo basket and you know it. That is why the PL is our priority.

Are you really that clueless or are you trying to make a point?

Also, Pardew has said it will be difficult to match last seasons success, not that we can’t or wont. I would imagine the “target” this season is to re-qualify for the EL.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Hull……Struggling Optimism? Not a chance 🙂

• pardews waxwork lips

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Can’t help but think sky have concluded our transfer business good purely because of last year. Just incase our signings are gems and come good so they aren’t left with egg on the face?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM

pwl….Or maybe they think that whilst not spectacular, it hasn’t been bad…i.e. Good.

Success or failure doesn’t leave any middle ground, which is realistically where our window probably sits – somewhere in the middle.

• cyprus

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Ibiza,
    To requalify (hopefully) for EL to treat it lightly once more?
    “Are you really that clueless or are you trying to make a point?” Not sure what you mean by that but the answer is the latter 🙂 Clueless regarding what? How much we’ll make if we finish, say 8th vs,. if we win the EL? Do you know the exact figures and, do you really care?

• cyprus

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Of course, in case I didn’t make it clear, is that both tournaments should be equally important. The other domestic cups should be considered less important, yes.

• geordie157

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Perch has probably become one of my favourite players, never thought I’d be saying that!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Cyprus….The way I see it is we have three choices.

1) Stay below European places and tick along without any real need for growth.
    2) Invest heavily and push for CL and try and secure CL football for our future.
    3) Invest and build slowly. This only works if we are actually in European competition and are showing signs of gradual improvement, as few players will want to stick around.

I appreciate the fact that these points are grossly simplified. Point 3 is what I think we’re trying to do.

Some will say, will our lads be happy to have qualified by finishing 5th and then letting the kids mess it up. Some merit in that. However, will our star players be happy playing in Europe and hoping to win (which honestly, we only have an outside chance of even with our starting 11 each game) and possibly see our PL positioning decline to outside the qualification spots?

Basically, do promising players want one good cup run one year, but nothing the next or constant qualification and slow progress?

I would imagine, based on the past 2 years of re-building and the fact that our youngsters should flourish by being given opportunities, by next year, we would be in a better position to attack extra competitions without having such a negative impact on PL positioning. Also not a certain, I know.

As for are you clueless or trying to make a point. You were asking Ed to clarify his statement regarding PL being priority. Do you really not know what this means (i.e. clueless) or were you trying to make a point. This has been answered I believe (the latter, not saying you’ve been proved clueless).

• Johann

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM

“blAck that out” ? 😀

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Cyprus…I too didn’t make myself clear. Just because PL should be our main priority, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try or take care in EL. It is prestigious and important for the team, but for me, it is secondary to the league…and it would seem the club feel the same.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Super

Fair point but I think arsenal will struggle for goals.

They have a reputation for creating and over playing and not just getting the ball in the net.
    With no van persie producing magical volleys every other week I think they might have problems.

Spurs I agree on, avb ruins team spirit and makes players who aren’t his first choice unwelcome. He did at Chelsea and he has done the same with the likes of Dawson.

Fulham will miss Dembele a lot.

Everton are good but same as us, 1/2 key injuries away from having to struggle.

Liverfool are terrible so far, decent play but no end product.

• quitesimple

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

ive got perchinho on the back of my top 🙂

anyways dont mean to sound pessimistic but realistically i think we’ll finish 7th, anywhere above id be delighted with 🙂

• beefman13

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

James perch was a bit of a joke figure when he first started playing for us, he took loads of stick, even myself had a pop saying he wasnt up to it.
    got to say though the lad has proved the doubters wrong including myself, he is a utility player who can play anywhere along the back four, he seems to have a cool level head as well
    so well done him and he is a very good member of our squad.

• faustino

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Cyprus – it’s all about money. 3-4 places slipped in the Premier League is worth as much as a very successful run in the Europa League. Coming 5th versus 12th is worth about as much as winning the thing.

• check the toastie

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Anywere above 6th would be good, and if Pardewplays the right players and systems then for me 4th is achievable,

Question- If Arsene Wemger was in charge of our squad would we finish top 4, for me yes we most certainly would?

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Ibiza…I was just checking on your Knights and at least you’re not as pathetic as Pipedream ;)…just close lol

I rid myself from Allen, so I am comin’ to get ya 😉

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Faustino…Thank you, I forgot to comment on the values part of the post.

Check….I really rate Arsene as a manager, how can you not? Are his tactics better than Pardews? You would have to say yes, so 4th would probably be more likely with him, but in no way a certainty.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Jesper…Oh so close 😉 Damn it, no Allen keeping you back, now I could be in trouble.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Ibiza…you know those who are kicking our asses don’t even have a single NUFC player in their front three – shouldn’t there be a rule against that 🙂 lol

…and so help me God they have McClean from 5under1and in their team…I call for a ban 😉

• Markaccus

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM

@pardews waxwork lips. That name is good. Its got me thinking. Does Pardews mouth remind anyone else of a thunderbird puppet?!

• bills-son

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Perch is even better imo than we realise. His short passing is exceptional and he is cool and unhurried under pressure. I would play him in a back three on the left in my favoured 3511 formation:

STaylor Colo Perch
    Anita Tiote Cabaye Guti Santon
    HBA
    Ba or Cisse

This gives two excellent wing backs who can attack and defend, two hard working CM’s in Tiote and Guti and releases Cabaye to wreak havoc in the oppo’s half with HBA, Ba or Cisse and the two wing backs Anita and Santon.

I’d love to see Pards give this system a try. I think our squad is made for it.

• check the toastie

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Nice team Bills, however no chance of it happening.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Jesper….Football management is not about being sentimental. We’re being made fools of.

Right, Cabaye getting dropped for McClean – On second thoughts, forget it. I’m happy.

Bills-Son….Be really interested to see that at some point. Not sure where and when we would test it though.

• Markaccus

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM

@bills-son. So in essence, keegans 3 5 2. Those were the days, eh? Can’t see it happening now. Comparing the teams is fun. Santon in berrisfords spot for example. Anita for gillespie. Hba for beardo, guti is probably where ginola would be (keegan only had one dmf lol)

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Ibiza…I have put my faith in Ba now…just to make it more interesting 😉 see this is exactly why I don’t win these competitions lol

Bills…I know you like your 5-3-2 counter style formation, but until NUFC starts playing in a South American league that is just not gonna happen mate 😉

…I know I know it’s not a 5-3-2, but it will end up looking like it is 😉 No seriously if you really seriously here you should take a look at Uruguay back in the days, they played a style of formation very similar to the one you just posted with huge success (Success in South American that is 😉

• Incentino

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I can’t tell you how impressed I was by Gael Bigirimana’s performance against Villa. Looks like a star in the making – and exactly the kind of player that the club should look to buy. He actually reminded be a lot of a a young Jermaine Jenas.

Tom Ince also is also in that category – young, up and coming talent with lots of talent. I certainly hope NUFC will target him in January.

As for the topic at hand, there is no doubt that Perch is a great utility player. Good clubs need quality back ups because there are so many matches during a season.

He’s not a world beater, but let’s put it this way – Newcastle wouldn’t have landed at fifth place last season without him. He put in a couple of quality performances.