The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Will Newcastle Finish In The Top Six This Season?

10:01 am, Wednesday, September 5th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

One of the polls we failed to put out earlier is to ask our readers whether we will finish in the top six, so we’ll remedy that today.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew

Will Newcastle Finish In The Top Six This Season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 lesh // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Given the lack of investment in key positions, there’s not a cat in hell’s chance!

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I guess I should have voted not sure, but I remain optimistic as we certainly can finish top 6. Will we? Honest answer is no one knows, we’ll be in and around it though.

• 3 Toonboy_84 // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I’m very positive but think we over achieved last season. 6th at best I think.

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Lesh…So you’re saying we definitely wont?

• 5 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I think it’s fair to say the Manchesters and Chelsea will get spots 1-3. The next pool of teams you would think would be fighting for 4th – 8th as I see it are (in no particular order) :

Newcastle
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Everton
    Liverpool.

I think it will be really close come May, but personally I would be shocked if we finish outside the top 8 or even finish far off 6th (with regards to point difference).

• 6 markmac // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I Think given the added games we may suffer slightly but ill hope for a top 8 finish at worst…

• 7 RonVanDam // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Lets not give up. We could bring in improvements in the Jan window, at the same time not losing our star players

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM

A point on our lack of investment that has been dominating the blog lately.

It would seem many feel that due to our high finish last season (5th), this was the time to bring in 2-3 key players and push for 4th spot and CL football.

What people also seem to forget is that we had no cup runs last year, so only had the PL to think about. Do we really think 2-3 players would have helped us compete well on 4 fronts this season? We still wouldn’t be able to imo, although no question, extra quality will always help. I point this out, as people seem to think that by paying that extra little bit (not saying loads), would push us on, when it’s nowhere near an exact science.

Come Janaury we will assess what we have left to push on for and I would imagine reinforce as needed. Then come next summer, will go at it again where hopefully we’ll be able to pull off more deals than not, which is the what I think happened this summer. Not that we weren’t trying to get players in, we just couldn’t under our structure. It’s the structure people have a problem with it would seem.

• 9 Super Magpie // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM

It depends how far we get in Europe. If we go out in the last 32 then we might go on an end of season run like last season.

• 10 Transfer Sage // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM

This same side got 5th last year.

Only Chelsea have improved.

Arsenal, spurs and Liverpool are weaker than last year. Whether it be players leaving or new mamanement.

I think we could anywhere from 4th to 8th.

See spurs, Liverpool, arsenal, everton and fulham as challenges and in confident we can finish ahead of at least one of them.

• 11 Super Magpie // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Ibiza

Supposedly not paying an extra £800k for Debuchy is what really annoyed me. We’re weren’t going to go bankrupt if we had of payed it.
    Plus it was probably within our transfer budget anyway.

Our net spend was £3m. Teams who compete in the top 6 spend more than that.

With the exceptions of Arsenal and Spurs who made more than money than spent. Which was only because of the Modric,VDV, Song and RVP deals. And they reinvested the money. I hope we add some more quality in January but we said we’d get our targets last summer.

So Atm all we can do is hope these group of players can get us competing Domestically and in Europe for the next 9 months ( which they can), but it’ll take ALOT of luck and effort.

• 12 Markaccus // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Playing catchup here. 1) I reckon we can get top 6 if our players perform how we know they can. 2) xisco, euro games? Do you think he can turn things arround? 3) people saying drogba, anelka on free… I think its too late. Stoke have had to ask permission to add owen to their squad of 25 beacuse they signed him after the deadline of submitting it. I don’t think the fa would allow us to push it that far. Also their wages would be ‘arrrrrrgggghhhh!’

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Super Magpie…..As you say supposed £800k. Really not sure with Debuchy, I imagine there is more to it than we know, which could be the fault of our chairman or Lilles. So it’s guesswork and not something I will use to change my stance on the club or it’s board.

It was shall we say disappointing.

• 14 Cool Hand Luke // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Top 6 for sure if we sort the formation out. If not then top 10.

• 15 Super Magpie // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Transfer Sage

I don’t see Liverpool and fulham finishing in the top 8.
    I can honestly see the bindippers finishing in the bottom half. ( I said this before the season started, not because they have 1pt from 3 games)

Fulham look much weaker than last season. They’ve lost Zamora, Dempsey, Pogbrenyak and Dembele, and brought in Petric ( decent player), Berbatov ( past his best), and Rodallega ( vastly overrated).

Everton look good but their squad is also quite thin, but they don’t have Europe to contend with so they could be up there.

Arsenal look the best out of all the teams, I think they’ll finish 4th.
    Everyone says they’ll struggle to score goals without RVP. The will always score goals. They create so many chances and play the best football in the league. Plus they’re not conceding either, surprisingly.

Spurs is a funny one. They have good players but I think it could he the Case with Chelsea last season with AVB. They’ve bought well. But he tried to sell a lot of the squad and failed. So it could be a case of do the players actually want to play for him.

Obviously those are just my views but nobody knows what will happen. We’ll just have hope we can do as well as last season.

• 16 HullMag6 // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I see optimism valley is struggling with the avalanche from moaning mount.

I anticipate top 6 if we achieve our potential and maybe a cup run if our luck is with us. Hopefully reinforce with a couple on jan and more next summer, dont forget we were ahead of schedule last season. Over achievement gents something we never expected after relegation.

• 17 obatoyou // Sep 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

dude tottenham are quite good
    arsenal are also quite good
    dunno bout liverpool

• 18 HBA better than CR7 // Sep 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM

• 19 HBA better than CR7 // Sep 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

We cn get to top 4!!AVB is ruining Tottenham Hotspur nd Arsenal dnt hve good strike force..Liverpool will struggle again ..Howay the Lads !!

• 20 karasu // Sep 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Realistically, we’ll need a miracle to stay in top 5, just like the miracle we had last season. Anywhere in top 8 is still achievable and respectable.

• 21 BigKirky // Sep 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

If a lot of the squad stay fit and have genrally good form, I think we can get 4th or 5th. In reality that may not happen, so 6th may be a struggle. I’m anticipating 4th – 8th depending upon the obvious variables of form, injuries, decision etc.

• 22 Sav // Sep 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Top 6? We are already in Europe and clearly we don’t have any great ambition to win it, so you may as well say ‘top 4′ because that is the only possible game-changer for Newcastle, as Pardew has admitted.
    Given the starts of some of our main rivals for 4th place, we could be in with a shot had we had a little more investment in a France international full-back.
    Insted we’ve got Xisco!

• 23 cockneymagpie90 // Sep 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

the only way we will get top 6 is if pardew sorts his tactics out!!!!!!!!!!!

• 24 cockneymagpie90 // Sep 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM

no more 442 with both the Dembas, it just doesnt work!!!!

————-KRUL————-
    SANTA-COLLO-TAYLOR-ANITA
    ——-GUTI——-TIOTE——-
    BENNY—-CABAYE—–MARVO
    ———–CISSE/BA———–

Thats a top 6 side.

• 25 Visten // Sep 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM

4-4-2 be lucky to finish in top 10. 4-3-3 maybe a chance to finish in top 6.

• 26 bills-son // Sep 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM

On Debuchy – we don’t know the facts but what appears to be the case is that we had an offer accepted and then Lille either asked for more or decided not to sell. Exactly the same happened with Maiga last year. In both cases Ashley walked away. You either cave in in these situations or you stick two fingers up – Llambias and Ashley don’t have a habit of caving in.

Which brings me to the next point. Why have we got such a great record recently in the transfer market? Because we carefully research players, identify who we want and a price and wage we will pay for them. If the club and player accepts we sign them, if not we either forget them or we wait until the next window and try again. Cisse is a classic example.

Our transfer policy might be frustrating but it has worked fantastically well now for two years. To say it is unambitious though is completely wrong. Even another million or two saved each season is another million or two that we can use to reward our top players with improved contracts. Ashley has already done that with Tiote, Krul, Colo and Guti. Next up probably HBA and Cabaye.

It was a 10 out of 10 transfer window for keeping our best players and probably a 6 out of 10 for signing new ones. It looks as if Bigi can already be classed as a first team squad member and with Anita looking good at full back we’ve got the cover there we needed.

Not a great window but no disaster. I still think Pards and his tactics and team formation will play a big part in where we finish this season. We’ve got a strong squad if we play 3511 and a not so strong squad if we play 442 or 433.

• 27 matt11_25 // Sep 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Lesh it’s the same damn team that finished fifth last year!! U can’t think Best was that crucial.

We will finish in the top six because we have HBA.

• 28 89Norcal // Sep 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Spurs should be strong enough to claim 4th, but I have a feeling Arsenal will somehow pull from the wreckage again and battle with them for it.

People seem to think Liverpool is stable enough to challenge for Europe again but I’m not sure. And with AC’s rebirth not going as planned, he could cause more problems when he returns. We are more or less on level terms with Pool, if only under a bigger burden with a thinned out squad.

But there’s always January!

previous post: Sky Sports – Excellent Transfer Window For Newcastle