Has Fab Coloccini Sustained A Serious Hamstring Injury?

This season has not started off too well for Newcastle, and news today that our captain Fabricio Coloccini has actually sustained another hamstring injury, while on International duty in Argentina.

Coloccini at the Argentine training camp

It may be more serious than first thought when we reported the news last night, and at the time we said that Colo would miss the Argentine game on Friday night against Paraguay with a muscle strain, but it was hoped he would be fit enough for the game on Tuesday night against Peru, in the World Cup qualifying games.

Newcastle contacted the Argentine FA today and they have been told about  the injury, and not surprisingly they would like to have our medical staff assess the injury.

We said last night the right thing to do would be to have Fab return home so he could be checked out by the Newcastle medics, but it seems he will still be staying with the Argentine squad, as we previously reported last night.

Don’t forget that when Fabricio returned from the International friendly just three days before the Premier League season started last month, he missed that first game with a hamstring injury and didn’t play for Argentina either.

The Argentine FA have released the following statement on their web-site about the Newcastle’s captain today:

“Fabricio Coloccini has a hamstring injury in the femoral biceps of his right leg. He will travel with the squad to continue treatment with the team doctor.”

Some other web-sites are reporting the injury is fairly serious and he could be out for six weeks, but if that’s the case why would he be staying on with the Argentine squad, and not returning immediately to Newcastle for treatment?

If he’ staying with the Argentine squad there must be a reasonable chance he can play on Tuesday night – or we would assume that.

We have to hope it’s not bad news on Coloccini, but we suppose Mike Williamson can come in and get the job done, or maybe James Perch would be preferred alongside Steven Taylor.

And certainly James got the job done against Tottenham in that first game – as he usually does when he comes into the first team these days – whatever the position is.

We’ll just have to wait to see if Newcastle release anything additional about the injury tomorrow, since they will have presumably been told the extent of it.

Here’s hoping it’s not serious.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+
You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com
=============================================

• Blaydon-Toon

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Fingers crossed for Collo and the toon big miss from our starting 11 …. Speedy recovery please !

• Kyo

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM

but I thought we didn’t need to buy anyone????

• euanpolo

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Six weeks… that would be a disaster. Perch and Williamson are decent but Coloccini is another level up from the rest of our defends (although Santon has the potential to be as good) so he’ll be a massive miss.

• Kyo

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Santon should be a winger.

• veto

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM

probably the one player i we cant afford tobe out for to long , guys a rock for us , one of the best defenders we have ever had on the books .

• Ian Toon

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Kyo- he started out at Inter as a winger. In a 4-2-3-1 formation bombing forward he’ll be a revelation. Hops we adopt this @ Everton. With Tiote back no reason why we can’t pick up 3 points.

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Season could already be over for us. We barely have any experienced defenders left. It’s just hoping the kids can make the step up.

Our stubbornness in the transfer window is killing us now. Huge gamble Ashley took.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM

thank god Debauchery and Douglas where brought in…..wait a minute…. :-/

Shocking…. no words to describe it

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Kyo – totally disagree, think Santon is proving to be a fine full back.

• spitfire_

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I’m not gonna broke my fingers crossed because some fooker didn’t make his job right. We deserved where we are. It was more than obvious that only with Colo and Saylor can’t be the whole season. Now good look to all… What a great summer we had eh? We didn’t lose any key players… now Cisse, Ba, Cabaye, Tiote or HBA to play at CB.

• spitfire_

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I’m not gonna broke my fingers crossed because some pr!ck didn’t make his job right. We deserved where we are. It was more than obvious that only with Colo and Saylor can’t be the whole season. Now good look to all… What a great summer we had eh? We didn’t lose any key players… now Cisse, Ba, Cabaye, Tiote or HBA to play at CB.

• spitfire_

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:43 AM

ooops…. look = luck … damn my english.

• RonVanDam

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Krul
    Anita Saylor Perch Jonas

Benarfa Cabs Tiote Santon

Ba Cambell

Since our defence is weak, 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 will suit us and use Cisse as a impact sub until he’s hungry to score goals.

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM

What on earth has made you think Jonas is a better defender than Santon?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Ah Kyo…always there to brighten the mood. Well as long as you’re keeping your posts for 12 at night then I suppose you aren’t bothering anyone.

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Injuries are part and parcel of the game but I feel as though we really suffer when our key players are missing, for example Tiote against Villa. Or is it just that I’m obviously just another sadly obsessed Toon fan taking these things far too much to heart. The thought of losing Collo to injury actually depresses me.

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:22 AM

Sky sports also having confirmation of Colo injury. Raylor, Simpson now Colo.

We are screwed.

• Szarka

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Ryan, Simpson and Colo…

And we only started the season… Fatigue and other problems will come up. At least in January a central defender is a must!!!

• Ozzie

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Well we all predicted a time that this would happen, a case of a ridiculous gamble by Ashley that has back fired. Never understood this as its a gamble on finishing positions and Europe that in the end could cost us financially and the ability to attract players as well as upsetting current players

• stephen1971

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:34 AM

have faith in perch, he,s never let us down and gets better as time goes on, to say we are doomed is just ridiculous, shows how much faith some of you,s have in the squad

• Ian Toon

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Too much negativity morning noon and even at night.
    @ Everton. 4-2-3-1
    If word on injuries are to be believed.
    Krul
    Anita Saylor Perch Santon
    Tiote Jonas
    HBA Cabaye Marv
    Ba/ Cisse
    Subs: Harper, Tav, Williamson, Bigi, Amal, Campbell , Shola.
    And a stronger defence than against Spurs .
    Looks a very strong squad so why not take a positive view of what is achievable . Shame that Fergi is out of N. Ireland squad with a groin injury just when he seemed to be back to near full fitness.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM

God morning lads 🙂

I can see the discussion as always was heavy last night 😉

I can relate to somes concern about injuries; it is not like it haven’t been said before, by the board chose once again this year to start of the season way too thin at the back. This is what happens in football when your not prepared of apparantly hoping for a miracle 😉

It would be the same if we loose Ba and Cisse (and lets face it that could happen); I don’t know why play these silly games cause we simply cannot afford it!

I’ll wait and see that the doctor says about Colo – I still hope he’ll be alright for next week 🙂

So what do we know:

– Simmo is out 4 weeks
    – Raylor is out 6 months
    – Fergy ?
    – Perch should be alright I have heard

Ibiza told be not to say I told you so, but honestly it happened last season so why wouldn’t they prepare this time around? I am sorry Ibiza, but I told you so 😉 lol

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Morning Ian my good friend 😉

How are you feeling this friday morning? I seem to agree with you, but I think it is worse late in the evening; haven’t been on at that time lately – don’t really bother 🙂

I am more of a 4-3-3 kind of guy when it comes to NUFC ( do favour a 4-3-2-1 in generl, but not with us…) Cabaye don’t work for me as an ACM, plus he closes down the area for Benny to be about. I like Cabaye futher back 🙂

Otherwise I would say I agree about your lineup (might wanna see Ba on the leftside attack) but it depends on the form of Cisse; at the moment I would drop him instead of Ba 🙂

• Ian Toon

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Jesper – You can call me Ian . GOOD morning. Pardew is telling the
    squad to” Get on with it”- he’s a big Monty Python fan. To answer ?our question ” Get on with it”. We’re not consigned to the knackers yard and there will be those in the squad who’ll see this as an opportunity to impress .

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Didn’t I call you Ian? 😉

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Ian…I agree we are not consigned to the knackers yard t all 😉 but I would expect all of our players to try to impress no matter what.

Like I said yesterday, NUFC have made their bed and they’ll have to lie in it 😉 that’s how the saying goes. I don’t feel sorry for the club, just us fans sometimes 😉 lol

• Ian Toon

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Jesper – How are you doing sport?. Aside from Ibiza your the genuinely ( a word rarely used on here)nicest bloke on here. I bet you don’t have an unkind bone in your body, buddy or something like that!.
    On posting at different times- would suspect one drunk but a few really worthwhile guys who came up with a few good points I wasn’t considering . Like Fergi who you can easily overlook but he was a revelation two years ago. With injuries your always compensating but I had forgotten how good he was when first seen. Trying to get ready to leave hence the delay. To answer another of your questions I am looking forward to catching up with watching some footy. Rather
    than a boring England I ‘m heading for a boring Berwick to watch our development side .
    reserve x1

• Ian Toon

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Jesper- you called me God- Lol
    I have to go . Hope you have a great day in the company of some smiley people. Even Ibiza’s ( I don’t have one on my pad) so LOL.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Ian….that sounds like a well spend day 😉 are they playing tonite or later this weekend?

..and thanks for the complement mate 😉 you’re in the same category (there is a few there, but I wouldn’t say it is crowded 😉 lol

• NUFCWill1986

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:29 AM

If this is true Ashley is to blame. The offers were too low. Like mike would sell his business for market value when its doing well, think about that!

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

It’s a slow morning I must say 🙂 okay until Ed posts some news I’ll start the day up with the topic Muse.

Muse anyone? 😉

a) What’s your favorite Muse album currently?

b) Favorite Muse song at the moment?

c) Most underrated Muse song?

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I’ll start of then (and I’ll keep talking to myself I guess) Okay here we go:

a) I am in a Origin of Symmetri mood these days

b) Plug in baby (mostly because of the answer above)

c) Sunburn, Time is Running Out or Newborn 😉

• numba9

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Disgusting we identified the need for defensive cover and did nothing about it . It will mean us finishing quite a few places lower than last year. And if our fat friend keeps his stance on transfers we will not capitalise on a a good season followed by another because our better players will leave for clubs with far more ambition than ours. We can achieve but that takes backing and problem solving !

• nobbysolano

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Good morning lads

Often read this for my daily updates on all things toon but never posted.

The negativity on here is unreal. I have been a toon fan for over twenty years and most of you unfortunately know that this entails ups and downs. We are barely three games in most are writing us off! FMA took a gamble. Big surprise -he is a gambler! There will be many twists and turns over the season. Just strap in and enjoy the ride!

I am grateful that we are in the main, being run properly (something that hasnt happened under previous regimes). We have a better squad now than in previous seasons (agree we needed to strengthen defence but will have to now wait till Jan) and we in EUROPE!!!!!

Let’s get behind them and support the team we love eh?

• bro56

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:22 AM

@jesperfuglsang

it wont be as good as Elbow’s Newborn 🙂

• bro56

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM

One size Fitz Hall was released by QPR, wonder if he’s still available

• Ben3arfa

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

how can this be bad news?

Pardew said “we are stronger than what we were last season”

we are fine guys lol

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Bro56…now Elbow there is another band we could discuss 😉

…sorry meant to say New born (the Muse song that is 😉

It seems the Muse discussion didn’t take off. So Elbow anyone?

Same questions. I’ll start:

a) The Seldom Seen Kid

b) Grace under Pressure

c) Grace under Pressure (at least here in DK it is 😉

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I am goin’ to end up like Ibiza with a split persona and start talking to myself 😉

…wait that has already happened! lol

• jesperfuglsang