Injuries A Big Problem For Newcastle’s Small Squad

The news that Fabricio Coliccini has suffered a muscle strain in his right leg at the Argentine Training camp, and will now miss the game against Paraguay on Friday night was not good news for Newcastle manager Alan Pardew today.

Fab Coloccini – injured again in Argentina

Newcastle did not manage to increase the size of their squad too much over the summer, after we lost Fraser Forster, Alan Smith, Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands and Danny Guthrie and brought in only Vurnon Anita, Romain Amalfitano, Gael Bigirimana and Curtis Good, and the last two are only teenagers.

Jonas Gutierrez thinks it’s going to be a lot tougher for Newcastle this season than last season, and he had this to say today to the local press:

“We have to try to be ready as a team, and to play as a team. We have to be strong as a group and not think as individuals.”  “We have a few problems with injuries as well, which is a big problem because we don’t have a big squad.”

“I hope the injured players players come back and recover quickly, but we know that we have Ryan, we have Danny, Shola Ameobi is coming on, Cheick and now Colo too.”  “It’s difficult – I think it is going to be a hard season. We need to be ready for all the games.”

“It is different for us because we are in Europe for the first time.”  “It’s going to be hard this season. I think the team will have to keep going and keep improving, because the next month is going to be very important.”

“From the start, we did not get the result that we wanted against Aston Villa. We expect to win at home – we expect to be strong.”  “Against Aston Villa we lost two points and we must improve as quickly as possible – because if we don’t, then it’s going to be very difficult this season.”

It’s good that Coloccini was recalled by Argentina, but he had to travel all the way to South America for the World Cup qualifying games, and when he was recalled in August for a friendly, he also came back injured and missed Newcatsle’s first game against Tottenham Hotspur.

These Internationals are a double edged sword, and with Newcastle’s squad still far too thin, Alan Pardew’s hair will soon turn white with the worry.

But hang on – it’s already white – come to think of it. 😀

Surely Newcastle  should have increased the size of the squad in the summer, so we didn’t still have these problems.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

• NUFCWill1986

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Not good! Anyone want start a FIFA 13 pro club when it’s released? Ps3

• numba9

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM

We r knackered let established players leave and brought in potential . When u have more comps u need these guys in ye should have brought in what we needed now injuries are already taking toll

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Oh dear. The blog was nice for a while and now it’s descended back into namecalling and insults. Oh the horror.

On football news, damn Monday night football. Giving us awkward fixtures.

Also, Have the Europa leage home fixtures tickets gone on sale yet?

• Transfer Sage

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Nothing to worry about.

The window is shut so can’t buy anyone now. Just give somebody else a go an see how they do.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Conaldo
    Sorry mate just got fed up with the bloke having a pop everytime i post something especially when he’s based a majority of his opinion on something that actually had nout to do with me
    Wont happen again wizard promise!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Can anyone recommend a good blog for Sunderland fans? I’m off to join a team with ambition and that plans ahead. Not like these jokers!

I hope you don’t all have to endure another relegation, but you mini accountant muppets have allowed this to continue. I hope you now see the error in your ways.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Whys our squad soo f***ing injury prone???

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Ibiza
    I here in-breads anonymous.com is good place to find them other than that just cruise around some job centers

• Markaccus

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Little bit of trolling, there ibiza? 😉 . I arrive late one morning and the whole blog is in civil war (huhr, good god, y’all). I mean, what is it good for?

• jimmymagpie

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM

jimmymagpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM

TDS – been back for a few days mate.Kept a low profile the last 2 weeks of the window, after I was abused as usual for telling everyone that Pardew had been told to make do with what he had after the Anita signing, which was proved correct, AGAIN! I don’t tell lies, and I only pass on what I am told from very decent people. I’m not too bad, but I must admit I struggled to get to the Villa match after my treatment last week, and in hindsight, probably shouldn’t have gone. Still, it was worth it just to see Ben Arfa’s goal!

previous post: Newcastle Linked With Algerian Winger

• jimmymagpie

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Munster – thanks for the warning. Ibiza – come on mate, you’re a sensible bloke, you didn’t seriously believe that Ashley was paying for the advertising at the ground, or for the re-naming?I was at the ground yesterday, and went in to the club store, having heard that hardly anybody goes in apart from match days. True enough, it was practically empty, and easy to see why – apart from the puma gear, it’s full of cheap Sports Direct tat, at inflated club shop prices of course.

15jimmymagpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

tads….Job center? I’m not going near anywhere with the word Job involved 🙂

Mark….No civil war here. I just realise the error of my ways and can accept what an idiot I have been. The clubs in a bad way mate, when will you realise this? 😉

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Jimmy….I have always said that I have no idea, but doubted payments were being made to the club. I also suggested perhaps in the boards mind this was seen as interest payments on the loans, but if this was the case they should man up and say so. That I could accept to be honest, although It wouldn’t thrill me.

My point earlier on the thread, is that I find it interesting that I have been branded a bully in the past and accused of name calling and such, yet people seem to have no problem doing it themselves when they feel they have been proved right. Seems like double standards from where I’m sitting. That’s all.

I would also like to point out, that the advertising and transfers are just two aspects in which I have opinions on about the club / board and don’t take away from the other good things I believe they are doing.

But I’m glad you’re all pleased you feel you have been proven right. Must be one mighty good day for you all.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Jimmy
    Good glad to hear you can still make the games would loved to of seen bennys goal live, luckily i saw his one vs everton to some small compensation!

Ibiza
    Howay lad how can anyone call you a bully!!

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Ibiza – again I draw you back to “they can’t read…”
    They can’t read or write so don’t have a blog. However, communities can be found round the back of Sunderland chippies grunting and slapping each other with cheesy chips running down there faces.

Guess you will have to fly up here to get some of that cheesy ambition.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Ibiza
    I believe job center in makem slang for social club!

• jimmymagpie

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Changing the subject – has anyone noticed the irony that Man Utd are now worried about the spending, now that Man City can spend more than them? Didn’t worry them before!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM

tads…I bully with optimism! Well, I did. Now I have seen the light! Hallelujah and may Saint Shearer have mercy on my soul.

This little light of mine,
    I’m gonna let it shine,
    Oh, this little light of mine,
    I’m gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shiiiiine

• one Tony Green

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM

@Ibiza you SMB run along to one of your foam parties you obviously never been to a match.
    Ed disappointed you keep rehashing bad news we covered this yesterday. Obviously by the number of the adds on the site you need traffic to monetize it but at least try and keep your standards in the articles you post for discussion.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Jimmy…I can certainly see the irony in it. Perhaps double standards could be argued. However, the world is changing. We have countries needing millions and millions, not to clear debt, but to manage it. How can football clubs continue to run these non sustainable models. It is madness.

• jimmymagpie

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Ibiza – I don’t see how anyone can call you a bully, as you’re one of the more reasoned debaters on here, and I for one, enjoy your postings and banter, and long may they continue. By way, has Beattie actually gone? I think it would be a shame if he has.

• rainrix

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Troll! Kill the Troll! – Gandalf

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

One Tony (perhaps a good thing 🙂 )….SMB? Please enlighten me.

Would love to go to a foam party, but I fear ear infections as I have a perforated ear drum 🙁

I have been to one match before, is this a problem for you?

Jimmy…..I believe he has. A real shame. I’m not going anywhere, I just feel some sort of duty to throw back negativity as it has a way of snowballing on here, as I’m sure you’ve noticed. Whilst there may be problems to address at the club, I feel it important we keep a balanced view on here, which some seem incapable of doing….that’s from both camps, not just the negative inclined folk.

• jimmymagpie

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Ibiza – I have argued for years that the game has been in danger of ruin because of money. They only have themselves to blame though, as the Premier League was borne out of the rich looking after themselves, and Sky have an awful lot to answer for. It is ridiculous that professional sportsman, not just footballers, are earning more in a year some of them, than the medical staff that I see on a regular basis, who are trying to save lives. The world is mad mate, I agree with you 100%.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Jimmy…Don’t get me started on SKY (Rupert the devil)….you will see my negative side in full force there 🙂

Right, I must leave for a while. I look forward to catching up with you all later.

• jimmymagpie

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Oops, meant to say, more in a week, than the medics in a year, above.

• jimmymagpie

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Ibiza – bye, enjoy the sun.

• Markaccus

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Take care, ibiza, you smb muppet! Laters. 😀

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Jimmy…Cheers, It looks nice out there, i’ll stay cool in my ac 🙂

Mark….Please don’t forget mini accountant….it’s my proudest title 😉 Peace out!

• Markaccus

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Jimmy, if you don’t mind me asking, what is the health problem that you are suffering with? I realise it will have been mentioned somewhere, but I’ve missed it.

• jimmymagpie

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I’ve just been told that Vuckic is blo-dy injured AGAIN! Does that kid ever play more than3/4 consecutive matches? He, Ferguson, and the 2 Ameobis, must have season tickets for the treatment room. Evidently, Colo has contacted the club to tell them that his injury is not too serious. Fact remains, though, that he could do with a spell of rest, as that is the only way he’ll shake his hamstring injury off. Sound as if this injury may have been caused by him compensating for the hamstring, which has really been troubling him since pre-season.

• Markaccus

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Lmao @ ‘season tickets for the treatment room’. I like what they used to say about marcelinho and dyer, they were on a diet of kippers and pizza, because that’s all they could slide under their bedroom doors!

• jimmymagpie

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Markaccus – I had a major operation for a stomach tumour last year, and have regular check ups. Unfortunately, was told earlier this year, that I also now have a ‘problem’ in the colon, for which I have just finished a course of chemo last week.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Something I do find interesting – please feel free to correct me if I am wrong – is that MA wants us to live up to the FFP regulations and be sustainable and transfers aside, we almost managed that last year and this year. What we are failing at is generating revenues – even Tottenham is miles ahead of us (how come is that by the way?) If MA’s SD had paid for the advertising at SJP then we would be making a profit, meaning we would be breaking even. 🙂

I do wonder why he has decided not to pay up …I don’t know all the details anyway, but I guess one of the reasons why we didn’t spend more this transfer window is down to the fact he wants to break even and then it is a bit funny he doesn’t pay up I think 😉

Okay that was my thought of the day…i am all knackered now lol 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Jimmy…as always i am pulling for you; hang in there mate 🙁 cancer really is a bitch isn’t it?

You need to stay positive, not just about NUFC, but about life and people in general. The cup is half full kind of approach if you will 😉

• Markaccus

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Sorry to read that, Jimmy. I fully understand why you struggled at the game, as I had four courses of chemo from july 2004-jan 2OO5. (Apml leukaemia) I also understand your strong feelings about medical staffs pay, as they are all saints and angels without exception.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Jesper

The reason mike Ashley isnt paying for advertising is simple.

It woul just be him moving money from his sports direct company to his Newcastle company.

No doubt this would involve him paying ya on advertising so he would lose out.

Also sports direct is his main company and he has shareholders there to keep happy now.

If newcastle fans aren’t happy we can’t hurt him anywhere nearly as much as shareholders could hurt his sports direct brand

• Markaccus

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Of course, we musn’t forget ed, who has had some pretty hefty treatment over the last year for I believe similar reasons to you, jimmy. All the best in getting it sorted 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Jimmy

Hope all goes well at you fully recover.

Your insight into the club is always appreciated.

What people fail to understand is that when you hear something off your friends in the medical team it isn’t often 100% complete at the time and in football things can change fast.

So whilst hat you post is true at the time of posting Ashley or somebody else could suddenly change their mind and do the opposite.

Anyway glad your back and hope all goes well.

Just one final question…..do you think Ashley is harming the club or do you think he just isn’t doing enough to help?

• jimmymagpie

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Jesper – cheers, mate and Mark, hope all is well with you now. Following Ibiza’s lead now, and going to enjor the fresh air. Thanks for the craic, lads. See you later. HTL!