The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Defender Out Three To Four Weeks

8:08 pm, Thursday, September 6th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 65 Comments

We were hoping it would be sooner, but it could also have been much worse, so the news today that Danny Simpson will be out three to four weeks with his hamstring problem is not too bad.

Danny Simpson – in action against Atromitos

Simpson picked up a hamstring problem during last weekend’s 1-1 draw with Aston Villa, but the good thing is he came off immediately, and therefore didn’t make things even worse.

We think that’s what happened to Cheick Tiote in that first game, when he was all ready to come off after just 10 minutes, with Vurnon Anita all ready to come on, but Cheick stayed on the field – and hasn’t played since. :(

Simpson, the former Manchester United player had scans on the injury this week, but is hoping he could be back in a short three weeks time, as he had this to say on the Newcastle web-site today:

“It’s a lot better than I first thought.” “I have never had a hamstring problem before. I just felt something bad and I knew straight away I would have to come off.”

“I will just have to see how it is at the start of next week and take it from there, but hopefully I won’t miss too many games.”  “But the scan results came back on Wednesday and it is hopefully three weeks, maybe four maximum.”

“It depends on each person, their body and how quickly they recover, but it’s a lot better than what we first thought.”  “Already I’m walking easier than I was on Sunday, so that’s a good sign.”

“Injuries are part and parcel of being a footballer, but I’m not used to it – I haven’t had many injuries.”  “For a long time, I haven’t really had any issues in that area. It’s just one of those things, though.”

“With there not being a game for two weeks, if there is a time to have a little niggle then it’s probably now.”  “I will just have to see how it is at the start of next week and take it from there, but hopefully I won’t miss too many games.”

We’re also hoping that Fabricio Coloccini is fit when he returns from his trip to Argentina, and at the moment he is out injured with a muscle strain in his right leg.

Newcastle do not have too much cover across the back four, and it would be a bit of a calamity if we were to lose both Colo and Danny Simpson at the same time – that’s half our first choice back four would be out.

We have hopes that Coloccini will not play in the Argentina game next Tuesday night against Peru, and then he should have a decent chance of being fit for the important Everton game.

Ans as Danny says above,  he may only miss only a few games because of the International break – maybe a couple of games  at most?

And a short note to Danny – please sign that new contract.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+
You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com
=============================================

Tags: Danny Simpson · Fabricio Coloccini · Injuries

65 responses so far ↓

• 1 catchy in norway // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

last season was a fluke, which will be proved this year,

i guess my reason for thinking we will not do it again or better it, is pardew, its simple, he is a nice guy, but he is not a good manager,

• 2 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Super Magpie

I think we have the capabilities of finishing above Spurs this season, they are very vulnerable at the back, Kaboul is out for 4 months, Gallas is ancient, King has retired, which only leaves Vertonghen and Caulker as the other CBs. So we are vastly superior to them in that department.

They do have a pretty good midfield but up front they are pretty light, as are we, but I think we have a better manager and spirit. Whether we can finish above Arsenal remains to be seen but to me Arsenal are the only team between us and top 4.

• 3 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Its ok we have Debuch……. oh wait we never signed him :)

• 4 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Catchy

I cannot agree with you, he is double Manager of the Year. He has got the best out of players who didn’t cut it beforehand or those with suspect attitudes so he clearly is doing something right.

Like I said, perhaps it is your perception that needs to be questioned, and not the team and certainly not the manager

• 5 catchy in norway // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM

ruddy,,

we will see

im off

have a great night everyone

• 6 89Norcal // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Christ what’s with all the damn injuries? I guess Perch will be learning a new fullback role again!

@Ruddy, I’ve been contemplating that too. Spurs look weak defensively but they do still have Defoe, they’ve signed Adebayor permanently, and now they have Dempsey and we all remember what he did to us last season. They are a potent attack and should beat most clubs below them, or at least enough to finish above us.

• 7 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

89Norcal

If that Spurs defense suffered anymore injuries they would be in total crisis mode, yet some on here assume that other clubs don’t suffer from injuries and that we’re doomed simply because Colo has a bit of a strain and Raylor is injured.

Adebayor is very hit and miss, he was excellent last season but he has very questionable temperament and I wouldn’t bet against AVB rubbing him up the wrong way. Dempsey may not take the Spurs way as immediately as others think and I know he destroyed us on his own but I am yet to be convinced by him.

Dembele for 15 million? Seriously, what were they smoking? As fair as I am concerned 5th is likely, 4th is achievable.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Ruddy and catchy

I think you are both right to some extent.

I wouldn’t say last year was a fluke but we won games with hard work, not as teams around us did by blowing sides away.

We never got more than 3 goals in a game which is a worry as you usually get the odd 4/5 goal result in your favour.

I think pardew is a good manager but overly defensive. I think we aren’t taking full advantage of our attacking options and worry too much about winning 1-0 and not 3-0.

As soon as we get ahead we almost immediately drop off and invite pressure on ourselves. I think this tactic will come from pardew and not be a natural reaction of our players.

I found our best results came away as we hit hard on the counter attack like west brom but at home we didn’t look too troubled but didn’t often threaten enough.

If pardew attacked more and backed the players as I think he should we would see a massive improvement. Just like those 6 games we went 433 and dominated end of last year.

• 9 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

*As far as I am concerned….

• 10 MagpiesFlyHigh // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:29 PM

catchy

Do you really support the Toon ?
    I’m with Ruddy on this one.

• 11 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Right things seemed to have quietened down, some simply saw fit to try and point out flaws in others and contribute NOTHING in the way of footballing conversation, but I digress, and there has been rational and reasoned debate.

Is this really the NUFC blog? :P

Night all ;)

• 12 Transfer Sage // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Ruddy

Adebeyor has always been poor after signing his new contract. He seems to feel settled and be happy with it then not be as motivated.

• 13 BelfastMagpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Catchy I never take you seriously like.

If your not slagging of Obertan,your slagging of Pardew.

Your a Right little rain cloud of doom.

• 14 Super Magpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Ruddy

I see arsenal getting 4th quite easily because of the fact wenger knows what to do to get it.

Spurs have a good team, but AVB has tried to overhaul the squad too soon, and failing. Leaving unwanted and unhappy players who will not want to play under him. And he doesn’t look like a motivating this of person.

Everton have a very good team, but a small squad. They don’t have European football though so could challenge.

I honestly see Liverpool finishing in the bottom half this year. It won’t be what they want buy they need to rebuild and let rodgers input the style he wants them to play. It will pay off for them in the long term.

• 15 BelfastMagpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Finishing 5th over 38 games is not a fluke.

• 16 Super Magpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I swear to God…

This phone is really annoying me now.
    I copy my last post and it pastes the one before.

• 17 Super Magpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Ruddy

Very true We forget spurs also have Europa league football and in a tougher group too. They have Dawson too but is unwanted so won’t play much.

They have two good strikers in Adebayor and Defoe, but are pushing 30 and Defoe’s pace will start to fade.

Like I said 5-7 is the most realistic, but we could get 4th IF we strengthen in January. I Don’t think this squad can cope with 50+ games and finish 4th

• 18 MagpiesFlyHigh // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:55 PM

supermag

That’s about right… 5th-7th… If Gooners don’t get their strike rate up we may be able to compete with them… Not sure if Adebayor will drop off the pace, but I think we are pretty much a match for Spuds.

• 19 puretoon // Sep 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM

No Edd, we don’t want Simmo to sign a new contract thank you. He’s a greedy individual who’s been offered £25k by all accounts, but wants more-he’s not worth it-simples!
    To be honest, seeing as we didn’t sign Debuchy, I’d rather have one of the young ones in as we haven’t got Raylor or Perch now either. The longer Simmo is out the better as he’s crap!

I’ve noticed too that it seems not one of the OP’s are too bothered by him either as he’s not been mentioned at all

• 20 josh // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Good one puretoon. Send the minimal experienced lads to do a job of an experienced premier league defender that is not “crap” I have no idea where this bollocks comes from sometimes. Are people bred with fermented vegetables?

• 21 Super Magpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Arsenal create lots of chances and will score goals. Their defence has improved too. I think they will get 4th for many reasons.

• 22 Marty-Toon // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Stoke fans saying theyre delighted to have signed a striker that can get them 15 goals a season in Micky Owen…..yeah you must be takin the Micky like

• 23 Marty-Toon // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Josh,didn’t you know that our young defenders could walk into any premier league team ?lol
    These young lads could get crushed by being thrown in the deep end too soon

• 24 Super Magpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I think footballers who turn down improved contracts because teammates earn more are just totally greedy. Why would they need more money.

We have Sky Sports to blame for wages today

• 25 Super Magpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Marty

Are you sure they didnt mean 15 games?
    Off the bench? :D

• 26 josh // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM

My point exactly Marty. People sitting in their arm chairs with a negative opinion piss me right off. What justification can you possibly have for declaring that sort of bullshit like you are better than the man beingpaid to manage the team other than the fact that their a total Johnson?

• 27 Dannyo // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

So. if Tavernier is the one to replace him in the lineup, and does well, will he keep his spot?

• 28 Transfer Sage // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Super

Arsenal create but never seem to finish.

Van persie dug them Out a lot with special goals a lot last year.

Can their new boys do that?

• 29 Colo-Sus // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

You know that feeling when you need a Centre back, your manager says you need a centre back and your owner asks your manager when we are getting a centre back…then you have 3 months to buy one….then your best one gets injured and you also have two other defenders out injured.,….yeah that

• 30 Transfer Sage // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Josh

Football would be dull if we didn’t disagree with the manager sometimes.

Some managers give youngsters a go, others are scared to do it.

Playing the youngsters doesn’t make them ready but not playing them doesn’t mean they aren’t ready either.

• 31 MagpiesFlyHigh // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

dannyo

Tav did an interview saying he was just waiting for his chance so let’s hope he comes good pdq… better than in Greece anyway…that was a bit underwhelming as we know he’s better than that.

• 32 bollance // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Dannyo

Good question but think Anita will fill in until Simmo back. But we definitely need competion in midfield. Cabaye form up and down last season (remember after xmas before we went on the winning run?). He has not exactly continued the form for France, understandably though.

• 33 Super Magpie // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Transfer Sage

Who knows?
    Giroud was top score in Ligue 1 last season, but can’t seem to even a buy a goal atm.

Cazorla looks a tremendous player, Podolski has been hit and miss so far.

I think they’ll be fine

• 34 MagpiesFlyHigh // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Interesting point about Yo as if he plays badly then we do too. Def need more options for midfield general.
    Who’d you bring on Bollance ?

• 35 bollance // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM

it was very late in the day Tav signed the new deal. Maybe he was assured we would not sign another specialist right back?

We have lots of players who can play right back. Most are average. Did not see Villa game but is Anita the pick of the bunch? or do people think simmo is number 1?

• 36 Transfer Sage // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Super

I’m sure they will be fine.

Just not sure they have that bit of magic like van persie to turn the game when they need a goal.

Van persie scored special volleys and good shots from outside the box.

I think giroud and podolski will get the tap ins and standar goals he got just not sure if they have that bit of magic.

• 37 bollance // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

MFH

I picked up last season Cabaye was awful when Guthrie was playing well but pardew always put cabaye ahead of Guthrie (maybe because we knew Guthrie would leave at end of season). Can anyone remember QPR. Cabaye awful then got injured, stretchered off but fine next match?

The popular answer to your question would be to go 4-3-3

Ba – Cisse – HBA
    Gutierez – Anita – Tiote
    Santon – Willo – Colo – Saylor

• 38 bollance // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

But.. Cabaye will come good and if he can play anywhere like for France in Euros then we will benefit massively!

• 39 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Bollance
    Tbf to anita i thought he had a blinder at RB against villa but i also think hes looked decent enough in midfield more so than a few would have you believe think he’s gonna be a big player for us
    Having said that i actually think simmo was having a great start to the season so think he’ll keep the RB spot when he’s fit

• 40 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Ed, you should be writing headlines for the Red Tops.

• 41 bollance // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM

TADS

I am probably in the minority of liking Simo. If he had the talent going forward he would be very popular, like Santon is now. Santon fits the style the fans like and i beleive what Pards is trying to instil in team.

Sadly i watched the chelsea game and simo was poor going forwards, uncomfortable on the ball and stood out like a sore thumb. He is unpopular (unfairly) and does not fit the ethos of team. Think he will wish him well and would be happy for him to be successful in another team.

Anita has started well because he has played a lot this season and is ahead of most in sharpness. I still think he is finding his feet in midfield as it is a new position but there is no doubting he is an excellent footballer and will be very good where ever he plays for the team.

• 42 Dannyo // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Transfer Central TNC ?@TransferNewsCen
    The French Football Federation has decided to uphold Joey Barton’s 12-game ban. -K.

Ha, Ha, Ha.

• 43 bollance // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Anita – we relatively paid a lot for him so he must be good.

Last season Pards went to watch Ajax play. I posted on the blog we were looking at Anita. As a guess because i thought we were looking at a LB to move Santon to RB. Now i realise in the game he played centre mid and probably boilsen LB.

• 44 Magpies-till-d3ath // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I hope wee Owen will do well at Stoke! Really was a top class player, one of the best finishers ever on his day! If only injuries hadn’t got the better of him!

• 45 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

To be fair to Danny Simpson he has developed into a solid performer and valuable player although I think Pardew will ultimately be looking for more attacking wise from right back. When he first came in to the team, he couldn’t seem to find the right position as a first defender, either to close or too far away. It was so bad at times that he might as well have been sat on his backside. Carver seems to have sorted that out, thank f@#%!

• 46 Cool Hand Luke // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Simmo is for sure a solid defender, he just needs a bit more confidence going forward. If he doesnt want to take the man on (understandably, ill get to that) then just whip the ball in and hopefully Ba or Cisse will get on the end of it. At the very least he will be percieved as a threat by the defenders which could make them think twice about venturing too far forward down the left flank.

I know alot has been said about HBA not tracking back. I am of the opinion that he should be the one player free of defensive duties in the team, but if you look at the left flank, if Santon ventures forward, Jonas covers at left back. Theres no way HBA is going to do that. I think with the correct formation and a little practice with crosses Simmo will be a top class player.

• 47 Cool Hand Luke // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

To add to others comments and my post above, Anita did look very impressive at RB, the only difference that I can see between him and Simmo in that position was the willingness to whip that ball in first time, they are both quick and energetic.

• 48 Ian Toon // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Transfer Sage- it often takes French forwards a while to settle because of the pace and physicality of EPL.

• 49 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, I hope they sort out the contract stuff. He’s not my favorite player, but to his credit he has steadily improved with experience and that would suggest there is more improvement left in him.

• 50 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Yeah, I too would like to see Michael Owen succeed at Stoke. Not his fault he was so often injured at Newcastle nor that we offered him so much money and let’s be honest wasn’t the club a shambles back then. Top England striker in his day.

• 51 Ian Toon // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

If were only going to attack down the left – Santon- then you can double bank. It makes
    us far to predictable we suffered at Chelsea. Danny is quick but has not worked on the attacking side of his game. He did cross for Ba’s goal v Spurs. Anita though really improved the balance of the side once Danny went off injured.

• 52 beefman13 // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM

James tavernier is a really good kid he is quicker and better ball player than simpson in my view, he had a mare first half against atrimitos, but he will come on leaps and bounds for that experiance, its not like danny has not ever done owt wrong, he gives his all for us but tavernier is one kid who will leap out at us this season, he is bril at getting forward as well, lets cut him abit of slack.

My My catchy of norway, last season was a fluke over 38 games? and AP is a poor manager? the way he has brought this set of players together under hostile circumstances to start with at least then MANAGED these players in to a fantastic spirited and talented bunch should not be underestimated, quite unbelievable that you can come out with that statement and your we will see comment about it smells a bit son, so what are you going to say if we dont do well, playground, na na na na na, again i bet your predictions were all wrong for the previous three years!!!!! that was a really awful truely negative post.

• 53 Brutooon // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Simpson out won’t be a problem because we got ANITA who played well there against Aston Villa

After 3-4 weeks, Anita would be our first choice Right Back!

Simpson to be a bench warmer from that onwards

• 54 Ian Toon // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Beefman13- on Tavernier. Having watched him in reserves and at Gateshead I thought he would make a positive showing. He needs to work on his defensive covering caught out
    by not being goalside in Greece.

• 55 beefman13 // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM

cool hand luke, with respect, anita is in a different stratosphere from danny simpson in every aspect of his

game, quicker better technique, better passer, better reader of the game, better crosser, not havin a pop at you or simpson but the kid has been brought up in the ajax academy and is top drawer.

• 56 beefman13 // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Ian, i mentioned it was a poor first half in greece by tav, but my strong feeling is he will come good. Hes got all the atributes to go far.

• 57 Ian Toon // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Anita is the real deal but see him as playing alongside Tiote in a 4-2-3-1. Though certainly as a starter in place of Simpson who is just not good enough if we are to aim for a CL place.

• 58 pbNcl // Sep 6, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I haven’t read any of the comments, but I’ve decided to throw my whole support behind simpson. To get that good that most lads want him to sign up, that’s the challenge danny lad howeh

Tiote santon perch anita and get simpson up level and that’s a defensive force with skill, and that’s not even the lot

• 59 Ian Toon // Sep 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Beefman13- I thought Tav also did quite well at CB in some of pre season games. He might well start at Berwick tomorrow night.

• 60 pbNcl // Sep 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Jus read barton’s fate, nice one dannyo..
    Its like interpol but for divvy’s

• 61 beefman13 // Sep 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Ian, That would be good for him to get 90 mins, i really hope fergie gets a good run out as well, he is my fav of all the young players as i watched virtually all the reserve games he played, and for me he has not put a foot wrong when playing in the first team, he needs to stay injury free, he has missed the last two pre seasons with injuries, it must be so frustrating for him.

• 62 pbNcl // Sep 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM

If that’s true it is funny like, he’s tried to do a bunk to france thinkin he’s dodged the 12 game suspension for goin crackers in arguably qpr’s most important game of the season. They were lucky because of outside results. Last game of the season yeah. Then there’s his comments about being the best english midfielder and if I’m not mistaken saying he’s better than gerrard. He loves the toon aye, but blimy joey you don’t half dig a grave for yourself

• 63 Ian Toon // Sep 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Beef- fergie looked a great prospect 2 seasons ago. Does Pardew still see him as a full back ?

• 64 Ian Toon // Sep 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

People who act on impulse often feel that a frustrating situation is happening simply to make their life miserable. If Barton could have a more measured approach he would be calmer and keep his temper. In essence just being in control. I viewed Barton as I did Owen. They gave nothing back to The Toon having been well treated when misfortune stopped them playing.

• 65 h0sta // Sep 7, 2012 at 12:01 AM

ian toon – i have never seen shane as a winger…for me he is great full back..good crosses, small but quick – excellent combination for defender..i used to have play against a few guys of his height and speed and i absolutely hate it as a forward they´re really hard to undone :) so let´s have another evra,a.cole,marcelo in him

and to pardew and his tactics..i m always fascinated by his none substitution and doesn´t like the fact that we play with 2 tall slow strikers who can´t see the pass properly or can´t pass the ball to another..

if this squad could be mine….(piece of guns and rosses parralel)
    then i got them playing 433

krul
    raylor(every3gamesGoalfromFreekick)saylor,colo,santon
    tiote, cabaye, guti
    hba,cisse,marve

switch raylor for simmo and cabaye for anita by their form….our wing attacks could be absolutely deadly this way…

previous post: Pardew Wants To Do As Well As Last Season – Fans Are Doubtful

next post: Has Fab Coloccini Sustained A Serious Hamstring Injury?