This Part Of Newcastle’s Play Is Just Awful

One aspect of Newcastle’s play that has been disappointing so far this season are the set plays, and so far, as Alan Pardew point out today, they have been awful.

Alan Pardew – we’re not proficient on corners

In fact at the end 0f last season Alan Pardew said Newcastle needed to score more goals from set-plays, and he wanted to bring in a goal-scoring center-back who could score 10 goals a season.

At the time that was thought to be Ajax center-back Jan Vertonghen, but he didn’t join us, but went to Tottenham, and  we didn’t sign FC Twente center-back Douglas, who could have helped in that department.

As a reminder poor Mike Williamson still has to score his first goal for Newcastle after 75 appearances, although he’s gone very close on a  number of occasions.

Alan Pardew talked about set plays today in the local press:

“The set plays were awful against Villa.” “That’s why it was frustrating for a coach. We weren’t hitting the right areas.”  “We’re not brilliant from corners. Our record suggests we haven’t got great assets to score from corners. We’re not proficient.”

“As far as I’m sitting here now, I still feel we’ve had a decent start.”  “We’ve had tough games.”  “We have to take four points and qualification for the Europa League group stage and say okay, we need to up it a gear.”

It seems that for whatever reason, Newcastle came up short in the summer transfer window, because we’re sure that Aan Pardew was hoping to get at least one good defender through the door, and one young striker too.

But Newcastle failed to bring in either of their top targets in Luuk de Jong or Douglas from FC Twente, for different reasons.

We would hope that Newcastle will do one or two deals in the January transfer window, but a lot will depend on how Newcastle do before then, and how bad we’ve suffered from injuries, which aren’t looking too good at the moment.

And also of course, whether any top players are available, which is not always the case in January.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• pbNcl

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I wouldn’t say mike williamson is poor ed, its not his responisbility to score. Although its a benefit when defenders score. I can see another great season ahead I can jus feel it in my bones

• pbNcl

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Reading it again, you may of being sympathetic ed fair enough haha

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I also have a good feeling about this season., just in my bones, in my water so to speak, for all that it’s worth.

• Adopted_Geordie

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Bring back Beattie25!!!

• dave 1961

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Williamson has scored a couple, but unfortunately in his own net.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Bring back Superman!

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Where would this team finish.
    Perch
    Perch perch perch perch
    Tiote tiote tiote tiote
    Ben Arfa perch

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Wizard…if you remove Perch from the goal and the attack I think you’re on to something there 😉

• dave 1961

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

We should get Perch to mentor Obertan, as perch sets an example on what to do when things don’t go your way. it is a pity we don’t have a team of Perch’s as Conaldo suggests.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I actually think Obertan is showing some signs of improvement…lets wait an judge him again against Everton 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Good morning,

Jesper….You told me nothing 🙂

I would have to agree with most of your Muse and Elbow selections, although all time favourite Muse song may have to go to Feelin’ Good – even though it was Nina’s first, they did do it justice.

P.S. Please no discussing rum today, my head is in no fit state to think about it – rough doesn’t even begin to say how I’m feeling right now.

So, football…..shall I just slit my wrists now?

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Ibiza…what didn’t I tell you? I tell you everything 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Jesper….I don’t know, but you said I told you so, after me asking you not to….so basically you have started a war. Don’t fret though, it will start later or tomorrow when I can manage it without needing to lie down.

For now, calm is key 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Ibiza…rough nite? 😉

…you were sorely missed this morning – no one wanted to talk to me (only Ian, but he had to leave)

Did I say something wrong (It’s the Ed incidence all over again ) 😉 lol

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

P.S. We have a new thread

• Hatem's better than Messi

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Should of bought someone who could head the ball … Any Carroll perhaps?

• beefman13

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

We wasted 20 dead ball situations against villa, free kicks and corners, surely there is more to a corner than hitting the first man. cabaye is bril when he is in his stride but he hasnt been so far and therefore wasted good situations.

Anita put some good balls in near the end of the villa game and one resulted in a header out, and benny picking it up and smashing it in the onion bag.
    yohan has got to work and work at it he is technically excellent but hitting the first man virtually every time has most of us tearing their hair out..

as i said why dont they work on some free kicks and corners not just blasting them in the box but some set plays, that always amazes me that teams dont do more of that, remember the argie goal against england in 98, simple but so effective.

lets shake it up a bit beacuse opposing defenders know whats coming when we get a free kick and are ready and 8/10 clear our crosses and free kicks.

• numba9

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

If like to see some more of amflitano, Joey Barton had good set plays

• geordieviking

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I think Beefman summed it up perfectly. If youy don’t get the ball in the box then we aren’t going to score no matter how gould our player’s are at heading the ball. Get the prioities right, worry about the delivery first and then complain if we don’t score enough.