The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Fans Unsure Of Top Six Finish This Season

5:06 pm, Saturday, September 8th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 64 Comments

It’s always interesting to get the thoughts of Newcastle fans at the beginning of the season, and then check up next May on how we did on various things.

Ben Arfa - this lad wants Newcastle in top four never mind top six

Newcastle fans were disappointed with the summer transfer market, but on the other hand fans still think in the main that we have a stronger squad than last year at this time, as shown in these polls:

Are You Satisfied With Summer Transfer Business?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Do Newcastle Have A Stronger Squad Than Last Year At This Time?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

And finally 53% of fans don’t think we’ll finish in the top six this season.

Will Newcastle Finish In The Top Six This Season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

All three polls are still open,  and we’d like to have as many fans vote as possible to get a good representation – so if you want to vote here’s your chance, and it’s one vote per reader.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

64 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dannyo // Sep 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM

@Transfer Sage
    Yes, well that was the issue with getting a striker last summer i belive. A few clubs thought they could hike the prices up forever.
    Agents apparently thought the same if comments from last year are to be trusted.
    I think there are several oppertunities out there tho in the striker market. I reckon it would be a young fella. We have the senior strikers in Shola, Ba and Cisse.
    Worst case scenario we could be left to put our faith in Sammy, Campbell and Vuckic as strikers, with two of them being a injury prone…

• 2 Dannyo // Sep 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Been thinking a bit on this depth thing.
    Even if Perch, Simmo and Collo was out against Everton, you’d still be able to field Tavernier/Santon (RB), Willo (CB), Saylor(CB) and Fergy/Santon (LB).
    Could still have Good and Tavernier on the bench as cover.
    It’s not the greatest options, but they’re there.

• 3 Nufc-83 // Sep 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Is ivory coast vs Senegal on UK tv pple?

• 4 Dannyo // Sep 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM

@nufc 83
    Here u go bud:

• 5 Adopted_Geordie // Sep 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM

One part of me wants Senegal to qualify for the AFCON as it just might force the board’s hand to bring in a decent striker(also hoping than Senegal get knocked out of the competion early :-P )..else cant see anything more than a defender being brought in the january transfer window if at all we do any business!

• 6 Adopted_Geordie // Sep 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM

*that

• 7 Dannyo // Sep 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Nile Ranger does it again…

Nile ranger ?@NilePowerRanger
    You gotta b kidding me!!

• 8 brighter // Sep 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Côte d’Ivoire vs Senegal

• 9 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Nile ranger possibly the biggest tw@ ever to play for the toon

• 10 niafron // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM

@Brighter

What’s the score?

• 11 MacToon // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Still 0-0 niafron, only just kicked off.

Interestingly Cisse is up front alone with Ba on the bench and no Tiote playing.
    They seem to be playing on a farmer’s field?

• 12 niafron // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Well, they just went out of a civil war, so i guess gardening wasn’t exactly a top priority.

But indeed, this is hugly for a game of this level.

• 13 djm... // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

In terms of injuries in central defence we are possible seeing one of the worst combinations possible. Perch and willo are both second choice and it’s clear to see our setup works best with one small/more skillful player and one battering ram.

With colo and perch injured we may have to change the way our defence, one of the best (statistically) from last season, performs.

If we have to play Taylor and willo next week we will be playing with our two slow tall lumps with not much of a footballing brain.

This is the reason perch played against tottenham and not willo. He is the backup for colo so in theory we have not only lost our first and second choice right back but also our first and second choice left centre back.

• 14 niafron // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Who will missed us most? Tioté or the Dembaz?

• 15 karasu // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Holy crap they are airing the African Cup games on Youtube for free? Those damn money-grabbing Europeans and Americans. Why can’t they show some of their games for free as well?

• 16 niafron // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Lamouchi is coaching Ivory coast! I like this guy!

• 17 MagpiesFlyHigh // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM

djm

I thought the Colo injury was much less serious than first thought and he’d probably be okay for Everton ?

• 18 niafron // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

@KArasu

Are you turkish?

• 19 djm... // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Haven’t been keeping up with the news lately, last I heard it might be 6 weeks. Hope he’s back for everton though.

• 20 MacToon // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Good goal by Sengal lol

• 21 Grafton83 // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Yup 1-0 so far. Guess pards will be worrying now. Ivory Coast have not lost for 20 years or something at home so long way to go yet.

MacToon where are you watching game is it on TV?

• 22 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

1-1

• 23 MacToon // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

on this link Grafton, terrible commentator, 1-1 now.

• 24 Marty-Toon // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I think we had a good window in regards to some good young players and Anita but absolutely shocking that we didn’t get a striker and even more shocking that we didn’t at least get a senior CB in.
    Terrible!!!
    Now we see (although lucky with int. break) that we’re looking very thin in certain areas.
    We deserve what we get and we might struggle until January with the cup games the Pl and the Europa league.
    It will bring injuries,that’s a fact all clubs without the financial clout of the big boys find out the hard way.
    Ben Arfa and Cabaye and the likes will not stay around if they don’t see the team being strengthened .
    All players want to win somethin in their careers.
    If they don’t see that winning something with the toon they will move on,we may make money on gem and replace them with as good or better players but it always seems that when we’re close to being challengers that we put the brakes on in regards to getting a couple of players in that would bring us onwards.
    I feel that had we bought a decent goal scoring CB and a quick striker we would really challenge this year.
    As or now with injuries and the amount of games we will play it’ll be difficult to stay around 5/6 th place
    I honestly hope I’m wrong and that we’re in a good position in January so we can buy a player or two and go for it

• 25 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

On topic I think we really have a good shout of finish top 6, a lot of people think we have a thin squad that cannot compete on 4 fronts but look at it this way, if our progression in Europe is hampering us in the PL then we will simply sacrifice it in order to maintain our standard in the league, some people don’t like this attitude, I personally don’t like it, but it is what I think Pards would do.

Having said that, I actually do think we have a squad (including youngsters) capable of being very competitive across the board and I look forward to this season’s domestic and European adventures with child-like gusto.

For those of you who wish to fully understand (or simply re-read) the whole “why jimmy left the blog” scenario sorted once and for all, here is a link to the said article.

Read from comment 288 onwards and make up your own mind on who was at fault.

• 26 jonobbad // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

7th will be best we will get with the current squad i believe.
    Still a good achievement mind.

• 27 Grafton83 // Sep 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Thanks MacToon, any predictions on a final score/result. I still need to recover my bet365 balance following Armitos or whatever that Greek team were called.

• 28 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Jonobbad

Any specific reason why we are incapable of breaking into the top 6 with the squad we have?

• 29 Grafton83 // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

The main reason being we’ve not got a squad big enough to cope with the amount of games this year. We were also fortunate last year that a number of teams performed below expectations which allowed us to finish above them. Also tactically Pardew is not going to get us in the top 6 using a 442 just to keep both dembas happy.

Those are the main reasons ruddy, hope im wrong.

• 30 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Ruddy
    Thats must of taken you hours to find that lad!
    Maybe pushy pardew and ian toon can now point out how i was instrumental and abbusive to jimmy magpie doubt it tho!

Mac toon
    Did you watch any of the ACON last year? It doesnt sound like the pitches have changed much i remember watching one match and i swear there were ruts in the pitch from where a tractor had been across it!

• 31 Marty-Toon // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Fair enough Ruddy,
    I get your point on AP putting the Pl position over the Europa league and that’s what’s expected of him from MA n co.
    There’s more cash in the PL positions but Ben Arfa and the likes want to compete in Europe and if we put our focus on being a top 6 or hopefully a top 4 team then they’ll eventually want to go somewhere else.
    It’s important that we show we’re going to try push for something in the next 2/3 years

• 32 jonobbad // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Because imo their are 6 sides who are better than us.
    We were 5th best last season and chelsea have spent 80m roughly so they will be above us and
    Everton look very strong with a good team spirit and have started much better than they usually do.
    Spurs will start to play once they get used to new tactics and being without modric.
    I think arsenal will not miss RVP as much as some people think, once podolski and giroud bed in.
    We have made a good acquisition with anita but missed a brilliant chance to strengthen a few areas, and i dont buy all this glorious optimism in all the kids.
    There are a few who are looking good but most of them are not first team quality..yet.

• 33 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Grafton

A few assumptions being made.

1) That other teams won’t perform below expectations again this season. There is no reason why not.

2) Pardew will play 4-4-2 all season to keep the Dembas happy. I seriously doubt that we will play 4-4-2 all season, especially if the two Senegalese boys continue to not fire together.

As far as the amount of games are concerned, we will probably play youngsters in the League Cup which will save the senior players, and where possible, we will probably also bleed youngsters in European football, at least until the latter stages if we reach that far.

There is nothing in our squad (other than being quite light up front) that makes me think that we cannot compete for a top 6 finish.

• 34 Marty-Toon // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM

@Grafton
    You say we were lucky to finish where we did last year!
    I say that we were unlucky as we definitely made a good push after January and played good football and definitely could have won a couple more games

• 35 niafron // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

In my opinion we need a tactical change. We can’t play like past season.

There’s no stagnation in football. Either you improve or you regress.

I don’t think we could have the same enthusiasm we had last season.
    So we must improve on a tactical point of view.

• 36 xmindcrimex // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I think 7th is achievable as well. I won’t be disappointed with 8th either and anything higher is a bonus for me. I just think Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Tottenham and Everton will be higher. Though I can see the 5th – 7th standing betwen us, Everton or Tottenham.

Just my own personal voodoo hoodoo predicament. :P

Anything can happen in football. :)

• 37 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Jonobbad
    I have to disagree about spurs i just dont rate AVB not just tactically i just dont think he knows how to deal with the egos he’s already p1ssed off Lloris and by all acounts spurs fans seem to think theres a massive unrest in the dressing room and no ones behind him, of course thats just just a rumour like!

• 38 MacToon // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Gratfton, think this game will end a draw but wouldn’t put any money on it ;-)

tads, yeah I watched when I could and the pitches are on the whole terrible, glad Ba isn’t playing as they are not good pitches for knees.

• 39 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM

tads

It did….it really did haha I don’t get why people were giving you grief over the situation though, even Beattie wasn’t even that bad, he was somewhat cutting in part but jimmy, in my view was the most abusive of all, especially to me yet I was called the bully! haha selective reading by some.

Marty Toon

Yeah I agree that keeping pushing for European football on a yearly basis is vital in keeping your key stars convinced that the club is ambitious and I think we are more than capable of doing that with the squad we have.

Jonobbad

Everton have started well but they have a very light squad past their first XI, few key injuries and they are screwed too, they have signed a good few players but lost a vital cog in Cahill, and it remains to be seen if their new signings can step up.

Spurs are drastically short at the back, with King’s retirement, Kaboul out for the rest of year and Dawson supposedly not being backed by AVB (despite being made captain) I can see this being a transition year for them.

Arsenal and Chelsea are the only sides mentioned who I think will finish above us, which leaves us scrapping around for 5th ;)

• 40 jonobbad // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM

xmindcrimex

Completely Agree

• 41 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Ruddy
    Well fair play for persevering with it! Some ppl just come on for an arguement!

Mac toon
    Last thing we need is big demba coming back crocked! Mind you i wouldnt let a sunday league team play on that pitch!

• 42 jonobbad // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Also last year we were tipped for relegation, whereas this year they will all know what to expect.
    Although no one ever sees ben arfa coming.

• 43 Transfer Sage // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I think arsenal will sore goals but they don’t have the magic of van persi to get the 7-10 special goals he got. Sure giroud will score but he won’t get the same special goals like van persie did when they were playing Poorly but still won.

I think spurs will regress under avb, he seems to do things just to stamp his authority and not for the good of the team. Players at Chelsea saw through this and I’m sure spurs will too.

Everton are good but are no better than us.

I see us challenging 4-7th but expect us to end up 5/6th.

Only time will tell.

Any teams around us could also suffer key injuries. We just need luck on our side in that department

• 44 Marty-Toon // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

If we can keep Ben Arfa,Tiote and Cabaye fit this season or get them fit then we will be there or there abouts.
    Hopefully Vukcic , Abeid ,Marveau and Obertan can start to come good and that would really help the team

• 45 Grafton83 // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Marty Toon I didn’t say we were lucky, i think we were slightly unlucky that we conceeded so late against Arsenal. The way we played last year we earned that position. I do however still think we were forunate that other teams around us for whatever reason didn’t perform well. I think it’s unlikely that a team like Chelsea will finish 6th given the money they continue to invest

• 46 niafron // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Got to go lads.

Bonne soirée messieurs.

• 47 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Right lads, I’m away to beautify myself for a night on the tiles and then I’m going to watch a bit of Murray’s match.

Chat later lads :D

• 48 Grafton83 // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Papiss scored

• 49 MacToon // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Cisse the goal machine …… 2-1 lol

• 50 Grafton83 // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

That was an amazing goal, i take it all back, top 6 with that man upfront. I hope evryone gets to see that header it was from the edge of the box

• 51 nico // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Cisse has just scored a header from outside the 18 yard box. WOW

• 52 Kebabacus // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

What a header… DOOSH!

Does anyone else make that sound when headering? Or is it just me?

• 53 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Cisse
    Wow just amazing now start foing that at the toon lad!!!!!

• 54 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Kebabacus
    No i shout bow chicka wow wow
    Dooosh just sounds wierd fella ;)

• 55 MacToon // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

lol 2-2 ha ha, my prediction could still come true lol

So, does Cisse look comfortable being the only striker, I think so.

• 56 Kebabacus // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

toonarmydownsouth,

We all do it differently, it’s the end result that counts :)

• 57 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Kebabacus
    I can garuntee you my end result is never anywhere near an 18 yr yard header cisse style!!

• 58 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

3-2 to Ivory Coast, Drogba penalty

• 59 MacToon // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

4-2 to Ivory Coast. Can’t say I’m not happy if it finishes this way.

• 60 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Mactoon
    Its all about the ivory coast! Think we have plenty of cover for tiote tbf

• 61 Marty-Toon // Sep 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Chelsea will surely be challenging at the top three this year with the start and squad they have.They look quality
    We just need maybe 2 players to complete us,shame that didn’t appen

• 62 Brutooon // Sep 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM

1) Last year EVERYONE expect us to struggle but we manage to prove them wrong. Less Pressure last year

2) This year most team will prepare more when play against us.

3) With the current squad ( and Euro commitment) we might be lucky if got top 6. my prediction would be top 8-10

• 63 toonincheek // Sep 9, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Wish Cisse had scored a simple tap in for Senegal
    and
    saved THAT goal for us ! !

• 64 archaeomag // Sep 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM

What a ‘king header – he cannot score a tap in – he scores works of art!

previous post: Newcastle Hurt By Agents – Why Are They Not Being Reported?

next post: Late Goals Win Game 4-2 For Ivory Coast Against Senegal – Video