Newcastle Hurt By Agents – Why Are They Not Being Reported?

One of the reasons why Newcastle have made only a moderate start to the season so far, has been put down to agents promising players things they just couldn’t come through with, and we suppose also some big clubs like Arsenal bidding for some of our best players – like Yohan Cabaye as one example.

Malcolm Macdonald – Newcastle should be reporting the agents at fault

Notice that’s only a supposition, and we have no direct proof that the poor form of  some of Newcastle’s best  players has been caused by that – they are professionals and they get big big money for kicking the ball around in Newcastle’s famous black and white stripes, and first and foremost it’s up to them to get the job done for the club.

Malcolm Macdonald doesn’t usually hold back (that could be an understatement), and in his column in the Evening Chronicle today, he says the Newcastle Board should be going after those agents who  have upset some of the Newcastle players:

“It seems that certain Newcastle players who helped fashion a fifth-top finish last season have been targeted for unsettling promises which never materialized.” “They have been left bemused and, it would seem, on a downer. Certainly it showed in the body language of some against Aston Villa.”

“Well, if I was in United’s boardroom I would move Heaven and Earth to get confirmation of which agents were at fault and report them to football’s hierarchy.” “It is an absolute disgrace to unsettle footballers in this way. United have been left to pick up the pieces and it could cost them.”

It’s too easy to blame other people for the situation Newcastle are in, and as Alan Pardew has said – like the leader he is – it’s up to him and the rest of the Newcastle coaching staff to somehow get the lads back to playing the good football we know they are very capable of.

There’s no reason they cannot start doing that at Everton a week on Monday.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Kyo

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Stop blaming Agents. Blame the players who had their heads turned by money and kick their collective arses into gear.

• BigKirky

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM

It’s all well and good saying this, but I’m sure we’ve been doing some unsettling ourselves, so can’t really blame it much. It goes on in football all the time I’m sure.

• jimiley

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I wonder if we unsettled Debuchy. Swings and roudabouts. How can anybody be unsettled playing for Newcastle?

• rwpoynter

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM

There will always be politics being played in a game as big as football. I think agents are a plague on the game, simply because they don’t make a penny until a player moves. The sooner we get rid of them the better. Equally, players are to be blamed for greed. Most of the bloggers on this sight would give their right arm for the pay the reserves get ( and that included me when I was working and even more so now that I am retired) and it is their hard earned money which keeps this circus going. But for how much longer? If you really don’t like Mike Ashley, stop buying your season tickets. Why don’t you? Because like me, you believe in the concept of NUFC. I personally, live 220 miles away from the Tyne so I rarely contribute to the coffers but I am a fanatic supporter but not in the sense that jimmymagpie is. The man deserves a medal and though I do have differences of opinion with him he , rather than me, is what being a Newcastle supporter is all about. There may be flaws in what Platini is trying to do, but the idea is absolutely right so we should support it and get rid of all the parasites who are infecting this wonderful game.

• thebionicMAG

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Well on this evidence nobody seems to be unsettling HBA but then again as i said in a previous post he is the one Newcastle player who WANTED badly to play for the club!
    Agree 100% with jimiley didn’t im sure our advances unsettled Debuchey, i wonder how well he will play when he’s over his injury?

• West_End_TooN

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

any 1 else heard anything more about were after roysten drenthe would be a great addition to the team for free

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Bionic Mag

HBA is the one player who badly wants to play for the club? Well considering that Colo has been with us through relegation, Saylor is a Geordie, Jonas lives and dies for the club, Simmo has constantly pledged his loyalty to the club and Krul is a world class keeper who could, in all honesty, play for any club in the PL, and Tiote has been subject to so called bigger clubs coming in for him to say that HBA is the ONE Newcastle player that wants to play for the club badly is a bit of an exaggeration. I agree that he has played well but let’s not jump the gun here by slating the rest of our squad when you praise one player.

We seem to have a nucleus that is loyal to the club which is a far cry from the players we had only a few seasons ago.

• Ian Toon

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

rwpoynter @ 4 – it is reassuring to have a poster present such a well balanced series of points. Agents do of course make commission when a player obtains an improved extended contract with an existing club. You make an extremely good point that we support NUFC come what may and I also endorse your point about the desire to get the parasites out of the beautiful game. We could do with getting rid of the small number of turf warriors on here who don’t allow people to have a different point of view without bullying them. Quite often they just get the wrong end of the stick – the point being made.

• Wandering Geordie

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Morning all.The ones that matter are us and we have been unsettled for months.Rumours, Rumours, Rumours drawn up by agents and the media alike.It will always happen.

We have January to look forward too with more rumours and unsettled players once again. It will be same story different month.Oh to be a Toon fan

• thebionicMAG

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM

rwpoynter

The spirit of what you said is admirable however i’m not sure what you said about agents only getting money from sales being correct. I know in the acting business agents get anywhere from 10-20% of their clients from every job they put them up for though I’m not sure this percentage is or would be the same in football. They do however get big bonuses for transferees as you correctly said. I also agree they are parasites.

Her’s what I think: After successfully scouting, clubs should employ a ‘purchaser’ to negotiate and buy players. The F.A. should have a club registry where all clubs can make it known what they are looking for should they be looking for a particular position to be filled, then the players themselves should just apply themselves if they want to leave.
    Say if a NUFC player wants to leave and applies to Everton, then its up to Everton the set the price and offer wage terms etc just like in any other job.It would also to include broken contract clauses if they want the player bad enough. If say NUFC scouts and enquires about a player, then of course that club they enquire to can set the price for their player if they wish to sell. This would stop all the nonsense Ed was talking about in the header.
    Lawyers should be the only representation clubs and footballers need with so much money involved.

• Cool Hand Luke

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

jimiley, fair point, but we didn’t tap him up like the agents calling our players mobiles and promising to double their wages etc, the Lille board was approached with regards to Matthieu.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I understand the need for agents.

Some players would get by without them but a lot of players wouldn’t know how to negotiate a contract.

For me you need to do the following.

1. Agents are paid a flat fee £x per month for example

2. All agents must be licensed and regulated by FIFA

3. Players may only be represented by one agent at a time

4. No bonuses are to be paid, it encourages transfers for the sake of a pay off

• Cool Hand Luke

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

rwpoynter i agree that agents should be banned from the game. It should be a case where a player approaches a lawyer to have a contract checked once the clubs have agreed a fee instead of agents who profit off unsettling players and causing them to demand moves. The setup is totally wrong at the minute.

• thebionicMAG

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Ruddy you are right 100%, but I think you may have miss understood my comment.
    I said he’s was the one player who WANTED as in before he signed for us, not ‘wants’ like you said which would indicate players who are currently playing. I also said it was a follow on to my post in an earlier thread where I commented on his actually going on strike to play for us. Do you see what I mean?

• Transfer Sage

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Cool hand Luke

Did the tapping up of our players really happen? Thins like that are reported usually and fines issued.

The club and cisse immediately filed a complaint and took legal action over a paper publishing rumours so surely we’d be hot on tappin up

• thebionicMAG

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Transfere Sage

You’re right some players wouldn’t know how to negotiate a conttrat thats why I said the only thing Clubs and players would need is a lawyer.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM

BionicMag

With all due respect to HBA he went on strike to force a move from Lyon to Marseilles, and went on strike to force a move from Marseilles to us. He had a huge bust up with Deschamps at Marseilles which is why he wanted to leave there. I know NUFC is a fantastic club but HBa going o n strike was more due to his temperament rather than a desire to play for us. It may have been more of a case of “anywhere but Marseilles” rather than a desire to play for us.

• thebionicMAG

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

However there is no way agents will phased out so i agree totally that NO BONUSES should be allowed as it does encourage transfers for the sake of a pay off.

• Pushy Pardew

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

rwpoynter
    You talk about cleaning up the game well i would like to see this blog cleaned up for the loyal and fantastic NUFC supporters from all over the world.to us quickly and diligently. Ed does a superb job in bringing so much news on the club I spent a fair bit of time reading the blog before coming on it and you get to know the idiots to avoid and those who make a worthwhile contribution. Some just want things to kick off and have little interest in engagingwith others who have a different point of view. On the recent incident when Jimmy Magpie left(only to return later) i have to say that poster Ruddy who is extremely entertaining and supportive of the club was not the villian who caused the split. It was in fact engineered by Beattie 25 and Toon Army Down South .(TADS). The following morning TADS apologised to Jimmy for his bad and insulting behaviour. My purpose in posting this is purely to clean up the blog which has gone down hill for more than a month. I note that poster Ibiza said that he was planning to look back at the history which will confirm my comments.

• thebionicMAG

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Take your point again Ruddy but for whatever reason he still wanted to play for us. He could have easily sat in a villa somewhere and let his agents do all the work but he personally flew to Tyneside. He wanted to play for us and judging by his performances still does.

I can understand people distaste to players going on strike and to a certain degree i don’t like it either but don’t think football clubs are whiter than white. We don’t work for them like footballers do. Some clubs can be total basturds to players and treat them badly just like some employers treat us.
    I was in LA a couple of years ago a friend of mine introduced to me to a past and very famous NUFC defender who lives out there now. We had a very interesting conversation. Ruddy you wouldn’t believe what an infamous member of the Hall family said to him. It was one of the reasons why he left.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM

BionicMag

I am not for one second criticising our “mercurial” (love that word) HBA, he seems to be a very passionate man, whenever he doesn’t like something he goes out of his way to change it, and I do love the fact that he personally flew himself over here to force through the move.

I do, however, dislike the whole idea of going on strike to force a transfer, it just seems unprofessional. However, I take your point about clubs definitely not being innocent in matters of this nature. I know you are probably not at liberty to divulge this very famous former defender so I will not press you for an answer although I may have an idea who you’re on about.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Also, thanks for the vindication there Push Pardew, maybe people may start to think I am not a complete arsehole…and wonders may never cease 😛

• thebionicMAG

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Which post was the incident in? I also agree I have read many your posts Ruddy and you have never came across as the villain. I have seen you passionately defend yourself, and mix it back when others have been rude.

The venom just has to stop. We can all agree to disagree. If we were all sat together in a pub there is no way we would be calling each other ‘idiots’ and ‘tosser’ etc. Some people are misunderstood but thats still not a reason to start a bun fight. We are all on the same side here. We need to remember that.

• thebionicMAG

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Cheers Ruddy
    The Hall in question BTW said something extremely offensive then proceeded to pull out a huge wad of cash from his pocket and tell him to know his place cause he’ll never earn as much as him, before driving off in his porsche. What a tosser!

• Pushy Pardew

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Ruddy
    It’s not that it’s you i just hate injustice. You got a lot of unfair criticism. I am sure your not a saint but you show an undying loyalty to NUFC which i do and indeed do so many of the fans from all over the world. Good luck to you and thank you for responding.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Pushey pardew
    Get your facts right mate at no point did i apologise for my “bad or insulting behaviour” i apologised for having a conversation with jimmy about concerns that vuckic seemed to be falling behind in the youth ranks especially with players like bigi n abied being bought in,
    If you need some sort of conformation of this beyond acient history im sure jimmy will be on during the week and you can ask him!

Can i ask why exactly you and ian toon seem obsessed with bringing this up over and over when it has no bairnig on what is being discussed or when you weren’t even involved with the original discussion?

• Cool Hand Luke

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Transfer Sage, I was just referring to Alan Pardew’s claims a few days back, unless he was speaking in general terms about what agents get up to, but the way I read it he had specific incidents in mind that had happened to his players.

By the way i think we are on the same page about how Agents should operate.

• chris_g

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Pushy Pardew // Sep 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    said:

….. my purpose in posting this is purely to clean up the blog which has gone down hill for more than a month. I note that poster Ibiza said that he was planning to look back at the history which will confirm my comments.
    —————————-

Don’t worry. All your comments are now in the public domain, so if poster Ibiza forgets to look back at the history, there will be plenty of people on here who would be able to confirm what you said 😉

• Cool Hand Luke

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM

In relation to all the rowing on here, there’s just too many inflated egos. Does the slightest disagreement really have to be reposted over a number of articles just so someone picks up on the rebuttal and escalates it into a huge issue?

Everyone (aside from the few that do know each other face to face) is a username on a website sitting behind a computer and typing, winning or losing an argument online really isn’t going to make a difference in the real world so its essentially a waste of energy.

It happens in most sports related forums when there is an off season and no action of note to discuss, people get bored and frustrated and then rows erupt. Its draining for everyone else to read though so some consideration is in order.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Cool Hand Luke
    sorry fella and i know you said something about it the other day but its frustrating when you come on here and for no reason at some ppl are talking about you in an incident there clearly have no knowledge on!!

oh well hopefully detective inspector ibiza can track down this pesky article and end it all!!

• thebionicMAG

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM

toonarmydownsouth
    What was the incident Pushy Pardew is talking about? Don’t worry I’m not here do drag the argument up again, I’m just incredibly nosey 😉

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM

TheBionicMAG
    Tbh cant really remember it was like the end of june!
    All i really remember is talking to him about vuckic, which led to him n beattie and a few others having a barney which was way OTT
    And the next day i apologised to him for starting the coneversation which seemed to lead to all out blog warfare
    Like i said hopefully detective ibiza can shed some light on it!

• Transfer Sage

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Luke

Yeh I remember pardew saying that. I net know of he is using it as an excuse to relieve some pressure from himself and the team or if he is serious.

I’m just surprised we never saw a complaint get put in if it’s as bad as made out.

Either way it’s done now and no matter who rang our players they should focus. If arsenal or any team wanted our players then they should have bid more. Surely cabaye would be more annoyed that the supposed bigger team didn’t value him as highly as they should have.

• thebionicMAG

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Very valid point Transfer Sage

• Cool Hand Luke

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM

toonarmydownsouth its ok, i wasnt even thinking of that specifically, there’s been a number of seemingly never ending feuds going on all summer.

Transfer Sage, I think no matter what happened or didn’t happen it will take a few weeks for the players to get used to the idea that they are Toon players and have a job to do.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Sage
    Agree no matter no made contact with them the window is shut and they should be nothing less than 100% focuses on the upcoming season with the toon end of!

Also what happenend with maluoda that is that bad hes been banished to chelski’s reserves? Seems a waste of a player

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Cool Hand Luke
    Ueah have to agree its been bordering on ridiculous on a few occasions! Oh well the window’s shut so that should end half the fighting!!!

• niafron

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Bonjour messieurs.

• niafron

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Cabaye had a good run for France yesterday. Not an excellent one, but that’s better.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Sorry there lads was off for a while.

With regards falling out and arguing I think I have ample experience in this field as there was a period where anything I said was obviously construed as an argument, if some of you even wish to go through one of the threads from yesterday you will find a certain poster call Offkey who was starting a row with me over something a said a few weeks ago, and it is just unnecessary.

On the jimmymagpie issue, I simply made my feelings clear to him, that he may know people inside the club but that he was certainly not privy to any more information than any of the rest of us and the fact that he abused this so called “ITK position” as a way of pushing forward his anti-MA bullcrap was totally unfair. Beattie may have taken it a step further but, from my own point of view, I certainly did not bully him, further down that same thread I was getting all the stick for forcing him off the blog as people think I am the blog version of the devil reincarnate.