African Cup Of Nations Qualification – So Far So Good

The Ivory Coast came back from being 2-1 down on Saturday against Senegal, and scored three good goals in the last 25 minutes in Abidjan, and two of those in the last 10 minutes to come out 4-2 winners.

Les Ferdinand – Ivory Coast win would be much better for Newcastle

That’s a good result for Newcastle because if the Ivory Coast qualify for the African Cup of Nations in January, we lose only Cheick Tiote, otherwise we lose both our top strikers Cisse and Ba, and we don’t exactly have much in reserve in the striker department at the moment.

It’s a two legged play-off and the second leg takes place in Dakar on October 10th, and we have to hope the Ivorians prevail – if only for the good of Newcastle.

Certainly Newcastle fans will be cheering on the Ivorians who should now qualify (we hope), after getting that two goal lead on Saturday at home.

Les Ferdinand has given a number of interviews today in the local pres, and he had this to say about that play-off:

“Losing your two best strikers in the middle of the season would be a nightmare for Alan Pardew.” “So – no disrespect to Senegal – but you can be sure he will be keeping his fingers crossed that Ivory Coast finish the job and qualify next month.”

“It would be a big disappointment for Ba and Cisse, because of course they want to represent their country at a major tournament, but from a purely Newcastle point of view it would be good news.” “Ba and Cisse were so important to United last season with their goals, and it would be very hard to replace them if they went away on international duty.”

“It’s almost a case of tossing a coin for Alan Pardew – but I know which option he would prefer!” “If the Ivory Coast qualify, Newcastle could still have Tiote away. He’s an important player for Newcastle, but it would be easier to manage without one midfielder than your two best strikers.”

“It’s an old problem, because managers know when they sign internationals from Africa that the chances are they will lose them for the African Nations Cup every two years.” “It’s something you have to consider. But no one can blame the players for wanting to compete in the competition. The ACN is as important to African players as the European Championships are to us.”

“They are proud to pull on their country’s shirt and they want to play on that stage.”

The African Cup of Nations wanted to switch their competition to odd years, so they avoid the European Championships and the World Cup which take place during even years.

But that means there will be two successive African Cup of Nations (AFCON) – and we lost Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba and Cheick Tiote last January and February.

Let’s hope the AFCON don’t have a change of mind again and want to change back to even years – any time soon. 😀

Comments always welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and +1 us on Google+

Google+

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Repost

Wait a minute, here I was thinking most people were happy keeping all of our players ? . Well it has come back to bite them now and Mike Ashleys Aces might as well be deuces now. No-one expected Mike to shock the transfer world they just wanted adequate cover for a team supposedly challenging for the top 4

. 1 Full back (Debuchy)
    . 1 Center back (not to replace Taylor but good enough for the PL)
    . 1 Young hungry striker to keep Ba & Cisse on their toes
    . We got Anita (1 out of 4 aint bad I suppose 🙂 )

It would have cost about 10-20 million but once again Mike Ashley is playing high stakes poker with my hometown club and it does not fill me with confidence. I’ll say it again, I am not angry just very very disappointed

• Pushy Pardew

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Belfast Magpie
    From previous post

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Always want Tiote about, however, losing half of our strike force (inc. young Campbell) for a month or so is simply not an option for us.

We have cover in the middle, so Ivory Coast all the way 🙂

• rainrix

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Wow the blogs surprisingly quiet. No doubt that has something to do with the school holidays ending 🙂

• bollance

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Spanish prince

You can always be relied on for a bit of positivity. 😉

• Pushy Pardew

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM

@6
    It’s only a matter of time before Cabaye and Cisse reach full fitness. Personally i feel that Cabaye and Cisse would benefit from a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation . 4-4-2 is old hat because more and more teams are playing with 5 across midfield . Remember the Spurs game where Tiote and Cabaye had to contend with 3 central midfieldersin the first half. Pardew changed things around in the 2nd half with Guti playing CM allowing Cabaye to play further up the pitch where he is most effective. Pardew does have a dilemma in that Ben Arfa occupied the Cabaye slot against Villa after |Bigi came on. With HBA
    in a more central position and Cabaye was switched to the right hand side where he was largely ineffective.
    However the two frenchman are able to adjust their movement here. The general movement off the ball has generally been poor and this is another area for the manager to work on.

• Pushy Pardew

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Why dont we just wait until Coloccini is examined by our medical team before saying hes out for 6 weeks. The doom mongers are already sounding off.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Bollance….It’s what I do 🙂

Pushy…Where’s the fun in not panicking about something we don’t know yet?

• Pushy Pardew

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Ibiza
    I am a relative newcomer on here but i have read posts for a while. I just wanted to say that you constantly prove that you can have entertainment on here without being offensive.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM

But it could have good riddance for NUFC if Senegal had won; My dark side wants to teach the board a lesson since they made their bed and they’ll have to lay in it 😉

…but the force is strong with me 😉 lol

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM

*upps had to say been or else it just doesn’t make any sense 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Jesper…..I sense a great conflict in you young padawan. You must learn to use the force for good and good only. Much learning you must do. 🙂

Pushy…..So your not a newly branded poster then? I do try and remain upbeat and entertaining, I’m sure I have overt stepped the mark on occasion 🙂

How do you feel about the current state of things at NUFC?

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Ibiza…meditate on this I will 😉 lol

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Good, otherwise i’ll lightsaber you’re ass 😉

• martoon

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM

rainrix @4 – I think it’s definitely because the schools have gone back.
    If I recall correctly when the transfer window was open there were many suggestions for CBs and strikers etc. but I can’t remember many people suggesting goalkeepers. Now we have the the Krul injury everybody is saying ‘I told you so’!
    If Krul’s injury is serious you can get dispensation to sign a keeper but I suppose our reason that our reserve keepers are too old or cr*p is not a valid reason 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM

It is monday in a week we play right?

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Martoon…we won’t get any dispensations cause we had adequate cover.

I am not worried about our goalkeeper situation (Krul won’t be out long…knock on wood) I am more concerned about our defense since AP persist on playing 4-4-2.

I good way to counter a weak defense is to keep the ball outof the defense 😉 hi I think I should reintroduce the fortune cookie of the day 😉 lol

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Ivory Coast should win the match, they have a two goal advantage but Senegal did get two away goals so could be in with a shout but still Ivory Coast should make it

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Jesper…Yes, Monday week.

Martoon….Well, they said new signing were needed, so we may as well include a new GK in that….sounds reasonable enough and good reason to have a whinge.

DOOM People, complete and utter devastating DOOM!

• rainrix

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Martoon… Ha i noticed some people commenting on the GK situation. Some people just like to complain to be fair it just suits them. 😉

• Pushy Pardew

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Ibiza
    No i am not a rebranded poster. I decided to go live because Ruddy was being blamed but infact was blamless, you know what i am talking about and i don’t want it to kick off again. Ruddy shares my positivity as indeed do you on all things NUFC. The club is being well run and the manager has to make a case for all transfer expenditure. A poster this morning made a good point on for every injury there is an opportunity for someone else. We have the best reserve squad for more than a decade and still to see the best of our most talented players like Cisse, Cabaye. I must admit i enjoyed my kangaroo court , Monty Python sketch at the expense of the aweful tads- he abused my young 10
    year old son a while ago and i know i should resist revenge but it was hilarious for a number of friends present who also have had family members abused by the odious bloke. Kids who just wanted to have a bit of fun after a game and mention not much more than what a great goal etc they had seen. I wasnt going to do anything until another poster commented on his bullying. Well i am off to the gym

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM

And Ibiza…our little competition will start up again come next week 😉 are you ready to rumble?

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Regarding Ivory Coast vs Senegal everyone on here should know nothing is a given in a football match

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Pushy…Well, new positive posters are always welcomed (well, everyone is welcome really). Did you have a problem with Tads? I must be missing something or missed a particular event, some people seem to have an issue with him.

Jesper….I’m in training and am waiting to wipe the floor with you 🙂

• t00ntime

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

When i first heard Krul was injured I thought people on here wud blame MA for not strengthing in the summer, and i was right. A quick question, what drffrence does it make that we didnt strengthen, we were never looking for a keeper so krul’s injury would
    Of been just as big a blow as it is now

• Pushy Pardew

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Ibiza
    No i set the whole thing up. I knew how he would react and he was done like a kipper really hoodwinked. Even an Tsunki whats up intervention was almost scripted with his reference to nice job Sherlock Holmes older brother. It gave me the chance to seamlessly say Ruddy has been found not guilty which leavesTads, Beattie25and Jimmy. It was on saturday night. Well less time at gym.

• bollance

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Pardew recently used the barca system to highlight the plan to bring more youth players through for NUFC. If you notice throughout the reserve and u18 team we are now fast tracking lots of players. Even in the first team. Abeid played 1 or 2 last season and was tipped by some to make the breakthrough this season, and he still may do just that. But with the aquisition of Bigi (younger than Abeid), Abeid has been pushed down the order. Campbell (17) prefered to Ranger and Xisco in Europe to date.

In the reserve team we have Satka (only 16) playing centre back and apparently performing comfortably.

In the u18 half of the team is made up of 1st year schollars (16-17 year olds) and younger (barlaser & Adam Armstrong 15).

There is of course Remi Street (17) who according to Pardew is physically ready for first team football. Injured at present.

Andy woodman’s son who is playing in goal for England u16 at the age of 15.

Clearing out the u18 and development squad has allowed this fast tracking of players, a good move in my opinion. Keeping a small squad will mean we need to rely more on youth like Tav, Bigi, Sami, Fergie and Vuckic. Not to mention the star Campell!

Barca have 8 current 1st team players who have come through their youth system. In 10 years time could we be replicate this acheivement?

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Are there any full International games this week or is it only U21?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Pushy….This is what happens when I leave the blog 🙂 Have a good one at the gym (if that’s the appropriate thing to say before someone heads to the gym – Have a sweaty one seems off). 🙂

Bollance…The last line of your comment is perfect. The only way it will be possible imo, is to give these young talents an opportunity. If they don’t get them, they will leave and then no, it wont be possible. We seem to be building for a great future, given the years we have waited as fans, I don’t see why everyone has become so impatient now we can see the ground work being taken care of. Oh I remember, it’s because Ashley cares more about Rangers than us – Silly me!

• rainrix

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Jesper…. England play tomorrow so i assume there’s others on

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Jesper…There are, but don’t ask me who and when. I believe everyone had two qualifiers during the break (I think England have Ukraine tomorrow, but not 100%).

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Bollance…I like your post. To quote one Michael Laudrup: “You only need a first team of 22-23 players, the rest should be made up of youngsters”.

I believe that to be the right way forward 🙂

The trick is to balance those 22-23 players out so you have cover on each position. We are currently one short in defense and one short in attack.

That should have been dealt with 🙂 besides that I am happy as a chipper 😉 lol

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Right then lads, I am off for a while….hmmm…where did those tick boxes disappear to? Was going to give it a go…oh well, I will have to check for posts myself – sigh 🙂

Take it easy

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Maybe it is just us who are not plying 🙁

• MAG04

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I know people are understandably worried about this but when Ba and Cisse are clearly very proud to play for their country I think there is value in them having that time away on an international stage to built confidence (look how Cisse came back last season) and feel like playing for Newcastle United is giving them those opportunities to be picked for their country.

It would also force the board to invest in a new striker in January which is unlikely to happen if they don’t qualify and it would give some of the squad players motivation to work hard and play well.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

We are playing Bulgaria on Oktober 12 – it is a long way to next monday for me…

Maybe I am going to watch the Danish U21 tomorrow 🙂 might be fun!

• tedbaker

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM

did nobody else see the cisse goal? v good. on 101goals there

• beefman13

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Mag 04, your right the squad players will want to prove what they can do, and that has worked continually for me over the last 3 years, young fergie may get a chance (terrific kid) romain amilifatano may get a chance, bigi has had a taste and shows no nerves and is literally slotting right in.

i have faith if we are further stretched through injuries.

players with points to prove are the ones you want. it may mean marveaux gets an extended run, for me he will only get better also.

injuries area concern of course but lets get behind those players who are going to come in.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Does anyone know when the loan window opens?

• phoonck

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM

@MAG04
    u’ve mentioned that we should have kept Fraser Foster at the club and keep Tim Krul on his toes.. c’mon.. would you stay? if you think you’re no worse than Tim Krul and able to command regular starts as the main keeper at another club that pays as much and is in the Champions League, would you have stayed?

its not all about the club. you said that from a fan’s point of view, but players have got to think for their career! players have got to play week in week out to maintain their form, fitness and sharpness. i cant believe people actually said we should have kept Leon Best, or Peter Lovenkrands.. not every player are as loyal and as noble as Steve Harper and Shola Ameobi, to stay at the club and play 2nd fiddle. dont get me wrong, they’re both good enough to start in other premier league teams, and so i totally respect them.

@some negative fans(the complain contingent)
    its just some people on this blog think its easy to manage a club that gets me on my nerves, be it as a manager level or senior management level.. you’ve got to factor in alot of things which you dont see from where you’re standing! i support newcastle because i have a special affection for the club which i cant explain..

people crying for chances to be given to the young ones like Shane Ferguson, James Tavernier, Mehdi Abeid and Haris Vuckic, just to name a few. but when the team didn’t buy players(you wanted full backs? we’ve got Vurnin Anita, Shane Ferguson and James Tavernier. you wanted a forward/striker? we’ve got Adam Campbell, Haris Vuckic and Samuel Ameobi. you wanted a DM to cover Cheick Tiote? we’ve bought Vurnon Anita and Gael Bigirimana, and have got Dan Gosling and Mehdi Abeid! and even Roman Amalfitano as an attacking mid!)

you want perfect summer spendings and perfect management teams that always go according to your plans? go support the chelseas and manchesters.. or even better, play football manager.. support the team through thick and thin, winning trophies or fighting relegations, buying world class players or signing free transfers.. thats what i call a true supporter! dont like the way Mike Ashley is handling your beloved club? buy over from him and have it run your way then..

Keep the Faith