The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

England’s Late Equalizer Salvages 1-1 Draw Against Ukraine

10:27 pm, Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

In Roy Hodgson’s first game at Wembley as the England manager, he only just managed from suffering a rare home defeat,  when a Frank Lampard penalty equalized the scores at 1-1 with just three minutes of normal time remaining, after Ukraine had gone ahead with a magnificent strike from Yevhen Konoplyanka after 38 minutes

It looked like Jermain Defoe had put England ahead in the first half when he beat a couple of men and rifled the ball into the back of the net, but he had pushed off one of the Ukraine defenders and the goal was disallowed. The English TV commentators said it was a harsh decision, but Jermain had pushed off a defender – an obvious foul by the rules of the game .

And then Phil Jagielka had a free header from Gerrard’s corner, but from only six yards out it lacked enough power, and Phil should really have scored, and then Tom Cleverley  somehow missed a golden chance, when he failed to put the ball in the back of the net – but only  managed to hit goalkeeper Andriy Pyatov from six yards out – Tom should have scored.

England could and should have been ahead by one or two goals at this point, but then after 38 minutes Yevhen Konoplyanka  got the ball and moved inside and from  five yards outside the penalty unleashed a tremendous shot into the top corner, that gave England goalkeeper no chance at all.  It was a great goal and Steven Gerard had tried to block the shot but, he didn’t get close enough to the Ukranian striker.

At the half it was still 1-0 to Ukraine.

England pressed in the second half, but the Ukraine were holding out and right back Glen Johnson of Liverpool, who was having a good game storming up the right wing, almost scored a great equalizer, but the Ukrainian goalkeeper turned the ball around the post, from Glen’s excellent left foot shot, but a goal kick was given.

And then Welbeck should have scored when he had an excellent chance six yards out, but he managed to somehow hit the post,  and the ball was cleared.

But then some good ball-work and skill from Danny Welbeck got England a penalty after 87 minutes, when a Ukrainian defender clearly handled the ball in the penalty box, and for the 9th time in 11 attempts, the reliable Frank Lampard blasted home the penalty  to even the score.

England went all out for the winner after that, but Steven Gerrard managed to pick up a second yellow card and was sent off, and after four minutes of added time the final whistle was blown.

England had dropped two points at home, which was unexpected against a country ranked 39 in the FIFA rankings, with England currently ranked the third best in the world – somehow.

It was a disappointing result for England and only a so-so performance at Wembley from the England side.

Comments welcome.

Tags: England News · International News · Newcastle News · World Cup 2014

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:31 PM

i fitted a kitchen for my bro-in-law instead. Was that wrong?

• 2 AMEOBI // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Didn’t watch the match, won’t watch them either.. Awful overpaid player like Lampard/Gerrard/Terry.. Should be long gone from England. I’d stick to me newcastle!

• 3 toonLYF // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Meh.

• 4 cupiddstunt // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Well at least it’s not a loss :)

• 5 toonLYF // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

genuinely think Newcastle could beat England.

• 6 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

So the third best national team in the world snatches a late draw against relatively average opposition at home. Gimme a break, we have no chance in Brazil

• 7 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Cupid – are you referring to me? I wouldn’t be so sure, family jobs never pay.

• 8 ToonDownSouth // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

“The English TV commentators said it was a harsh decision, but Jermain had pushed off a defender – an obvious foul by the rules of the game .”

Please tell me that’s a joke…

• 9 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Ed’s using his noggin – how better to fight the whiners than to put an article on about an even worse team? Nice deflection.

• 10 ToonDownSouth // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

BPC

Do Sweden go to th WC hoping to win the thing? Do Korea? Do Australia?

I don’t really understand your point. Everyone knows England’s players are not good enough, so why should we expect anything more?

Is there anyone that genuinely expects England to go to Brazil and win? I highly doubt it.

• 11 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM

TDS – to be fair to BPC, our FIFA ranking suggests we do indeed have aspirations of victory at any given WC. Silly as it may seem. 😉

• 12 89Norcal // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I watched the Spain v Georgia game and it was just as poor. Most on Georgia’s part. I don’t think they ever stepped out of their own penalty box!

Anyone watching France v Belarus? Cabaye looking very good so far

• 13 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM

TDS

I am referring more to our world ranking more than anything else. I could name ten teams now that are better than England . I also hate how the national press hype us up all the time, we beat a very poor team 5-0 at the weekend and suddenly we are on the world cup band wagon again. Don’t get me wrong there is nothing more that I would like than to see England do it in brazil (Well maybe NUFC winning a cup) and underdogs like Greece can do it. I’m just a realist that’s all :)

• 14 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Anyhoo, reading previous articles and seeing all the guff about twitterites saying there is unrest at the club, and still barfing up transfer window failings. It’s just self-promotion.

I just wish the crap spreaders who seem to be haunting the blog of late would grow up and become familiar with the real world of present-day economics in ALL corporate affairs and stop insisting that football clubs be free-spending gambling houses. If they all stood back a pace or two and had a good look at the club now they would appreciate what good shape we are in, as of this moment in europe and both cups, strengthened team, good reserve and academy setup. What do they want, jam?

• 15 tarie4 // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM

ToonDownSouth

It wasn’t a joke and it was a foul imo. In the premiership yes it wasn’t, but on the continent it was. And the referee was from??

• 16 Lanzatoon42 // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I don t know why i watch england.
    The usual load of crap, boring football and will be lucky to qualify for brazil. Anyway thats the best england will do.

• 17 ToonDownSouth // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM

BPC & Tsunki

I appreciate that the world ranking system seems ridiculous, but to be fair any algorithm will always throw up a few anomilies. The fact is that we’re 3rd because we usually perform consistently well in qualifying and friendlies – something that no other team does. I don’t think there’s necessarily anything wrong with the system itself. We also didn’t lose a game at the Euros, so that’s pushed us up a bit.

I agree with the hype being ridiculous, but to be fair I don’t think anyone with a brain is under any illusions as to how good England are. It’s just the papers doing their usual routine of building something up so that they can knock it back down again.

I enjoy watching England like I enjoy watching Newcastle – I don’t ever expect us to win things, but I just enjoy the occasional high, and get disappointed at the occasional low. No different for me really.

• 18 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM

TDS – I feel your pain.

• 19 beddersmag // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:01 PM

BPC

Same debate about Moldovan quality with my mate last night. Ranked in 100s but don’t seem to get tonked much. In euro 2012 qualifiers lost 1.0 and 0.1 to Holland. 2.1 to Sweden. Beat Finland 2.0 and worst beating was Sweden 4.1. Drew 0.0 with Belarus earlier this year. 0.5 away win above par, and that goal difference could be crucial. Tonight was unlucky with weakened side. We are third because we generally dispose of 90% of european teams in qualification. So we sre 3rd on merit. Doesnt mean anything when we end up playing a big boy in the latter stages of a tournment though- you know the outcome

• 20 ToonDownSouth // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM

tarie

I disagree. I always read people talking about how soft continental referees are, but I just don’t see it myself.

Defoe put his hand up behind him to protect himself. It touched the players neck. The player pretended he’d been struck in the face, in the hope that Defoe would be punished.

That’s the situation from my point of view. If that was a Newcastle player I’d be so so so embarassed, as I was when Perch acted like he did against Liverpool.

• 21 BelfastMagpie // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

International football is rubbish.

The two week international breaks are bloddy boring.lol

And the numptys who decided to switch the games to a friday nyt,instead of a Saturday need a good slap. :-)

It makes the break even worse.

• 22 tarie4 // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Tsunki

I think it stems from a genuine hatred of Ashley more than anything else. I mean roll back 12 months ago, we were all complaining about losing Nolan Enrique etc, also apparently no striker had been bought, Williamson was injured we had no backup. Pards was a yes man with no spine. The list is endless, and the team pards and ASHLEY all proved us wrong. We came 5th. Had a 11 unbeaten strike, a 6 game on the trot winning run.
    and not one of the neggers (esp JIMMYMAGPIE) congratulated Ashley, and to some extent pards for the successful season. All they could say was that if we had defensive cover and had Cisse been bought in august instead of January we would have finished 4th.

Some might say Ashley is a lucky man, firing Houghton hiring pards, carr, selling Nolan Carroll etc getting cabaye Benny etc. But in hindsight weren’t those the decisions that got us 5th in the league last year.

Considering all this, I would rather trust Ashley, than anyman who can say we are going nowhere with Ashley, and he has no ambition, etc. Coz we came from playing Scunthorpe to playing Bordeaux in the Europa league in 3 seasons. (And pple still moan???) relegation DID NOT give all of us a wake up call and a dose of realism. It just kept most quiet for a season and a half.

• 23 BelfastMagpie // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I’d love to know who’s great Idea that was?

Probably that twat Platini no doubt.

• 24 magpiebop // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Some fans are stuborn to the point of still not giving a penny to the club while Ashley is owner. Would we have had the extra money for Debuchy if it wasn’t for these so called fans? Bit of a catch twentytwo eh!

• 25 tarie4 // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM

ToonDownSouth

That is football nowadays mate, and Defoe didn’t tap the guy, he pushed him away dnt U think 😉 had he not been pushed, he would have had a clear path to make a tackle, (hence why Defoe put his hand out)
    That was a foul)
    As for going down easily, that is the game now. Had perch not gone down, would Reina been sent off?? Wud sess from the unwashed been sent off??
    If it was only toon players doing it, yes it would be wrong. But every footballer is doing it. Yes some over do it, but thats part of the game. That’s a fact. And its nothing imo to be embarrassed about..

• 26 ToonDownSouth // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM

tarie

I really disagree with the “it’s part of the game” idea, though I’m aware loads of people feel the same.

In my opinion, the people who pay to watch football do not want to see it – so it shouldn’t happen.

• 27 ToonDownSouth // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Also, Welbeck’s dive was awful.

Hopefully that’ll shut up those who claim that it’s all the foreign players!

• 28 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

On diving allot of players say we need more protection which is bullsh*t IMO . Its not as if players were getting their legs broken every weekend and needed referees to save them. I would love to see a stat comparing serious injury’s from 20 years ago to the last 5 years or so, I bet you it will be no different. You can just as easily break your leg by tangling legs like Djibrill Cisse or Henrick Larrson. I dread to think what it will be like in another 10 years, I half expect them to have pillows gaffa taped to their body’s :)

• 29 weg // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I cant believe Glen Johnson is still in this damn England team!! He’s one of the worst right backs we’ve ever had. People seem to be hypnotized by his runs down the wing – HE’S MEANT TO BE A DEFENDER! Granted, right backs are required to go forward sometimes, but not 95% of the time! He waits too long to cross or pass, loses the ball and gets caught out of position, leaving Milner to try to track back. Johnson thinks he’s Ronaldo!!! HE’S NOT!!! He doesn’t have it upstairs!
    This team lacks quality passing, basic control, and any smidgeon of creativity! Lampard’s too slow in his thinking, Cleverley is raw, Welbeck has the touch of a Rhino, Milner’s stuck doing his job and Johnson’s, Defoe needs a strike partner.
    It’s time Hodgson woke up and realised that this England team needs a major overhaul! (and it has done for two or three years!). We need players with quick, alert minds, more than an ounce of control/skill, and an obvious desire to fight for the cause! Far too many players are building up their cap total without deserving them.
    Please, Hodgson, remove Glen Johnson to obscurity – or, at least, play him as a winger, rather than a right back. It would suit him better!
    I live in hope!

• 30 AMEOBI // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM

??When I was at school I was a fella, round the bikeshed fingering Daniella

• 31 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

@ Weg

That is a bit harsh on Johnson like. If you can name a better English right back other than maybe Kyle Walker who is just as attacking then be my guest ? . I’ll tell you one thing though, I would have him over Simmo any day of the week. Plus Johnson is a Toon fan aswell :)

• 32 FatmanJoe // Sep 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I was at wembley tonight and believe me Johnson didn’t even excel in the right wing role. I used to really like him but there was actual moments in this game where he was just stood still. Still. A footballer playing an important qualifier in a forward position standing bloody still. In the first half he half heartedly called for it (and got ignored) but in the second he was so lazy!

No one covered themselves in glory tonight. Gerrard and Milner ran their socks off with no avail and lampard was steady without being spectacular but the others Inc hart didn’t seem to have the heart for it. Welbeck was lively when he came on tho.

Jagielka is appallingly slow! I didn’t realise til tonight how slow he is off the ball!

Anyway. Disappointing performance. Must sleep.

• 33 AMEOBI // Sep 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Big Pappa Cissé,

Micah Richards is your answer?

• 34 toonLYF // Sep 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Micah Richards is better than both Glen Johnson and Kyle Walker imo.

• 35 AMEOBI // Sep 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I’d love England back 4 as Richards, Saylor, Cahill, Baines.
    That would be some defence

• 36 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Richards maybe better than Johnson but not Walker IMO. You have got to ask the question why Richards has not been picked by the last few England managers and also not getting a game at City ? Can’t just be a coincidence

• 37 AMEOBI // Sep 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Big Pappa Cissé,

He’s injured will be near fit now though.. Why they bought Maicon. He’s a mile ahead of Walker and Johnson.. Walker is only fast but weak he’s not that good. Richards is the best RB England have, its that simple

• 38 ToonDownSouth // Sep 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Got to disagree on Richards.

Like BPC said, you have to question why multiple England managers have overlooked him, and why Mancini is continually critical of him.

• 39 Zebras4Life // Sep 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

USA looking strong tonight!

• 40 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Sep 12, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Anyone seen the Australia – Jordan highlights? The Jordanian no. 9 is an absolute disgrace.

Ridiculous dive and then over- celebrates just winning the penalty prior to it being scored.

2 things that I detest in football.

• 41 jesperfuglsang // Sep 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Good morning lads… I didn’t find the time to watch the game anyway so how was it?

Hear alot this morning about diving and missed opportunities…

• 42 Ian Toon // Sep 12, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Jesper / Ibiza —Good morning.
    I can take it that we will have some misguided fans who think we’re heading for midfield mediocrity. But when you get even a few seriously making a case for Cabaye to be dropped ! Then it is misguided nonsensical rubbish. Anyway I have thought Cabs had looked short of match fitness, which is not surprising , given that he had only played 20 minutes pre season. I watched the French Game
    and was rewarded by seeing a really impressive midfield controlling performance with Cabaye playing for around 75 minutes by which time the game was done and dusted . It confirmed that to get the best out of our side and Cabaye the side has to be set up to control the midfield and play a pass and move game of 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 . Less long ball and Tiote Anita- HBA Cabaye and Marve with Cisse or Ba up front. Critics say we have a problem because HBA and Cabs
    want to occupy the same ground – their intelligent and can interchange for fun. Let’s be less negative and adopt a more fluid system to encompass our most creative players into the side. Pardew has spoken of controlling the midfield to control the game. We practiced it pre season let’s put it into action and be positive. Winning or losing will not define our season.

• 43 Ian Toon // Sep 12, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Jesper- I only saw bits but from the phone in England were aweful. The Ukraine goal was shades of HBA v Villa with Gerrard failing to close down. We left it late with a Lampard penalty.

• 44 Ian Toon // Sep 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Jesper – Sorry to have missed you yet again. Have a good day -hope you don’t have to endure too much negativity. Sometimes I think it resembles our relegation season the attitude of some.

• 45 jesperfuglsang // Sep 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Ian…I’ll catch you later mate and I’ll give you an answer – my honest opinion to your great post :)

Basically it all comes down having a concept that captures your way of thinking football and at the same time getting you results.

The problem I have at the moment (last season as well) is that is seems Pardew philosophy is more of a rigid 4-4-2 than a fluid 4-3-3, but he bought continental players who are more used the fluid systems.

Hence the problems we see on the field. Last season we were winning never the less – it didn’t always look good and lady luck was on our side more than not.

Neither Cabs nor Benny looks comfortable in a 4-4-2 formation, but worse of all we don’t really utilize them to our advantage. We are out of balance because Cabs wants to be our playmaker and Benny wants to roam around freely and on top of that we don’t even create enough chances to justify two forwards.

Now I didn’t watch the French games, but I did during the EC and the problem with (bare in mind the were alot ;)) was that they were playing 4-2-3-1 and Nasri and Benny were always trying to occupy the same space.

Those of you how know physics knows that is not possible 😉 lol

Ian in short I agree with you mate – I don’t really know why some of our fans are so hard to please, but on the same time I do understand why some at times get frustrated with certain aspects of our game.

I am all for a more fluid system and I am all for dropping either Ba or Cisse to make that happen – for me Ba works just fine on the left.

But I think we work better in a 4-3-3 than a 4-2-3-1 😉

Guess I ended up answering you after all :) lol

• 46 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Good morning campers,

We have a fun filled, action packed day ahead of us….oh wait, sorry, read the wrong day in my diary. As you were.

On the England game last night, their goal was really well taken. Apart from that I saw about 3 minutes of the game, not a lot, but seemed enough to know we didn’t play well.

• 47 jesperfuglsang // Sep 12, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Ibiza..is the versión en español de la inclusión de un millón de dólares that time consuming that you don’t have time to enjoy a game football?

Can I please have a word with the producer? 😉 lol

Disclaimer: I have no idea of if that’s Spanish or not :)

• 48 jesperfuglsang // Sep 12, 2012 at 8:40 AM

*of

• 49 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Jesper….It was a bloomin’ good effort. I’d have a word with myself about my hours, but I’m most unreasonable :)

I was actually on here trying to figure out who Steve Wraith was – Seems he’s just a fool. As always, time will tell and in the meantime doom will take over us all :)

• 50 jesperfuglsang // Sep 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Maarten Stekelenburg apparently had a fantastic game for Holland yesterday and both Cabaye and France were great.

…had my doubts about France with both Ribery and Benzema still in the team (really dislike those two along with Nasri)…boy I really need to work on that! lol

• 51 jesperfuglsang // Sep 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Ibiza..I did stop by yesterday evening, but it was impossible to get a word in 😉 lol

…that name had me wondering too 😉 so are you anymore wiser now?

• 52 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Seems he’s a boxing promoter based in Newcastle. Looking at general opinions on here and, I know as I say this how non-conclusive it is, Twitter.

There may well be an element of truth, we certainly don’t know for sure. But he’s been going on about how there is more information he was told, but that he felt he must put this out there to the fans of our great club. When asked what the rest of the info was, he dodged around it. Why? Sounds like rubbish or at best taken a small bit of info and blowing it out of proportion.

I guess he needs some attention – some have said he is organising an event soon….perhaps some free promotion?

I really do dislike Twitter. Free speech is one thing, giving morons a platform to vent their every thought is something completely different.

“I’ve just woken up, it’s 7.30am”
    “Just went to brush my teeth – who left the cap of the toothpaste – LOL”

I should stop complaining, it’s not like I use the site.

OK, next bit of business we need to address…..

• 53 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:04 AM

• 54 jesperfuglsang // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Ibiza…I’ll read that article later; now I have to take care of some business and find time to run 5 miles 😉

See you in a bit…

• 55 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Jesper….Oh god, you’re an outdoors person :)

Take care mate