Steve Harper Back in Familiar Role At Newcastle

Steve Harper seemed to be on his way out of Newcastle last season, when Rob Elliot was signed from Charlton and seemed to be the number two goalkeeper to Tim Krul.

Steve Harper – back as Newcastle number two

And the Easington-born 37 year-old even went on a short loan spell to Brighton last season, and we thought during the summer he could be sent out on loan to fulfill the final year of his contract on Tyneside.

Steve was signed back in 1993 by Kevin Keegan and when he finally hangs up his boots (or should that be gloves?) – at least at Newcastle next summer, he will have been at the club for 20 seasons.

And it could be that Steve plays at Everton next Monday night for his first Premier League game in about 17 months, since he last played in the Premier League in April of last year in the 1-0 loss at Aston Villa.

But it also seems there’s a chance Tim can make that game, if his elbow responds to the treatment he is now getting at Newcastle, and there’s still six days for Tim to recover.

Steve showed in pre-season he is still a very good and safe goalkeeper, and he is now back as number two, and Rob Elliot seems to be number three goalkeeper on Tyneside.

That’s a very familiar role for Steve, since he was back-up goalkeeper to Shay Given when Shay was on Tyneside from the summer of 1997 though January of 2009, and Shay played 482 total games for the club – by our reckoning.

This is what Steve had to say to the local press today:

“I feel the best I’ve felt for a long time. We all knew that this season there was a chance to get games under our belts.” “I had a chat with the manager at the start of pre-season and he said there would be an opportunity.”

“We all want to remind him we’re ready if needed.” “Having the extra games gives you that level of competitiveness. It’s good for everybody.”

For the record Stave Harper has played 192 times for Newcastle in his career, and when he does finally retire from playing, whether that be next summer or later than that, we’d love to see him become a coach at Newcastle.

But it seems he will have a few more games to play for Newcastle this season, even if Tim is fit next Monday, because Steve will likely start all the games in Europe.

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• rainrix

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Speaking about RBs does anyone remember when tiote played Rb against chelsea in the league cup a couple of seasons ago? Not suggesting we play him there just wondered if anyone remembered how comically bad he was 🙂

• Nufc-83

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

From last post re simpson:
    This article gives a fair reflection i suppose (stats to me don’t show the whole picture).

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

now that’s loyalty for club Steve harper could have been a no 1 keeper of most of the clubs in premier league he has the quality but he never left nufc and was happy to play the role given by the managers salute this man for his loyalty Owen should eat harper s shite to become loyal to anybody

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Bit of a tough one to call with Harper. Lack of ambition of undying loyalty? Either way, he is a really good keeper and we’ve been lucky to have him at the club all this time, ready to step in when needed. Would love him to be a coach someday for us, he certainly deserves it and would be great to have in and around the team, he’s been around for the highs and lows and can teach the new comers a thing or two about what it means to play for Newcastle.

• cyprus

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Ed,
    don’t want to defend anyone, but naming someone best RB at NUFC after half a game in that role is just a tad offensive to the guy who’s been there for a while now. Let him play at least, say, two games there and then decide 🙂

• rainrix

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Oh and 1st come at me sparky >_>

• cyprus

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Ibiza,
    Only prob with Harper is he doesn’t come out, same with Given who however was our best shot stopper yet.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Cypurs…..Given was my hero for a good long while. Harper obv has room for improvement, I guess at his age we’ll have to accept those short comings though 🙂

Nufc-83….Very fair I would say. I completely agree he isn’t spectacular and clearly can be improved on. But he’s not as awful as a lot of people make out imo.

Rainrix…..You’ll regret that 😉

• AMEOBI

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Harper had the chance years ago to be a regular England GK no doubt about it but preferred to play for his team. The guy could of moved to get regular football.. Steve Harper what a bloke!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Here’s the full story from that SS tweet earlier. Interesting times ahead….

• numba9

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Harper for me was better all round than Shay and when he got his chance proved so. Shay would then proceed to moan and want new contracts or he would leave because he felt the pressure I believe. Harper didn’t do this he has been so loyal !

• stu.toon

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

From the previous story: how can the majority of people say Anita is a better RB than Simmo based on 1 performance there in the premier league? Say what you like about Simmo, but for me he was one of our most consistent performers last season and I like the kid at RB. Remember he flung that ball in for Ba’s goal against spurs and puts in a better ball than any of our “wingers”

• New kingdom United

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Header created by reader Tony Anderson

PLEASE ADD RAYLOR to the banner

• martoon

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

It is deathly quiet on the blog today!
    I like Harper but have noticed that one his weaknesses is although he is a good shot stopper he tends to push the ball back out into the middle of the box whereas the best keepers push the ball to the side. He normally gets away with it but it’s risky.

• Valci

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I see the bickering has dropped down after silly season. Ahh well…at least now we can have civilized debates around here.
    Anyways…it’s been crazy with work for me in the past 2 weeks so…anything i need to get up to speed with?

• cupiddstunt

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Biz @ # 4

The lack of ambition tag is a very difficult one to apply.

Shay left NUFC apparently because of apparent ambitions and look where he is now, almost from the moment he left what I see as the downward spiral commenced.

Also ambition is only a perception, Wor Al turning down manure to sign for and stay with his home town club for the rest of his career was that lack of ambition? 😉

I think Harper who is an Easington boy and a lifelong NUFC supporter actually fulfilled his ambition which was to be a keeper at “his” club.

Yes geographically he was closer to that other club, so could have gone there but common sense prevailed and the rest is on Wikipedia. 😉 😆

• cupiddstunt

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Biz @ # 4

I think the story about the duck hunter comes into play here.

The duck hunters pal see’s the career of Harper and see’s the “lack of swimming ability” as “lack of ambition” 😉

And then those that show their ambition are called traitors for leaving NUFC. 😉 😆

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Valci….The general topic has been injuries and whether we can cope this season.

Cupid…Sorry, I wasn’t really clear on my opinion. I personally think it’s about loyalty. As you say, he achieved his ambition playing for the toon. For some people unless you’re winning titles etc you lack ambition…oh and if you don’t spend £10-£15m on new players too 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Cupid…..Did you like the duck story (it’s actually meant to be a joke…apparently)? I was called a joke on here the other day and thought the idea behind the story/joke was fitting. But then, I am a joke, so who knows 🙂

• Nufc-83

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Simpson will always be one of the most consistent performers because he has such low standards to hit. If you compare Colo who has high standards yet achieves these in 95% of games then you can say in a positive manner that he is consistent.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I don’t see why Harps shouldn’t play on Monday…he can do the job no doubt about it 🙂

No need to rush Timmy; we don’t want another Colo incident!

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Ibiza

Take a hike, no-lifer!

• Ian Toon

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

My grandfather always said that Ronnie Simpson was the best. After leaving us he won a European Cup medal with Celtic. For me Shay
    was the best a superb shot stopper. He’s in my best Toon x1 but Tim could replace him.
    Ibiza- Loved your opening story of the dog and duck( sounds like a pub). Have you ever thought of running a positivity programme. It could be two weeks in length based in Ibiza. For the more emotionally doom and gloom attendees you could arrange for evening classes to further put a spark in them. Other therapeutic Sessions could be organised . It would need to be an on-going process for the real whinging miseries maybe even lifelong. You could help with property issues. Mind you why would you want to be surrounded by a bunch of pessimists. Back to the drawing board.

• cupiddstunt

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Biz @ # 18

I knew exactly what you meant, I have read enough of your threads to know you see the dog walking on the water. 😉

The history of NUFC in the last 50 years has proved to me that spending the big money does only one thing, and that is empty the bank account faster.

We have been through the spend the big bucks on the big names and it got us nowhere, I for one am happy with the current policy of not being taken to the cleaners every time we ask about a players availability.

Yes you make your choices and you suffer the consequences, BUT to have us crashing out before the consequences come to pass is solely the domain of the nagger, I for one will wait for the consequences before I don the sack cloth and ash and start beating my breast.

Some on here had us bust before a ball was kicked this season and I do believe that they are happy about the injury situation just so they can come on here and complain as it all appears to reinforce their doom and gloom.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Is Ibiza a good place for hiking 😀

…I always assumed you were an indoor person! lol

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Jesper…Agreed. If he’s not 100% I’d rather risk one game (if you feel so inclined to call it that) than risk Timmy being out longer.

TDS…..Any recommendations of where to hike? To be honest, I’m a little scared to leave my desk – it looks so bright out there 🙂

Ian…..Back to the drawing board indeed. Life is far too short, plus most people who live their lives in misery seem to insist on doing so and cannot be helped – well, maybe they can, but not by me 🙂

On Shay, I was gutted when he left. Alan Shearer and Shay are two of my all time favourite Newcastle players.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Jesper…I hear it is….Sorry, I read somewhere it is online 🙂 I do love the outdoors, but am far from an outdoors person (as in not much of a hiker, etc) 🙂

Cupid….With you 100% mate. It’s like betting against yourself – I just don’t get it. Sure, ascertain where you think there may be problems, but to live waiting for it to all go wrong – my my, what a way to live. Aren’t we supposed to enjoy football?

• toonincheek

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM

cupid –

Exactly.

You’re not such a stupid ****

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM

toonincheek making a tongue in cheek comment…well I never

• Valci

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Ibitza – is it just me or are you drawing in hostility from some of the other posters? what did you do this time ? 😛

• cupiddstunt

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Biz @ # 19

In my experience self depreciation is only practiced by those that are able to see things for what they are.

I missed that the other day but I will bet a pound to a penny that those calling you a joke are completely without the ability to see who is the real joke. 🙂

• Ian Toon

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Ibiza – Shay is a great guy I met him whilst on a stag do in Dublin a few years back.

• Nufc-83

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I think that it would be a small minority if any that would actually want an injury crisis. Its clear that we should have strengthened and the inability to do was always going to impact at some stage of the season, that is why everyone is so disappointed with how the window panned out.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Valci…..Where do I start? I’ve dared to post when no one else is about and not just one post, but multiple. Other than that, being positive when clearly everything is a nightmare everywhere we look. Apart from that, generally I don’t have an opinion of my own and can’t get my nose up others backsides anymore. Bad times, but I am seeking help.

Cupid….Well, life’s a bit of a joke really. I didn’t take it personally, just felt a little sad for the person who felt the need to only make that comment. Oh well, the joke continues…I mean life continues. 😉

• toonincheek

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM

cupid – @24

Not quite right.
    Big bucks doesn’t only empty the accounts quickly . . .
    it also buys you players who are committed to money rather than ambition, and – once they have signed their big bucks contract – they have nothing to worry about financially, so – no motivation.
    Maybe that’s an even bigger loss than the money.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Valci…Ibiza made a new friend yesterday 🙂 the new kid in class

• Ian Toon

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Ibiza – so it’s tongue in cheek rather than sarcasm that’s to the fore.

• Pushy Pardew

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Ian Toon
    How are you ? Hows the forensic study going?
    Our International players must have clocked up more air miles during the International break than any other teams.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Ian….I got him to sign my old Newcastle keeper top…great day 🙂 – Stag do in Dublin, bet that’s an experience and a half!

Nuf-83….Well, there definitely are some out there, as they’ve voiced it on here. I would hope, as you say, it’s a small minority, problem is it’s not small enough. For me, it’s clear we have and will continue to strengthen. I think the issue is that the board are willing to wait for the right player at the right price / conditions, whereas a fair few fans think it’s bordering on unforgivable to do so, whether that is to purely keep out current status (top 6) or to push on the next level. For now it’s pointless beating it to death. It will become clear whether it was / is a horrendous mistake or not as the season goes on. So far, we’ve had one bad result and that was against Villa imo. We’re not playing well yet, so I have every faith this season will prove another fantastic one for the toon army.

• Ian Toon

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Pushy- well we have Africans and a South Americans in the squad.
    Maybe Ashley will look to reduce their wages because they are getting frequent flyer miles. Shame though the treatment room is so busy .