Top New Newcastle Youngster Close To England U21 Cap

18 year-old Gael Bigirimana doesn’t know which country he should play for – either Burundi where he was born back in 1993, or England where he moved to as a refugee with his mother in 2004, after spending some time in Uganda.

Gael Bigirimana – already attracted Stuart Peace’s interest

And when we look at Gael’s record, and knowing how good he already looks at Newcastle, we’re just a bit surprised he hasn’t been capped at any England Youth level yet.

The Newcastle Journal is reporting today that Gael has been noticed by the England U21 manager and former Newcastle full-back Stuart Pearce, and if Gael is as good as he’s looking in Newcastle colors since he signed in July,  he cannot be far away from an England U21 cap.

The 18 year-old central midfielder says he was finally included in an Under-19 squad last year, but didn’t make his debut, but now he’s at such a prominent club as Newcastle, surely he’ll soon pick up a cap at some level for England soon.

This is what Gael told the Journal today:

“International football is a privilege and I would be honoured to play it. As long as I’m playing for one, moving forward and improving I don’t mind what nationality I will play for.”

“England is like my second home but it is difficult for me because I have two homes. England has grown in me and I have met so many fantastic people and mentors who are English.” “That does not mean I am saying I don’t
like Burundi.”

“That is where I was born, where I saw my first sunset. England is like another place where God has put me for a purpose.” “England has great young players but they just need to enjoy their football again.”

“It looks like there is a big pressure when players go to play for England. There’s no need for that, there shouldn’t be any pressure when you put on an England shirt.” “It is like a bonus for a player when you play for your country.”

“It is a bonus – it is like a holiday. But it looks like when English players go to play for their country that the whole world’s eyes are on them, so no wonder they sometimes struggle.” “Hopefully that will change and it will be enjoyable for them again.”

England scouts know Newcastle have a number of top young England players, and of course Sammy Ameobi received two caps last season before he damaged his knee in January, and was subsequently out for the season, otherwise Sammy could even have made the Great Britain side for the Olympics.

We’re sure Stuart Pearce was made aware of how good Gael looked when he came on against Aston Villa and looked so at home in the Premier League in Newcastle’s last game, where we fought back from being 1-0 down to force the draw.

And Gael comes across as supremely confident, and is not over-awed by the occasion as some England players seem to be, and he came into the game against Aston Villa, and for an 18 year-old he looked just great.

Gael could well be the pick of the bunch of four players to arrive in the summer, although 23 year-old Vurnon Anita is showing he is also some player already.

We didn’t get enough players in over the summer,  but the players we did get through the door all look excellent acquisitions – Frenchman Romain Amalfitano and Australian Curtis Good being the other two.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Markaccus

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Ninth

• Markaccus

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Does he already qualify for england u21. I thought residency was 3 years?

• Markaccus

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

How long was he at coventry?

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Why is this blog dead today? did I miss something?

• Lynxie

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

3 years? Brilliant. Colo for England…………

• Lynxie

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

How long has Shola been resident LOL

• Munster Mag

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Obvious answer with a name like Gael ….play for Ireland! Our useless manager Trapattoni will then slag him off in public, not play him, not phone him ( trap didnt own a mobile a couple of years back apparently) and generally make sh1t of his career…….

• AMEOBI

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Mark, Bigi has been in UK since 1993 year he was born, he joined coventry no older thank 16 so I’d say been at Coventry 3years

• bigmattyn

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM

AMEOBI, don’t say anything if you don’t know what you’re on about. He moved here in 2004. Did you not wonder why he has an accent in interviews if he moved here in 1993?!!

• bigmattyn

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM

AMEOBI, don’t say anything if you don’t know what you’re on about. He moved here in 2004. Did you not wonder why he has an african accent in interviews if he moved here in 1993?!!

• Markaccus

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Lol, yeah would be great if colo could play, but it doessnt count if you’ve already played for another country at senior level 😉

• numba9

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I like the look of roman amflitano has no fear and some flair, also an unknown quantity I’d play him in Europe

• Lynxie

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Markaccus:

Di Stefano played for 3 different countries, although that was back in the dark ages (it was still in black and white LOL)………

• Toon_Army

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I don’t make too many comments but I have to say this.

I don’t buy into the whole England Pressure Nonsense, sorry but it just makes non-sense, all England internationals bar none earn vast amounts of money from their clubs and image rights.

The pressure lies solely with how they perform for their clubs, aside from losing England International Status they don’t have anything to lose, and lets be candid about this, we are no Brazil so that status should certainly not wear heavy on them, as for the media well if they can’t handle that then they should not be playing for their clubs either, the likes of Beckham used to lap it up and perform consistently for England as did Shearer who just dam right ignored them and let his feet do the talking.

Rant over…

• HarryHarrison

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I could find out any information you want on Bigi, my cousin Scott Russell from Coventry is one of his best mates