New Signing So Versatile For Newcastle

After Vurnon Anita’s performance at right back against Aston Villa last time out, 51% of our readers already believe Vurnon is the best right back we have on the books.

Vurnon Anita – versatile performer for Newcastle

The Dutch International looked very comfortable in the full back position when he took over from Danny Simpson, after Danny had pulled a hamstring in the first half.

And of course he can play on either side, having played at left back for a full season under then mansger Martin Jol at Ajax a couple of years ago.

Vurnon is a versatile player and a good one too, and he’s likely to quickly become a top player at Newcastle.

This is what the 3 times capped Dutch International had to say today on the Newcastle web-site today:

“We’ve got two injuries on that side so if the manager needs me on that side I’ll do my best for the team,”  “It went well against Aston Villa. As a right-back you can come forward a lot, so I did that also and yes, I think it was a good performance.”

“In the second half against Aston Villa, we played much better than the first half. We worked hard and we scored a goal so we must take that spirit into the next game and do that from the start.”

“Central midfield is my position so the main focus is on the midfield – but if the manager needs me on the right side I can also play there.”  “I saw the highlights (of the Everton vs Man U game) and they were very aggressive. They played very well so we must be prepared.”

“I know two players that play there. I played with Steven Pienaar at Ajax – he was there when I made my debut.”  “And Johnny Heitinga, also from Ajax and the national team.”

“They are very good players so I know they have a good team and a very strong team.”  “It’s a good opponent to play against and we’re playing away so we must be prepared.”

“The great supporters, they keep cheering for us and that’s a great spirit which is good for us.”

It may be hard for Vurnon to nail down a starting spot in the middle of the park, became of the good form of Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye, but he does provide competition to those two  top players, although we expect Anita will soon become a starter at one of the full back positions, and probably right back.

Anita was named in the provisional squad for Holland’s World Cup qualifiers against Turkey and Hungary,  but missed out on the final cut, but if he continues to perform at Newcastle as he’s done so far this season, he should make the Dutch squad in the future, and travel with his team mate Tim Krul.

Here’s the results so far in our poll that Vurnon leads.

Who's The Best Right Back At Newcastle?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• New kingdom United

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Header created by reader Tony Anderson

PLEASE ADD RYAN TAYLOR TO THE BANNER

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I am sick of hearing people saying “add this player and that player to the banner” it does my head in. If you want to take time out of your life to create a better one then go ahead. The only way Ed is going to be able to please everyone is if he puts a squad photo on which I suggested the other day. Just relax, I am sure he does not have anything against Taylor (after all he scored against the scum 🙂 ) but it is his choice at the end of the day

• cupiddstunt

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Mindshaft from previous thread we are by all accounts £150 mil in debt so where do you get the £200 mil from.

• Marty-Toon

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Ryan Taylor can be added above the banner on the medics bench

• New kingdom United

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM

its not fair how does MR TAYLOR feel about this.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

You could miniaturise Raylor and have him sitting on Pardew’s shoulder. It would look very surreal …

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Erm, well if Ryan taylor himself comes on this very blog and asks to be put on then maybe Ed could look at it, but you can’t change it every week!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

If we don’t get RTaylor on the banner I’m leaving the blog 🙂

• Les Grossman

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Gone from Newcastle United Blog, to Twatful Banner Blog in the blink of an eye.
    Go grow some friggin turnips you muppets!!!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM

So, anything new today people?

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I want to see a picture of Shola holding the decapitated head of Martin (Prawn eyes) O’neil on derby day 🙂

• Super Magpie

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I disagree as Anita supposedly being our best right back.
    He played an hour there and Villa hardly attached down the Left.

Tbf he looks much more comfortable than Simpson when attacking but we haven’t really saw him defend yet. If we had brought in Debuchy for the extra €1m (absolutely disgraceful) then we would be fine.

• BelfastMagpie

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Add me to the banner,A picture of me smoking a cigar beside Pardew,would look great.

• Marty-Toon

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Back to football
    Anita seems to be a great buy,RB will do nicely until Simmo is fit again unless we need him in midfield .
    We have perch that can fill in either position too.
    Although I don’t rate Willo as well as our other defenders we will need his height against Felliani and Everton

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Oh yes, let’s all bend down in front of ye old great one Mathieu Debuchy as we all know he is a Premier League proven RB who would have undoubtedly won us the title…

What? what do you mean people are only claiming he is an excellent player based on 3 games in the Euros? Surely no sensible person would do such a thing?

Get off Simmo’s backs and stop whining. Debuchy didn’t come so let’s change the record and start supporting the lads eh?

• check the toastie

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Anita is better than Simpson at Right Back after one game by the poll, surprising as Simmo is so consistently average, thought thats what people liked on here.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Check

As someone rightly pointed out Anita is apparently the best RB based on one half there, in which he had to do no defending at all.

It wouldn’t have something to do with people’s hatred of him that Anita is leading the poll now would it? Of course that would be assuming that some of you aren’t narrow minded fools who would rather slate one of your own based on 50 odd mins of another player playing RB.

Ridiculous.

• Marty-Toon

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Super magpie
    But we didn’t buy Debuchy so we can’t look back even though we all think it’s a joke that we didn’t spend the lill extra.
    But Anita looked comfortable and as you say he’s got better quality goin forward.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Super Magpie….Completely agree there. There may be a few that have seen Anita play LB at Ajax, then fair play. However, it’s who is the best RB at Newcastle? – 60 minutes doesn’t really cut it. He may well be, you could even suggest an educated guess is that he is, but we can’t say he is as of yet.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Ruddy….Seems a couple of days away has left you too calm. Where’s the fighting spirit? 🙂

Super….Sorry, was catching up. I don’t completely agree. I don’t think we should have paid an extra £1m – if that is even what the figure is. I’m sure you know my thoughts on that issue

• Munster Mag

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Ruddy, he was good enough for Pardew to want badly by the look of it, but too expensive at 6-7mill for the fat man. The guy is a fine right back , an aggressive tackler , who would have added attacking balance to the right side of the pitch. At the end of the day, we came up badly short in terms of additional first team quality, but at least even the happies recognise that now. And so we move on to the next window, and hope that we will be a bit more ambitious.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Munster

Pardew wanted him for the team, but clearly GC and AP recognised that there was a price that was on his head as to how much the club was going to pay for him. Lille’s asking price exceeded that and therefore we did not cough it up. It is called good business.

Don’t call us the happies. We are disappointed that we didn’t bring in additional quality in terms of ready made players for the first team but we appreciate the sterling quality that we have coming through and prefer to take a more measure optimistic approach.

Once more, don’t call us happies.

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I don’t know if people are being sarcastic about Simpson, but he’s definitely overrated. Hopeless player. That’s why Man Utd and Blackburn didn’t keep him on their books.

Raylor is our 3rd best right-back behind Santon and Anita. The editor has made a mistake with his suggestions.

Also, Raylor should definitely be on the banner instead of Simpson. I’d also like to see Curtis Good replace Williamson.

• Super Magpie

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Ibiza

Still, the point was that Simpson should be starting RB regardless. Plus I don’t think Anita will be happy playing RB every game.

You can’t judge a player after 60mins.
    I bet you the people who said he should be sold after losing at Chelsea are the same people saying he’s our best RB.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Didn’t you say you’d stop posting?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Hi Munster….I responded to your post on the last thread. @21….”we came up badly short in terms of additional first team quality, but at least even the happies recognise that now. ” – Obviously I cannot speak for everyone included in the “happies” (in fact, I’m assuming I belong to that clique 🙂 ), so I will only speak for myself. I wanted new players in and we got some. I would have liked Debuchy and like to think he’d have been a success at Newcastle, he may still in fact. However, I do not feel we came up short, that’s my opinion on it anyway.

• Super Magpie

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Kets is back. 😆 😆

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Ruddy…I have to give Ed a chance to put RTaylor on the banner. Oh, are you not talking to me?

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

He should never have been purchased in the first place. We should’ve gone for better players like Bradley Orr etc.

Anita has to start at right-back in the next game with Santon on the left and Perch and Saylor in the centre.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Should we put Campbell in there instead of Shola as well? Abeid in for Cabaye?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Sorry Ibiza

How incredibly rude of me. Well I do agree that we should have Raylor on the banner but it is a little crowded at the minute.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Troll alert. Do not respond to him.

• Super Magpie

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Bradley Orr. 😆 😆 😆

You never fail do you…

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Crowded? How is that possible with such a thin squad as it is – give your head a shake young man 🙂

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Oh how foolish of me, on second look I have realised that the banner is full of nothing but pathetically inept youngsters who add absolutely no depth to the first team.

Thanks for the lesson Ibiza 😉

• Super Magpie

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Did anyone see Steve Wraith’s tweets yesterday…
    He reckons all is not well within the squad.

Sounds like BullSh*t, but you do have to hope this isn’t true.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Super Magpie

Think some people wanted to make clear that he goes out of his way to spout negativity about the club whenever he feels there is good reason to.

Would put some of the more negative posters on here to shame it would seem. The club’s official twitter denounced it as rubbish

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Abeid should replace, Sammi, Bigi, Amal or Obertan. Abeid is better than all of them at the moment.

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Abeid should be starting 15-20 games this season. From what I’ve seen, he has been the stand out player of the youngsters. He is also far better than Gosling.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Ruddy….You are most welcome. Please try and figure these things out for yourself though, I am really busy at the minute with all the horror surrounding our club. I have devised an elaborate master plan to remove Ashley from the club – it involves pulleys and Greggs pies.

1 2 3 9