The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Two Newcastle Internationals Come Through Matches Unscathed

9:04 am, Wednesday, September 12th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

While England were struggling last night at home to Ukraine and managed to come away only with a 1-1 draw, Yohan Cabaye and France were finding things a bit easier in Paris, as they beat Belarus 3-1 in a comfortable win, with Yohan again starting in the center of midfield for France.

Yohan Cabaye – played 75 minutes last night

France have now won both their first two qualifying games in Group I, winning their first game 1-0 against Finland last friday night, and they are top of their group, which also includes World and European Champions Spain.

All the goals in Paris last night came after the break, with Etienne Capoue and Christophe Jallet putting the hosts 2-0 up by 68 minutes, but then Anton Putilo pulled one back for Belarus before a late goal from Franck Ribery put a more respectable look on the score-line.

Cabaye played 75 minutes before being replaced by Blaise Matuidi, and he came off uninjured – which of course at this time is very important.

Northern Ireland came very close to getting a 1-0 win over Luxembourg in Belfast, through a 14th minute goal from Dean Shiels,  but an equalizer by Daniel Da Mota just three minutes from time put a damper on the night, and the Irish had to settle for just one point.

Shane Ferguson, who seems to be an automatic starter these days, played the first 74 minutes .

The Newcastle squad will all be able to train together, probably  starting tomorrow, but of course we have injuries to both Tim Krul and Fabricio Coloccini during the International break,  and both will likely miss the important game at Everton on Monday night.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Shane Ferguson · World Cup 2014 · Yohan Cabaye

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Thinking caps on people – what’s the negative slant on this one going to be? Only one I can come up with is that it wont teach Ashley a lesson – however, I feel we can do better than this.

• 2 Widowmaker // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Good morning, Ibiza,
    I think you are taking it slightly too serious, perhaps. Most fans complain because they care. Plastic fans don’t do that, obviously, they just go to find another team to support.

Try to take it positively.

• 3 Widowmaker // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Good morning, Ibiza,
    I think you are taking it slightly too serious, perhaps. Most fans complain because they care. Plastic fans don’t do that, obviously, they just go to find another team to cheer(not support)

Try to take it positively.

• 4 Widowmaker // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Sorry for the double posting. There were some bad connections.

• 5 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Widow….That is fair enough. Although, there really are some fans out there and this isn’t me saying they are any less a fan than positive ones, who seem to always find the negative in everything. It is them who that was aimed at.

Whilst I am generally positive, perhaps to some too much so, I have no problem with people venting their concerns etc. It is healthy, as long as we all have some perspective. Not always an easy ask :)

I have to laugh at your last line though, me, try to take it positively? Hope you can see why I find this amusing.

• 6 Pushy Pardew // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Ibiza
    Disclaimer all of comments passed are merely my opinions and should not be seen as me being in the know.
    Good Morning, i didnt plan to post so early but i was amazed that you had no recall on Wraith. He is a self publicist. In the Scottish dialect Wraith is a term for ghost or shadowy figure. Sums him up well he does tend to appear to create or add mischief. Usually to make life difficult for the Board and Manager. It seems to me that it’s as much to raise his own standing, with something commercial in mind. Promoting magazines or boxing events etc. He was massively discredited over the Andy Carroll transfer and text messages when the facts were revealed. I have seen him at SJP on a number of ocassions so he has not been banned by the club.

• 7 dave 1961 // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM

today will be interesting with the release of the Hillsborough papers, and a chance for the truth to finally come out, i personally were involved in many similar incidents at Hillsborough with the comical policing and an almost perilously designed death trap that was leppings lane end. this could have been us on many occasions as the sold tickets for the hole end then shut parts down for segregation. many times we had 12,000-15,000 in an area with an 8,000 capacity. when leaving it was down a narrow tunnel and into a small courtyard, and always the gates were locked and a crush occurred. i intend to observe a 2 minuets silence at 15:06. like i say this could have been our fans on many occasions.

• 8 Pushy Pardew // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Ibiza
    It was a shame last night that you, Jesper and IanToon were unable to take the converstion onto more interesting topics. After witnessing the repitition, there are only so many ways to say the same thing. You all gave up. I settled for the England game and suffered that way.
    Ian Toon
    How are you?
    Very interesting earlier post, guess you wanted to raise last night. Made the wrong choice and watched England game, good to learn YC played well because he is the key for us going forward. Your right that Everton outcome will not determine our season but a good performance will send us on our way.

• 9 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Pushy….Have I already got you feeling the need to put disclaimers with your posts :)

I am not a local, so perhaps have missed or just simply put Mr. Wraith out of mind. I tend to not hold on to rubbish…life is too difficult as it is.

Thanks for the info, that seems to be the general feel I have picked up though my trawling of last night. Whilst I am sure the board are not wonderful and I’m sure their sole aim is not just to benefit the club, I simply do not buy in to this doom and gloom they’re trying to ruin our club rubbish. For me, it just doesn’t add up.

We just always question. It’s a natural part of life and one of the best ways to progress, but as an outsider, you must also question the reasons behind someone’s questions.

Oh how I love human beings :)

• 10 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Dave….Good post mate. I shall have 16:06 alarmed (as I am in the future).

Pushy….It was a foolish idea, but I thought we may get some decent debate going on.

• 11 Pushy Pardew // Sep 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Ibiza
    A philosopher as well i can see why some on occasions
    call you the Spanish Prince. It’s a shame that aside from you the people most entertaining, interesting and informative are not on more often. Back to the grind.

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM

We should always question* Just? My my, might need another coffee :)

Pushy….As for a philosopher, not so sure about that, but i’ll take it over some of the other names thrown at me over the years :)

Have a happy day grinding.

• 13 lesh // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Ibiza, you want a negative slant on this?

How about Cabaye came back even more pi$$ed off than he was because the absence of Debuchy reminded him of the club’s lack of ambition in the last transfer window?

• 14 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Lesh….Beautiful. Now a positive slant if you would be so kind – we strive for perspective and differing views.

• 15 dave 1961 // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM

on another note i can remember watching a game against man u the crowd was 56,000 if i remember rightly i was a kid at the time, it rained all day, i was in the old scoreboard end and that day was bad for crushing, after the game my clothes were torn to threads, and i got wrong when i got home as it probably looked like i had been in a fight, but it was all down to the crushing, many who want a return to safe standing i would be against it simply because i have been in unsafe standing and i can remember older people that me crying through the crushing.

• 16 lesh // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM

A positive slant….. I’ll try but it’ll take a while to get of the seemingly prerequisite negative head for that a lot of posters seem to have adopted.

I’ll try though……… Debuchy didn’t play cos he didn’t want to pi$$ his best mate off?

• 17 lesh // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM

* get RID of the seemingly

• 18 lesh // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM

* let’s try again…..

I’ll try but it’ll take a while to get rid of the seemingly prerequisite negative head that a lot of posters seem to have adopted.

• 19 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Lesh…..That seemed to be a struggle :)

• 20 Widowmaker // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Ibiza, I know you are a positive fan and seem to be a decent lad too. I was just saying perhaps you could try to take some fan’s complains in a more positive way.

After all, they care the club no less than you and me.

• 21 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Remember last year at Goodison when Cabaye became the villain of the piece after that tempestuous ballboy incident and run in with Cahill., who I imagine is a fairly intimidating presence all fired up. I’m expecting a timely return to form. It really is only a matter of time.

Fellaini’s a bit of a concern though, very, very good all of a sudden I notice.

• 22 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Widow…I’ll take that over being a joke. I have touched on this topic recently. I think we could all tone down both the way we deliver our opinions and also the way we respond to others – not as easy task when it’s something we’re clearly all passionate about, but I will do my best

• 23 Munster Mag // Sep 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Good post Dave. Re Everton, I dont think we have a prayer unless we improve 50%, from what i have heard and read of the game, and from what I have seen on Everton.

previous post: England’s Late Equalizer Salvages 1-1 Draw Against Ukraine