Mark Lawrenson In Praise Of Newcastle – What?

BBC’s Mark Lawrenson hasn’t in the past been too kind to Newcastle, and usually if he thinks Newcastle will lose a game, that’s taken as a good omen by Newcastle supporters.

Mark Lawrenson – Newcastle should be around top six

Well, would you believe it, but in his predictions for the weekend Premier League  games, Mark seems even to have even praised the current Newcastle team, as he had this to say about the game on Monday night at Everton:

“This will be a good game. Both these teams will be up and around the top six come the end of the season.”

I know one or two Newcastle supporters have been highlighting the lack of signings but they have forgotten they have got some really good players there already.”

They have got a good team spirit and they attack teams. They have been really sensible in what they have been doing and are a real handful.”

You put all those Newcastle players up for sale and you look at the quality of clubs that come in for them.”

That’s almost a compliment about Newcastle by Mark, which is a little stunning, to say the least.

And more good news – his prediction is that Everton will win the game 2-1 – so that has to put us in with a good chance of winning. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Super Magpie

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Repost:

Ruddy

Frustrating isn’t it?

I don’t think any of us can understand why we play 4-4-2,but Pardew really needs to let go of his stubbornness, take the handcuffs off the players and let them play to their strengths.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Repost

Super Magpie

I agree with the premise, but Pardew sees some merits in 4-4-2, after all we got some great results last season playing 4-4-2. Most notably the spanking of Man U at home last season was a masterclass in how to play 4-4-2 properly.

But given how he says he wants to control the midfield then that would surely point to having a midfield three and bossing it from the centre which we haven’t seemed to do at all this season, but I am willing to wait and give AP a chance before criticising his tactical nous, he did win some sort of silly awards for being a half decent manager last season didn’t he? 😛

• Super Magpie

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Relegation is imminent. 😀

Atleast he actually shows some us respect these days.
    I’m pretty sure last year until around mid-April he had Wolves finishing above us in 9th in his overall table so far. 😆

• Super Magpie

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Ruddy

We’ll just have to wait and see Unfortunetly.
    If a team isn’t playing well then you need to change the tactics.
    Otherwise nothing changes and teams figure out how to play against you, which they have.

• toonLYF

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM

so…if you had to choose one of our current players to score Newcastle’s 1000th goal, who would it be and why?

i would choose Shola Ameobi as the interview of him when he’s a young’n and is talking about the honour it would be for him to follow in Shearer’s footsteps wearing the number 9 is amazing, and almost teat inducing. Shola is going to be remembered in our hearts no matter what, but i’d like atleast some sort of statistic tribute for his stunning effort as a Newcastle United player.

• Super Magpie

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM

ToonLYF

It would be fitting if Shola scored our 1,000th PL goal.
    As long as he scores another two on Monday as well. 😀

I think when he has his testimonial (which I’m pretty sure he will) he’ll get the number 9.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Of course Wor Shola will get a testimonial! 😀

What a true club legend, love the fella, maybe not the most technically gifted player at the club but he has stuck with us, he could have moved on at any time in his career, much like Harps but they have devoted themselves as squad players, sacrificing personal ambitions for the good of the club. Have to salute that dedication.

Super Magpie

I think the silver fox has an idea or two up his sleeve, he isn’t as stubborn as some people think he is, he just knows more about football than all of us put together so I’d back him before any of us armchair managers haha

• nufc7lad

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I’d rather have Loic Remy in our squad than Shola Ameobi. Head has the rule the heart

• Ian Toon

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You fit the formation to players available and the opposition. I would be surprised if we don’t play with 5 in midfield. It’s now around a month after Ramadanand and Ba/ Cisse will be firing on all cylinders. I am sure Pardew will not go into the game on Monday fixated with 4-4-2. Jonas could well play a DM role . Of interest tonight is that Sammy is in the squad for the reserve game. Also present are Good and Campbell. But still no Abeid ! MaybeAbeid he has a part to play on Monday – Pardew did allude to an untested presence he just didn’t say when. There could well be a surprise or two in selection so if Campbell only plays part of the game tonight he also might have a part to play on Monday.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM

It’s nice to hear a bit of praise coming from professionals, but I genuinely couldn’t give a fuck wen they slate us.

My team for everton would defintly have to be this.

Harper
    Anita saylor. Perchinio. Santon
    Cabaye bigi Jonas
    HBA. Cisse Ba

Couldn’t giv a shit about playing Ba on the left, he does a alright job there, and this formation is ace.

• FatmanJoe

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I hate how lawro and others say this like it’s a surprise. I don’t want a Mark of approval by the likes of him – he knows jack shit!

Makes me angry how these so called experts think they can swoop in with these headline hogging predictions like we should all be grateful.

Angry time over tho. It’s Friday and I have wine in my hand.

• DaveD1000

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Lawro what? we are doomed Pardew out

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Nufc7lad

Well I think most of us would but sure we have to make do with the players we have and appreciate them for the contributions that they make to the side.

• Super Magpie

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Ruddy

I don’t think all of us are saying we know better than pardew
    ( Actually some do 🙄 ). We just see what is better for the team…

Most people on here come and discuss a topic and for once everyone actually agrees on something. I’m sure the people who come on here go to the matches. And the ones who can’t go; like yourself, atleast watch the games and see what’s working and what isn’t.

Maybe Pardew will see this when he is in the stand on Monday. 🙂
    Actually, thinking about that. The ban is fair, but is pushing someone and getting fined £20,000 justifiable?

I know in football that’s nothing but it’s a bit over the top.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Super Magpie

Well in fairness, I don’t think Pardew would deliberately pick a formation worse for the team or a formation that would make it less likely to get a result due to his stubbornness.

I doubt that there are any fans who know what is better for the team given the fact that Pardew is the one who oversees training and is the one who knows more than any of us what works and what doesn’t and what formations suits what type of opponent so once more I am going to have to side with Pards on this one.

But as Pardew alluded to himself, being in the stand will give him a different perspective, maybe 4-4-2 just looks lovely from the sidelines and I am wrongly defending him haha! 😀

• Super Magpie

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Ruddy

I’m sure 4-5-1 would look even lovelier if we played 4-5-1. 😀
    Anyway I think we’ve more or less beaten the subject to death, I honestly can’t think of much more to say on it.

On a random note what is everyone’s predictions for the weekend? If there is anyone else here except me and Ruddy…

Arsenal 2-1 Southampton
    Aston Villa 2-1 Swansea
    Fulham 3-1 West Brom
    Man U 4-1 Wigan
    Norwich 1-1 West Ham
    QPR 0-2 Chelsa
    Stoke 1-2 Man City
    Mackems 1-0 Bindippers
    Reading 1-1 Spurs

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I read all sorts of punditry from lots of different sources, mainly about Newcastle, and the majority of it is pretty poorly informed. Lawro would be in the know about Liverpool and to a lesser degree Everton , but we’d all know heaps more about what’s going on at Newcastle than he would , same goes for the majority of football writers. He is right about the quality of the core of the 1st team, but that’s hardly any great insight.

• toonLYF

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Arsenal 3-0 Southampton
    Aston Villa 2-0 Swansea
    Fulham 1-1 West Brom
    Man U 2-0 Wigan
    Norwich 0-1 West Ham
    QPR 1-3 Chelsa
    Stoke 1-2 Man City
    Mackems 1-1 Liverpool
    Reading 2-2 Spurs
    Everton 1-2 Newcastle

• geordiemacc

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Mark lawrenson knows more about being an estranged chuckle brother than he does about Newcastle. All of his punditry is highlighted with smug comments and sly digs. Ultimately all he ever does, is agree with Alan hansen and say the opposite to Alan shearer.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Right chaps, off to watch the thick of it, catch you folks later!

• geordiemacc

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I also think shola should get the 1000th goal too. Granted he is far from being a prolific scorer but he is Newcastle through and through. He has bagged important goals when needed and never moaned about being a squad player. Aptly nicknamed “the mackem slayer” he gets my vote. Money can bring you talent in todays game but loyalty is rarer than rocking horse poo. And hes as loyal as they come.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Ir could be an own goal for all I care 🙂 . As long as we get something out of the game I’ll be happy

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM

It rather

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Big Pappa…It seems your negative positivity has broken the blog 🙂

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM

@ Ibiza

Didn’t know there was such a thing as negative posetivity 🙂 . I would rather it was a Ben Arfa beat the whole team kind of goal like but you can’t be picky as an NUFC supporter 😉

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Big Pappa…Neither did I, thanks for the education 😉

I demand brilliance from everyone or their heads will be placed on posts around SJP. 🙂

• AMEOBI

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Why do people continue of previous threads? Its a different subject focus on the same page.. So annoying comments make no sense!!

• leavemyarselona

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Areet ibiza hows ibiza haha.. Me and mate at work today have a discussion and got on about stevie harper what do you think of this apart from joe hart obviously england no1 now if harper put ambition instead of loyalty and played regular for another club do you think he would of been an england no 1

• leavemyarselona

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Do you think he may look back on his career when retired and thinks i could of been no1 england keeper before joe hart

• jimiley

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Pardew is manager of the year. Ashley is a business genius. We have not signed a few players because they believe we do not need them. Top 4 has to be a good bet.

• Super Magpie

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

AMEOBI

Is that a sly dig at me and Ruddy?
    It’s a blog to discuss NUFC and Football, accompanied with the odd topic here and there. 😀

Their is no rule that says you can’t discuss the same topic on the next thread. And if you look through I posted on the subject.
    So if my comments are ‘annoying’ 😆 , then don’t read them.

We were simply having a conversation about NUFC. Atleast I’m not Kets who posts the most irrelevant stuff out of nowhere. 😉

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:33 PM

@ Ameobi

Freedom of speech my friend, freedom of speech 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Leavemyarse….Whilst he is a good keeper, that is a real tough one to call as he’s never been able to show it consistently. I can’t think why not, since David Seaman only Joe Hart has really shown a command in between the England posts, so probably a good shout. Either way, he’s a decent bloke and has served us well, as a fan, I’m sure he’ll look back on his time with pride – I’d hope so anyway. I imagine he’ll become involved in a coaching role anyway and will continue to live NUFC for the remainder of his working days 🙂

Ameobi…I think it’s so we can continue whilst keeping up with any current topic. We tend to vary off topic anyway, does this bother you also? Should we only discuss what’s relevant to a particular article? Doubt that’ll happen anytime soon mate. What’s up, been a bad day?

Big Pappa….No. Just no. 😉

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

@ Ibiza

Awwww not fair. I wanna talk about Scharner some more 🙂

• TimKrulFan

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

So relegation it is then!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Big Pappa….Fear not, Scharner discussions are mandatory and nothing to do with free speech. What would you like to discuss on the fine man?

1) With him in the team, how many games in to the season would it be before we were crowned champions?
    2) Given his amazing clout, do you think we would be allowed straight in to the CL?
    3) Would teams even bother turning up knowing they were facing the mighty Scharner?
    4) How many goals would he score in his first season with us, 25, 35 or 50+?

Heck, let’s do them all….I never want it to end, even if he never comes to us….a man can dream 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

TimKrul…Yep. But we’re going to win Monday, so not all bad 🙂

• bollance

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

U21 team lost 1-0 vs southampton at home. We did not score for a change. Good played centre back and captained the team.

• weg

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Mark Lawrenson has been talking utter crap for at least 25 years! From his tripe on MOTD, through his codswallop on Football Focus, to his absolute drivel on live football! Even on pro evolution soccer you want to scream at him and his talking bollocks! (don’t imagine Lawro’s talking bollocks – its frightening!).
    Lets take solace in the fact that his predictions for the Toon are not very accurate, and look forward to whipping the toffeemen come monday!
    (And if he’s right, and they beat us…well, even a broken clock is right twice a day!)

• leavemyarselona

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Ibiza have had the likes of scott carson rob green.. He may look back and wonder what coul have been.. I remember good few years back when harper used to play odd game he was very good stand in.. Also although given was tremendous shot stopper and saved us from conceeding numerous times he also gave away a fair few goals IMO due to lack of commandment of the box and to was often seen before kick off applying evo stick to his boots possibly the reason why he never came off his line haha but he was brilliant as i say shot stopper