The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew Concentrating Only On The Positives

10:41 am, Saturday, September 15th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Alan Pardew is concentrating on the positives at the moment as he does have some players coming back from injury and it would seem that the two Ameobi brothers, Shane Ferguson, Haris Vuckic and James Perch will all be fit for the important and tough game at Goodison Park on Monday night.

Shane Ferguson – in action at Swansea last season

Sammy played the whole game for the Newcastle U21 side last night at Whitley Park, when we went down to our first defeat of the season by a score of 1-0 to Southampton.

Newcastle have a ton of games coming up, and 7 games in just 20 days starting next Monday night, and here’s the schedule of those games:

DateKO TimeTeamWhereCompResult
Sun Oct 2013:30SunderlandAwayPremier Drew 1-1
Thu Sep 2020:05Club BruggeHomeEuropa League Won 1-0
Sun Oct 2815:00WBAHomePremier Won 2-1
Sun Nov 416:00LiverpoolAwayPremier Drew 1-1
Thu Nov 818:00Club BruggeAwayPremier Drew 2-2
Sun Nov 1115:00West HamHomePremier Lost 1-0
Sat Nov 1715:00SwanseaHomePremier Lost 2-1

And Newcastle have 24 games between now and the end of the year, so the manager will need to use the squad wisely, but it’s also going to be tough with the injuries we have to players at the moment.

Ryan Taylor, Cheick Tiote, Danny Simpson, Tim Krul and Fabricio Coloccini are all out injured at the moment.

This is what Pardew told the local press this morning:

“We’re delighted that they are back.” “They are two players who will get their chance this season, and it’s a big season for everybody, not just those two.” “And the Europa League is going to be an opportunity for them.”

Haris Vuckic is also back from a slight injury, so that’s the positive news at the moment, to offset the injuries to Coloccini and Krul over the International break.

There’s something very unfair when our best players go away to play for their countries and come back crocked.

And we wonder if they are still paying Newcastle when players get injured on International duty – the various countries should pay for their medical costs to get them back to full fitness.

That’s the very least they should be doing.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Haris Vuckic · Injuries · James Perch · Newcastle News · Perchinho · Sammy Ameobi · Shane Ferguson

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 FatmanJoe // Sep 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Can see sammy giving us a well needed spark in Europe. Haris too. Looking at the schedule it’s not as bad as I first thought. Worst bit is facing united in the cup then playing reading as reading is a game we should be looking to win. I can see a second string against united and an early exit.

• 2 Tsunki // Sep 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Having said that, CooI remember Fat Freddie got the FA to pay for Owen’s injury, I agree that International teams have an overriding call but should pay for the damage on their watch. I wonder what it is they are doing in international training that does this! Having said that, Colo was obviously nursing an injury from pre-season. I understand his desire to get back in the Argentina national fold, but perhaps NUFC should have called him out on this one.

• 3 bollance // Sep 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Does anyone know pards win ratio as manager of nufc?

Very important he maintains this in this period. It will be very difficult which is why this season will be very hard for him.

We all need to realise this and not call for his head when things don’t go to plan. Pards has proven to me he is the man for the job so I will stick by him

• 4 jesperfuglsang // Sep 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The problem is that no one should be playing for their country if they are not 100% fit – is has been a huge problen in DK as well.

Is the biggest achivement for any player to represent his country, but it is not always without problems.

The Nationalteam does not always take the precussions they should and the player wants to play :-)

In the end their salary is paid by their club and fans want to see them play.

• 5 FatmanJoe // Sep 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Here here bollance.

Does anyone know what happened to indian?

Miss his posts.

• 6 jesperfuglsang // Sep 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Bollance…agree :-) Pardew is working within the means he has and he has done a great job.

Every season has its ups and downs and this one will too…

Pardew is just human like everyone else, but he needs to work on his stubborness and learn to kill his darling :-)

Besiides that I am a huge Pardew fan and I am not too proud to admit that he wasn’t my first. choice :-)

Just goes to show what I know ;-) lol

• 7 Tsunki // Sep 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

FMJ – I think Indian gave up because he was getting stick for his constant first posts and generally rubbish remarks. He was a bit of a toerag and I fell out with him big style once but I still would rather see him post than be bullied off.

Jesper – its precautions by the way, not being spellcheck monitor just helping you along with your excellent English :)

On a positive note, early injuries to our big stars may work out for us 2nd half of the season – we may have a torrid time to start, but the plus is our development crew will be accelerated to first team, and when our injured return, with some of the cup comps out of the way and the league to concentrate on, we could see a sprint finish up the table at the beginning of 2013. Chins up!

• 8 Magpie from Lithuania // Sep 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Please help, i can’t find any confirmation about Vuckic being fit.

• 9 FatmanJoe // Sep 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Harps
    Perch saylor Williamson santon
    Anita bigi
    Hba cabaye obertan
    Ba

I’m a bit bored so thought I’d do my lineup for Monday. Pretty strong I reckon but means dropping cisse which I don’t think Pards will do.

• 10 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Harps
    Anita Saylor Willo Santon

Cabs Bigi Jonas

Benny Boy Cisse Ba

Although I’m expecting Pards to send them out in a 442 but also Willo to have a strong game as part of a physically commanding centre back pairing. Should be a tough, exciting game. Great!

• 11 jesperfuglsang // Sep 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Tsunki…no offense taken there mate ;-) I am on my phone and when I use the keyboard there is no spellcheck…so I do quick guess ;-) lol

…doesn’t always come out right though :-)

• 12 LewSpi // Sep 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Jawballs

Absolutely agree with that team, very strong.

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Sep 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I’ve got no problems at all with Willo being back up on Monday night as I think he can do a good job when called upon,what I’m still pi$sed off at is the fact thst because a 5M investment wasn’t made its looking like he will have to play on Mon,Thurs and Sunday after the
    efforts of fans players and manager last season I think we deserve more.

• 14 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM

JFA – That’s exactly how I feel and despite my best efforts to move on I just can’t seem to do it.

I’ve basically been having the same moan in a daily post for over a week now and fully expect to find myself typing out another tomorrow. I’m hoping a spirited showing at Goodison might get me over it.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Sep 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Jaws,
    Nowt like a good win to lift the spirits,just hoping this policy we’re adopting is part of a well thought out plan rather than just making it up as we go along which was the case when Mashley first took over.

• 16 cockneymagpie90 // Sep 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM

4231, 451, 433 is the way to go for Pards…

line up vs everton

Harper
    Anita-Saylor-Perch-Santon
    Bigi-Guti
    Barfa-Cabaye-Marvo
    Ba/Cisse

Prrsonally id rotate the 2 Dembas as they cant work together upfront. We have enough games to play this season and both can get their fair share upfront on their own bangin in the goals.

I can go into massive detail of why their partnership isnt working but i am going to save my time but if the 2 Dembas play in the next game alongside eachother i will actually go mental. U cant have 2 goalscorers on the pitch that both want to score goals!!!! It doesnt work and never will.

U need chalk and cheese up there, 1 thats not greedy, holds up play, big and strong or creative minded with bags of skill that can feed the GOALSCORER. The other needs to be infront of goal at all times with a great finish to score the goals that he is being fed.

Ba plays in a CF, LW position yet still plays like a striker. I would much rather someone with pace, skill and technical ability to create chances for the target man such as Marvo, Ober and Amalfitano.

Dont get me wrong i love Pardew as much as the next Geordie but his tactical awareness baffles me at times.

Come on Pardew do the right thing for the team!!!

• 17 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Well, I think he does have a plan and generally I support it, but on this occasion I think he may have stubbornly stuck too rigidly to it. In my more dark moments I go so far as thinking it’s negligent and can’t help but take it personally. I’m also aware that my anxiety for the Toon to continue to do well might be clouding my judgement a little. Anyway, it’s certainly taking a risk at a critical time. It’s alright for him, but really care!

• 18 Tsunki // Sep 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I agree its time Pardew stopped trying to keep everyone happy and rotated the dembas. Ba in his current position kind of impedes progress really, he slows down the left side when he is on the wing, and interfers with Cisse when he roves in naturally as striker. Also impacts on Cabs because it pushes him back, and even to a certain extent HBA who is miles better at being a behind-the-striker striker if you know what I mean.

• 19 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I just can’t see how you can leave a player of either quality out, they’re both excellent and if Pardew can figure out how to make it really work, it becomes a truly unsettling prospect for opposing defences.

• 20 Tsunki // Sep 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Plus I am beginning to think that the Dembas don’t so much get in each others way so much as hang back for each other, hence why neither of them are usually in the right position forward enough when we do get a rare ball into the box.

• 21 Tsunki // Sep 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Jawballs – evidently pards is having the same dilemma! Jesper calls it ‘killing your darlings’ and pards needs a bit of steel to go with what needs to be done. Tricky, and I wouldn’t want it to go wrong on me, but….

• 22 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I just want Pardew to try dropping one of them for 1 game at the least just to see how we do. After the European championships allot of teams are flooding the midfield trying to emmulate Spain or Barcelona. I have always said that I have no problem in us playing 4-4-2 so long as the other tean is aswell. When other teams play 5 in the middle it effectively takes Ba & Cisse out of the game as they don’t get enough service IMO.

Its not as if they dont get chances. I reckon Cisse could have had 3 goals this season. Went close against Spurs,missed a sitter of a header at Chelsea and should have scored against Villa. Ba should definitely scored against Chelsea to add to his one against Tottenham, so who knows maybe we just arent getting the breaks we did last season in front of goal ?

• 23 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Yeah, it’s a good turn of phrase but I expect Pardew will stick to guns after so few games.

I do see the appeal of one up top and I’d like to see Marveaux given his chance. It might take an injury to force his hand, then again the more they play together the greater the chance they’ll start to gel.

If he drops one it’s likely to be Ba and that is a big call and not necessarily the right one of course.

previous post: We’ll Attempt A Victory At Everton – But It’s Very Difficult