Pardew – Ben Arfa’s Still A Maverick – That’s The Beauty Of Him

Newcastle’s best player in each of the first three league games of the season has undoubtedly been Hatem Ben Arfa,, and the French International has two great goals to show for it too.

Hatem Ben Arfa – a maverick loved by the Newcastle fans

Alan Pardew was the one who signed Ben Arfa to a full time contract at Newcastle, and he did that even though the Frenchman was still recovering from that terrible double fracture of his left leg,  in January of last year.

But that signing – rumored to be anything from £2M to £5M from Marseilles – has turned out to be another stellar signing by the Magpies, with Ben Arfa looking as good as he ever has,  in his career.

This is what the Newcastle boss told the Sunday Sun today:

“One of the first things I did when I got here was sign Hatem on a permanent contract, and the reason I did that was his goal at Everton two years ago because it was so special. I saw it on television and that was when he really caught the eye.”

“When you have a player who can produce something like that, you know there will be more to come.” “Hatem is very focused and single-minded about being a professional footballer. A lot of players could learn from him in terms of that.”

“He is still a maverick. That’s the beauty of him. You never quite know what he’s going do because he gives an X-factor to your team.” “I have only had three or four players in my time as a manager with that level of ability, so I was keen to work with him. He is our probably our best player at the moment.”

“It would be nice to get the odd tap-in from him. He’ll probably head it if it’s on the goal-line. He is a great player and really is bang in form.” “Hatem is brave. You underestimate footballers in terms of them putting their limbs on the line.” “That injury he sustained will probably reveal itself in some form later on in his life.”

“But he still takes people on, and the way he beats them makes players lunge at him, so he is liable for these type of injuries.” “You have to manage every player slightly differently, if I’m honest. Experience sometimes helps. I’m not sure whether I would have coped quite as well as I have with him when I first started my managerial career.”

“I’ve had some very good players such as Carlos Tevez, Javier Mascherano, Teddy Sheringham, Bobby Zamora – and Hatem is right up there on top.” “He will never shy from the ball. Never, never, never. For games such as Aston Villa at home, when things are going against us, he is going to go and get you out of trouble.”

“Not only did he get us a point, he could have won us all three.”

Ben Arfa’s had many problems in his career with authority, and they have been more than well documented, and the press had a field day when France lost 2-0 to Sweden in the European Championships, and reported an argument between the Newcastle winger and the then France manager Laurent Blanc in the dressing room.

But there’s been none of that from Ben Arfa at Newcastle, and it hasn’t got in the way of Newcastle supporters just loving this kid, and the fact he’s a maverick makes their passion for him even stronger.

He’s a terrific player for Newcastle, but we may need him to score another humdinger at Goodison Park on Monday night,  if Newcastle are going to get anything at all out of this game.

We wouldn’t put it past the 13 times capped French International to do just that.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• cupiddstunt

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I thought he was mercirial

• cupiddstunt

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Sod it mercurial

• tarie4

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I think every team needs a maverick of some sorts, not the Carlos tevez type but more of the gazza type. One who bleeds football, but also does some strange things, that make U just shake ur head. They help build team spirit and they have that never say die attitude. I see a bit of gazza in this lad. U can see he wants to impress, he is determined and never gives up.

All hail king arfa

• AMEOBI

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM

That post is bang on.. That post alone has made my day, massive smile on that one Ed cheers!

• cupiddstunt

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM

He certainly is a player of some quality and long may he stay on tyneside

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM

EPL Player of the Year 2012/13

• cupiddstunt

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

tarie4 @ # 3

Yep get what you mean about the Gascoigne parallel, I can bits of both players, just grateful HBA is muslim as that keeps him of the juice. 😆 😆

• Magpie from Lithuania

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM

He is better than Messi or Ronaldo for me. Won’t change him even for both of them.

• check the toastie

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Would like to see him playing in behind Cisse in a free role, 4231, for me all the way,

Everton Team that would take 3 points, if Harper plays well, big IF.

Harper
    Santon Saylor Perch Jonas
    Anita Cabaye
    Obertan Ben10 Marveaux
    Cisse/Ba

Would put Obertan down the right to give Baines something to think about, on the break we would be lethal, however we do lack Physical Presence in the middle of the park without Mr T, however plenty of ability, come on Pardew take the brakes off man.

Benny is class and shouldnt be concerned with tracking back helping full backs, its not were you want to see the lad, Sir Bobby would have let him play.

• Magpie from Lithuania

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Ben Arfa 2012-2013 EPL stats:

16 goals, 12 assists.

• tarie4

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM

cupiddstunt

Hahahahahaha… Right you are, right you are… If we somehow manage to get cabaye, BA, tiote, Cisse and this lad firing on all cylinders we will be up there in the chase for fourth I believe.

I am expecting a big performance tomorrow. I wudnt be surprised if we leave with all 3 points. Its just so pardew’s Newcastle that haha

• tarie4

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM

check the toastie

Probably be perch at right back, Saylor and Williamson at CB and santon at lb

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM

A 41212 would definately be our best bet!
    Harper
    Santon Saylor Perch/Willo Jonas
    Tiote/Anita
    Cabaye Anita/Bigi
    Benny
    Ba Cisse

• mindshaft

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM

As long as he’s not like Gazza off the pitch, HBA does drink but much like all foreign players drinks in moderation – its only the British players who roll out of nightclubs pissed out their skulls at 3 in the morning

• mindshaft

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM

As long as he’s not like Gazza off the pitch, HBA does drink but much like all foreign players drinks in moderation – its only the British players who roll out of nightclubs out their skulls at 3 in the morning

• FootballPsycho

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I personally feel that our best formation is a 4-2-1-2-1; even when everyone’s fit (just for now replace Coloccini with Perch and Tiote with Jonas):

Harper
    Anita Saylor Coloccini Santon
    Tiote Bigirimana
    Cabaye
    HBA Ba
    Cisse

That way both Ba AND Ben Arfa get free roles behind Cisse up top; so Ba can go in the middle AND can do a job for us out wide too; same for HBA. And Cabaye can do his job playing balls forward from a little bit deep but still further than the central pair of jonas/tiote when fit and bigi; so this lineup is fluid (more so than a 4-3-3) AND still has defensive strength in anita and santon down the flanks and a very strong defensive core.

• FootballPsycho

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM

What do you guys think?

• hazzy

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM

@mindshaft
    I doubt Ben Arfa does drink as he’s a devout Muslim it’s totally forbidden for him to do so

• hazzy

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM

@mindshaft
    I doubt Ben Arfa does drink as he’s a devout Muslim

• hazzy

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:53 AM

@mindshaft
    I doubt Ben Arfa does drink as he’s a muslim

• hazzy

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM

hmmm just realised when it says comment failed it actually means keep posting and look like a tool