Vurnon Anita Likes Newcastle – Willing To Play Anywhere

Newcastle have signed a really top class player in Vurnon Anita, and he seems to have settled very quickly at Newcastle and last time out looked a very good right back, when he deputized in that position after Danny Simpson sustained a hamstring injury.

Vurnon Anita – can play in many positions for Newcastle

We knew the 23 year-old was versatile before he arrived on Tyneside and he played a full season under Martin Jol at left back and then last season played a full season in defensive midfielder for Frank de Boer, and it helps when you are a two footed player and can play on either side.

So Vurnon is already looking a good buy at just £6.7M, and the fact that he’s sop versatile will help him to get many games this season in the Newcastle shirt, which is one of his main aims for the season.

Anita was interviewed in the Sunday Sun today, and this is some of what the Dutchman had to say:

“My preferred position is central midfield, sitting just in front of the defense.” “I stared in midfield at Ajax, but when Martin Jol was manager I played left-back.” “I made it to the Dutch national team in that position, so I can play there as well as right-back.”

“I am comfortable playing on the left and right.” “That happens in Dutch football. Most players can play in three different positions.” “Centre-half? I actually played there for Ajax when Marco van Basten was coach.” “I enjoyed it, but at Ajax there is a lot of passing the ball and playing football in a certain way, so it is different to here.”

“I think I am too small at 5ft 6in to play in central defence for Newcastle in the Premier League.” “However, the trainer can put me where he needs me, and I will do my best for the team. I want to play in as many games as I can.” “The football here is much faster.”

“You need to use more strength, it is a higher level to Holland.” “I am enjoying being here and I see it as an opportunity to improve myself.” “I like living in Newcastle. Amsterdam is more crowded and it is a little bit more still here.”

“The weather, so far has been OK, but we have snow and rain in Holland so I know about that. It does not bother me.”

We think we;’ll see Vurnon continue at right back tomorrow night, if Alan Pardew elects to play 18 year-old Gael Bigirimana in defensive midfield, but there’s also James perch who can also play in midfield and at either full back position, so it will be interesting to see what team Pardew selects for what is an important fourth league game of the season tomorrow night at Goodison park.

A win would be fantastic and lift the spirits of Newcastle fans, but it’s going to be very tough.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Ed isn’t this an old article? I swear I have read something very similar ti this one earlier on…(maybe I read it somewhere else…hmm) 😉

• cupiddstunt

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Ed slow it down a little, I’m struggling to keep up 😆

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Who’s hoping Reading will beat Spurs’ sorry ass today? 😀

• check the toastie

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM

The lad still has a lot to prove, but has made a good start, personally would play him CM with Cabaye, should be our link man between defence and attack, a bit like Jo Allen, Perch should play RB for me.

• check the toastie

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Magpies – repost to your thinking of Perch.

Magpies – Perch has done OK when coming on as sub and closing games down against such powerhouses as Norwich and Villa at home. When he has started games as a centre midfielder the team has functioned poorly, anybody who says it is his best position, for me doesnt understand the game.

I challenge anybody on the blog to name a game were we played well when Perch started CM. He should start games in defence only, his presence in midfield will hold back proper CM’s such as Abeid, Bigi and Anita.

• Wor Shearer

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM

It’s good to know he’s used to snow and rain, now let’s see how he deals with the wind, he’s only little!

• solano

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM

From Previous thread and reference to post 2

cupiddstunt // Sep 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I think we are going to struggle to repeat last season’s position but I feel we will not be too far short and that to me is an improvement

With that logic, I think you’re struggling! 😉

• bollance

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but full back seems to be a position that can be filled in by many different player. Thinking solely about nufc in recent time, including reserves, we have had

Fergie – winger
    Donaldson – att mid / st
    Richardson – winger / mid
    Guti – winger
    Saylor – cb
    Moyo – winger
    Tiote (vs Chelsea in carling cup at Stamford bridge) defensive mid

There are probably more examples. I was thinking that tiote gives Simo excellent cover playing in the whole in front of Simo and saylor. if memory serves me right tiote came on at right back against Chelsea in carling cup and almost instantly got booked when we famously won.

The point is that it is an easier position to cover as players like even Guti can do a job there. However, never in a million years could I see Guti doing a job at centre back. Even gosling played right back for everton and looked good there, yes unbelievable but true.

Did we really need another right back? I believe we will get one, a specialist, another gem but when the price is right.

• Graeme

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Anita’s best position, without doubt, is alongside Tiote. He is a superb passer of the ball as well as being able to tackle. He will allow Cabaye to play in front of a solid mid-two, comfortable in front of the back-four.

Cabaye then sits at the base of a four man diamond, with Benny, Marvey out wide and EITHER Ba or Cisse up front. This will release our creativity in attack and provide a strong platform in defense.

We just need Tiote back to his majestic best to make it work!!

• bills-son

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Was it catchy who said Anita was rubbish and would soon show us how bad he was? Whoever it was is in the same league as solano as far as accuracy of predictions go.

• solano

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Bills…my cuckold troll…and mackem donkey lover 🙂

• bollance

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Check

For me perch is very good at a few things which make him a solid player or squad player if u like.

Passing – very positive, always trying a forward pass and with good pace and accuracy. Look out for this in the future. Against spurs he did not misplace a pass all game.

Tackling – very good timing and fearless. Puts his body on the line for the team.

Playing it simple – contradicts the first point about passing in a way. He knows he is not going to accurately send a 60 yard inch perfect pass to our winger so he doesn’t. He knows him limitations.

I have said this a lot but I watched perch’s debut vs psv in a friendly and he was awful at right back. Even though against us at home for forest he was excellent against Guti.

Really admire the guy for coming back because he was hated by the fans. Shows he is a strong character.

• bollance

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Check

You may actually be right. We have signed 2 defensive midfield players in the window which is probably as good as saying perch is not good enough to cover dm.

• Super Magpie

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Bills Son

I Don’t know but the people who were saying Anita was awful and should never have been bought after losing at Chelsea were the same people who sad he was fantastic against Villa.

It’s amazing how fickle minded some people are. Also Catchy never really has much positive to say when I’ve saw him post so it wouldn’t surprise me.

• bollance

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Bills-son

Agree completely. I remember. Think it was after Chelsea game someone was slating Anita, unfairly. He played two games in 72 hours and one abroad in that space of time.

The guy is international class and can even cover several positions. He will probably be playing 40+ positions this season providing he stays fit.

Considering the number of games we will play this season for me he is already proving to be a clever bit of business.

• Super Magpie

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I see Perch as 3rd choice CB. He is better than Williamson and can do a job at RB/LB and DM if needed.

I wouldn’t say his passing is great. He keeps it simple which is what he should be doing. Nevertheless, he has really came back strongly since last year. I remember when we were winning 2-1 at Stoke last year and Perch came. Everyone thought that was it and they would score again.

We won 3-1. 😀

He was great against Spurs and did not look out of place. Is he still injured? I Thought he would be back by now.

• Super Magpie

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Perch came on*.

• dave 1961

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Vurnon Anita is a classy player and withing a couple of seasons will be an important member of the team he brings more to the team than his size would suggest. a bargain yet again.

• bills-son

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Super Mag @ 14, you are right about the fickle fans. Mind, at least they jump on the positive bandwagon when things are going well. Unlike solano – the blogs no1 doom and gloom merchant – who disappears when things are going well only to surface again when there is a whiff on negativity around.

• Super Magpie

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Bills-Son

Atleast Solano sticks to his own opinion, it may not be correct in some eyes, it might in others.
    Personally I think Solano is a bit negative but atleast backs up his opinion. You and I may not agree with him at times but a lot on here post absolute crap and can’t back it up with a reason.

Those are the people who annoy me.

• bollance

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Just read Anita has played centre back too. What a guy. I would suggest, like he says, he is happy to play where ever needed. May be our right back for the foreseeable future which will keep some fans happy.

If Anita played right back instead of Simo who would the fans turn on then?

• bollance

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM

‘fans’

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM

If reading win 2day, Liverpool back in the relegation zone Haha! Welcome to the Brendan Rodgers revolution!! 🙂

• check the toastie

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

magpies – given time Rodgers will prove to be a smashing manager at liverpool me thinks, he plays the game as it should be played and with some decent talent at his disposal liverpool will be fine, just like to finish with hope it doesnt happen though.

• bollance

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM

For every team that is doing well this season there is a team doing not so well. I am neither happy nor sad with our start to the season.

Villa did well yesterday at home I one of the form teams this season. They turned the corner against us. Maybe they will start to do well again? Houlier did a lot a lot of damage though!

Lots of pressure on Rodgers and avb. Could be the first managers to get the sack.

Liverpool will b pacient with Rodgers as he has a get out of jail free card because they did not get him the striker he needed / wanted. Avb however has no excuses.

• Super Magpie

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Check

I think they’ll struggle without a goalscorer tbh. They have 2 strikers and none of them are an out and out striker.

It showed against the mackems yesterday ( who for the 3rd game in a row have scraped a point), they completely dominated the game but had nobody who could finish their chances.

They’ll finish no higher than 8th IMO.

• bollance

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM

In my opinion stability is the key to success. When we got relegated we had about 3-4 managers in the relegation season.

Having pardew on a long contract with a long term plan we are building for the future rather then concentrating on being successful in the short term. Ave age of the 4 signings we made in the summer was 21 with the oldest player signed at 23 years old. In the past 4 windows the oldest players we have signed have been 25-26 (Cisse, Ba, Elliot).

• bollance

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Super

Exactly, they create lots of chances but don’t have that player to finish things off. Suarez scored a lot for Ajax and looks good in the final 3rd but in the prem scores 1 in 3 which aint great.

• putra_hayzad

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Play 3 sttiker we need more attacking jonas can play center and anita right back cause he quick and can hold pienaar fellaini is to tall for him perch and jonas can take care of him

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Check
    Really cant see liverpool Doind much to be honest, they have no goalscorers til january and i dont think rodgers realy knows how to utilise the players he has, as shearer pointed out joe allen is just a frustrating footballer and never looks to get the ball forward so why not bring on sahin? Borini doesnt work on the wing so why not bring on downing or Assaidi? They look gutless up top and under rodgers i cant see it changing, hes never had to build his own team before

• hoppernufc

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Liverpool is a club on a downward spiral I don’t see them as a top 7 team anymore they live in past and need to realise there no longer a top team, on another note not only can Anita player basically any position he’s also quite a good rapper, what a guy!

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Check… @5

Press interview after Norwich win…last season.

Perch slotted into a defensive midfield role, and is happy to do a job in the engine room in the absence of the injured Cheik Tiote.

He said: “(Pardew) looks at me as a defensive midfielder so I am like a centre-half playing in midfield just in front of the centre-halves.

“He asked me to put in tackles and said ‘go and put your head where it hurts and put your body on the line’ and that’s what I’ll do every game.

“I just like to play in a team that won. I don’t look too much at my personal performance but the main things was seeing the team won and we got the three points. It makes it easier for the lads in the dressing room.

“Playmaker? I don’t know about that. I’ll give it to Cabaye and Jonas to do all that stuff.”

Perchnino is perfectly capable as DCM I agree it depends on who he is playing with though as, sure, he is limited playmaking. When he has had a bad game the whole side was poor… so just attributing it to Perch is overstating your case.

Pards uses him as a defensive utility player…so he’ll be squad backup for the best starting 11. I’m still unsure of him as CB though a lot of posters on here think he is okay there…again depends who he is paired with. Short passes fine, penetrating through balls not really

His commitment in the tackle is great, he works hard, and looks to distrubute forward, if not very far. Not bad as a backup DCM. I agree that Bigi will take over that role soon.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Remember Liverpoo have major financial problems. Wasted shedfuls of money on the new ground project…. and £25m on AC. Trading position when FFP comes will be much worse than us… I like Brendan but their only real world class player is in his twilight years and ain’t adapting. He has held them together for years and they need a new midfield general. Jury is still out on whether poor confidence will pull them down the table but they are not playing well yet this season..

• iqs786

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM

pardew shud let marvy play mor often

• iqs786

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM

anitaz a very useful player

• cupiddstunt

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Toonarmydownsouth @ # 30

Inclined to agree with that opinion that Rodgers has not really done a team build.

In my opinion Roberto Martinez started the passing game at Swansea which was continued by Sousa and Rodgers just inherited the passing team.

Yes I like the fact that he kept the swans passing game going but it started to lack a bit of as cutting edge under him and I can see slitherpool going the same way to be honest.

As pointed out Joe Allen is a Rodgers signing, and he is really quite neutral to defensive as a midfielder, he is one for the stats posters on here he has great stats as a passer but few of those passes go forwards and even less of those are killer passes, so appears to flatter to deceive.

• Whos_SuperMac

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Things are very quiet round here at the moment…. If you have twitter have a look at @WankersFullKit for a bit of a laugh.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Allen is a poor mans Pirlo

• FootballPsycho

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Repost:

I personally feel that our best formation is a 4-2-1-2-1; even when everyone’s fit (just for now replace Coloccini with Perch and Tiote with Jonas):

Harper
    Anita Saylor Coloccini Santon
    Tiote Bigirimana
    Cabaye
    HBA Ba
    Cisse

That way both Ba AND Ben Arfa get free roles behind Cisse up top; so Ba can go in the middle AND can do a job for us out wide too; same for HBA. And Cabaye can do his job playing balls forward from a little bit deep but still further than the central pair of jonas/tiote when fit and bigi; so this lineup is fluid (more so than a 4-3-3) AND still has defensive strength in anita and santon down the flanks and a very strong defensive core.

What does everyone think of this?

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I think Allen is a decent player, but very much someone who needs good, creative players alongside him as he’s unlikely to play many great passes through defences.

He’s a massive improvement over Henderson.