The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Hatem Ben Arfa – He Can Do Everything

1:27 pm, Monday, September 17th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 224 Comments

James Perch, the former Nottingham Forest captain, has a chance of starting the game tonight at Goodison Park for the Magpies, in three different positions, at center-back, right back or in defensive midfield, such is the versatility of the Mansfield-born player.

James Perch - could get a start tonight

The more we think about the team Alan Pardew will put out tonight at Goodison Park, the more we think he’ll find a place for the reliable and solid Perchinho, and he could even shade Mike Williamson to start at center-back.

But maybe the best team is to start Mike in place of Colo, James in place of Cheick Tiote, and keep Vurnon Anita at right back, where he looked very good last time out, and maybe Gael Bigirimana will only make the bench tonight.

The one result we don’t really want to night is a defeat as Newcastle fans are not exactly in good spirits right now.

This is what Perchinho said in the local press today:

“Colo will be a big miss if he doesn’t play – he’s a big player – but we’ve got players who can fill in. We know how important this game is. Everton are a good team – we played them on the last day of the season.” “They have started well this year, but we know what we can do.”

“We have players who can score goals.” “My injury was one to the neck I got during the Atromitos game – I think it was a bruised joint. It has settled down now, so I am OK.” “When you see the injuries we’ve got already, it looks bad.”

“The main thing is to keep fit.” “Everyone’s going to be needed. We can’t afford for any other players to be out injured.” “We had a few days off over the weekend, and came back in and trained well. I’m ready for selection, if needed.”

“Fellaini’s a good player – you saw what he did against Manchester United. He ripped them to bits.” “They have other players, it is not just him. Pienaar on the the left wing is quality. Baines is at left-back, his deliveries are unbelievable.”

“We cannot be too focused on one individual.” “We know they are a good, hard-working team, and that is what we will be focused on.” “I played when Hatem scored that great goal. Hopefully, he does it again.”

“We know if we keep it tight at the back, then we’ve got the likes of Hatem, Demba, Papiss and Cabs – Yohan Cabaye. “Hatem’s goal that day was unbelievable. He rocketed that shot in. He has done it since.”

“He can do it with his right foot, as you saw against Villa. He can run from the halfway line – he can do everything.”

Certainly all eyes tonight will be on Hatem Ben Arfa, whose first ever goal for Newcastle was a beauty two years ago (18th September to be exact) at Goodison Park, when he rifled the ball in with his left foot and gave American goalkeeper Tim Howard no chance at all.

But it was only a couple of weeks later that he sustained the double fracture of his lower left leg at Manchester City, and was out for the rest of that season.

Ben Arfa scoring his first ever Newcastle goal two years ago

But the 25 year-old came back in great style this year, and the Frenchman nailed down a first team starting position on the right wing, and this lad can score at any time, and those words from Perchinho about the lad – he can do everything – says it all really.

And of course we’re hoping the French International can rifle one in tonight.

We’ll take anything but a defeat tonight, but want to see a good and determined performance from our lads, no matter what the result.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Hatem Ben Arfa · Injuries · James Perch · Newcastle News

224 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM

This season he will be one of the best players in the league.

• 2 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM

“he can do everything.”

No sh*t Sherlock :) , gotta love Perch like

• 3 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM

So what are the topics of the day?

Gosling not cutting the mustard and Pardew’s tactical ineptitude?

Are these topics on top of people talking about how we’re going to get beat tonight? Got to love how positive some people are.

Gosling is a decent player, hasn’t replicated pre-season form yet but he has shown that he is capable, perhaps a loan move would do him well but we need to keep the squad together for the time being, January will let us know who can go out on loan and who is part of the first team.

As far as Pardew is concerned I am willing to back that guy 100%, even if he sticks with 4-4-2, as we got some great results with that formation last season. I can’t say I understand him sticking with it but perhaps he just wants the Senegalese boys to fire together, if it continues to misfire then I can see him adapting a different formation, the issue is whether we can be patient with the manager who got us 5th and won Manager of the Year. I know I can :P

And tonight’s game? Well if we come away with a point I’d be very happy, I’d have said that even if we had no injuries, but I always back our lads to do well and with HBA in the team anything is possible.

• 4 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I don’t think the rest of the league realize just how good a player Ben Arfa is. Imagine if say Hazard scored the goal that Benny score against Bolton, you would not hear the end of it for weeks and it would no doubt be goal of the season. In some ways I prefer it that he goes slightly un-noticed at NUFC but if he carries on the way he has started this season I fear he might be on of the Premier League’s best players and start getting tapped up by the big boys

• 5 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Big Pappa

Let’s hope that the club can grow to match his ambition, if he really wants to play CL football then I am sure that AP is putting a hand on his shoulder and say, why not get us CL football at a club whose fans adore you and who he seemingly adores.

He does seem to love this club, perhaps due to the warm wishes he got when he broke his leg and the roar he gets from the fans every time he is on the ball, but if ultimately a “bigger” team comes in for him then it will be for mega-bucks, but for me he is priceless.

• 6 check the toastie // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Big Pappa – i agree Ben10 doesnt seem to get the headlines, bit baffling really, its the same mentality that only sees players who play for Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool generally called up for England.

Southern based press cant get their heads out their arse.

• 7 check the toastie // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Just like to add Perchinho is class.

• 8 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

You talk about finishing 5th last season as if it was a Pardew master-class! It wasn’t. We have a very good squad with solid players. Most of our fans underestimate our players and overestimate Pardew’s ability and tactics. We could’ve finished 4th last season if it weren’t for Pardews stupid decision to change the 433 to 442. And the only reason he did that was to make Ba happy.

• 9 Hatem // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Just want to thank Ed again for the sterling work he does on this blog day in day out, even with the many stresses of everyday life, you’re a hero to me for the work you do on here. As for the Everton game, looks tough, but its not all doom and gloom. Yes our defence looks weak, but our attack is still pretty good and i’m hoping we can edge it.

• 10 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Ruddy…it has not been easy today :( whenever you try to put a possitive spin on it someone finds something to criticize…I have even found myself sucomb for a short moment…lol

• 11 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Ashton

I find your point of view baffling to say the least. So you’re saying Pardew had no part to play in us finishing 5th? So much so that he actually cost us 4th place? Are you being serious?

• 12 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Jesper

It can be ever so slightly maddening at times, I admire how you persevere so stoically, and with such poise and grace :P

Ever find that babysitter? haha

• 13 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I just hope tonight we 1. don’t get hammered and 2. give a good account of ourselves. I am playing 5-a side tonight so I will miss the first half but I hope when I get back home we are leading 1-0 or still playing a draw. I would definitely take 1-1 draw like as it will be tough

• 14 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Ruddy…we are working on it mate ;)

…do I hear the sound of my favorite trio in the back (Barry, Marvin and Otis;)) just kidding… lol

So what have you done to Ibiza? Haven’t seen him all weekend (well I haven’t been on much either)

• 15 Mo Drysdale // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM

———————————-Harper———————————

———————Willo——————–Taylor——————-

Anita————————-Perchino———————-Santon

Jonas————-Cabaye————-Ben Arfa——Marveaux-

———————————–Ba————————————-

1. Need a 5 in midfield
    2. Ben Arfa free rain to roam and support the striker
    3. Tell Ba he is being subbed at half time with Cisse so give 100% work rate for 45

• 16 Hatem // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

So you think Pards let us down by getting 5th place, and we should have got fourth. No wonder the rest of the country see’s us as deluded.

• 17 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Now where did I say that? My point is; our squad has (had the ability last season) to finish 5th and it wasn’t such a miracle to do that. Pardew had a role of course but it wasn’t as major as you think.We could’ve finished higher but he changed our 433 formation in our last three games in favor of the 442. I think we could’ve got something against Man city and Everton if we stuck with the 433 but we(he) didn’t.

• 18 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Jesper

Haven’t been on this weekend at all, sometimes the negativity can just be too much and the small exiles are required to keep us all sane! haha

Well I “heard it on the grapevine” that he is kipping in his office as he pimped out his home for 30 pieces of silver :P

• 19 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Big Pappa…is that in- or outdoor? London?

• 20 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM

If Ben Arfa carries on playing and scoring goals like he has done so far this year, It will not only be Krul under the spotlights of the likes of Barca and Real !

Come January we will not only have problems with clubs sniffing around Krul but Hatem wil be at risk too!

Still wanting himto play a blinder this evening, however !

• 21 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I rate Pardew very highly and have only really questioned him on

1. Playing Raylor over Ben Arfa last season
    2. Some of his substitutions are questionable
    3. Playing 4-4-2 against opposition that are playing a 5 man midfield

On formations I thought that Pardew would have recognized that number 3 does not work. Every game this season the other team has played with 1 striker and packed the midfield against us playing 4-4-2. Then Pardew shifts Ba out to the left hand side, we start to look allot better and get a grip of the game. Surely Pardew must see this and either tell Ba that if he wants to start every game he needs to play slightly out wide or drop one of the Demba’s and replace them with Marveaux and rotate them.

• 22 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Hatem

You have a small club mentality and no ambition. We could’ve definitely finished 4th last season.

• 23 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Ruddy…he did pimp out his house that dirty property pimp ;D haha (I called him that the other day)

• 24 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM

@ Jesper

Its outdoor in Newcastle m8, we are in a league and our team name is Papiss Cisse’s 5 Goats :)

• 25 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Ashton

The implication was pretty clear that you rate Pardew’s contribution very lowly in terms of what we achieved, the people who dole out the awards for Manager of the Year tended to disagree with you and I disagree too.

We gave a very good account of ourselves against City, the game was won when Mancini took de Jong on and played Yaya a little higher, they were by far the better team, even if we played 4-3-3 they more than likely would have beat us and Everton at Goodison is a very hard place to go, as will be proved tonight (not doubting that we can get something) but to blame the formation as the sole reason we got nothing against City and Everton last season is a bit over the top, given how we were spanked by Wigan playing 4-3-3

4-3-3 isn’t without its shortcomings too you know?

• 26 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Ashton i find it odd that you have such a low opinion of Pardew. You do praise the quality of the squad though. Remind me again who was it that bought Ba Cisse Cabaye Santon.

• 27 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Big Pappa…nice name :D lol

…we don’t do much five a side here in DK sadly; I knew they did alot of it in London so I thought…

I like it ’cause it’s more technical and i am a flair player myself (or I were in my younger days…hi I am not even that old ;))

• 28 Nufc-83 // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM

On gosling:
    * Sep 17 – 1:40 PM
    For me i can live with young players making mistakes and even letting games pass them by as this is all part of developing your game but at a top prem club i expect to see some good attributes being displayed. Vuckic has a bullet of a left foot and great size bigi great tackler and good range of passing amaf has great technical ability on the ball. Gosling has displayed no stand out attributes and is generally poor in all areas so i cant live with his mistakes etc.

• 29 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Nufc-83…Gosling has a very physical presence and being the box to box midfielder he is he is actually quite good at being in the box when needed imo :)

…is that attributes enough for you ;D

• 30 Hatem // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I’l admit that I prefer it when we play 433, but there were games when we played 433 and got turned over. City won the league this year and both games against them we gave them a run for their money. We could of finished 4th, but at the beginning of the season you would probably of been happy with 8th, I know I would of been. This isn’t my small club mentality this is because we had just been promoted and let 3 of our most high profile players go. Therefore I was extremely happy with 5th.

• 31 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

We only played 20 minutes against Wigan with the 433.

Also I hate it when people bring out the fact that Pardew won the Manager of the Year award and thus implying that he should be immune to any sort of questioning and criticism. “b-b-but he won the best manager award!! so it’s okay for him to do whatever he wants”

• 32 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I have posted this before but I feel it will be the best formation to get Ba & Cisse firing together.

———————-Krul———————-

–Debuchy—-Taylor——-Collocini—-Santon-

——Tiote———-Cabaye———Anita——

———————-HBA———————-

————-Cisse————-Ba————–

Obviously for width we need attacking fullbacks so Debuchy would be ideal in January. When they bomb forward Anita & Tiote can cover them with Cabaye allowed to run the Midfield spraying passes. Also Ba & Cisse’s problem this season is that there is no link between the midfield and striker force. Playing Ben Arfa in the hole will give us that link with his dazzling runs and reverse passes and should see the Demba’s scoring allot more.

• 33 Hatem // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Thats my ideal formation too, as Jonas could slot nicely into CM if any of the three were injured.

• 34 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM

It says a lot about a man’s mentality when after finishing 5th in their second season up in the Premier League there are people questioning the manager because we didn’t finish 4th.

There is simply no reasoning with some people and it is infuriating, but I will continue to back the lads and the manager regardless of the somewhat unreasonable expectations from some fans.

I suppose that is being elitist too?

• 35 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Ashton, nobody is beyond criticism but managers are paid to make decisions, So yes when it comes to tactics formations team selections he has to be allowed to do whatever he wants.

• 36 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

@ Jesper

Yeah I prefer playing 5-a side as well. I play Attacking fullback in 11v11 kinda like Santon for us however I very rarely get a sight of goal. In 5-a side I can defend and score goals so its a win win situation :)

• 37 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Ashton

Your initial point is beyond sense and reason, Man City have great players, but to say that winning the league was pretty much all down to the players and Mancini had only a small role to play would put you in line for ridicule, so the same should apply with our own club.

If the manager’s job is so negligible then why do clubs even appoint managers? And it annoys you that people point to the fact he won Manager of the Year? Well I don’t care if it annoys you, it’s the truth, his management style has been recognised by those outside the club, it’s about time you recognise it too.

You remind me of a certain faction of fans who were glad SBR got sacked, you don’t know what you have until it is gone so it is better to appreciate it while you still have it.

• 38 bollance // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Ruddy

Agreed. I am happy with what we have achieved and where we are now especially compared to where we were even a few seasons.

Rome was not built in a day..

• 39 geordieracer1980 // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Ashton – We won many games when we played 4-4-2 last season. Chelsea away being one. Man Utd at home another.

With the team and personnel we have, we can switch between the two systems very easily mid-match.

Pardew isn’t immune from criticism, no one is. But the stark reality is he has been brilliant for Newcastle. The form we saw from Ben Arfa towards the end of last season and this season is down to Pardew’s man-management. He eked performances from squad players like Perch, Ryan Taylor and Danny Guthrie that no other manager has done.

So before you criticise, jsut remember how soon it is since we were in the Championship. And as someone else mentioned, we lost 3 of our most influential players last summer, not to mention Andy Carroll the previous January. If you had told any Newcastle fan this time last year that we would’ve finished 5th and be back in Europe, you would’ve been locked up!

• 40 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Bollance

The rise of our club since relegation has been nothing short of meteoric, and with such a drastic rise in fortunes we need to instil some stability, which may necessitate consolidating what we have achieved. I think we can still finish anywhere from 4th-7th, I don’t see us finishing any lower than that and for me that would be a very good season.

• 41 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Right lads we seem to be being too positive and certain people could use this as the “clique mentality” ganging up against the negative person.

Suffice to say that Ashton has an opinion that we disagree with, we’ve all had our say and got our points across.

I don’t wish to fall out with you Ashton, I just simply 100% wholeheartedly disagree with you. You are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled mine, neither of us are going to budge so let’s leave it at that shall we?

• 42 Burni // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Ruddy, you do know people are entitled to a different opinion to you yeah?

dont get me wrong i dont like being negative too much but realistically, after the average start to the season, the lack of additional players, the tonking we got off everton last season at theirs, the huge amounts of injuries (most in the epl), the fact that pardew seems to be trying to force a 442 when a 433 which we saw at wba away swansea away worked so well, the fact that the team dont seem to have found their feet this year, people are not going to look at positives because there are very few.

I agree that there are going to be ups and downs and that we have only had a few games but I dont believe that the youngsters are going to perform bar one or two. I dont feel the same vibe as i did from the team last season. trust me I was maybe overly positive like all the blog police who slam other peoples opinions for being slightly negative (or what I like to call realistic) last season but I for one am not happy. Im not gonna call for pardews head, im not gonna slate ashley but I am gonna err on the side of caution and hopefully you and everyone else who thinks everything is hunky dory can understand that people may think differently to how you do?

• 43 Hatem // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

There’s no falling out on this blog haha

• 44 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Burni

I didn’t read after your initial sentence, quite condescending given how I actually said just that in the previous comment. Just wish people would stop viewing me as some sort of Opinion Fascist.

• 45 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

After reading on down, blog police? My God, this seriously has to stop

• 46 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM

tequilamag

Graham Carr

• 47 Burni // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM

so stop forcing your opinions on other people.

I know people are gonna differ with how they feel but the way you come across is extremely forceful and dare i say it, quite arrogant at times

• 48 Burni // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM

serious question for anyone who is still here.

can you name the youngsters that you feel will come good this season?

I would say ferguson (given he gets playing time)
    bigi defo
    and maybe abeid

I dont see any of the others coming through to the point where it will benefit us as much as pardew says

• 49 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Ashton. Graham Carr has done an amazing job I agree. But his job is to scout players not make the decision on who to buy. As far as I am aware he has no role on team selection or tactics. We are not exactly taking the league by storm this year but losing one game in five is hardly a crisis.

• 50 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Burni. For me Ferguson is the pick of the young players coming through. But I would add Sameobi and Vuckic as another two from the best set of youngsters we have had for many years.

• 51 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I used to like Pardew up until he showed how gutless he was toward the end of the season. You all know that we played much better football playing 433 and the only reason Pardew changed that formation which works best for the type of players we have was because of Ba. He was unhappy not playing as the main striker and he made sure to show that. And you all remember how he blatantly refused to shake Pardew’s hand after being replaced. After that incident Pardew changed the formation and compromised finishing 4th just to make Ba happy. That was a mistake and he is sticking with it which is costing us and will cost us more in the long run.

• 52 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Burni

Now who is trying to police the way others come across?

Did you not read the comment in which I was saying that we shouldn’t gang up on him because of differing opinions or did you just glance right over that, seriously get off whatever power trip you’re on and get back to talking about football.

• 53 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM

tequilamag

Without Ben Arfa’s brilliance and innovation I’m sure we would’ve lost all three games. You can’t count on him to save our arse every time.

• 54 Burni // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM

tequila, there have been a few games where vuckic has looked ok, but none where I felt like he will do well in the epl….. maybe the wrong type of example but look how sterling has done for liverpoo the kids 17 or something….. I know not every player can be top notch but I dont see many of ours even coming close to that level.

I kind of agree ashton, however, we dont know that for certain, it definitely seemed that way but we cant be sure

• 55 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Ashton, So you thought Pardew was a good manager ? Strange. you were making the point earlier that it was down to the players that we finished 5th and that Pardews role was overrated.

• 56 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Also in all three games we played this season we got dominated in midfield and the opposition team had more and better chances than us.

• 57 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

tequilamag

You clearly don’t know what overrated means. Pardew had a role and I’m not denying that. But it wasn’t all down to Pardew’s brilliant mastery that we finished 5th but most fans think it was.

• 58 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

@ashton

erm pards picks every team win or lose we never lost 4th we gained 5th and i doubt any other manager would have done better with the team that came up from the championship with the hiccups we used to have.
    we can not say its houghtons team anymore as those players are mostly gone the team now is built from pards/carr and ashley so credit goes to them i’m afraid unless you think nolan/barton/carroll and co would have finished higher ?

@ruddy
    thank god someone has pointed out the negativity on these blogs lately i was allmost about to check google if they had changed the term “supporter to unsupportive”

• 59 Toonboy_84 // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Has anyone on here liked “black and white army” on Facebook?

Got a cracking deal from betfair on there. Basically free money :)

• 60 Toonboy_84 // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

For tonight’s game that is. NO LOSE!

• 61 Burni // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

wow, ruddy, power trip? again differing opinion…

• 62 Zebras4Life // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM

So pumped for the match!

• 63 bills-son // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Got a feeling Tiote will play tonight. I also think Shola might have a part to play in the last 20 minutes.

Everton aren’t invincible as West Brom proved and srely Ba and especially Cisse are due a good game as is Cabaye. As Perchinio says, if these three and HBA hit form we’ve got a good chance.

• 64 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Ashton

I don’t think anyone says it was “all Pardew” or “all down to the players” but take a reasoned approach that it was a combination of the two. Pardew brought these players in playing his way of football and seemed to man manage certain players exceptionally well, on top of that our players played incredibly well which ensured we finished 5th.

It is down to the quality of our side and the brilliance of our manager that we finished 5th, not one or the other.

Croftus

Sometimes it does overwhelm you, some people prefer negativity and call the people that are trying to be positive “bullies” or “blog police” which is just attempts to devalue the opinions of people who disagree, they are levelling accusations at us that are actually more applicable to them, it’s ridiculous.

• 65 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM

croftus5678

You just have small club mentality. Montpellier finished 13th the season before wining the title. So it doesn’t matter as long as you have good players. We do and we could’ve finished 4th last season.

• 66 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Burni

I re-read my comments and failed to see anywhere where I was forcing my opinions on anyone, I am beginning to accept that some people will accuse me of being arrogant, that to me is just a differing opinion as many others don’t see that.

If you don’t like my comments scroll past them, if you disagree with them say so, but don’t try and tell me how I should and should not comment as you are being hypocritical with the “blog police” comment.

Much love, Peace out.

• 67 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Ashton. So were you wrong when you liked Pardew or are you wrong now when you slate him.

• 68 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Ok so people slate me as forcing my opinions on people yet Ashton gets away with stating that certain people have “small club mentality”?

Where do you get off thinking you can tell people what mentality they have? Some people have the “slow steady progress” mentality, but who are you to tell them that’s the wrong mentality to have? I accept that you have a differing, more negative mentality but I won’t tell you it’s the wrong one to have I will simply try and convince you with reason that there are other perspectives to consider.

Am I the only one seeing this? Or have I just gone bloody mad!?

• 69 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Just forget about that. How about you telling me why Pardew is sticking with 442? Don’t you think it has to do with Ba and how Pardew is afraid to upset him by playing him out wide? The manager should place the team above an individual player and he isn’t.

• 70 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Ashton

I think you are making the assumption that that is the reason that he is sticking with 4-4-2. It may be a factor that he is considering but not necessarily the whole reason.

He played 4-4-2 long before there ever was the Cisse/Ba dilemma so how do you explain his reasoning for playing 4-4-2 then if it wasn’t to keep Ba happy?

I think Pardew actually happens to value 4-4-2, I think it may be his more favoured formation, and that is a point of preference for Pardew, he can pick whatever formation he wants, I happen to agree with you that 4-3-3 or even a 4-5-1 would be more beneficial but I am simply willing to back our manager’s decision regarding it.

• 71 Burni // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM

bills is shola not injured still?

• 72 Burni // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM

ruddy you can back our managers decision but when we arent performing as we did with a different formation at the end of last season you have to see why some people may not be too happy with pardews insistence?

• 73 Toonboy_84 // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Nobody interested in free money then? No catch. Check out black and white army on Facebook. The deal is exclusively for them. You make 10ltr quid if ya bet loses and 135 if TOON win. Check it out.

I have no ties to these people, just passing on a good deal to fellow mags.

• 74 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

tequilamag

I don’t like Pardew’s decision and reasoning to play 442. It’s not working and the only reason he is sticking with it is because he doesn’t want to make Ba feel sad about himself by playing on the left. He wants it(442) to work out so bad but it isn’t and instead of realizing that fact and changing the formation he is sticking to his guns in that regard and it’s costing us.

• 75 Toonboy_84 // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Ltr was meant to say quid

• 76 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Burni

I just agreed with Ashton that I think 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 would be better formations to play, I accept that some people may criticise formations if they think they aren’t good enough, and may even question the manager for picking this formation.

All I am saying is that it is unfair to totally dismiss the importance of our manager in getting us to where we were last season, and that with 4-4-2, even though it has its limitations, we achieved many great results with it and as a result Pardew rates it highly.

The only problem people seem to have with 4-4-2 is that our midfield has been overrun and that our strikers haven’t been firing. Well when Cabaye and Tiote are up to speed again they won’t be overrun as they showed time and time again last season, and it is only a matter of time before Cisse gets going again.

There are alternative formations to choose but 4-4-2 can still work in certain games.

• 77 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

@aston

well ye we could have finished 4th but…we could also have finished 10th like most of us were expecting.
    are you saying we are a big club now after just coming up from the championship and finishing low in the prem ? or are you now thinking we are a big club because we finished 5th but could have finished 4th ? and kept all our good players when in truth from reading this blog daily 95% of fans inc myself expected some of our great players to leave and imo we signed a brilliant player in anita.
    i’m dont have small club ambitions i’m just realistic aswell as positive! no team wins every game and based on money = other clubs /position ect ect we did great we lost some iyo we could have won but i think we won some we should have lost or drawn aswell.
    if i or you put a staring 11 up on here for tonights game there would be people who would say no this player should be in this position and in this formation ect ect but its only commented on that its a bad decision when we lose all those we won in that formation was a good choice !

• 78 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Of course the 442 worked for us in the past and before cisse and Ba. The reason for that is the type of player we had back then which are big center forwards with great hold up plays and heading ability like Carroll, Best and to some extent Shola.

Before Cisse, Ba used to play behind Best and he strived on the knock downs and long balls aimed at Best. We can’t make this tactic work because we don’t have the right players for it.

• 79 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Ashton, its along season and I am pretty sure there will be times when he opts for 433. To suggest Pardew is “gutless” for playing 442 just seems perverse. Nobody here has the all the info on who is playing well in training or who is carrying knocks. I have faith that Pardew makes these calls on a game by game basis and on balance he gets those decisions right more often than he gets it wrong. Really think you need to take a longer term view. Presumably when we were flying last year you thought Pardew was good. A few average performances and all of a sudden Pardew is hopeless. I just dont get why are so down on the man. No doubt 3 wins on the bounce and you will think he is great again.

• 80 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Ashton
    Pardew wont be playing that formation to keep one player happy why would he? He hasnt put up with anyone throwing paddys at the club so why ba? Makes no sense, bit like pardew had very little influence on us finishing 5th

Burni
    No offense mate but your giving ruddy a fcuk of alot of stick for reasoning his opinions whike ashton just insults any whos disagreeing with them or accuses them of having a small club mentality and a lack of ambition, which is possibly the dumbest saying among fans

• 81 Robby Bobson // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Perch as extra protection in CM alongside jonas n yohan and keep anita at right back. Anita is a better right back than perch and from.what ive seen of anita.perch is a better destroyer than anita in CM (i said better destroyer not a better CM before people throw a hissy.)

• 82 Burni // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I think pardew showed some actual genius last season which is why i believe we ended up where we did, but I feel I have to agree with ashton. It does feel like pardew is jeapordising the teams results for ba…… i mean we could be completely wrong but it sure does seem that way

• 83 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Are both of you willing to accept that Pardew’s willingness to play 4-4-2 may have absolutely nothing to do with him wanting to keep Ba happy?

• 84 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

tequilamag

I hope so from the bottom of my heart that Pardew would prove me wrong and make the 442 work. But I doubt it and most of you seem to agree with me in a sense that 433 is a better formation for us than the 442 so most of you doubt it too but you are just content with it because “Pardew won the manager of the year!!!!”

• 85 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Ashton

That’s not exactly why we’re content, we’re content because he gets results. With the players we have it would seem that other formations are more suitable but won’t simply jump to snap judgements about the manager’s ability given all that he has achieved at the club.

• 86 Nufc-83 // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Jesper gosling is about as physical as a wet fart. Getting into the box for me doesnt warrant him staying at newcastle.

• 87 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Ashton I am content to let Pardew make those calls because he has earned the right based on what he has achieved last season. Whats the alternative?should he be sacked ? Do you really want to go back to the days when we used to get rid of managers a few games into the season?

• 88 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

toonarmydownsouth

Are you telling me that you didn’t notice Ba’s body language and how miserable he was playing out wide? or how he refused to shake Pardew’s hand and going straight down the tunnel after being replaced.

• 89 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Opinions Apart:

We are all supporting the same Team here !

Sometimes i do wonder epecially when people start name calling !

At 60:

Your calling this game tonight “No Lose”! Well winning at Goodison is no foregone conclusion, but to demand it and to start putting pressure on the lads to win may well see us losing ! A draw would be nice, but the fact is, that it could go either way !

But even if we do lose, it would not have me panicking or screaming Doom on here !
    My prediction is 1-2 with a Cabaye free kick in the last minute!

This is,nt going to be an easy game but i am hoping we will just edge it!

• 90 rainrix // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Control of a game is something we lacked last season and do this season from what i’ve seen all players being fit i’d play this

Krul
    Simpson – Colo – Saylor – Santon
    Tiote Anita
    HBA Cabaye Jonas/Ba
    Cisse

This formation is arguably our best and is hella flexible. If we are losing control Drop Cabaye into the holding role with anita and tiote and go 451. If we are in the ascendency then push everyone forward and have anita and tiote as cover incase of a counter. And its easy enough to experiment with a 4-4-2 or some other formation if we need some innovation.

• 91 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM

we kinda dont pick the team so we can not change it so we have to accept it.
    who would you chose as lone striker as ba has been in a lot better form than cisse in pre season with cisse missing good chances and ba allways battleing and getting involved in the game by coming back to get the ball ?

• 92 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM

tequilamag

If we keep playing like crap and keep getting dominated in the next 5 games I won’t be the only one calling for such an action. But I hope for the sake of our club and Pardew’s future to ditch the 442 and start playing 433.

• 93 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Ashton

Anyone calling for Pardew’s sacking even if we lose the next 5 games cannot call themselves a fan.

• 94 Robby Bobson // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Pardew should play IMO as it gets the best out of our three best players…hba, yohan and cisse.

But he aint doing it to keep Ba happy, this is the man who dropped hba for 6 months!

Ever since the Wigan game where we got ripped apart hes preferred the 442, i remember him sayin we’ll get back to basics. Remember as well we beat man utd 3-0 and chelsea 2-0 and went for 10 games unbeaten with 442. Thats why he goes for 442!!

• 95 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Agreed Ruddy ! @93

• 96 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Ashton
    You mean that once about 10 games before the end of the season? He had a sh1t game and has openly admitted he was frustrated all olayers get frustrated i mean ffs last time at goodison cabs pushed a ball boy over!

• 97 Robby Bobson // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM

That should say 433 imo

• 98 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Ashton so after a 5th place finish and some of the best football we have played in years you would give Pardew a mere 10 games this season and sack him. Can I also point out that we have only lost one game in five this season.
    Can you not see that that is just a little bit of an overreaction. ? Probably not.

• 99 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Anyone who is okay with his team losing 5 games just because the manager is trying to make one player feel happy about himself shouldn’t call himself a fan

• 100 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

seeing as krul and colo are injured my team for tonight would be

—————harper—————–
    -ferg—saylor—perch–santon-
    —————anita——————-
    -arfa——-cabaye——marvaux-
    ————ba—–cisse————-

santon and ferg both atking fb’s same with front 5 all very atking players as i’m a little worried that our back line is not that solid ferg not best defender and no colo so think we should rip there goal net to bits and get both ba and cisse on the sheet to stop people saying they can not play as a 2

• 101 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I revert to the old adage, you cannot reason a man out of a position he didn’t reason himself into

• 102 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM

tequilamag

We have a top 5 squad so it wasn’t a miracle to finish 5th and the best football we played last season was in the 433 formation which Pardew is avoiding it like the plague this season.

• 103 check the toastie // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Ashton – i agree with your main point, we achieved 5th last year based mainly on individual brilliance not tactical know how, for me, jury is still out on Pardewasaurus, he talks a good game about keeping the ball and controlling midfield, however it is a long time coming, we have the players its about time he used them.

Cant fault the teams spirit and togetherness which pardew needs to be praised, however last season and this we were outplayed by lesser teams far too frequently. I mean Wolves at home, bolton at home, norwich at home, come on just being realistic based on performance not results, need to see more. Imagine what our frontline could do if we could up our possession.

• 104 Robby Bobson // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Ashton….first 12 games unbeaten in 442, beat man utd and chelsea with 442, got hammered by fulham and wigan in 433. We should go 433 i think but to make out we finished 5th cus of 433 and hes.only changd it for ba is jus ridiculous. You just want to moan about something.

• 105 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Ashton

There is simply no talking to some people, he’s the best manager we have had since SBR, and after we missed out on 4th and went 4 games without a win he was sacked too. Some fans thought that was the right decision but I think hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I am a fan, I devoutly follow out club and want only the best for it, sacking Alan Pardew is most definitely not what is best for the club

• 106 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Ashton. Yes I think we have a squad which is capable of being top 5 and who knows we may well repeat that and hopefully break into top 4. I just think you should show a bit more faith in the manager who played a massive part in that achievment.

• 107 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

You haven’t and can’t prove me wrong. I’ve offered rational rebuttals to all your questions and arguments. You have not.

• 108 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

@ashton
    jesus lad will you stop with the pard’s is doing everything for ba !!!!
    when cisse came in did he move ba ? yes he did so if ba was his love child would he not have kept ba in the centre ?
    ba scores goals through the centre and cisse is not scoring goals for us atm which is prob why he may be thinking give the 2 of them chances to get goals instead on just the one who seems to be missing the odd chance or 2. ba scores as proven in begining of last season BEFORE he was moved on the wing when cisse came in! so was that a good idea taking our top scorer and playing him on the wing but you dont moan because cisse started scoring its like having 2 alan shearers and saying play one on the wing ^^

• 109 Shane // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I swear if I have to read the numbers 433, 442, 451 and or the words optimist and pessimist one more time I will just die.

Having now said that, being an optimist I have just bought my Euro Millions ticket and played the exact same numbers… I figured, we are finally back in Europe (Euro) and these numbers keep cropping up… Is it a sign? Probably not but again, optomist!

43 3 44 2 4 (5, 1)

Mon tha Euro toon!

• 110 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Ashton

I think it is a matter of perception as to what constitutes “rational”

Many would argue that claims to sack Pardew after the next games is a far cry from anything reasonable.

Also I am not trying to prove you wrong, merely engaging in discussion, it’s not a competition.

• 111 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM

“next 5 games” that should say

• 112 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I might be late on this news or just missed Ed’s article about it but there are rumors an an article on teamtalk that Abeid is very close to a loan deal and there are many championship clubs who are interested.

• 113 Robby Bobson // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Shane i mentioned the numbers 5 times in my last post, so i feel im due a couple of mill if u win at least ;)

• 114 tequilamag // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I think we have plenty of cover in CM. Would love to see Abeid go on loan just to see how good he is.

• 115 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Robby Bobson

Mate I’ve explained that already. 442 works and worked for us because we had right players (big center forward with solid hod up play and heading ability). First 12 games we had Best playing on top and knocking the balls down to Ba which was playing behind him. It worked and our whole tactic was based on them long balls toward Best or sometimes shola. It’s not working now because we don’t have that player. Ba isn’t a target man nor is Cisse. Please understand this!.

Also we didn’t play 433 against Fullham and against Wigan we only played 433 for 20 minutes.

• 116 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM

@112
    yep its reported on sky sports news and think it will bring the lad on in leaps and bounds tbh.
    he’s the closest thing we have to ben arfa and playing in champs for a season against not quite prem oponents should give him loads of confidence

• 117 Robby Bobson // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Ashton i totally agree as i said with our team now 433 gets the best out of our best players, but i dont agree that pardew is playing 442 because of Ba.

• 118 Shane // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I don’t mind sharing the wealth with any optimists.

As for tonight, just believe in Pards. I feel he will surprise a few of you with his selection and formation tonight. :-)

• 119 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

You are contradicting yourself so much it’s ridiculous. read your comment on 101 than your last one and you will see.

• 120 toonking // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

well no suprises then with the subject mainly be chatted about is formation and ba cisse, so i think this is the perfect time for me to come up with the best reason as to why ba or cisse should be dropped today.
    the reason that one surely needs dropping is because we have a europa game on thursday in which one surely needs to start because unlike our midfield positions the forward positions are scarce because the other forward have problems of some sort
    shola- tall player who needs good crosses which we CAN’T do atm
    sammy- very injury prone and wether he is fit or not i don’t know
    cambell-because pardew believed he should be on the bench v the greek team he surely he won’t start on thursday
    finally ranger- too much trouble atm

So this only leaves us with ba and cisse for 5 games in 12 days

which now brings my second point, i believe that that today the main negative bloggers will be the stupidest ones who expect every game to be easy
    the one who really know what they talking about and watch the game will wait till norwich and if we loose or draw will be serious with negative.

As for me i might make some negative with results like villa H but as for today i expect a loss so am not bothered as long as he makes sub earlier and does not start with both dembas unless he will play cambell on thursday because i am not against shola starting thursday it is down to the point i made earlier.

• 121 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Robby Bobson

Why is he then?

• 122 MacToon // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM

The star of the team will shine when the balance of the team is right.

• 123 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Take it easy every-one !

Lets just try and get the three points this evening eh!

HWTL !

• 124 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM

No I’m not Ashton

Trying to reason a man to a different way of thinking isn’t quite the same as trying to prove him wrong, why you have such a battleground mentality is beyond me, I should have realised this the last time you threw a hissy fit but I will not make the same mistake again.

I don’t understand what your disdain for me is as I believe I haven’t done anything to offend you but you clearly think otherwise. We will never agree but also seems like we cannot engage properly in discussion without needing to beat the other person, so I think there is little point actually discussing things.

• 125 Robby Bobson // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Ashton…..only he knows, but i listed all the reasons why he could be. You dont drop.the teams.best player and notorious strop for 6 months in ben arfa if hes gona make tactical decisions to keep one guy happy.

• 126 Toonboy_84 // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Newexpat from earlier.

No lose is the bet not the game mate

• 127 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM

@toonking

you have a very good point there with 5 games in 2 weeks that maybe we should rest one of them
    not saying which one as demba ba is my choice of 1st striker atm based on pre season and the fact he’s been working hard for the team when he’s been playing and that cisse has missed some easy chances.
    but i really wanna see campbell get some playing time aswell at some stage

• 128 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Okay @126 !

What are your odds ?

• 129 toonLYF // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM

what i would say pre-match if i was Pardew…

we have better players than Everton. That is fact, even despite the injuries we currently have. Any realistic Everton supporter and i’m sure even David Moyes would admit that. So how about we dismiss all of the concerns (Fellaini, Goodison park, Colo out, Tiote Out, etc…) and let’s just go and beat them at a game of football. 11 men against 11 men, lets be the better 11 like we know we can be.

• 130 toonLYF // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

also, Perchinho to score Newcastle’s 1,000th Premier League goal tonight.

• 131 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Right lads I’m off for the evening. Chat laters lads

• 132 Toonboy_84 // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

@128

Go onto Facebook. Search black and white army. It is their exclusive deal. All info is there. It is free money and all withdrawable.

Put 25 on get 135 back for a TOON win. Of get 35 back for TOON loss or draw. Simples!

• 133 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Robby Bobson

I countered and refuted your reasons at 115 so these are not legitimate causes or excuses to play 442. Also don’t give me the “but he won manager of the year.. he can do anything he wants!!” line. Have an opinion and think for yourself and tell me why we are playing 442.

• 134 Toonboy_84 // Sep 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Withdrawable…………

I just made a word up ;)

• 135 check the toastie // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Ashton has constructed valid footballing points all based on last seasons performances and this season ambitions, we need to grow as a team and improve our performances.

Ruddy simply tries and mock other peoples opinions even though they are reasoned out and very well explained, he offers nothing in return barring belittling people and insinuating that they are not allowed to have an opinion that differs to his.

Nobody is beyond criticism even Ben Arfa, if he loses a ball tonight and stands with his hands on his sides he should be subbed, if Pardew continues to pick clearly failed formations and teams he also warrants scrutiny,

We have the best squad since Keegan and its about time we started to flow a bit better. Lack of movement and too much of a defensive attitude is holding us back. Its like we have not progressed in terms of football in 18 month Pardew has been here, however without a doubt the squad is now miles better.

Personally think Fat Mike will be keeping a close eye on how we perform this year and if he doesnt think we are improving Pards may get the bullet.

• 136 Lanzatoon42 // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Howay the lads, you can do it tonight!!!! 3 points please!!!!

• 137 nufc786 // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:13 PM

• 138 dave 1961 // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:14 PM

seen this on the bbc website
    “Two African food stores have sold bush meat such as “grass cutter” or cane rats, which are described as having been imported from Ghana where they are a delicacy”. and we thought it was only Liverpool fans that ate rats

• 139 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM

@135 we did improve last season ! over improved in fact we was aiming for top 10 at a push top 6 and we finished 5th this season has only just started and allready the boo squad is out.
    the questions aston is asking is why pards has changed the team for ba but he has not changed it just for him the evidence on last season proves it as i stated before he pushed an in form 16goal ba to the wing to put cisse up front so he has no special favouritism to ba and my answer to his why we are playing 442 seeing as only pardew can answer it and no one else ^^ at a guess i would say its because cisse is not hitting the target atm and ba is more consistant in pre season.
    so 2 strikers waiting to hit form is better than 1 striker out of form working alone upfront imo stats prove not many goals came from our mid last season as our strikers did all the scoring so if they are not scoring we have a problem and with both playing upfront we have twice the chance of them scoring if i’m correct ?

• 140 Peter // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I have faith in the mighty magpies, everton are good but we are simply better all we need is one chance from either ba cisse ben arfa and its a goal. Howay the lads!!

• 141 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:20 PM

@ Toonboy

Anything that sounds to good to be true usually is. I’m sure its not that simple like, not that I ever bet

• 142 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I sure hope Pardew doesn’t play 442 to just keep Cisse happy, we should play 451 or 433 and Ba should play on front on his own because he is better form than Cisse so Cisse should be dropped to the bench.

• 143 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Which goal do you think was better ?

1. Ben Arfa vs Everton
    2. Ben Arfa vs Villa

Both similar

• 144 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Check
    Disagree about us not progressing since pardiola has been in charge, we went from a newly promoted mid table team to a european team almost overnight, maybe its a case of too much too fast?
    As for the 442 arguement i dont think anyone would say that they wouldnt like to see us play a 433 but they cant dismiss that some of our best performances last season were in both 442 and 443, granted the 442 was best with ba feeding of shola but i think ba has adapted his game well to play in several scenarios for us and maybe cisse should try the same, 433 wont work in every fixture, just like 442 wont, we need to be able to play several formations throughout the season
    For me the reason the 442 isnt working this season has little to do with ba or cisse more our midfield, no tiote an out of form cabaye and as much as i love jonas he is ineffective as a winger would of been better playing him along side cabs with marv on the left
    And as fir it all bieng ba’s fault (i know its not you thats said that) i find that ridiculous pards has systematically got rid of the trouble makers im sure ba would of got the boot to

• 145 check the toastie // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Performances need to improve, nobody can critisize were we finished in the league, it was way above expectations, however now we have added to the squad and some of our players have a year in the PL we are expecting progress in terms of performance, dont think thats unresonable.

It was Pardew who said we should be going for top4, the performances and the way Pardew sets up certainly doesnt back up his words that he thinks we could get top 4 this year. No other team in the top 8 concedes possession as frequently as we do and also plays with a containment attitude as us. Really confuses me at times Pards does.

• 146 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Big pappa
    I put that up the other day with the videos but it was dead on here :( personally i went for the everton goal purely cos of the way he set himself with that little cut back inside

• 147 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Villa was better for me because I didn’t expect it all especially because it was his weak foot.

• 148 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Check
    Now that i can agree with all the lads have had a season to bed in so now we really should be seeing the best of them, although i think we should be seeing that regardless of formation

• 149 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM

At all

• 150 toonarmy81 // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Fingers crossd for better performances from ba n cisse tonight. Howay the lads

• 151 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM

@145 + 148 yep agree which is why i think we had a good transfer window (allready great players but bedded in now aswell) onlt ones to watch are teams that improved in transfer window which imo are munu/chel/manc maybe arsenal so we should be near top ish i hope again at end of it but based on other teams i say happy with top 6 again those 1st 3 are beyond us i’m afraid with there spend spend spend attitude

• 152 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I am hoping for a 7-0 win tonight. Ba & Cisse hattrick and HBA with the cherry on top. Reckon I am asking for too much :)

• 153 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

hehehe love it big pappa i will not say thats far fetched as i’ll be hoping for that myself lol
    got the ciders ready toon shirt on and phone ready to ring all the manu and liverpool fans i know just to rub it in :-)

• 154 Tsunki // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

well if we do get beat tonight I am steering clear of this place for a week, I dont have the will or the medication to carry me through the tsunami of doubt that will inevitably follow. Cries of ‘Pardew out!’ and ‘Tactical ineptitude’ coupled with ‘lack of ambition’ followed closely by the inevitable ‘championship quality AT BEST’ appraisals of rubbish players like Cabaye, Anita, HBA….

I see the 442/433 and even my favourite 4-2-3-1 rages on, thats ok, but Pards knows what tools are in the chest and with the team he had last year he took risks and by and large they paid off handsomely. I don’t think we have the team even now to play in an ideal formation, so I think it’s highly premature after a handful of games to go scouting europe for the finest managers who ever lived to replace Alan. Part of the successful installation of team spirit, which is 25% of results imo, is how you treat players. Couple that with a whole-season result that ended with 5th place with a squad that warranted as i saw it, about 8-10th place, showed an average tactical aptitude of very good. Results do not lie.

• 155 Tsunki // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

BPC if that happens I will be on this place quick as a flash to see the negatories leave lots of white spaces. Geoff77 where are you now?

• 156 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Pardew must be mad letting Abeid go out on loan. He is one of the best midfielders at the club and is miles ahead of Gosling, Vuckic and Bigirimana. The clubs turning into a complete joke.

We should be letting Gosling out on loan. Abeid should be ahead of Bigirimana in the pecking order.

• 157 toonLYF // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Tsunki – amen to the staying well clear of this place if we get beat tonight.

• 158 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Tsunki
    Amen to that!

Ketsbia
    Yeah as mad as your broadband provider fir letting you have access to the internet!

• 159 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I only get really angry if we lose heavily or in the last minute like Arsenal away last season. After they got that late winner I was going mental slamming doors and banging tables. The dog was terrified bless him :) . If we get beat but atleast create chances and look solid then so be it

• 160 Tsunki // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM

ketsy – Pardew is mad and he’s a premier league manager. A real one.

• 161 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I sort of agree with kets about Abeid. If anyone needs to be loaned out for regular football its Gosling. Anyone know how many games he has played in the last few years ? , can’t be many like

• 162 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

abied is closest thing we have to arfa so think he will get more confidence and learn easier against lesser opponents than facing someone like chelsea ect and face losing the confidence he has i know and think your right with him being perm class allready but if he comes back after a season on loan even more confident when lets be honest atm we are not short of midfielders it could turn out to be better than a new signing like this season should be with marv and the ever impressive perch

• 163 check the toastie // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I agree with Kets, i think abied has real quality and am surprised Bigi has jumped above him, also Gosling has had more opportunities and shown zilch, i think Abeid may have a bit of an attitude, send him somewhere to see if he is as good as he thinks he is, its a good idea.

• 164 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

BPC
    I was at my wifes step brothers wedding reception when that game was on (was pissed off anyway cos i had to give up my ticket) the brides slightly drunk dad wanted to propose one last toast as things were dying down just as every one was raising there glass and saying cheers every one must of just heard
    Cheerssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaahhhhhh FOR FCUK SAKE!!!

• 165 check the toastie // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

croftus – abeid is nothing like BenArfa, think you must have him mixed up with someone else?

• 166 toonLYF // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

just been spying on a few Everton forums, literally not one person said they’re expecting to get beat, and only two predicted draws. The majority think it’s going to be a walk in the park for them. Lets f****g have em’.

• 167 FatmanJoe // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Kets

Why do you think players go out on loan? You don’t send them out coz you think they’re crap and have no future. You send them on to gain experience, keep fit so when they are called to play they look and feel sharp. I personally think it’s a compliment to abeid that is considered important enough to send away. Shows he has a future.

And him and gosling play different roles incomparable. Think dan will come good.

• 168 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

aye gos should be loaned out imo i think he’s a great player simular to rob lee but hard to see him fitting in team when we play dm and am as he is a complete cm and not outstanding in any catagory but good in all.
    think he would be ideal when pushing for a win and can not afford a dm in the team maybe.
    but a season in champ to build confidence and show his class would not hurt anyone

• 169 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Think its a good thing putting abied on loan if he gets a good season on loan will do him the world of good, maybe to the point of bieng a regular next season, as to why bigi is ahead of him ppl seem to forget that despite all abieds promise before he signed for us he had never made a senior team appearence, where as bigi has a full season in the championship under his belt and that sort of experience is invaluable to player development imho

• 170 Rowan Milsted // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM

It’s going to be very tough tonght. Personally I’d take a draw. We could do with all 3 points having failed to beat Villa at home, but a draw at Goodison isn’t a bad result at all. Normally they start the season slowly but they seem to be in form. With the injuries we have it’ll be interesting to see who plays and in what formation. I think Pards will probably go with a solid 4-4-2, Anita or possibly Jonas dropping to LB so Santon can move across to RB. I expect Cisse and Ba will play but we must accommodate HBA too, he’s been our best player so far this season. Roll on 8 o’ clock, can’t wait.

• 171 FatmanJoe // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Tads and croft – agree. Gosling should go on loan and bigi has far more experience in English football.

Pardew is doing the right thing imo

• 172 FatmanJoe // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Look at tav – been on loan for a couple of seasons, comes back, gets new deal and is now being groomed into our future rb.

It’s not an insult to be sent on loan.

• 173 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM

@165

reason for comparison is he likes to run with ball is athletic has a good eye for goal and has good vision.
    i know they dont play in same possitions and arfa is a lot faster and more skillfull but it was the confidence issue i meant about them both playing better because they believe they are better

• 174 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

If we do Loan anyone I think we should have an option to recall them at any time just incase. We should loan him to Blackpool so they are not to upset when we take Ince of their hands in January ;)

• 175 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

You can compare Gosling with Abeid as they both play in the same position (central midfield/am). From what I’ve seen, Gosling isn’t good enough.

Bigirimana looks a good signing, but he shouldn’t be in the team ahead of Abeid.

I’m hoping Xisco makes the bench tonight.

• 176 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Can anybody remember how close more or less to kick off Ed throws out the last pre-game post?

…lineup and so forth :)

• 177 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

BPC
    Yeah every loan should have that

Fatman joe
    Exactly was an insult when cleverly went to wigan? Or wilshire and sturridge to bolton?
    Scott sinclair spent the best part of 4 seasons on loan, as long as hes in a tram that are prepared to use him properly and regularly its only going to enhance his development for tge best

• 178 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Kets
    If xisco couldnt make the bench when our only 2 strikers were on the bench i doubt he’ll make it now sholas back (think i read hes back anyway)

• 179 FatmanJoe // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Central midfield and attacking midfield are a bit different actually. Hence why it’s difficult to compare.

• 180 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

ye good point big pappa liverpool landed themselves in the excrement by loaning carroll out without a callback in his clause.

• 181 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

TADS…was it you who recommended Ben Howard and Ray LaMontagne to me?

• 182 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Jesper
    That it was!

Croftus
    Carroll has a call back clause but its only active in january bit strange like

• 183 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

TADS…me like very much :D

• 184 FatmanJoe // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

An I’ve just remembered kets is the guy who posts outlandish things on here to get a rise out of people. He isn’t actually being serious.

• 185 Jonny // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Paddy power offering 9/1 on Cisse anytime goalscorer and the win!!

• 186 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Jesper
    Glad ya like them very chilled out albums, god knows we all need a chill out posting on here ;)

• 187 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

TADS…we sure do ;D (why do you think I have Ben and Ray playing in the background)

• 188 tarie4 // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Just been going through the comments and one that stuck our was check the toastie saying Ashton had well reasoned points?? Besides his talk of formation, (which all neggers and optimists) will agree on.
    But to say pards had no hand (essentially from reading his original post thats how he comes across as saying) in us finishing 5th and cost us 4th.
    And to also say the team we had was good enough for 4th (when in September most of our supporters were saying we are in for a relegation Battle, most had written of Ba the list goes on)
    LADS the sign of a good manager is one who gets a result even though his team his playing poorly.

any fan who says pards did not deserve his manager of the season and one who says he played no part in turning a mid table team to European football candidates in 18 months IS NOT REASONABLE!!!!!
    AVB had a fantastic squad with Chelsea but they were crap. De matio (spelling) took that same bunch to champions league glory and a FA cup, (and they played some dire football along the way tbf)
    Moral of the story, U can have a good squad, but if the manager is clueless U will not win games.
    We have a good squad and a good manger, hence our 5th place finish.
    Rant over

• 189 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Tarie4
    *di matteo youve been warned by the spelling police!!!!! ;)

Seriously though great post lad

• 190 JDdubai // Sep 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

HBA can do everything????

Good job as he is going to have to as no-one else has shown up this season so far…

• 191 croftus5678 // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

think if you compare abied to anyone it should be amalfitano.
    gos would be more in the mould of guthrie.
    having said that he is one of the few midfielders we have who does get in the box when he can

• 192 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM

wow we playing 451

• 193 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Harper; Perch, S.Taylor, Williamson, Santon; Anita, Gutierrez(c); Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Marveaux; Cisse.

• 194 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM

subs Elliot, Tavernier, Bigirimana, Gosling, Obertan, Shola Ameobi, Ba.

• 195 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I don’t understand why Ba is the one that has been dropped

• 196 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Good looking team heaven help us if we lose we cant blame ba or 442 what will we do!

3 points lads c’mon the toon

• 197 Magpie from Lithuania // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Newcastle United (4-2-3-1): Steve Harper; James Perch, Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor, Davide Santon; Vurnon Anita, Jonas Gutierrez (c); Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux; Papiss Cisse

• 198 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Lemons..If that’s the lineup it seems the silver supremo saw my post yesterday ;D except I had Obertan instead of Marv, but that was basically because I didn’t think Pardew would dare :D lol

• 199 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Mutiny
    Its strange hes looked far more dangerous this season than cisse, looking at the bench wouldnt be suprised to see us switch to a 442 if its not happening for us with ba n shola coming on

• 200 toonking // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

right now that pardew has change formation this should mean that if we loose tonight no one should be complaining about formation oryou r stupid

• 201 Shane // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Told you all Pards would surprise you with his team selection. ;-) come on Marv!

• 202 anirudh175 // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

The Lads need to play with some fire in our belies tonight…we badly need a win tonight and shudnt get too overawed by the whole”Goodison Park” effect…just go there and kick their butts inside out..Howay the Lads!!!

• 203 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

jesperfuglsang

shows how little of Pardew we know…lots of people saying he doesn’t have the balls. I still would have had Ba in front of Cisse though since he looks to be in better form but Pardew probably saw different in training.

• 204 cadete // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Good lineup think I would have started ba in front of cisse but all round very happy! Great to see Marv start hopefully he does a good job

• 205 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Agree, I would have gone with Ba instead of Cisse, but hi we need Cisse firing on all cylinders anytime soon so might as well be tonite :D

• 206 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

All hail king jesper tactical mastermind (unless we lose then its gonna be jesper out!)

• 207 Spreadthetoon // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM

——————Harper———————–
    Anita—–Saylor——–Williamson——Santon
    —————–Perch————————
    Obertan———Cabaye—————-Marv
    ——————-HBA———————-
    ———————-Ba———————-

I think that’s the best team going out tonight?

• 208 bollance // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM

The reasons Bigi has jumped the que is because he

– has championship experience which others dont, they have at best a few games in the prem

– younger so better potential

– will probably declare alliance to England and be called up to u21 set-up.

All in all he is one of the biggests assets in the club right now. That is why he is on the fast track in the club

• 209 archaeomag // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I think that it is an attacking formation – Hatem behind Cisse, that is difficult to defend against – can’t wait – lets hope they get the service

• 210 AmericanGeordie // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Considering who we have available, I’m loving the line up and formation AP announced for tonight’s game.

I think it is very important to consistently play Anita in a holding midfield role in the 4-2-3-1.

Once he is settled there (and Tiote returns), and we get our FBs sorted (Santon + who), I think we will be handful going forward and defending.

• 211 Jamesthefirst // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

FINALLY Pardew has listened. Fantastic selection.

And Cisse is the right choice. He is a world class finisher who can score a goal out of nothing.

I love BA but he is not in the same class as Cisse.

• 212 toonking // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

TADS
    just thought actually it will be easy for the neggar still because of non other that the CB we call willo so i wish he did not play willo so they would find it difficult to use excuses.
    i am ok with him myself because at the end of the day he is a toon player and tries his best.

• 213 Ashton // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Is this real life?

——————————–Harps
    Perchinho——–Willo———– Saylor—————Santon
    ———————–Anita—————-Jonas
    ———————————-Cabaye
    Ben Arfa—————————————————–Marv
    ———————————-Cisse

If Pardew’s playing with this formation then my hat is off to him. Well done!.

• 214 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Well it’ll be a definite loss tonight now Williamson is starting. 2-0 Everton. We don’t have a centre-back on the bench. Pleased Marveaux starts, but I’m afraid we’re going to get exploited defensively. Gosling ahead of Abeid again? It’s a joke.

• 215 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:15 PM

TADS…I am going to be crucified if we lose now :D They’ll start calling me tactical inept, Championship level at best :D lol

• 216 anirudh175 // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:15 PM

think Ba should start..he’s far more active on the field as compared to Cisse….selecting marveaux in the starting line up is a positive move by pards…looks to be in the mood to strengthen the midfield as well as give us more feeders for our strikers…Howay the Lads!!!

• 217 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Jesper
    You better of called it right then

One last thing
    KETS SHUT THE FCUK UP

• 218 jesperfuglsang // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

If we lose tonite folks, blame me :D (I’ll take this one on the chin for the silver supremo ;)) lol

…I’ll just like to go on record saying I think we’ll draw at worse…(knock on wood)

• 219 anirudh175 // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

should play our attacking game today and take the game to everton and not make thesame mistake we made against Chelsea by giving them too much respect!!!!

• 220 toonLYF // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

so happy with that line-up, pretty much everything i wanted.

Opinion on Gosling as i noticed it was a topic. I think he should be sold for definite.,.a loan would suggest he has potential to come back and offer us something. He has nothing to offer a team pushing for top 6 every year.

• 221 anirudh175 // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:20 PM

somehow I have the feeling Shola is going to score!!!!

• 222 anirudh175 // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM

any links people???

• 223 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Anirudh175
    Sep 17 – 7:25 PM
    any links people???

Some ones put one up on the next page mate

• 224 Hatem // Sep 17, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Just got back, stats look as if we’re getting destroyed, have we had any chances? Any way of turning it around?

previous post: Midfielder Must Impress This Season Or Risk Being Sold