Hatem Ben Arfa – He Can Do Everything

James Perch, the former Nottingham Forest captain, has a chance of starting the game tonight at Goodison Park for the Magpies, in three different positions, at center-back, right back or in defensive midfield, such is the versatility of the Mansfield-born player.

James Perch – could get a start tonight

The more we think about the team Alan Pardew will put out tonight at Goodison Park, the more we think he’ll find a place for the reliable and solid Perchinho, and he could even shade Mike Williamson to start at center-back.

But maybe the best team is to start Mike in place of Colo, James in place of Cheick Tiote, and keep Vurnon Anita at right back, where he looked very good last time out, and maybe Gael Bigirimana will only make the bench tonight.

The one result we don’t really want to night is a defeat as Newcastle fans are not exactly in good spirits right now.

This is what Perchinho said in the local press today:

“Colo will be a big miss if he doesn’t play – he’s a big player – but we’ve got players who can fill in. We know how important this game is. Everton are a good team – we played them on the last day of the season.” “They have started well this year, but we know what we can do.”

“We have players who can score goals.” “My injury was one to the neck I got during the Atromitos game – I think it was a bruised joint. It has settled down now, so I am OK.” “When you see the injuries we’ve got already, it looks bad.”

“The main thing is to keep fit.” “Everyone’s going to be needed. We can’t afford for any other players to be out injured.” “We had a few days off over the weekend, and came back in and trained well. I’m ready for selection, if needed.”

“Fellaini’s a good player – you saw what he did against Manchester United. He ripped them to bits.” “They have other players, it is not just him. Pienaar on the the left wing is quality. Baines is at left-back, his deliveries are unbelievable.”

“We cannot be too focused on one individual.” “We know they are a good, hard-working team, and that is what we will be focused on.” “I played when Hatem scored that great goal. Hopefully, he does it again.”

“We know if we keep it tight at the back, then we’ve got the likes of Hatem, Demba, Papiss and Cabs – Yohan Cabaye. “Hatem’s goal that day was unbelievable. He rocketed that shot in. He has done it since.”

“He can do it with his right foot, as you saw against Villa. He can run from the halfway line – he can do everything.”

Certainly all eyes tonight will be on Hatem Ben Arfa, whose first ever goal for Newcastle was a beauty two years ago (18th September to be exact) at Goodison Park, when he rifled the ball in with his left foot and gave American goalkeeper Tim Howard no chance at all.

But it was only a couple of weeks later that he sustained the double fracture of his lower left leg at Manchester City, and was out for the rest of that season.

Ben Arfa scoring his first ever Newcastle goal two years ago

But the 25 year-old came back in great style this year, and the Frenchman nailed down a first team starting position on the right wing, and this lad can score at any time, and those words from Perchinho about the lad – he can do everything – says it all really.

And of course we’re hoping the French International can rifle one in tonight.

We’ll take anything but a defeat tonight, but want to see a good and determined performance from our lads, no matter what the result.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Ashton

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM

This season he will be one of the best players in the league.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM

“he can do everything.”

No sh*t Sherlock 🙂 , gotta love Perch like

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM

So what are the topics of the day?

Gosling not cutting the mustard and Pardew’s tactical ineptitude?

Are these topics on top of people talking about how we’re going to get beat tonight? Got to love how positive some people are.

Gosling is a decent player, hasn’t replicated pre-season form yet but he has shown that he is capable, perhaps a loan move would do him well but we need to keep the squad together for the time being, January will let us know who can go out on loan and who is part of the first team.

As far as Pardew is concerned I am willing to back that guy 100%, even if he sticks with 4-4-2, as we got some great results with that formation last season. I can’t say I understand him sticking with it but perhaps he just wants the Senegalese boys to fire together, if it continues to misfire then I can see him adapting a different formation, the issue is whether we can be patient with the manager who got us 5th and won Manager of the Year. I know I can 😛

And tonight’s game? Well if we come away with a point I’d be very happy, I’d have said that even if we had no injuries, but I always back our lads to do well and with HBA in the team anything is possible.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I don’t think the rest of the league realize just how good a player Ben Arfa is. Imagine if say Hazard scored the goal that Benny score against Bolton, you would not hear the end of it for weeks and it would no doubt be goal of the season. In some ways I prefer it that he goes slightly un-noticed at NUFC but if he carries on the way he has started this season I fear he might be on of the Premier League’s best players and start getting tapped up by the big boys

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Big Pappa

Let’s hope that the club can grow to match his ambition, if he really wants to play CL football then I am sure that AP is putting a hand on his shoulder and say, why not get us CL football at a club whose fans adore you and who he seemingly adores.

He does seem to love this club, perhaps due to the warm wishes he got when he broke his leg and the roar he gets from the fans every time he is on the ball, but if ultimately a “bigger” team comes in for him then it will be for mega-bucks, but for me he is priceless.

• check the toastie

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Big Pappa – i agree Ben10 doesnt seem to get the headlines, bit baffling really, its the same mentality that only sees players who play for Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool generally called up for England.

Southern based press cant get their heads out their arse.

• check the toastie

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Just like to add Perchinho is class.

• Ashton

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

You talk about finishing 5th last season as if it was a Pardew master-class! It wasn’t. We have a very good squad with solid players. Most of our fans underestimate our players and overestimate Pardew’s ability and tactics. We could’ve finished 4th last season if it weren’t for Pardews stupid decision to change the 433 to 442. And the only reason he did that was to make Ba happy.

• Hatem

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Just want to thank Ed again for the sterling work he does on this blog day in day out, even with the many stresses of everyday life, you’re a hero to me for the work you do on here. As for the Everton game, looks tough, but its not all doom and gloom. Yes our defence looks weak, but our attack is still pretty good and i’m hoping we can edge it.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Ruddy…it has not been easy today 🙁 whenever you try to put a possitive spin on it someone finds something to criticize…I have even found myself sucomb for a short moment…lol

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Ashton

I find your point of view baffling to say the least. So you’re saying Pardew had no part to play in us finishing 5th? So much so that he actually cost us 4th place? Are you being serious?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Jesper

It can be ever so slightly maddening at times, I admire how you persevere so stoically, and with such poise and grace 😛

Ever find that babysitter? haha

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I just hope tonight we 1. don’t get hammered and 2. give a good account of ourselves. I am playing 5-a side tonight so I will miss the first half but I hope when I get back home we are leading 1-0 or still playing a draw. I would definitely take 1-1 draw like as it will be tough

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Ruddy…we are working on it mate 😉

…do I hear the sound of my favorite trio in the back (Barry, Marvin and Otis;)) just kidding… lol

So what have you done to Ibiza? Haven’t seen him all weekend (well I haven’t been on much either)

• Mo Drysdale

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM

———————————-Harper———————————

———————Willo——————–Taylor——————-

Anita————————-Perchino———————-Santon

Jonas————-Cabaye————-Ben Arfa——Marveaux-

———————————–Ba————————————-

1. Need a 5 in midfield
    2. Ben Arfa free rain to roam and support the striker
    3. Tell Ba he is being subbed at half time with Cisse so give 100% work rate for 45

• Hatem

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

So you think Pards let us down by getting 5th place, and we should have got fourth. No wonder the rest of the country see’s us as deluded.

• Ashton

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Now where did I say that? My point is; our squad has (had the ability last season) to finish 5th and it wasn’t such a miracle to do that. Pardew had a role of course but it wasn’t as major as you think.We could’ve finished higher but he changed our 433 formation in our last three games in favor of the 442. I think we could’ve got something against Man city and Everton if we stuck with the 433 but we(he) didn’t.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Jesper

Haven’t been on this weekend at all, sometimes the negativity can just be too much and the small exiles are required to keep us all sane! haha

Well I “heard it on the grapevine” that he is kipping in his office as he pimped out his home for 30 pieces of silver 😛

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Big Pappa…is that in- or outdoor? London?

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM

If Ben Arfa carries on playing and scoring goals like he has done so far this year, It will not only be Krul under the spotlights of the likes of Barca and Real !

Come January we will not only have problems with clubs sniffing around Krul but Hatem wil be at risk too!

Still wanting himto play a blinder this evening, however !

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I rate Pardew very highly and have only really questioned him on

1. Playing Raylor over Ben Arfa last season
    2. Some of his substitutions are questionable
    3. Playing 4-4-2 against opposition that are playing a 5 man midfield

On formations I thought that Pardew would have recognized that number 3 does not work. Every game this season the other team has played with 1 striker and packed the midfield against us playing 4-4-2. Then Pardew shifts Ba out to the left hand side, we start to look allot better and get a grip of the game. Surely Pardew must see this and either tell Ba that if he wants to start every game he needs to play slightly out wide or drop one of the Demba’s and replace them with Marveaux and rotate them.

• Ashton

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Hatem

You have a small club mentality and no ambition. We could’ve definitely finished 4th last season.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Ruddy…he did pimp out his house that dirty property pimp ;D haha (I called him that the other day)

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM

@ Jesper

Its outdoor in Newcastle m8, we are in a league and our team name is Papiss Cisse’s 5 Goats 🙂

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Ashton

The implication was pretty clear that you rate Pardew’s contribution very lowly in terms of what we achieved, the people who dole out the awards for Manager of the Year tended to disagree with you and I disagree too.

We gave a very good account of ourselves against City, the game was won when Mancini took de Jong on and played Yaya a little higher, they were by far the better team, even if we played 4-3-3 they more than likely would have beat us and Everton at Goodison is a very hard place to go, as will be proved tonight (not doubting that we can get something) but to blame the formation as the sole reason we got nothing against City and Everton last season is a bit over the top, given how we were spanked by Wigan playing 4-3-3

4-3-3 isn’t without its shortcomings too you know?

• tequilamag

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Ashton i find it odd that you have such a low opinion of Pardew. You do praise the quality of the squad though. Remind me again who was it that bought Ba Cisse Cabaye Santon.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Big Pappa…nice name 😀 lol

…we don’t do much five a side here in DK sadly; I knew they did alot of it in London so I thought…

I like it ’cause it’s more technical and i am a flair player myself (or I were in my younger days…hi I am not even that old ;))

• Nufc-83

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM

On gosling:
    * Sep 17 – 1:40 PM
    For me i can live with young players making mistakes and even letting games pass them by as this is all part of developing your game but at a top prem club i expect to see some good attributes being displayed. Vuckic has a bullet of a left foot and great size bigi great tackler and good range of passing amaf has great technical ability on the ball. Gosling has displayed no stand out attributes and is generally poor in all areas so i cant live with his mistakes etc.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Nufc-83…Gosling has a very physical presence and being the box to box midfielder he is he is actually quite good at being in the box when needed imo 🙂

…is that attributes enough for you ;D

• Hatem

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I’l admit that I prefer it when we play 433, but there were games when we played 433 and got turned over. City won the league this year and both games against them we gave them a run for their money. We could of finished 4th, but at the beginning of the season you would probably of been happy with 8th, I know I would of been. This isn’t my small club mentality this is because we had just been promoted and let 3 of our most high profile players go. Therefore I was extremely happy with 5th.

• Ashton

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

We only played 20 minutes against Wigan with the 433.

Also I hate it when people bring out the fact that Pardew won the Manager of the Year award and thus implying that he should be immune to any sort of questioning and criticism. “b-b-but he won the best manager award!! so it’s okay for him to do whatever he wants”

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I have posted this before but I feel it will be the best formation to get Ba & Cisse firing together.

———————-Krul———————-

–Debuchy—-Taylor——-Collocini—-Santon-

——Tiote———-Cabaye———Anita——

———————-HBA———————-

————-Cisse————-Ba————–

Obviously for width we need attacking fullbacks so Debuchy would be ideal in January. When they bomb forward Anita & Tiote can cover them with Cabaye allowed to run the Midfield spraying passes. Also Ba & Cisse’s problem this season is that there is no link between the midfield and striker force. Playing Ben Arfa in the hole will give us that link with his dazzling runs and reverse passes and should see the Demba’s scoring allot more.

• Hatem

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Thats my ideal formation too, as Jonas could slot nicely into CM if any of the three were injured.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM

It says a lot about a man’s mentality when after finishing 5th in their second season up in the Premier League there are people questioning the manager because we didn’t finish 4th.

There is simply no reasoning with some people and it is infuriating, but I will continue to back the lads and the manager regardless of the somewhat unreasonable expectations from some fans.

I suppose that is being elitist too?

• tequilamag

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Ashton, nobody is beyond criticism but managers are paid to make decisions, So yes when it comes to tactics formations team selections he has to be allowed to do whatever he wants.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

@ Jesper

Yeah I prefer playing 5-a side as well. I play Attacking fullback in 11v11 kinda like Santon for us however I very rarely get a sight of goal. In 5-a side I can defend and score goals so its a win win situation 🙂

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Ashton

Your initial point is beyond sense and reason, Man City have great players, but to say that winning the league was pretty much all down to the players and Mancini had only a small role to play would put you in line for ridicule, so the same should apply with our own club.

If the manager’s job is so negligible then why do clubs even appoint managers? And it annoys you that people point to the fact he won Manager of the Year? Well I don’t care if it annoys you, it’s the truth, his management style has been recognised by those outside the club, it’s about time you recognise it too.

You remind me of a certain faction of fans who were glad SBR got sacked, you don’t know what you have until it is gone so it is better to appreciate it while you still have it.

• bollance

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Ruddy

Agreed. I am happy with what we have achieved and where we are now especially compared to where we were even a few seasons.

Rome was not built in a day..

• geordieracer1980

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Ashton – We won many games when we played 4-4-2 last season. Chelsea away being one. Man Utd at home another.

With the team and personnel we have, we can switch between the two systems very easily mid-match.

Pardew isn’t immune from criticism, no one is. But the stark reality is he has been brilliant for Newcastle. The form we saw from Ben Arfa towards the end of last season and this season is down to Pardew’s man-management. He eked performances from squad players like Perch, Ryan Taylor and Danny Guthrie that no other manager has done.

So before you criticise, jsut remember how soon it is since we were in the Championship. And as someone else mentioned, we lost 3 of our most influential players last summer, not to mention Andy Carroll the previous January. If you had told any Newcastle fan this time last year that we would’ve finished 5th and be back in Europe, you would’ve been locked up!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Bollance

The rise of our club since relegation has been nothing short of meteoric, and with such a drastic rise in fortunes we need to instil some stability, which may necessitate consolidating what we have achieved. I think we can still finish anywhere from 4th-7th, I don’t see us finishing any lower than that and for me that would be a very good season.

1 2 3 6