Newcastle Fans Have Not Seen The Best Of Me Yet

One thing we like about Alan Pardew is he goes out and tries to win every single game, be it home and away, and that’s a contrast with some managers Newcastle have had in the recent past – and Sam Allardyce comes to mind as one who was willing to park a bus when we played top sides away from home, and try to get a draw, which we rarely got.

David Santon – has looked good this season

But Alan Pardew is a more positive and forward looking manager, and he will have a game plan tonight to win this game against Everton, and certainly all 3 points would be terrific.

Alan’s positive attitude is rubbing off on the Newcastle players, and one lad who has looked good this season so far is Italian left-back Davide Santon, who had this to say to the press today about tonight’s game at Goodison Park:

“We want to win because this year we want to stay in a good position and get into Europe again. But we know Everton is a difficult game. Last year, we lost there and so we know that Everton are a good team. But we will go to Everton not for a draw, not for a loss, but for a win. We will be positive.”

“Last season, the first few months were difficult for me because Serie A and the Premier League is totally different. But now I feel better on the pitch, and more confident so I am enjoying it. I want to help Newcastle keep improving, keep moving forward and be the best we can be. The fans have not seen the best of me yet though. I can still do more.”

Davide has looked an improved player this season, and he spent last season getting used to the different pace of the English game compared to the way they play in Italy.

And we also have to remember this lad is still only 21 years old, and he has come on a lot since he arrived on Tyneside last summer for £5M from Inter-Milan, and so far has 30 appearances for the side under his belt, and he has made that left-back position his own.

• Graeme

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I would be very happy with a 2-1 win tonight, looking forward to the game – its live here in Nigeria!!

• Brutooon

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM

give him time. even Messi or Ronaldo need time before they are WORLDCLASS like today

• TorqToon

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Jesp – took a little time out mate! Too many people on here on a downer and I can’t be dealing with people like that!

I agree…Pards needs to be be brave, go with the right formation for what we have available! Everton will be expecting a standard 442 formation, yet with a 5 man midfield, any team struggles to get to grips with it, especially with the quality we have there. Marv has to start IMO. He is 2nd only in excitement to HBA and brings something different to the team!

I’m dreading an under par performance and the arrival of all the trolls and negativity again, but I guess being part of the toon army never has been a walk in the park !

• TorqToon

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Graeme – that would set the week off nicely! Love the positivity!

Expat – As worrying as it may seem, I can’t see Timmy leaving to be 2nd choice at any club. But if Barca come in and bid an amount of money that we simply couldn’t turn down, and the deal was right for Krul also, you couldn’t blame the lad for going. Biggest team in the world comes knocking…!

We would take the money and invest it into our next crop of young players and the NEXT up and coming goalkeeper. But do not worry, this is most likely just filler for the daily rags!

• TorqToon

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Great words from Santoooon as well !! And to think, certain ‘fans’ were writing him off in the summer and saying we should cash in on him now as he won’t improve!! Some people should be nowhere near a football blog!

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Torq…I posted on the last thread – Ed’s too fast for me in the morning 😉

• Munster Mag

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I’ll be happier when I see santon getting closer to wingers crossing the ball, and tackling faster….

• arctoa

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I’m not sure what games you’ve been watching this season Ed, but we’ve looked overly cautious in all of them.

As for Santon, he still seems a bit flaky defensively but otherwise he’s been impressive for us; certainly at least on par with Jose Enrique at this stage in his career. I feel he needs a goal or two to help his confidence in the opposing half.

• AmericanGeordie

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM

To put things in perspective for all those Tavernier lovers out there. James is older now at this stage of the season than Santon was last year.

Santon is a PLAYER this is still developing. Tavenier is a prospect that one day COULD turn into a Danny Simpson AT BEST, but still may be turn out to be a Tamas Kadar.