Gutierrez – Pardew Unhappy At Half Time – That’s A Surprise

Newcastle’s captain last night was Jonas Gutierrez,  and in the local press this morning, he has said he was proud to captain the side in such a spirited second half display, and he also said the obvious – the Newcastle manager was not happy at half time.

Alan Pardew being interviewed after the game last night

In the first half last night Alan Pardew has said it was the worst performance by a Newcastle side since he came to Tyneside in December of 2010, and it’s hard to think of another game when we looked so awful and utterly hopeless.

But Alan changed things around at the half, when he brought Demba Ba on for a very quiet and ineffective Sylvain Marveaux, and switched Vurnon Anita and James Perch – and James was much more effective in central midfield, and Vurnon again looked a class act at right-back.

This is what Jonas said today in the local press today:

“The manager was not happy. We changed a few positions, the manager told us to change.” “In the first half, we had a tactic and we changed it.” “It was a good point and we had opportunities in the second half to win.”

“In the first half they were better but in the second half I think we did better than them.” “That is football. This was a fair result for this game – a half went each way.” “We know it is a long, hard season.”

“We have injured players and you saw the players run and work hard, trying to do their best for the team.” “That is what we want – to be together and to work hard. We wanted to take a good result home.”

“I am proud to captain Newcastle and these players.”

It was a positive performance from the lads in the second half – very positive in fact, and just what we needed to ignite the season.

But we still have 6 games to play in the next 19 days with Maritimo coming up on Thursday night in Europe, and Norwich City on Sunday afternoon, and we need two wins out of those two games.

We think we can do that if we play with the skill and passion we showed last night in that second half.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• sammydolan

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM

He looked weird with his hair different!

• TorqToon

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Jesp – I’ve done it again!!!!

Jesp – Just seen it sir. Yeah ed is too quick and for once I managed to keep up! Yeah when you manage to get over, I’m sure me and others will have a nice cold beer waiting for you at Shearers!

I will of course keep an eye out and let you know my ‘findings’!! Haha Did that for Alfi and look where he is now! Going to go and watch Montpelier vs St. ettienne (sp) on Friday so will run the rule over the usual suspect (Yanga Mbiwa) but will try and find the next big thing and bring him back with me!!

• TorqToon

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Guti – Dreamboat #4???

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Hello everybody,

Back online, so I hope you enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Watched the game last night and have mixed feelings. Overall, we got a point, which was a decent result for us.

Those saying the 4-5-1 clearly didn’t work and now 4-4-2 is the way forward…We wont use the same formation every game. These things need to be fluid. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it wont. There is no perfect formation.

Two great finished by Demba, glad to see him back to his normal self.

Two more games this week – we’re being spoiled 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

finishes*

• bollance

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Cabaye has lost a bit of bite in midfield. Maybe he thinks he will miss time one of those ankle biting tackles he put in all the time last season

• Rotonda heights

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

The volume on my stream went ndown just as benny was sprinting away after the disallowed goal and I couldn’t hear why play was pulled back. can anyone enlighten me please.

Also Ibiza is there a thursday game on the box?

• bollance

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Spanish prince

u may agree we shoul leave the formation etc to pards. He is paid a lot of money, has the experience etc to make those decisions. Sometimes u have to line up thinking about how the opposition play in order to counteract their play. Like we needed to counteract Baines. Only took us 45mins to realise that !!

• Rotonda heights

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

bollance

cabs set up Ba’s goal by winning a crunching tackle

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Rotonda….At the time the ref stopping play seemed odd, but on the replay the Everton defender seemed to stop straight away which indicated the fowl had already been given by the ref, although I didn’t hear the whistle until Benny had passed his man. I suppose the other side may have been the ref wasn’t convinced by the goal call and thought it was fair. To be honest, i’m happy with a draw, wouldn’t have been fair to take 3 points, not that I wouldn’t have taken them.

No idea about the Thursday game, i’d imagine there will be a stream though. I kept having to change streams last night, pretty frustrating, but saw enough

• t00ntime

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Rotonda yeah, he pulled it back because: he is a prick…

No but the only thing i can think off is that he knows how close the goal was so just incase he got it wrong he made newcastle ‘miss out’ too. I know thats not how a ref shud do things but its the only thing i can think of, other than he is an idiot. 5/6 bad decsions and tbf it wasnt even a free kick so neither the goal or ben arfa’s run shudnt of happend

• rainrix

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Rotonda… Because he was fouled maybe? He should have played advantage but pulled it back. Likely because he had just disallowed a perfectly good goal and felt guilty ;). Imagine the uproar if benny had scored then and won the game 🙂

• rainrix

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Also the game on thursday is on ESPN here in england, so no doubt someone will start a stream.

• t00ntime

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM

@ibiza true about the defender but if u ask me who is going to win between
    ben arfa+cisse+ba VS 1defender+keeper
    there is only one winner there lol.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Cabaye has looked a bit out of sorts so far this season, but I’m not reading too much in to it. A few players have been out of sorts and whilst 5 points out of 12 isn’t wonderful, seeing as we haven’t been playing anywhere near our potential yet and played Spurs, Chelsea and Everton already, not too shabby.

Bollance….I really like Pardew and think he’s doing a bang up job. Can’t get every game right and generally notices when things aren’t working and alters the plan. Can’t believe what some fans say about him at times.

• bollance

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Rotonda

u r right but throughout the games, especially first half he allowed the players he was marking time on the ball. If u look at his play defensively last season for me a huge strength of cabaye’s was limiting the opposition when they were in possession to the extent that they could no turn to play forward passes and if their first touch was poor he did what I call an ankle biting tackle. u might know what I mean?

Hopefully he will get back to playin like that because that play limited the opposition and also won back possession numerous times last season.

But you are right. If u watch the first goal he was on the player in a flash and won back the ball then capped it off with a pass like the one to cisse against Swansea away last season. Class!!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM

toontime…Indeed. Maybe he just stopped out of fear 🙂

Rainrix….Excellent. Never know, may have to venture out to a bar or something…oh the pains I go through supporting the toon.

• bollance

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Spanish prince

Do u use sopcast? I had problems with it last night and probably for the first time. Gutted as I missed the last 10mins.

• rainrix

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Ibiza.. Will the bars not be dead? Surely party season is winding down now? Not that this is relevant in any way was just curious 😉

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Bollance…I usually start with http://www.footballstreaming.info and try links from there.

Rairix….September is still pretty busy, but not to the same scale as August. Nice to get the Island back to be honest….bloody tourists 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Torq…thanks mare ;D I’ll hold you to that cold beer lol

Ibiza… La bienvenida a usted explotar sexualmente propiedad sucio ;D (is thar even spanish…haha)

• DG MAGPIE

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Off topic… Are we televised on Thursday?

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

*should have said mate there Torq 😉

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Jesper….Something about welcoming me to a sexually exploited dirty property….didn’t know you were familiar with my properties 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Ibiza…Haha 😀 God I really such at Spanish!

…welcome back though (don’t know how to write dirty property pimp in Spanish) ;D

• Rotonda heights

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Thanks for the explanations. You’re right 2 wrongs by the ref don’t make a right

After last night I don’t know what to think about systems any more. Felt shola could have come on 10 mins earlier if we were going with 2 big lads up front.

I guess it is horses for courses from now on. I liked the starting line up and formation but it just didn’t happen for us till Ba came on. Who’d be a manager!!

• Rotonda heights

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

jesper do you such at English too!!

• TorqToon

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

DG – Yes mate. ESPN from 6pm.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

*suck

…what’s wrong with this tablet 🙁 (it cannot spell and it don’t know spanish)

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Rotonda…I’ll stick to the accounting issues of NUFC 😉

Jesper…There is nothing dirty about my pimping! Have I missed much the last few days?

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Does anyone else think that Anita looks better as a RB rather than a CM.?

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Rotonda…sadly I think you’re right!

• TorqToon

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Ibiza – Welcome back my friend! 🙂

I too took a sabbatical in the hole that the neggers would disappear and for now, they seem to have !! Relief!

The question is; which changes should be made for Thursday, given that we have a tough encounter at Maritimo and Norwich at SJP 3 days later?!

• Rotonda heights

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

jesper

blame the tablet, your english is excellent to be fair

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Leazes…I think it comes down to who we’re up against. I didn’t really know much about Anita before he came, so can’t really comment other than the few games I’ve seen him play for us. I would imagine against a team with less physical presence than Everton he’d be a really good CM, wasn’t the right position for him last night though imo.

What impressed me last night was that we were missing 3 of the most important cogs of our defensive unit, Krul, Colo and Tiote. Everton away is never easy and to be missing those players we did reasonably well.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Ibiza…not much, maybe the usual doom and gloom before a game 🙂 but that’s nothing new.

Ruddy Giz was online yesterday on the random newbies were giving him a hard time (Ruddy Jiz was here as well it still using the moniker)

I am usually no on much in the weekends, but decided to vist the blog for once (well I like it better in the week days ;)) lol

• TorqToon

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

NUFC Leaze – at the minute I agree. I think he needs to get used to the speed of the English game and playing in a squad with Cabs and mr T will only aid his development!

Once settled he will be able to add a slight bit more composure to his passing game and look to play the ball out of defence (as a RB) or link up in midfield as a DCM/CM

• bollance

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Next up Europa.

Do we play a sting team to get a win or take a risk with lots of fringe players?

SAF always says u need 9-10 points to progress. Win all three at home and we will go through.

But winning that first game away would give us a bit of leeway and take a lot of pressure off us. Spurs did not get through the group stages last season.

Look at the line up for the u21 team tonight as that should give a good indication of who will be going with the squad tomorrow to Portugal. Especially look out for when campbell comes off. Apart from him I am not sure any other player will be part of our euro team. Possibly Inman as he is on form at present and arguably should be given some minutes.

I think pardew will gamble and play a weak team and do what we did away to the Greek side and hopefully pick up a draw.

Who will we play up top? Shola definitely and possibly with his brother?

Harper

Tav

• TorqToon

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Jesp – I’m with you there! The blog is MUCH better during the week! Weekends – I steer well clear !

• Raj

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

It was indeed a nerve-wrecking match!! And ya, Anita can now be easily put in RB for matches to go.

No one commented on how good was that chest flick-on by Shola which made the goal possible. And I believe, if Krul had been there, both the goals could have been stopped by a more agile and position-aware #1.

Guti says we had a tactic in 1st half, may be we won’t be seeing it too often if it is implemented so poorly. But the idea and the formation was good..

Why not put Ba upfront and Cisse on a withdrawn left-wing/left-forward role?? The 4-2-3-1 should not lose its merit coz of the poor implementation of plans and some sleepy player on pitch.