Magpies Now Need Attacking Play Against Maritimo And Norwich

It was certainly a pulsating second half last night at Goodison Park, after Newcastle finally woke up in the second half, and we had to reach for the bucket and sponge at the end of the game, which saw two dramatic late goals, one from either side, in the last couple of minutes of the game.

Demba Ba scrambles the ball over the line for Magpies’ late equalizer

There were two good goal from Everton that were disallowed las night and so the Everton fans will be claiming they were robbed, but Newcastle also put in an excellent performance in the final 45 minutes to take something out of the game.

Steven Taylor looked good again last night, and he’s looking like he did last season at this time – very good – before an Achilles injury put him out for the season in early December.

Steven Taylor talked on the Newcastle web-site immediately after the game and had this to say:

“We’ve had a look at it and for me it does look like it was past the line so we got lucky.” . “But sometimes you need that. For Newcastle United, a few years ago we wouldn’t have got that.”

“We’ve got players who work hard day in, day out, players who want to get in the team and put pressure on each other. That’s what we need and I think today was just a great example of what a hard team performance is.”

“I think we deserved to maybe even win the game – Hatem Ben Arfa got a good chance as well – and the lads fully deserved it. We worked so hard.” “The first half performance was poor; we came in and I think we were lucky to be 1-0 down but second half we just got at them and we caused them a lot of problems.”

“This is a hard place to come. Every time I’ve came here it’s always been a hard game. I remember a few years ago when we were getting beat 2-0, then me and Damien Duff scored but that’s what it’s like here – it’s so difficult.”

“The ground feels dead tight and they’ve got great supporters here. They’re very well organised and they’re hard to beat.” “I don’t know why it is but we can’t give teams like that a 45 minute head start.” “We did at Chelsea and we were out of the game. “

“Today we got lucky, I think, in the first half – but second half we were fantastic.” “We really got in among them and caused them problems. For all the players we’ve got out injured, the boys who stepped in have done well and we showed our team spirit again.”

“It would’ve been easy for Demba Ba just to sulk about not starting but he came on and turned the game on its head for us.” “He was fantastic when he came on, caused problems and put himself about. He’s a goal machine – even when you play against him in training, he’s a strong fella. You give him half a yard and he’ll score.”

There were a lot of good things Alan Pardew can take out of that second half performance, which is more like the attacking way Newcastle played last season, but Steven’s right, we cannot give teams a start in the first half, and that also cost us in games last season too.

We want to see a much more urgent Newcastle side from the first whistle in our two upcoming games this week – on Thursday night in Madeira against Maritimo in the Europa League, and on Sunday afternoon at home to Norwich City.

There’s no reason why Newcastle cannot get two wins under our belt, and follow on from the second half heroics of last night.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• rainrix

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM

It would help if pards actually has us coming out of the blocks in the 1st halfs rather than the second. Every game we’ve played so far we’ve abysmal in the 1st half and then somewhere near our actual potential in the 2nd.

• Bucks mag

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Agree 100% with Pardew about this result kick starting our season – Cabaye playing well, Demba proving a huge point, all whilst the team displayed our great fighting spirit. We didn’t play that well but getting a result was the most important thing, remember QPR away last season – we were dreadful. Norwich at home is a good game to be playing next, much as I don’t want Hughton to be plunged into a deeper mire. Reserves in against Maritimo, hopefully we’ll snatch a result, then back to SJP to welcome Chris back

• snowdone

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Dear Ed,

Depending on Marveaux’s frame of mind I would play him on Thursday in a free ranging role. If you fall off your bike it’s best to get back on straightaway.

Shola could also do with some game time, as I would like to see him involved on Sunday.

We had four first teamers out on Monday, so the fightback was all the more praiseworthy.

Regards

• TorqToon

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Jesp – You able to get over at all for games? I appreciate it’s not just like hopping on the metro ! I’m unable to get to Maritimo away as I have to fly out to France this afternoon but I’m sure the lads who will travel and support the toon will do us all proud! HWTL

• Ian Toon

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Pushy- your spot on. I couldn’t get away but enjoyed the game ( well second half) on Sky. Cabaye second half was outstanding put in the key tackles and his pass for Ba’s opener was reminiscent of Stoke. Abeid loan move makes sense he should have gone out last season but he resisted the idea . I rate him highly but he does have a habit of sitting back and admiring what he ‘s done- LOL. A bit of hourly burly will do him good – a spell at Preston made AC appreciate what he had at the Toon.

• tequilamag

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Well we certainly rode our luck last night but the spirit shown by the team in the second half could be just the performance to boost the confidence of the players. For those of you slating Pardew yesterday for being gutless for playing 442 have been pretty silent. Whatever he said at half time to produce that performance shows just how good a manager we really have.

• wynsleap

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Would like to see Cisse retained against Maritimo at least for half the game (with Ba) as he really needs a goal to get himself up and running.
    Could also be a good opportunity for Obertan to gain some confidence (and maybe a first team spot) and really fly at the opposition. Think we need some more pace up front and the supporters to give him a fair crack of the whip.
    Would also like to see Campbell have a half hour or more up front with Shola (maybe second half).
    A good result in Europe on Thursday and 3 points against the Canaries and things could look much brighter. I do agree, however, that we need a dominant central defender in the January window – but how many time have we said that?
    Finally I hope Saylor looks at that Anichebe goal again as his defending was pretty poor and Anichebe made it look so easy.

• woolerbill

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM

You can only put that bad first half down to the manager, you got it wrong again Alan. It’s time to wise up

• tequilamag

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM

The overwhelming majority of posters wanted him to drop 442 which he did in the first half. You could give him a little credit for making the changes he did Woolerbill.

• Pushy Pardew

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM

woolerbill
    Clueless!!

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Torq…I didn’t realize you’d moved on 😀 I answered your post on the last thread mate

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Cisse is like Cabaye, on the verge of running into a purple patch form. The goals will shortly start to flow, with a bit of luck he’d have had 3 or 4 already this season. Despite the miss, that volley last night was technically excellent. Only a matter of time.

• TorqToon

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Jesp – Just seen it sir. Yeah ed is too quick and for once I managed to keep up! 🙂 Yeah when you manage to get over, I’m sure me and others will have a nice cold beer waiting for you at Shearers! 🙂

I will of course keep an eye out and let you know my ‘findings’!! Haha Did that for Alfi and look where he is now! 🙂 Going to go and watch Montpelier vs St. ettienne (sp) on Friday so will run the rule over the usual suspect (Yanga Mbiwa) but will try and find the next big thing and bring him back with me!! 🙂