Adam Campbell And Mehdi Abeid On Plane To Madeira

News today that both Senegal strikers Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse did not make the trip today to the island of Madeira, for the Europa League game tomorrow night against Maritimo.

Adam Campbell – young striker is on the plane to Portugal today

But 17 year-old Adam Campbell is on the plane, and he could see himself pick up another senior appearance for the club tomorrow night.

Adam scored one of Newcastle’s goals in yesterday 2-2 draw with Sunderland,  and 20 year-old Brad Inman got the other goal, and that’s five goals the Australian has scored for the Newcastle U21 side this season.

Other players on the plane today include veteran goalkeeper Steve Harper, Shola Ameobi, Mehdi Abeid, Shane Ferguson, Sammy Ameobi and Steven Taylor.

Sammy tweeted it’s the best plan he’s ever been on (how many has he been on?), and Adam Campbell tweeted last night he scored one, but should have had three goals for Newcastle against Sunderland yesterday.

Shola is almost certain to start up front for Newcastle tomorrow night,  after recovering from his hamstring strain, and setting up Demba Ba’s dramatic last ditch equalizer at Goodison Park on Monday night.

It would also be good to see Mehdi Abeid get a chance tomorrow night, and he’s hardly figured in the 18 man first team squads this season at all, and needs an opportunity to show what he can do in a Newcastle shirt.

We’ll take a guess at the side for tomorrow night later today or early tomorrow morning – what do you think it will be?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Abeid played righ back last night for anyone interested

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM

S’land played a strong team last night,

Vaughan – Welsh int.
    Saha – former french
    Ji – Korean u21 if not full
    Wickham – u21 int.
    Kilgalon – former u21 int.

But we still picked up a 2-2 draw.

I would have liked Inman to have gone. He has 5 goals this season from right wing. I would suggest he has a future at the club because non stikers who can score regularly are very valuble to any team.

• Carryingcoals

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Harper
    Tav Saylor Willo Fergie
    Obertan Bigi Gosling Marveaux
    Shola Sammy

?

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Ed- If only everyone had your Joie de Vivre. These are indeed exciting times for all Toon fans it’s just that far too many haven’t yet realised it yet.
    Bollance- and Fergie was left back and Gosling an emergency CB when Richardson was injured. Inman was the pick for me.

• Krul to be Kind

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

repost from previous thread:
    I have said before that i’m very happy and positive with the signings made, people don’t really want to acknowledge the fact that we made 3 substantial signings that are fundamental to the growth and sustainability of the squad in Amal, Good and Bigi, with the wealth of talent we have coming through big purchases would hinder their development and path to the first team, there is already uproar in the thought of Abied going on loan but he is possibly the next one to break though but IMO he is being held back due to the impact Bigi has made in such a short space of time, this kid will be immense and dare i say it, is a ready made replacement for Tiote when he goes to the ACON (with any luck it’s not the 2 Dembas). If anything Monday night at Everton taught us that a few players have progressed even further from last season, most notably Perch with his new found confidence he looked very assured on the ball when just 2 seasons ago he looked like a pub team player! That is all and thanks for listening… TTBAWA

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Ian Toon

Did you go?

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Ian Toon

Yes it would appear we are short on numbers at the back for the u21 team.

We have Street and Kitchen out injured and it would appear the u18s are not up to standard yet.

Look out for Kitchen, seen him play. Still developing physically but defends well like Saylor. Everyone talks about Streete but this guy has potential too.

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Cisse is ill again for a Euro game..

He is a bit sick of the Europa 😉

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Does anybody know how Maritimo plays; both style and level?

I just saw our team rooster for the trip and wonder since it is a bit lightweight in my opinion…

So have the rumors started since neither Ba nor Cisse made the final cut? 😉

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

* sorry team roster (there is no rooster allowed in here says Ed ;)) lol

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM

jesper

The fact they have only an 5k capacity stadium and they average around 3-4k per game.

What is that, about a league 2 number?

But they came 5th in the portugues league, not bad with teams like, Porto, Benfica, Sporting and Braga. So they are the best lesser known team.

I still feel we will have too much for them as ou defense will be strong and we will have players like Marv, Shola (lots of experience in Europe) and even Fergie or Sami may shine on this stage.

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Newcastle is a big club with a massive and passionate fan base, any idea that we just make hay while the sun shines is underselling the club. We are not punching above our weight, we have a side we deserve and that has not always been the case and there is potentially much more to come and the management of the club is surely not above a little healthy criticism along the way.

• Carryingcoals

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

jawballsaswallwell… here, here!

• TorqToon

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Would like to see a Shola/Campbell front pairing !!!

• Grafton83

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Even with the youngsters we should be smashing this 3-0 easily, they’re virtual unknowns on an island in the middle of nowhere.

I would start sami, campbell and vukic if it were up to me. I would rather put a plant pot on the pitch than have marveux unless he has miraculously had a change of form since his last game.

• cupiddstunt

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Bollance @ # 24 of previous thread

If the whispers about shitty being interested in Collo were to happen I can see an already mean defence becoming a lot meaner. 🙂

• Grafton83

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

@TorqToon, thats a classic target man/fast striker combo. I think it’d work well with Sholas expirence. Hope we see it

• cyprus

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Where’s the real Marveaux? See video below:

Hope his long term injury hasn’t taking that out of him, he really was out of it at Everton.

• cupiddstunt

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Grafton83 @ # 15

I do like your parallel with Maritimo and “they’re virtual unknowns on an island in the middle of nowhere.
    Even if they did finish 5th in the Portuguese league I still think that only translates to mid table championship at best.”

There is a team that is made up of players that came from almost unheard of clubs and as youngsters a huge number of them were so poor that they did not even have the money for boots and such, but they persevered and worked their way up to playing for their local clubs they now play for BRASIL.

I think what I am trying to say is, to write them off so simply is something I really hope the club DOES NOT DO. 😉

• Grafton83

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM

@Cupidstunt
    Don’t get me wrong that would not be in my team talk if I were manager. They need to take the fixture seriously ofcourse. I’m just pointing out they are rubbish on paper. I think they’ll be worse than Atrimitos and even Obertan looked good against them.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Girl, you thought he was a man, but he was a muffin.

• cupiddstunt

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Grafton83 @ # 20

I understand where you are coming from but it is the simplest mistake to make in underestimating an opponent, Atrimitos were not greatest but they did have one good break against us and the ball was in the net and we came away with a draw.

I may well be so far off the point that I am in another post code but I think they will have a little more technical ability about them I think the Portuguese play along the lines of the Spanish so we may have a harder game than you anticipate.

Although I will be more than happy if your categorising proves correct. 🙂

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Cupid

It would make sense city being interested in colo. they don’t care about buying for future and colo was in team of the season in the prem.

They bought maicon. Not sure he is a top top full back. Ok, he is Brazilian pedigree but from what I have seen of him for city I am not sure yet.

Anyway we kept colo. good move as he is a top class defender and we need him so the team succeeds again this season

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Not waving but drowning.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Back! Bloomin’ ibiza internet.

Really looking forward to the game tomorrow.

As for someone’s comment early about the “pep talk” (let’s get in to EL, then play the B team and not care if we lose)….Bit silly, don’t you think?

From what I understand the money for being in the EL is next to nothing. So Ashley was never going to fund the additional players to compete in this competition. PL has to be out priority, unless you’re saying 100% you think we’ll win the EL tournament (there is an outside chance, but we know how these things go, even with a full strength team)…it’s too much of a risk.

Build slowly, keep out top 6 status (which get’s us Europe again), attracting more players and pushing to improve the overall squad and efficiently compete across the board.

This is my opinion only, but I do find some of your expectations to be completely unrealistic….and this is coming from an optimist.

So, anything new going down?

• Hebburn Mag

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Im not saying that this story is untrue but didnt Campbell play last night at SJP for the reserves? Surely Pardew wouldnt fly him out to play tonight? 2 games in 2 days would be tough for any professional footballer never mind a young 17 year old. If he has gone with the squad I think its probably to show him where he could be playing if he keeps up his hard work.

• rainrix

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Cyprus.. No one played well in the 1st half against everton in case you forgot.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Bollance- I don’t think I’ve seen. Kitchen play. I remember a while ago the chronicle doing a piece on him. He was an academy player who got a serious injury but is on the comeback trail. I’ll look out for him. What do you think of Good so far?

• Grafton83

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Ibiza I think you mean keep our top 6 status but your comment reads as if we should keep out of top 6.

If we do finish in any kind of Euro qualifying position I will be over the moon. I don’t see the point in being an optimist or a pessimist when it comes to predicting our final finishing position so I’ll just call it as I see it: 7th-8th.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Hebburn, It’s tomorrow and I would imagine he’ll start on the bench, but give us an option of pace for the last 15-20 minutes. I would imagine an Ameobi double feature….oh yeah.

Isn’t Shola our most established and successful European striker on our books? Come on Mackem Slayer!

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Hebburn Mag- I posted earlier this morning to suggest that Cambell played for the reserves with a game in mind on Thursday. Depending on circumstances Campbell will play. He’s had two quiet games last Friday and yesterday for the reserves- he’ll be fine the adrenalin alone would get him through. LOL.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Grafton….. 🙂 Yes – it should have read “keep OUR top 6 status”.

7th – 8th would be a reasonable expectation, I’m pretty confident that the aim is to qualify again, for me, if we didn’t it would be a backwards step to not…but these things do happen

• toonLYF

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM

we’re being spoilt this week lads, Ameobi’s al’ owa’ the shop.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Maritimo i am reliably informed drew with Sporting Lisbon on Sunday and created enough chances to have won comfortably. Good going forward. – we should not underestimate them particularly with a side that will not have played together very often.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Ibiza- Good afternoon i hope your well. As the conductor of the orchestra you should be wielding yellow and red cards to friend and foe alike. Cash incentive( I’ll organise the wip round) for a thorough clean up – I’ll draw up the terms of reference.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Ian…From my years as a Newcastle fan, it’s never good to underestimate a team – we can be suicidal 🙂 If we turn up, I am confident, but that for me is the issue.

LYF…”Ameobi to Ameobi. Ameobi plays it back to Ameobi and Ameobi shoots. Goal Ameobi with an assist from Ameobi”…Can’t wait!

• numba9

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Play the ameobi bros up top for the first 45 then bring young Adam on to smash them for pace with Benny behind pickin up pieces to create

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Ian….Doing very well thank you, as I hope you are too. If I am the conductor, I think I need firing. So out of tune it’s frightening 🙂 However, I look forward to receiving said terms of reference 😉

• toonLYF

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM

i would like (and somewhat expect due to sammy not being 100% yet, and taking Norwich into consideration)…

———————Harper———————

Tavernier—Perch—Williamson—-Ferguson

Obertan—-Bigirimana—Abeid—–Marveaux

—————Shola—–Campbell————–

…only the goalkeeper is needed to start on Sunday, seems ideal, and strong enough seeing as this Maritimo seem about as good as a Championship team (and not a promotion candidate one either)

Shola and Campbell could be terrific too…and i’m expecting Obertan to make a huge difference in Europe for us, he seems hungry.

• Hebburn Mag

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Sorry lads I meant tomorrow not tonight, this weeks going to way to slow!

Like I say though I cant see him playing but id love to see him get even 10-15 minutes at the end of the game. The way it looks like Pardew is playing it is that he going to put a fairly strong team out against the opposition in the away legs with the addition of a few youngsters but when we play the home legs hes going to go all out with a number of first team regulars. Either way aslong as we win I dont mind!

1 2 3 7