Everton Draw Could Change The Season For Newcastle

The draw on Monday night at Everton will do what would have happened if that tremendous Yohan Cabaye free kick had gone on, in the last minute of the game against Aston Villa and given us the win.  The Everton draw and our great comeback in that second half will give our players great confidence.

Alan Pardew – Everton result could be a season changer for us

Yes we know all the reporting yesterday was about how Everton were robbed,  and should have had two goals that were disallowed, but Newcastle also had chances that we missed,  which could have even won the game for us.

Papiss Cisse had two decent chances where normally he would have put the ball into the back of the net, and Ben Arfa had a golden opportunity with the scores level at 1-1 after 85 minutes, when he had only the goalkeeper to beat.

That could have been 2-1 with five minutes to play.

We’re sure things are upbeat at the Newcastle training ground at the moment, and now we have to win our next two games coming up over the next four days.

Alan Pardew thinks the Everton draw could change the season for us , much like that great 1-0 win at Sunderland on August 20th last year, gave our lads tremendous confidence.

This is what Alan said in the local press today:

“It could be a season-changer for us.” “We all know we aren’t playing with our true fluidity and we aren’t going to without five of our best players.”

“If we can keep scrapping like that and picking up points and hopefully get a win against Norwich, then they’ll all be back and we’ll look sharper.”

“It is a massive result for the football club. I don’t know how important.” “If we’d have lost with two minutes to go it would have really hurt us.”

“And actually to pull it back lifted everybody.” “We know were aren’t playing with the same panache as last season.”

Its a long time since Newcastle played they way we did in that first half, when the side looked to be lack confidence and were hesitant and unsure at best.

But a good rollicking by the manager at half time seemed to do the trick, and not for the first time at Newcastle, Alan Pardew switched things around in that second half and his changes worked like a charm.

But we cannot play so poorly in the first half against Norwich City on Sunday at St. James’ Park, and all 3 points will be very important for us to keep the new found momentum going.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Definitely, we were headed for a hiding but dragged our arses back into the game. I was really heartened by the performance.

• Toonboy_84

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM

@1

Completely agree with that post. Thank god Ba had a bee in his bonnet, so to speak.

• check the toastie

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM

What has happened to Mr T?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM

For me, that is a big difference with this team. Even when not playing well, we still manage to claw something back, even if it is only a point and arguably not deserved. All teams have off periods, it’s getting stuck in when that happens which separates teams. Still need to work on our coming from behind to win games though, but for now, I’ll take a draw.

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I’m off, it’s 8pm here in Aussie and QI is on the telly.

They’ve got the first team out and all fully fit – Johnny Vegas, Jimmy Carr, Phil jupitus, Alan Davies and the ubiquitous Stephen Fry, who’s never off the fu@#%n box here.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Jesper- can’t get it out of my head-LOL
    Munster Mag- you judge players on a fixed mindset. Classy players eg Cabaye, HBA,Santon can have ordinary/ to poor games. I try not to have a preconceived rating in my head. On Gosling I gave him 7/10. Likewise Abeid although I always want to over mark him because he’s class. QED.

• Munster Mag

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM

There is definitely an issue with Ba, but this was something a few of us mentioned would happen months ago. If Pards tried to play 1 up front and Ba move to the left, he will leave. I dont have any issues with 4-4-2 provided we try to squeeze the game a bit. Every formation offers problems, even my ingenious sweeper system that brings out strengths all over the pitch…..far more depends on the players energy and attitude. My clever team ( post Jan, when we invest! )

Krul
    Colo ( sweeper )
    Taylor and a commanding centre half
    Right wing back – Anita
    Left wing back – Santon ( cant defend anyway!)
    M – Tiote + Cabaye
    In the hole – Ben Arfa
    Strikers – Cisse and Ba

The formation releases creativity all over the pitch and allows Colo to step out to defensive midfield if needed. It keeps Ben Arfa central and pushed forward, and allows Cabaye to move forward and also track back. It provides width , and keeps both strikers central.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Pushy
    No can’t get away trying to reorganise for Norwich-LOL

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Pushy- apart from can’t afford another trip. Might manage some home Europa in October.

• rainrix

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

What annoys me is we’ve started slow in all games this season and then played well in the 2nd. Almost the polar opposite of last season when we would start fast and finish slow. I don’t know if this is down to pards or some underlying factor but we really need to sort it out sharpish.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Repost…(Sorry)

Munster…Sorry, I’m obviously not making myself clear and really not trying to put a spin on anything, nor offering my opinion on it. I was merely asking whether Jail (and now you) think that if we had sold someone this summer, do you think the club would then feel ok in raising their offers (whether or not you think they had the money or should have anyway)? I hope this is clear now, not really sure how to make it more so.

• Munster Mag

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Ibiza, i read your last post and see what you mean now. In answer, no , had we sold somone, I dont think Ashley would have upped the offers for Debuchy etc. His balls are too hard. I also said earlier in the summer that we might be better off making sensible offers for good players like Debuchy and gain ourselves a reputation as a fair club to deal with, instead of making derisory 3m offers and being publicly laughed at ( I’ll bet Pards was impressed ) . People see through Ashley now, and bargains like Tiote are fairly rare. We gor fair money for Best and we might be better served ( and not bankrupted ) by offering proper money for proper players. Ok I’ll try not to witter on about this issue any more – I just felt there was too much protectionism of Ashley on this site all summer especially towards the end when investment was looking less likely. I respect much of what he has done, although I would love to know how much research etc was put in to the appointment of Pards? Was it luck, casino friendship or Pards ability to sell a vision of a mini arsenal ? Either way, I’m not that unhappy, just in a grumpy mood generally.

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Munster

Your team is very attacking. Probably if we played that week in week out we would score lots but also concede lots too. It would be like the keegan days.

I would argue we are getting to the stage that our attack is better then most and our defense is also better then most. We could give it a go against weaker teams like Norwich then revert to a more conservative team against the better teams to minimise their attacking threat.

However, pards is mr conservative, most of the time.

• nufc 11

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Maybe its something in the warm up or something but we start games at a snails pace sometimes you dont get a second chance you can be dead and buried if you dnt start well AP needs to address this.

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I’m keeping an eye on the telly and the blog, Munster a healthy skepticism I would call it rather than a grumpy mood generally.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Munster Mag- Your I told you so style of posting . The team loses when your right. Why should we lose Jimmy Magpie devastating the whole back up squad yesterday only to acquire your “. As I said at the party conference” I don’t wish to be disrespectful but just enjoy the good times at the Toon. Pardew said the other evening to a travelling fan at the Everton game that these are exciting times to be a fan . Just lighten up. Please.

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Munster

Despite injuries we have Perch and Anita who can fill in at RB.

Perch was exposed against Everton because Marv never (if u dont beleive me watch the first half again vs everton) picked up Baines. I was furious watching it.

It is so basic to follow your man or ensure someone picks him up. Marv did neither so perch was left 2 on one all 1st half.

That changed 2nd half becaue Guti knows how to defend. Him and Anita had Baines and Pinaar in their back pockets. Excellent example of how to defend against winger plus attacking full back.

Watched game last night. Marcello for me best player on the pitch. What a player. He got past Maicon so many times by passing and moving. Nobody could defend against that performance. Incredible! Anyone else think he should have been motm? (maybe he was, not sure???

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Munster…Glad to hear I haven’t lost the ability to write properly. I would have liked a few more bodies in too. I just don’t know the full story and given the good that has been evident, to me at least, willing to give the club the benefit of doubt for now. I don’t know how the Carr recommendations work, does he give a top value or give information as to whether offer up to this much now, but next season they will be valued at x (possibly lower due to contract situation etc). I just don’t know. I do expect signings in January and have to hope that no big disasters occur before then.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Munster- it’s only because I view you as not being a hopeless case that you don’t get.
    Clueless!,
    Enjoy the rest of your day, mate.

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Munster

Pards said time and time again. If a player moved we had a replacement.

Maybe we were waiting for an offer that never came for Simo.. It would make sense.

Why buy another full back if we already have so many who can play that position and in fact we signed an int. full back in Anita

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Munster- and don’t you keep giving Ibiza a hard time.

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, it is a fantastic time to be a Toon fan, I don’t think I’ve known better, but the points Munster Mag raise are at least plausible and interesting to consider. I think you can do both.

• Carryingcoals

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM

@ bollance – yes Marcelo was incredible agreed.

I’ve only logged in to ask you all about Demba Ba if anyone knows anything…

Apparently he isn’t travelling to Portugal and won’t feature? Is this because of an injury/to keep him fit for Norwich OR is it Pardew’s response to Demba’s post match interview and agent?

I wouldn’t have expected him to start tonight but I would have thought he’d be on the bench?

carryingcoals.com

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Ibiza

According to Pards this is how the transfers work.

Carr compiles a list of top 3-5 players in each position and lists them in order of potential. We then have a transfer committee i presume who discuss things like, market value, potential value in the future.

We then speak to clubs and agents to find out club valuation and wages. If too high then move on. In the mean time Pards goes on personal scouting missions to see player for himself. Remember in March – May when pards watched Ajax play. Everyone said he was watching Vertongen or Alderweild. I said Anita because i though we may sign a left back and thought he played left back that game but he was playing DM.

Then if we like the player we pass it on to Charnley and DL to sign then on the best deal for the club.

We apparently had offers (according to press) for,

Douglas – we may sign on a free at end of the season.
    Tiovenen
    Debuchy

Now think that we had strong links for the following of our players,

Collo – Man City
    Santon – Roma (admitted by player)
    Ba – release clause
    Simo – Guthrie told Reading to sign him
    Tiote /Cabaye – the top 4

So we had replacements lined up if any of the above had been sold.

• cyprus

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Pep talk at beginning of season:
    “So here’s the goal: Let’s fight to get into Europe and then we’ll play the b team and we won’t care if we lose! Who’s in?”

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Carryingcoals

Is it not obviously because we are saving Cisse and Ba for Norwich. Goals win games and we need a result agaisnt Norwich.

The league is the priority.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Jaw- We are where we are. Players/fans need to get on with it in a positive way. Take your eyes of the telly and repeat after me ” We are going to have a wonderful, enjoyable and successful season and I will remember Rome wasn’t built in a day” Now don’t you feel a whole lot better.

• bollance

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM

cyprus

Disagree.

I may be wrong but i beleive we will play a weaker team away so we can play a stronger team at home. We only need 3 wins and maybe a draw to get through. Win all at home and we are through.

I honestly beleive too that our B team will be strong enough to keep a clean sheet tomorrow so we should be looking at a draw at least.

Pards will play a strong defense, possibly because he has no other choice but given the squad going to portugal we will be strong at the back and have players with a point to prove in mid and att.

• Carryingcoals

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Bollance

I’m well aware of the league being the priority and of goals winning games, however I still find it strange that Ba won’t be on the bench. For example we had Cabaye and Cisse on the bench against Atromitos albeit they didn’t come on. This happens quite regularly with Premier League starters being on the bench for ties of lesser importance, they are there just in case.

I wondered if there was any news on the Pardew/Ba relationship.

• Krul to be Kind

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I have said before that i’m very happy and positive with the signings made, people don’t really want to acknowledge the fact that we made 3 substantial signings that are fundamental to the growth and sustainability of the squad in Amal, Good and Bigi, with the wealth of talent we have coming through big purchases would hinder their development and path to the first team, there is already uproar in the thought of Abied going on loan but he is possibly the next one to break though but IMO he is being held back due to the impact Bigi has made in such a short space of time, this kid will be immense and dare i say it, is a ready made replacement for Tiote when he goes to the ACON (with any luck it’s not the 2 Dembas). If anything Monday night at Everton taught us that a few players have progressed even further from last season, most notably Perch with his new found confidence he looked very assured on the ball when just 2 seasons ago he looked like a pub team player! That is all and thanks for listening… TTBAWA

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ian I am hoping for and even anticipating a wonderful and successful season and regardless I will enjoy it immensely, I have so far. but this is the Toon, there will be internal politics and there will be melodrama and if there isn’t some of us will speculate about it anyway because we enjoy it. I think you’ll just have to wear it.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Sorry, internet died on me.

Ian…I appreciate the back up. Munster is a decent poster, just disappointed with the summers activity (and yes, we have banged heads over this a few times) 🙂

Bollance….Cheers. I remember hearing about that, so it would be fair to assume that Pardew and Carr have some say as to valuations during the committee meeting? So we don’t really know where the low valuations are coming from, although, it is reasonable enough to assume that it comes from Mr Sports Direct – although, not a fact.

• Munster Mag

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Ian, I honestly dont know what you’re talking about ? Myself and Ibiza have discussed this many times and respect each others opinion and can see validity in both. I think the Toon can have a decent season, but feel and felt we needed investment. Its not all doom here at all, although I admit to thinking we’d be hammered by Everton. Wassap man ?

• Marty-Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM

It’s not that long ago we played that poorly,last season at Spuds an Fulham was it

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Jaw- it’s not a question of wearing it! It’s a desire not to return to the bad old days of everything being turned into a major drama.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM

s sense.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM

We want to be a big club that qualifies for Europe year after year. I like to think that were on a mission to build the club from the grass roots. Pardew is doing a good job on the playing side and the fans need to build their own sense of pride and support in the club. Only then can we collectively grow- our support can make a difference. You know it makes sense. Were all in this together.

• Ian Toon

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Ibiza- sorry on a mobile. Just protecting your back we can’t afford to lose another stalwart.