Maritimo vs Newcastle – Match Preview

Newcastle will try to get off to a good start in their Europa League group tonight, when they take on Maritimo in Madeira  at 6:00 pm Newcastle time. Madeira is of course famous for cake and wine, and they go well together, along with a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale. 😀

Alan Pardew has left both Senegal strikers Ba and Cisse behind, with Papiss  Cisse said to have a virus, and French internationals Yohan Cabaye and Ben Arfa are also not in the squad.

This is Ben Arfa’s final game of a three match suspension he picked up when he was at Marseilles in early 2010.

And of course we have injuries to Ryan Taylor, Danny Simpson, Fab Coloccini and Tim Krul, so that’s quite a lot of experienced players not in the squad tonight.

This is the 19 man squad that made the trip yesterday:

Mehdi Abeid, Romain Amalfitano, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Gael Bigirimana, Adam Campbell, Rob Elliot, Shane Ferguson, Dan Gosling, Steve Harper, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, James Perch, Davide Santon, James Tavernier, Steven Taylor, Haris Vuckic, Mike Williamson

And it’s anybody’s guess what the starting eleven will be, but we expect the team to be something like this:

Harper
Perch Williamson Taylor(S) Ferguson
Obertan Bigirimana Anita Amalfitano
Ameobi (Sh) Vuckic

Subs: Elliot Santon Tavernier Abeid Campbell Gosling Ameobi (Sa)

Shola Ameobi will wear the captain’s armband tonight, and could be an important player too, as he looks to be in top form with Alan Pardew saying he’s looked terrific in training.

There could be some changes to that team with Tavernier, Dan Gosling and Sammy Ameobi possibly in the starting line-up.

And we expect that 17 year-old Adam Campbell could see some playing time in the second half, and the local lad has been in outstanding form for the Newcastle U21 side this season.

The keys to the game are that Newcastle can be solid in defense, and especially against the Maritimo set-plays – which are apparently very good.

And that we can put the ball in the net, and we’ll look initially to Shola Ameobi and Haris Vuckic to do that, and of course Haris scored the winning goal at home to Atromitos, which got Newcastle into the group stages of the competition.

Both clubs finished in 5th place in their respective leagues last season, and Alan Pardew made it clear at his press conference yesterday, that the Premier League was Newcastle’s biggest priority this season – how many time have we head that one – but that he would pick a team that could win this game.

And at the end of the press conference, Alan was asked if he was going for the win and Alan said this – which is almost like poetry:

“We always come to win – we are Newcastle United.”

Let’s hope we can indeed get the win and all 3 points tonight.

Let us know how you think we’ll fare tonight,  and what you think the team will be.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Maritimo?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• CisseIsALegend

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM

This is what we should be talking about, not demba ba and how he might be leaving in 4 months

• pawl250

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I think a repost in needed for those that didnt see confirmation from Ba himself!

pawl250 // Sep 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Look at Twitter 5 minutes ago!

“I AM HAPPY WHERE I AM FRIEND. HOW CAN I NOT BE? I PLAY FOR NEWCASTLE”

This is basically the post made by Demba Ba himself, not his agent, not his aunty, not his hamster! NOW PLEASE CAN WE STOP REPOSTING THE SAME NEWS OVER AND OVER!

Sorry for the CAPS but sometimes people just have a melt down when all it is really is agent/paper talk which really is GARBAGE!

• 89Norcal

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Can’t wait! A matchup that will surely overshadow the likes of Real Madrid v Man City and Chelsea v Juve 🙂

• JAMSHA

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:37 AM

vote win..but always a tough game

• pawl250

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

CisseaLegend – Agreed! Ba story is fabrication over greed by his agent, not Ba himself now lets move on.

Markcus – It is 7m. It hasnt been confirmed obviously but it is 7m, whether you choose to believe me is up to you. I also knew before yesterday and Pardew comments the clause was still active.

• IITianToon

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Is the match being televised… Jamsha any Indian channel showing this?

• CisseIsALegend

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM

@6
    It’s on espn

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, it a sad dose of reality, we wait so long to get back into Europe only to get a bunch of Portuguese journeymen that play in front of a Darlo size crowd, and Chelsea are the Champions league winners, No justice in this god forsaken world.

• Grafton83

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Really hoping for a win and a late Adam Campbell goal would also be nice

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM

match is being televised live on ten sports in India match starts at 9-30 pm IST

• pawl250

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I would like

Harper
    Tav Willo Perch Ferg
    Obertan Bigi Gosling Marveaux
    Ameobi Campbell

But think it will be

Harper
    Tav Willo Perch Santon
    Bigi Gosling Anita
    Obertan Shola Marvauex

• TorqToon

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Can we put speculation to bed now please! From the horses mouth – not money grabbing agent speak!

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM

On a lighter note I had a crazy dream last night.

I was somehow in the newcastle squad. PLayed as a CM. Was very much in the Kevin Nolan mould. Not a world beater but none the less a good contributor to the team. Played it simple. Strong defensively and chipped in with the odd assist and goal. I was excellent at delivering diagonal airballs to Ba and Cisse and picking out keen passes. A real playmaker.

For some reason I was late to a match and turned up at half time for a fixture against Sheffield Wednesday. Pardew of course was livid but said he would speak to me after the game. I was tired. Forgotten why i was late but whatever it was had drained me. For some reason Hillsborough had fallen into a terrible state. The pitch was woeful. One stand had completely disappeared and been replaced by bleachers.

So time came around the 60th minute and Pardew put me on for Obertan. Obertan did not look happy about the substitution. I came on we were 2-1 up and BOY did i struggle. I just about prevented a goal from crossing the line. That performance almost ended my career with Newcastle.

Then I woke up.

• TorqToon

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Apology’s Pawl – didn’t read that you had already posted the quote.

Does that mean IM guilty of re-posting the same news now? 🙂

Jesp – I cursed it mate. The rain has arrived after I went on about how nice a morning it was over here! 🙂

Looking forward to tonight – I feel a win coming on and would love for the NEW AC to shine! HWTL

• jimmymagpie

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Jonas is also injured, so he’ll have to be careful with his selection with Sunday in mind. It would be a hell of a risk to play Taylor, for example,and Anita, because if anything happened to them, we really would be in deep sh-t!

• TorqToon

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Jimmy – I agree. It’s a delicate balance. We should go ‘Sunday league’ on this thing, go all out to begin with, tie the game up in the first 35mins then bring on the fringe players whilst the others sit on the sideline and crack open a brown ale! 🙂

• WorJordi

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I think we will win tonight and it will be a bit like the pre-season friendlies.
    Its good that AP will select squad players as this can only improve their individual experience which can in turn only bode well for the team
    I would like to see Anita and Perch in their second half positions at Everton and play Shola upfront with young Campbell alongside him. I reckon that would be a great pairing for this game.
    It may also give other strikers something to think about.
    The shirt/the club/ the team….. They are the important things.
    We will I think trundle along through the Europa league and then come the knockout stages we will be firing on all cylinders and win the trophy !!!!
    I would like to see a line up like…
    Harper
    Anita Tavernier Willo Santon
    Gosling Bigi Perch Marveaux
    Campbell Shola
    Good enough to beat this opposition and a chance to view alternatives should injuries/ACON etc arise.

• jimmymagpie

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Torq – I’m in the camp who thinks that this competition is a pain in the a-se for British clubs. There are no great financial rewards, and it’s alright for the other Europeans to put out strong sides, they don’t play the number of league games we do, or anything like the bloody Carling Cup next week, and they nearly all get mid-winter breaks.For clubs like NUFC, with small senior squads, it’s a recipe for disaster if you play first-teamers. Stoke, Fulham, Everton, and Spurs, all paid the price with their league form, and I fear we might go the same way. I disrupts the whole club, some medics have gone to Madeira with the team, others, like my mate, have had to stay behind to treat the many doubts we already have ahead of Norwich.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Jimmy…maybe Pardew will rest Marv tonite if Jonas is injured?

… know he didn’t have a great game against Everton, but who had in the first half?

Torq…hope I didn’t jinx the weather 😉 or maybe you did that all by yourself lol

So will we win tonite – hard to say really. It’s a young, inexperienced team so anything could happen. Hope vuckic and alfi starts tonite.

A cursion to Pardew: If Maritimo comes down the wing anyway like Everton did, please remove Perch from RB ASAP 🙂

Disclaimer: That doesn’t mean I don’t like Perch or disrespect him in any way (know someone is just going to have a remark about that)

• Transfer Sage

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Jimmy

Actually we play a similar amount of games to the Spanish and Italian sides

Also stokes league form was only one place worse when in Europa and spurs went from 5th to 4th so not caused then too many problems.

Surely its Lnice I see the boys in Europe

• bollance

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Grafton83

Hope your bet comes off, I’ll have my fingers crossed for u!

• Jonny

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

No disrespect to Demba because i rate him very highly, but he was playing at West Ham before us, he then had a medical at Stoke and failed. He is at a club that is the fifth best team in the league and i highly doubt that he would get in any of the teams above us. SO i think he should keep quiet and keep scoring the goals because he doesn’t want to end up like Jose or AC.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM

When is Simmo back?

For all the doubters on here, we saw how shaky our defence is without him.

I really hope Vuckic can come through this year. He is the type of player our attack lacks.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM

jesperfuglsang

Perch is great at breaking up play and playing a sweeper role. But he proved last season he is far better at CDM then at RB. He just isnt a RB, too slow, not a good enough tackler.

• bollance

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Jimmy

It’s another competition which we have a chance in, stranger things have happened!

I suspect we are about in the top 20 clubs in europe at present. Now take out the champs league clubs who do not enter after the group stages.

We will be around in the top 10 teams in the competition. Not great odds but we have a chance. Plus we don’t have too tough a group but lest we forget, spurs fell at the first hurdle last season!

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Repost

@martoon

I don’t care if it’s rumours bout the money shit, everyone’s seen the way Ba takes a strop if he doesn’t start one f***ing game, u don’t see perchinio or anyone else at our club doing that, he’s only gonna disrupt the mood in the changing room. Yes I do call myself a supporter, a very loyal one aswell, been going to games since a was a toddler, I live and breath for football, wouldn’t change team if they got relegated to blue square premier.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Jimmy…don’t feel sorry for the British clubs. The rich greedy clubs in England created the PL in order to get more TV revenue and so forth. Scramb the Carling Cup for PL teams, cut 4 teams from the PL and probelm solved.

How many clubs outside the EPL get between £30-40M in TV revenue? You have nothing to complain about mate ;D

NB: I do agree the money in the EL is laughable.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Oh and I’m calling it now. Erik Pieters will sign come January.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:31 PM

LGFAUD…and his positioning is very poor for a defender. But he has other qualities; I just wouldn’t use him as a RB if our opposition has forward thinking wings and fullbacks.

• jimmymagpie

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Transfer – yes mate, it is nice to see us back in Europe, but I’m afraid I can’t enthused about this competition. Pardew has already stated today that Colo, and Tiote, still won’t be fit for Sunday, and I’m sick of hearing the cr-p he is talking about Tiote’s injury, I wish he would just shut up until the bloke is ready to return.LGFU – I think Simmo could be for he game after Reading, and hopefully, Krul as well, although I was told last night that Krul has an outside chance for Reading. Off to lunch – here’s hoping tonight. HTL!

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM

jesperfuglsang

The EPL is fast becoming a joke. Especially as other leagues in Europe improve significantly.

We complain about Manure and Citeh stealing our players. I wonder how european teams feel when Premier League clubs steal their ALL THE TIME. The UEFA needs to unite all european authorities and regulate the whole thing more. Wage caps brought in etc.

• jimmymagpie

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Jesper – I don’t feel sorry for them mate, I agree with everything you said @ 27. Bye.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

jesperfuglsang

Gary Neville predicted right before the game exactly what would happen down that Right hand side.

The guy knows so much about the game, i really hope he enters management one day. Although Im not sure he has enough commanding qualities about him.

Laudrup has been good at Swansea so far too. He’s added more dimensions to their play. They really do have some unstated quality in that squad in my opinion.

• check the toastie

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Think this should be team, Saylor should be nowhere near the starting lineup.

Harper
    Tav Willo Perch Fergy
    Obertoon Bigi Amalfitano Marveaux
    Vuckic
    Shola

Subs – Eliot, Anita, Saylor, Sammi, Abied, Gosling, Campbell, Santon.

Wud personally try and give Sammi, Abeid and Gosling some minutes to keep them in the fold. Strong reserve team though. Gotta say there is currently not one fit 1st team squad player i have lost patiance with. Gosling is getting there mind.

I am hoping tonight Obertan continues his new found form and Marveaux looks a little more at it.

There is plenty to watch in this game, will Tav look classy? can Fergy do a job at Full Back? Will Amalfitano look the part? interesting game and personally think the competition is ideal for giving fringe players proper competitive games, we only need one or two to really show up and its worth it.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Then again I think life would be much simpler supporting a foreign team. Less drama than the EPL

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM

LGFAUD…and I would even do something about the whole construction of the CL and EL. I miss something like the Cup Winners Cup.

What’s up with the CL; every big team in Europe think it’s their god given right to in that cup. If they don’t get their way they’ll probably try to break out and create some kind of rogue league or something. I think most part of UEFA is pathetic 😀

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

LGFAUD…I agree mate. Neville is a really good pundit; I could se him as a manager one day.

I called before the season started that Swansea would impress once again this season. I rate Laudrup very highly. Just look at the transfers he had made. Every club he has been a manager for, his players has stated he’s still the best in training.

Pablo Hernandez is going to set the PL on fire if you ask me 😀

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM

*I keep writing LGFAUD 🙁 I do apologies…LGFUAD 😀

• tarie4

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM

jimmymagpie

That’s were U lack vision there mate, anyone who says the EL is a pain in the arse, seriously lacks vision of where the club wants to go. I i am glad they have nothing to do with the management of the club.
    Yes AP might say its 3rd on our list of priorities but if U ask him whether he wants to qualify for it next year and beyond his answer will be yes everytime.
    Now there are no financial gains from it (just a few) but if U look at the pl.. Which teams have massive squads?? With quality and depth? U will see there are clubs who consistently qualify for Europe. Why?? Its coz U are able to build ur squad over time. Thats what nufc are looking to do. It also allows u to develope ur your youngsters… If we do well and get out of the groups, see how vucik, oberton etc will gain in confidence.
    Europe is essential for the growth of our youngsters. And our fringe players. Forget the financial gain. But look at the bigger picture mate.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM

jesperfuglsang

there were reports last season about some kind of superleague with a format similar to the NFL

It’d be interesting but you wouldnt want to see the demise of national leagues