Newcastle Hold Out For Good 0-0 Draw At Maritimo

Newcastle played well after a terrible first 25 minutes in Maritimo tonight, when like during the first half at Everton on Monday night, they looked all at sea.

But after about 28 minutes Alan Pardew was able to get the lads together during an injury break to one of the Maritimo players, and from then on Newcastle were much more solid and deserved the point, although this game could have gone either way.

Maritimo had chances in the first 25 minutes of this game, and Newcastle had 3rd string goalkeeper Rob Elliot to thank for two great saves, and Ron also produced some excellent saves in the second half and had a great game for Newcastle tonight.

But Newcastle also hit the woodwork three times,  as Shola hit to cross-bar in the second half with a good left foot shot, and he had forced the goalkeeper to deflect his diving header onto the upright in the first half, and Dan Gosling had an excellent left foot shot come back off the post.

After 80 minutes there was an amazing escape by Newcastle from a corner,  when a Roberge header from a left wing corner was headed onto the cross-bar by Davide Santon, and the ball was cleared as Maritimo were pressing for the winner.

It wasn’t over the line, with an official just five yards away, and it was great play by Davide Santon, who again looked good tonight for Newcastle.

As we said earlier, this game could have gone either way, but Alan Pardew will be pleased with a clean sheet and some good performances from the Newcastle players, with Rob Elliot showing he’s a good goalkeeper, with an excellent performance tonight.

Given the balance of the game, we were happy with the point tonight, and as well as Santon and Elliot looking good, Gael Bigirimana again showed he’s one for the future, with another very good performance in central midfield for the Magpies.

We’ll bring out a full report of the game a little bit later – as we saw it.

Teams:

Maritimo (4-5-1): Romain Salin; Briguel (c), Joao Guilherme, Valentin Roberge, Luis Olim; Rafael Miranda, Joao Luiz, Heldon (Fidelis 55), David Simao (Goncalo Abreu 75), Sami; Danilo Dias (Adilson 82)
Subs not used: Wellington Lima, Joao Diogo, Marcio Rosario, Igor Rossi

Newcastle United (4-5-1): Rob Elliot; James Perch, Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor, Davide Santon; Gael Bigirimana, Dan Gosling, Gabriel Obertan (Sylvain Marveaux 80), Haris Vuckic (Sammy Ameobi 53), Romain Amalfitano (Shane Ferguson 76); Shola Ameobi (c)
Subs not used: Steve Harper, James Tavernier, Mehdi Abeid, Adam Campbell

Referee: Robert Schorgenhofer (Austria)

Bookings: Maritimo – Simao (45); Newcastle – Bigirimana (45), Amalfitano (68), Santon (86)

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:11 PM

what is this ed empty post

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Must say Elliot deserves special mention. Seemed really sharp and comfortable. As I write this, I have realised I mentioned Shola and Elliot in the last thread. Yes, what a tw@ I am.

• TimKrulFan

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Should have won if it was ba or cisse with those chances would have scored.On another not bigi looked good.

• hotdog

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM

REPOST – nufccursed – Football just does not work like that. If they are in the group stages they are no mugs and these so called lesser teams are getting much beeter just like at international level. Maritimo had 5 Brazillians in their line up are you saying they will all be crap. It was a decent draw that should have been a win on chances but considering the team we put out i will take it and move onto the next game.

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

mom bigI

• IITianToon

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Guys get a grip. The pitch was atrocious and the weather equally so. Maybe thats why the heavy legs. Bring them to St James and this Maritimo side will get a rollicking. Keep your heads up. Howay the lads.

• Burni

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Repost

Fatman, people dont want magic overnight, they just dont wanna watch their team get dominated by any other team.

Now, I refer to all the matches this season, yeah we beat spurs but I still dont think we controlled that game.

Imo we have been very poor every game, that’s my opinion. Last season and the one before I was very positive when a lot weren’t but I can’t be this season. Something doesn’t feel right.

I don’t see many of our youngsters coming through as ppl suggest.

krul, bigi, Ben arfa, shola, the only players who have played well for us this season….. Maybe ba and Elliot…..

If ur gonna disagree, tell me why instead of knocking my opinion, I mean this genuinely as U may say summit that I might have missed

• toonking

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

that comment pardew made saying he does not like playing teams to defend what a load of bull. i knew from the start when he had all 4 starter defenders yet not a single midfielder or forward who is part of our current starting 11 even on the bench that this was going to be a boredraw.

• craig_mag

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Should av defo won that game, Shola unlucky but they look very average team and 2pts dropped in my opinion.

Bigi

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Also a repost…

Burni….For me, expect the “don’t see many youngsters coming through” comment, very fair assessment. We haven’t really played well, certainly nowhere near to the level we have seen before. But still have got ok results. It’s still early in the season, form should improve. I don’t see the need to panic yet. If we can grind out decent enough results whilst we’re getting in to gear, surely that’s a positive thing?

Of course we want to see us dominate every game we play, but it’s simply not realistic. Every team (every single one) goes through “bad” patches. Ours is not catastrophic and I think all will come good.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Repost …..Couldn’t get a stream, despite trying half a dozen..
    BUT I got a really good idea of the game judging from comments on here
    1) it was poor game,

2) we had a useless midfield,

3) Willo was very bad again, poor defending and missed a goal chance. He is a waste of space and should be sold

4)Shola had a couple of near misses, hit the post but was slow and useless.

4) Obertan was useless, but our best player in the first half,

5) Sammi had a few decent touches but is lazy and useless,

6) Gosling is slow and useless.

7) Santon was okay

Have I missed anything positive ?

• IITianToon

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

@Burni Maybe the focus of our star players wasnt 100% towards the start of the season, but I am pretty sure they are getting it back. Take Cabaye for instance, he accepted honestly after the Villa game that he wasnt upto speed yet, and improved considerably against Everton. I think we willl be back to speed pretty soon. Just need a good win against Norwich and we will kick on from there. I mean come on we havent lost many games since the season started have we? So keep the heads up lads.

• Banjo

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

just about woken up now from that game…

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

except*…..might need to go soon. Not doing myself any favours tonight. But do I ever?

• craig_mag

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Bigi looked very good but I’m still unsure sammi is gonna be ready this season for 1st team

• Burni

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Itian toon, I hope so and I look forward to them comin to sjp but I personally dont see it happenin

• Burni

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Itian and Ibiza, thanks for those posts. I’m not at the point where im running round flappin my arms like a loon but at the mo, I dont feel that there is much to be positive about. I will bear what U have said in mind and hopefully they can prove me wrong

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Burni…..What are you trying to say about my arm flapping? Fair enough mate, I appreciate the performances have been below par, just can’t see it lasting all season…would be really odd to say the least. Indeed, let’s hope they prove you wrong.

• nufcusa

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I got a decent stream and think the report from Ed is fair. We started slow and came to life after 25 minutes.

We done enough to score 1 or 2 but on another day could of conceded 1 or 2.

A draw away from home for a reserve team is not a bad result. Big guns return for Norwich and we win and it’s been a very solid week.

• Marty-Toon

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM

We played well at times,coulda got caught out and we could of won it.
    A point is good on travels in europe as we have a lot of young boys on there with little playing time and little experience

• Krul to be Kind

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Gosling showed tonight, pleased to see that, the youngsters look nervous and the pitch didn’t help, I’d say that pitch would have a lot to do with their alleged excellence at set plays and why they are 5 in Portugal… Thought their Sami was very good, worth looking at him, he’s an Obertan with confidence!

• FatmanJoe

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Me too. Thought gosling was solid.

Gosling – the new perch?

• PapissSmurf

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Why all the love for Santon? He is rubbish imo. For his billing he has been a massive disappointment. Need to put him onto RB and let Ferguson loose, who looks handy.

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Santon’s one of our best players. Great off the ball and is fantastic at clearing the ball of the line. Therefore no need for Simpson anymore.

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Bigirimana’s a bit overrated. His looks a good signing for the future, but had an average game tonight.