The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Good News On The Injury Front For Newcastle

10:32 am, Friday, September 21st, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Some good news on the injury front today from Alan Pardew, that Cheick Tiote will be available for the game with Norwich City at St James’ Park on Sunday afternoon, and Fab Coloccini is scheduled to begin training on Monday, after recovering from his hamstring injury, although he will not make the game on Sunday.

Cheick Tiote - in action in last game against Spurs

And the other good news is that Papiss Cisse, who had a virus, is now fit to start training this morning, and the Senegal striker is also available presumably for the game on Sunday.

This is what Alan Pardew told the local press today:

“Cheick is training today.” “Papiss will train today too.” “Colo is coming back and will train on Monday. Suddenly things are looking a lot better.”

“Colo is definitely out of the Norwich game.” “I am not sure about either Tiote or Papiss yet.”

Yohan Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa, Demba Ba and Jonas Gutierrez are also available for Sunday, having not traveled to Madeira for last night’s game.

Coloccini could be available to play in the Capital One Cup game at Manchester United next Thursday night, but if he doesn’t make that game, he should be available for the game the following Sunday at Reading.

And of course Vurnon Anita should also be available for the game on Sunday, after being allowed to leave the squad in Madeira, when his girlfriend went into labor with their child.

There is no news on how Danny Simpson is coming along but he cannot be more than a week away from returning to training after damaging a hamstring in the home game against Atromitos.

So it’s very good that more players are now coming back to help Newcastle with their tough schedule of six games in the next 16 days.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

Tags: Capital One Cup · Cheick Tiote · Danny Simpson · Fabricio Coloccini · Injuries · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 cupiddstunt // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

From previous

I just remember reading something from Carr I do believe about NUFC watch players a lot especially in games they are losing or lose as they want to assess the character of the player in question and that cannot be done until they are up against it.

Maybe this is why the players that have been named on here as targets we should have got through the door did not come through the door, maybe they have aspects to their makeup that were seen as thanks but no thanks and they were passed by.

Personally I just think the board know more about the players both with us, and potential targets so I am quite happy to leave it up to them to get in who they feel will fit.

• 2 cupiddstunt // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Now on this thread this is some very good news

• 3 cupiddstunt // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Nice to think we are getting back to strength for the league games.

Although someone on an earlier thread did say something about the canaries game being off but I can’t find anything to support that claim.

• 4 cupiddstunt // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

OK so I am here by myself.

Is it b o or something??? :)

• 5 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Change ur deoderant cupid ffs! ;)

• 6 martoon // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I found it strange that Anita was allowed to go off before the match. I understand that he wanted to get home but I would have thought NUFC had a chartered flight back for after the match and I wouldn’t have thought Anita could have got back any quicker using commercial flights in the evening. Maybe nothing but seemed strange to me!

• 7 jimmymagpie // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Ed – please read what Pardew actually said. He said they hadn’t made their minds up about Cisse and Tiote. I can tell you that they are monitoring Tiote especially very carefully in training as he hasn’t played since the first day of the season. IF he comes through ok, hopefully he will train again tomorrow, and put himself in the frame for Sunday. As I understand it, Cisse IS fit for selection. Why would the Norwich game be off?

• 8 martoon // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

cupiddstunt – the BBC site says the Saturday match is postponed but shows it on Sunday so I think it is just a clumsy way of saying it has moved from Saturday to Sunday.

• 9 cupiddstunt // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Martoon @ # 6

What you are saying makes sense so it could be safe to assume that there was a flight that got him back earlier than the charter would have.

Not knowing when they arrived he may have just turned straight around and headed back.

Whatever the situation NUFC behaved well and with consideration, I now just hope the new arrival is healthy and happy :) although in my experience few if any newborns are happy they have arrived. :lol:

• 10 Hatem's better than Messi // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM

The Norwich game is shown as postponed from Saturday on official fixture lists. It was rearranged for Sunday.

• 11 jimmymagpie // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Martoon – they said on the radio that they got him back to the mainland, from where he was able to get a flight back to Amsterdam to join his partner. I presume that this must make him a doubt for Sunday, unless she’s had the baby and all is well. If Tiote is definitely going to play, they may allow him to stay with her, although personally, I would still play him at right back.

• 12 martoon // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

OK thanks Jimmy – I hadn’t realised his partner was still in Holland – I presumed she’d moved with him. That probably explains it.

• 13 Carryingcoals // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM

If Tiote and Cisse are fit:

Harper
    Anita Willo Saylor Santon
    Cabaye Tiote Jonas
    HBA Cisse Ba

If not:

Harper
    Perch Willo Saylor Santon
    Anita Cabaye bigi
    HBA Ba Jonas

- Anita has looked better at RB than CM so far but it doesn’t mean he can’t play in the middle, it’ll come.

Whichever side Pardew puts out I’m confident of a win, not a big win, but 3 points nonetheless.

• 14 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Sep 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Tiote & Collo are both important players for us so we need them back soonest!

However, we need them back 100% fit, and it would be wrong to rush them back too soon.

previous post: Former Top Striker’s Advice To Ba – Stay With Newcastle