The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Hughton Praises Newcastle – Supporters Were Brilliant To Me

8:08 pm, Friday, September 21st, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 69 Comments

Chris Hughton will finally be returning to Newcastle this coming Sunday, when he brings his Norwich City side to St. James’ Park, and it will be the first time he’s been back to Newcastle since he was rather unfairly and suddenly fired in December of 2010, after he had done a magnificent job for our club.

Chris Hughton – Norwich City manager

Chris joined the coaching staff at Newcastle in February of 2008, when Kevin Keegan was manager, and he proved himself to be an excellent coach, but he really excelled when he took over a down and out Newcastle in June of 2009, after we had been relegated – and the rest is history.

Chris led us back to the Premier League in that first season down under, and we got 102 points and 30 wins to easily win the Championship by 9 points from West Bromwich Albion.

And it seems the respect is mutual,  as Chris Hughton has talked to the Norwich City official web-site today, in glowing terms about the Newcastle supporters:

“They are a team that will be pushing for Champions League places, so it’s quite a daunting place to go, but we’ve a team that will look forward to that experience. “

“It’s one that on a personal note I am looking forward to, but it’s about our performance. It’s a difficult place to get a result.” “I was there at Newcastle for three years, and the supporters were always excellent towards me.”

“That was during a period of time that wasn’t always good. We were relegated, but did come back again, and the supporters were always brilliant to me.” “There are still a lot of staff and players there from my time, and I shall look forward to going back, but more so if we are able to give a good account of ourselves.”

We notice there he didn’t say anything about the hierarchy at Newcastle, who ended up suddenly firing him, but he will be welcomed back to Newcastle with open arms by the fans, and we’re sure by the Newcastle hierarchy also, because he did such a great job for the club.

Life’s just too short to bear grudges – believe me.

Chris Hughton – while manager of Newcastle United

We have no doubts at all, that Chris will be a big success at Norwich City, which is a great club with fantastic support, and the same goes for Colin Calderwood, who was Chris’s Assistant Manager at Newcastle (and Birmingham City), and is now in the same role at Norwich City, working alongside Chris.

It’s just that Norwich may not get any points on Sunday afternoon at St. James’ Park.

We hope Norwich do not get on any points on Sunday afternoon at St. James’ Park. 😀

It will be great to welcome back Chris Hughton to Newcastle – he’s one of the true gentlemen in football today.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

69 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toonboy_84 // Sep 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

What a gents.

• 2 Toonboy_84 // Sep 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

*gent

• 3 Nufc-83 // Sep 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM

His reception is going to be quality

• 4 swoopingmagpie // Sep 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Toon legend, spank us two all Chris for old time sakes.

• 5 PortsladeToon // Sep 21, 2012 at 8:33 PM

That man just has pure class running through him, couldn’t thank him enough for what he did for Newcastle

• 6 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Hughton is a legend like. Still want us to win 5-0 tomorrow thar :)

• 7 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Yeah, Vuckic, Gosling, Tavs and in his turn Abeid, good young players like these reach a certain age and get a window of opportunity that only stays open for so long. It’s just the way it has to be. We’d be doing well if only one of them becomes a regular in the match day squad.. Even Fergie, good young player but more will be expected of him and if he doesn’t deliver another top youngster will take his place. I’m not sure if all young players fully recognize this.

• 8 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 21, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Of course I like and admire Chrissy Hughton, a very capable and honorable football man. He will get the great reception he deserves when he brings his Norwich side to St James’ and it will be a special moment but his sacking is probably the one thing that has guaranteed his place in Newcastle United history. You can easily imagine he went out when his stock was at its greatest.

• 9 fungus44 // Sep 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Hughton is a legend and all ways welcome at NUFC

• 10 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I think he will get the kind of reception he deserves. A fine man and manager. Truly class. A legend in Newcastle for the way he carried himself as our manager and the way he brought us through the hard times in the Championship.

• 11 mattyNUFC // Sep 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM

some could argue pardew is a better manager

but there’s no denying who’s the better man. Would he have taken us to the heights we all wanted? who knows, but besides SBR, he’ll i’m sure remain one of the top gentleman who’s had the privilege to run our club

• 12 Thump // Sep 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Can’t wait to see the reception on Sunday. I’m sure he’ll be welcomed back with open arms.

• 13 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I expect Newcastle to play well and beat Norwich and if that happens it shouldn’t go unnoticed that Chris Hughton has played a significant role in the development of the team we send out on Sunday.

• 14 G // Sep 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Has there ever been a time when a visiting manager was given a heroes welcome at SJP? Nearest I can remember is Keegan at Man City or Fulham, but a good few fans were booing him. I expect most of us will be raising the roof on Sunday for CH.

• 15 beefman13 // Sep 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Lads, shane ferguson is a terrific player and for me the best young player at the toon.

He has loads of skill, always looks to go forward an chases every ball down

; hope he gets to start more games for us, the europa league looks most likely

AP won’t drop a senior player for a youngin in the premiership ‘ I just hope fergie does not get bypassed.

Him and campbell will not let us down if given a chance.

I thought campbell shud have gotten 20 mins on Thursday

Shola did ok but misses quite a few chances.

I rate fergie more than sammy as sammy is one good ball one bad ball type of player, frustrating like his brother.

I’m looking forward to the games coming up

Hope AP shows we can play attacking football from the start. Ps perch is a good lad but made no move whatsoever to get forward on Thursday night.

• 16 hotdog // Sep 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Some fine comments on here folks. Nothing much to add except let’s show the media that if you give your all for our club you will be raised on a pedestal ala sir les and bobby lee. Cockneys but our cockneys

• 17 G // Sep 21, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Surely you mean ‘Cockneys but wor cockneys’ hotdog? Soz mate, the Paul Weller is kicking in now!

• 18 hotdog // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Beefman – I’ve heard a few people having a go at Shola for missing those chances. Yes he should have stuck one away but they were all made by himself. The service on thurs was very poor don’t you think?

• 19 hotdog // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Im too well to do, to be saying wor :-)

• 20 bills-son // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Just watched that documentary on Liverpool. Don’t think I’ve cringed as much since me granny fell of the wash house roof and flashed her bloomers. Brendan Rodgers sounds like Ricky Gervais in The Office, an absolute soundbite tit.

Rodgers could learn some lessons in class and humilty from Hughton and real managerial presence from Pards.

• 21 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Consistent finishing, I think will quite fairly be remembered as Sholas’ achilles heel, although it MUST be said he has scored a number of genuine crackers and a number of memorable strikes on the biggest occasion. My favourite player.

• 22 hotdog // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Jaw- I’ve defended shola for thurs but fav player. Stop drinking now please and go sleep it off 😉

• 23 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Yeah your on to me, I’ve got a few under my belt and I know favourite player would be a stretch for most, I just think he’s hung in there, developed his game, his physical presence and his character and above all is still slaying Mackems. Love the guy!

• 24 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Evening Gents.

How’s tricks?

• 25 kevymartins // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Lets face although pards is a good strategies he is also a clown…sleeping with a players wife wile he is married

• 26 VanToonMan // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Guys in my opinion from watching the games, it’s becoming increasingly clear that Anita is our best right-back option. He is good defensively and has pace to keep up with an opposition winger as well as being able to attack forward himself. He also has good delivery in those attacking positions.

I also think that James Perch’s best position is Central Defensive Midfielder. I know a lot of you will be shocked but I genuinely think that is his best position. He is too small for centre-back and at right back, he is good defensively but does not provide anything attacking forward. But what he is really good at is breaking the play up, winning the ball and giving it simply to another player. If you notice the times he played as a CDM last year and this season against everton in 2nd half…he was solid. Cabaye was able to push further forward at goodison in the 2nd half when he partnered him in the centre. He will obviously not get in over Tiote and maybe even Bigi in the future….but for now I think he is a very decent backup to Tiote when he is injured (which he seems to be a lot of the time).

Any thoughts? (lol cue the criticism!)

• 27 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Pards, you dog!

I didn’t know that, kinda explains those years on the periphery and his disciplined ambition, he craves redemption, I suppose.

• 28 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM

On Hughton….Can’t imagine there will be one fan who boos him on Sunday. The guy gave his all whilst with us and it’s been said time and time again, but it’s the most fitting word for the man, a true gentlemen. Not enough of them in football these days, but he truly is.

Many managers would hold a grudge about the way he was fired, but I think he knew he was appreciated for what he had done and for all his hard work, I think most sensible people can see he probably wasn’t the man to take us too much more forward.

Loads of respect for him and I’m sure the toon army will do us proud at the weekend and give the man the applause he deserves.

As for the players though, they need to get the 3 points 😉

On Shola….Mackem slayer is king. Frustrating at times, yes. But he is Newcastle and I love him in his new role as super sub. Gutted he couldn’t put one away on Thursday, but as mentioned above, he created most of his chances, not like there was a constant stream for him.

• 29 hotdog // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Oi oi Ibiza – good mate not much happening on here tonight. What score u going for on sun?

Jaw- very true although sir Peter beardsley is in some what a “different league” don’t you think and gets my vote. I phoned night owls as a young lad devastated that he had gone to Liverpool!!

• 30 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Kevy…Say what? I’ve missed something here.

Vantoon. No criticism here. I agree. He can “fill in” when needed at CB and RB, but for me, he’s best suited at CDM (obviously we have better, so he wont be a starter). He puts himself in the way of anything and plays with purpose these days. A real success story at Newcastle. From zero to hero. I appreciate he wouldn’t want in to any other top 6 teams, but he will be a vital player for us this season.

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Hotdog…Saw you mention me the other day :) Don’t worry, just had limited internet this week, I will be dominating your screens again soon enough, you lucky guys you.

I’m going to go 3-1 for Sunday. What’s your call?

• 32 hotdog // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Ibiza- I can’t see them scoring 3-0 for me.

Yeah can’t remember if wed or thurs loads of footy this week :-)

After seeing vertongen the other night I’m more convinced than ever that we need a centre half with his quality. Fingers crossed for jan sales!

• 33 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM

No, let’s not get carried away, he’s not the best player, just my favourite and certainly not my all time favourite. Beardsley would be right up there ofcourse, but for me it would be that wayward genius jinky jimmy smith, truly brilliant on his day and a little bit nasty.

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Hotdog….I just thought Hoots deserved a goal. We’re being spoilt this week with football (well, amount of games – the quality is questionable). I would love us to have a real cracking game. I can understand Everton and Maritimos being a little clumsy shall we say. We got what we needed. Norwich at home is a chance to show the fans some style and attacking football that we all crave. Plus it would calm things on here for a day or two…or maybe just 5 or 10 minutes…either way it’ll be welcomed.

• 35 hotdog // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Ibiza- we could win 10-0 and you would still have neggers, such is life
    I’ve got to go mate but I’ll leave you with this thought- mark lawrenson has predicted a 2-0 win for us! Time to revise our predictions 0-3 Norwich now haha

• 36 jesperfuglsang // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Is that you Ibiza? 😀 the real you… lol

…thought we had lost you to some bikini girls from the beach 😀

• 37 Brutooon // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Chris Hughton is a good COACH but not a good Manager (Yet)

I am one of the fans who are furious when he was sacked and replace by Alan Pardew.

But looking back, Chris Hughton is a ok manager if our aim is to be a mid-table or avoid relegation team but Alan Pardew prove he is the man for the job

• 38 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Jesper…I had an emotional goodbye today. It’s taken me a few hours to get myself together, but it was for the best. Have to get my priorities straight. You see what I give up for you lads? :)

Perhaps I need to spend less time on here. It turns out girls on holiday don’t like Newcastle banter as chat up lines. Who would have thought?

How’s things mate?

P.S. It is the real me. To date, I’ve managed to avoid being cloned. Obviously no one is up to the challenge – Hmmmm….please don’t take that as an invitation anyone. 😉

• 39 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Hotdog…Damn it Lawro :) Take it easy Señor perro caliente

• 40 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Brutoon. Good assessment. I don’t think anyone was thrilled with Pardew, but he’s certainly earned some respect.

• 41 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Just re-read that last comment and it doesn’t come across as I meant. Pardew has earned loads of respect. There that’s better.

• 42 Brutooon // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Chris Hughton is a good person but he is afraid to go for change – several games he keep the starting eleven till the 90 min

Alan Pardew are not afraid to take risk, example Everton game he took of marveax and put in Demba Ba (Hughton wont do that)

• 43 jesperfuglsang // Sep 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Ibiza…you have been sorely missed 😀

…but even you need at break from everything Newcastle related :) and you are probably right no girl worth picking up cares about Newcastle…lol

Did you watch the game the day before yesterday? I missed most of it. I am playing myself tomorrow and a have a hamstring in a thigh – I can hartly walk :( you should see me 😀 lol

• 44 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Jesper…You are too kind :)

How can you say that? Surely the ideal women loves the toon? Mind you, probably best she’s in to more domestic things. Only joking if there are any girls reading….honest 😉

I saw most of it….stream went funny for about 5 or 10 minutes. Wasn’t spectacular, but for our B team, first group game, away, bad pitch, hot conditions. Quite happy. Thought Elliot was a star to be honest, really went up in my estimation.

What position do you normally play? I say normally as I can’t imagine you’ll be playing with an injury :) How did you manage it?

• 45 Marty-Toon // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM

He deserves a standings ovation he does…..
    The mighty Chris Hughton

• 46 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Marty…..Hear hear!

• 47 jesperfuglsang // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Ibiza…that I managed on wednesday night playing football when it was way too cold for me 😉 lol

I play right or left wing mostly. Sometimes ACM or forward; it really depends on the formation.

These days I am mostly a right wing in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 😀 I am a left footer.

Do you play yourself? Mind you it is only for fun these days 😉

• 48 rainrix // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Off topic but did anyone in the uk see a meteor about 20 mins ago?

• 49 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Rainrix…..Really? We seem to have a more international crowd this evening.

Jesper……Sports in the cold, how uncivilised! 4-4-2? How is it ever possible to win a game in that formation? 😉

I play rarely. Last time I played in any sort of team was at primary school. I was in goal and we were truly awful :) Do enjoy a game though….not sure how long I could manage these days mind.

• 50 cupiddstunt // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Jesperfuglsang @ # 43

I think most of us have hamstrings in our thighs, 😉

Don’t tell me they build you different across your way 😆

• 51 Marty-Toon // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Jesper,is it Denmark you are in?
    I get the cold thing so,I’m living ver in Norway n play Monday night football with a loada buddies.
    It’s good oul craic but last Monday me nads were up in to me with the cold lol

• 52 jesperfuglsang // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Ibiza…there is still hope for you 😉 you are still young…younger lol

I am a few years older (not much) so I tend to get hamstrings alot more often these days :-(

But I try to keep in shape.

I think I remember you said something about your first NUFC jersey was a Goalie jersey! Is that right?

• 53 cupiddstunt // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Jesperfuglsang @ # 47

How can you spout such sacrilege playing the right wing when you are left footed. 😉

Has this blog taught you nothing at all?????

Left footers mush play the left side of the pitch and that is final (well according to some) 😆

• 54 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM

cupid…Some countries will do anything to have their own identity.

Right then. I am off. No doubt catch you all for matchday. Enjoy your weekends and let’s hope for a happy Sunday. HWTL

• 55 rainrix // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Ibiza its all over twatter, been seen all over the country apparently. I somehow managed to miss it despite being outside in the middle of the countryside :)

• 56 jesperfuglsang // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Cupid…an in the confinement of a 4-4-2 as well 😀 what has the world come too? lol

• 57 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Ok then, one last round :)

Jesper…Hope for what? An improvement of football skills? I don’t think I’ll be getting my hopes up on that one. Smoking and drinking will have to be dealt with as well and that just doesn’t seem likely.

That is right. That lovely green thing in the 90’s. Looked a bit like a lizard, or so I was told, thrilled me that one :)

Cupid…A bit of a goldmember moment there? Ze left footers mush play on ze left!

Night everyone

• 58 jesperfuglsang // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Marty…yes it is Denmark :-)

…I know I shouldn’t be complaining, but the cold just don’t work for me…

And it can be fricking cold here for some reason 😀 lol

• 59 rainrix // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Back to terrestrial matters i’d love to see bigi get a start on sunday. With anita at rb. But given perch’s performances i doubt he’ll be dropped unless he gets rested as he was coming down with cramp yesterday. It just shows how busy our schedule is when the same back 4 potential have 3 games in 6 days :(

• 60 Marty-Toon // Sep 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM

It sure does get frickin cold mate….
    Lookin forward to the game in Sunday and the atmosphere will probably be great too.
    We rested a lot of players so we should be on song

• 61 jesperfuglsang // Sep 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM

See y’all Sunday for what will hopefull be a great game for NUFC 😀

Sleep tight folks :-)

• 62 Marty-Toon // Sep 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Ok,later man

• 63 cyprus // Sep 22, 2012 at 6:33 AM

I so want this guy to do well, but not tomorrow! Those who go to the game, give him the welcome he deserves.

• 64 Vex // Sep 22, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Hope he get’s a warm reception, but also hope he doesn’t get any points from the visit ;D

• 65 check the toastie // Sep 22, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Smashing bloke Chris Hughton and conducted himsef with Grace and Class whilst at this football club, however gotta say dont really rate him as a manager and thought it was a good decision to replace him when Fat Mike did, think he will take Norwich down unfortunately.

Gunna get pelters for this but i think he did a great job at getting all the lads to pull in the same direction for the club when we were in the championship, but to be fair that team that came up should always have come up, at times we looked shit in the Championship under Hughton. Nice bloke though.

• 66 jesperfuglsang // Sep 22, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Morning lads :-)

Today is the big day for me; going to have to play football with a hamstring :-( Now how do you do that?

I have no idea how I am going o get through this – I am really thinking hard about not going, but we seem very short of players today.

…curse these old legs 😀 lol

• 67 jawballsaswallwell // Sep 22, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Mourinho has been saying that after Real Madrid he’ll be returning to England.

I think he would consider the Newcastle job if it was offered. Not so ridiculous as it sounds.

He had a very close relationship with Sir Bobby and knows all about Newcastle’s size and potential from his time at Chelsea.

I’ve heard him speak more than once about how the top clubs in the premiership were all waiting for such a big club like Newcastle to inevitably strengthen and threaten the top clubs.

Then there’s that message of good luck he sent Pardew on our return to Europe and also if it is to be England, we are really only one of half dozen who would interest him.

The challenge of realising of the Toons potential would have to be appealing to a football man like Mourinho, surely.

Ofcourse, he’d have to cross swords with our pennywise owner and I think it was Llambias who criticised Keegan for wanting to”spend like Mourinho” so it’s obviously a long shot, but hey, I think he might just fancy it, in a few years.

• 68 jesperfuglsang // Sep 22, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Jaw…if the silver supremo should ever leave, what we would need is a manager like Wenger who can do wonders on a limited transfer kitty and who don’t mind selling players :-)

As much as I rate Mourinho he just want to spend money :-)

Okay I gotta face the facts; I am going nowhere with this hamstring :-(

• 69 Phil K // Sep 22, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Chrissy needs time, but he will do a good job at Norwich. But NEEDS TIME.
    Managers don’t get that these days though.

previous post: Europe A Great Experience For Our Newcastle Youngsters