Pardew – This Newcastle Youngster Has A Great Future

It’s hardly surprising that after another Man of the Match performance from Gael Bigirimana – he is well ahead in our voting with just over 50% of the vote – Alan Pardew has said the youngster will be pushing for a place in the Newcastle side, even when everybody is fit again.

Gael Bigirimana – in action last night in Madeira

The 18-year-old signing from Coventry for just £1M (what a great deal!), is already looking a top player for Newcastle and he was here, there and everywhere for the side last night, and he closed the back door almost every time there was a threat from Maritimo in the 0-0 draw in Madeira.

This is what a very pleased Alan Pardew said when Gael’s name was brought up last night after the game:

“He is calm, isn’t he? There were times when the game got too open, really, for us. We were trying to win it and leaving ourselves a bit open, and it was him nine times out of 10 who was shutting the door and then being calm and composed. This is a boy who is 18 years old. He has got a great future.”

“You could criticise my selection in terms of experienced players here, but these guys, it’s massive for them. As we go along and we got more options for me in terms of fitness, Bigi is going to play himself into being right in with a sniff even when everybody is back, like he did.”

“They are important games because we have got no travelling, so it will be just like a midweek game for us and I don’t see any problem in selecting a team. After Bordeaux’s result against Bruges, it is everything on the line for Bruges probably in our game. “That’s a very important game in terms of the league and we need to win it.”

“But I am well-armed. We could still suffer a couple of injuries between now and that game – who’s to say we are not going to lose any more players? I am just fingers crossed that some are going to come back and we will be stronger.”

In the other group game last night Bordeaux beat Club Brugge at home 4-0,  and Newcastle’s next game is against Bordeaux on Thursday October 4th at St. James Park, so a win there would put us into a good position.

We watched Tottenham’s 0-0 draw with Lazio last night at White Hart Lane, and Spurs had their top side out with all their stars in the side, so at least they are playing their best side in Europe – unlike Newcastle.

We wonder if Alan Pardew will play a much stronger side when we play these games at home, since there’s no travelling involved – he seems to suggest that in his comments.

We’ll see, but the aim has to be to progress beyond the group stages, and Alan is right – some players like Gael Bigirimana could prove to be a top player for Newcastle through playing in these European games.

This lad should surely be brought into the England 21 set-up now.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• Krul to be Kind

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I hope Bigi has Irish Grandparents, never mind U21, he should be a full international! I feel a new man crush coming on 😉

• Constanstine

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

We got two top DMF who always do their job but the position that we are lacking is AMF to link with the forwards. I really hope to see Cabaye, or Vuckic filling in that position as the season go by.

• Cool Hand Luke

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Vici is really pushing for Tiotes place. What he lacks in physical presence he makes up for with timing in the tackle, passing range and bags of energy. Great player already and can only get better

• sirtoongospel

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

AVB played a full team as he was desperate not to loseis. He needs to get the crowd onside otherwise his job will last 6 months like the last one. Pards however is in full control up here. He knows exactly what is required, and blooding these youngsters is crucial to our development. There are no negatives, we got a result away from home without Krul, Colo, Cheick, Ba, Cisse, HBA, Cabaye, Jonas, Anita. 8 probable starters! Win your home games with a slightly stronger team as no travelling involved and allow the kids to fight for results away. Perfect. The future is bright as far as i am concerned.

• Papi_Demba

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I like this young man and i hope Fergie and the Mancini’s back off our new found gem…..True say i hope this means Cabaye playing a more advanced role becoz Cabaye-HBA combination can do some serious damage to anyone anyday!!!…….I did miss Shola glad to see him back!!:)

• Raj

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Bigi was extraordinary yesterday. Atleast relatively.. Others lads on the pitch slipped too much on their game, literally!! However, I voted Elliott coz I thought he had a stand-out game for someone having first-team football at Europa League for the first time..

The midfield with Gosling, Vuckic and Obertan looked frail, can’t fathom why!! Bigi and back four were constantly exposed to running wingers and quality crosses into the box. Was that lack of confidence or the pitch? Was it something with the formation, or that the players did not gel together?

And ya, the slow take-off by NUFC in all games this season will not have gone unnoticed. We can’t expect second halves like Goodison all the time, can we?

• Rotonda heights

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Bigi really has got it all and looks immense. I really think he could be a regular.

Although it didn’t work at Everton as such I still think 4231 with our best team available could still work.

Krul

Anita Colo Saylor Santon

Tiote Bigi

Benny Cabaye Marveaux

Ba / Cisse

• Rotonda heights

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Just can’t see what gosling has or does when we have Abeid kicking his heels.

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Coventry let him go too early and weay too cheap. They will be seething. Would Newcastle let him go for 3,4,5 times what we paid for him. I doubt it.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Jawballsaswallwell

I think most coventry fans would agree but unfortunatly after relegation the club were absolutly hemorrhaging money and unfortunatly bigi was there prize asset along with there striker (cant remember his name) and dont think they had a choice tbf!

• bollance

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Tads

u would have thought we would not be the only club in for him so the price have been higher?

Anyway, we should just be thankful and Bigi would say ‘it was an act of god’

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Yeah, that’s right, I now rather guiltily remember Andy Thorn I think, suggesting rather impotently that it would be in his best interests to stay for at lest one more season, when he was clearly resigned to losing him. Will Coventry benefit from any sell on clause, seems only fair that they would.

• Brutooon

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

This young lad is confident and he is STILL 18 YEARS OLD??

• Harley

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I’m sure newcastle wouldve had a stronger line up if we were playing lazio at home too.

Bigi is the signing of the season. 1 million?!!!!
    I bet other clubs are gutted they didn’t take the plunge. I’d rarher see bigi than Anita in the holding role as I think Anita is great at full back. Anita lacks the size to play that role. I know bigi isn’t too tall but he looks strong and will only get stronger.

• widowmagandapoke

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Ed, why have I had to change my user name and password to get in?
    It said my password was incorrect – which it wasn’t – and when I entered a different password it still wouldn’t let me in. Why is this? Has anyone else experienced this?

• widowmagandapoke

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Anybody notice how the lad reacted when the referee instructed Martimo to give the ball back to the keeper and they just went to carry on? His tackle was important and, under the circumstances, should not have received a booking