Rob Elliot – I Have Ambitions At Newcastle – I’ve Trained Hard

Let’s say this very clearly – Rob Elliot had a great game for Newcastle against Maritimo last night, and but for at least five excellent  saves from the former Charlton goalkeeper, Newcastle would not have come away with a creditable 0-0 draw, in our first group game in the Europa league.

Steven Taylor congratulates Rob Elliot after his great performance

Rob certainly surprised us with his excellent display, and good for him, since we’d only seen him play once or twice, and at Nottingham Forest last year in the Carling Cup he didn’t have a particularly have good game in our 4-3 win, which is the only other time he played in the Newcastle first team.

But now he will be challenging Steve Harper for that goalkeeper position in Europe, once Tim Krul is fit again, and last night’s performance is exactly what he needed to establish himself at Newcastle.

We expect Steve Harper to come back into the side for the game against Norwich City on Saturday, but we’ll see Rob in the Newcastle goal again in the near future, after his superb performance last night.

Rob had this to say to the local press this morning:

“I want to make everyone aware I am a good goalkeeper – I have ambitions.” “The gaffer put his faith in me and I was really pleased.” “The lads in front of me were brilliant. It was just good to play a game – I had only played the one game for the club.”

“I had not played for a year. I have been training hard and waiting for my chance.” “I had just signed when I played at Forest.” “Everything was a bit crazy, but I have had a year of hard training.”

“Maritimo do not lose many at home – their record is fantastic.” “The pitch is questionable and they are used to playing on it.” “It took us 20 minutes to get used to it. It was hot out there too.”

“We were pleased with the point and we could have maybe nicked it.”  “I made a good early save and that helped settle the nerves.”  “It was my first game in Europe, and I was pleased to keep a clean sheet.”

“There were two things I could have done better, but overall I was very pleased with my performance.”

That last sentence tells us that Rob is determined to improve and learn from his experiences, which is always a good sign with any player.

But Rob definitely achieved his goal of making Newcastle fans aware he’s a very good goalkeeper, and it’s always good to see Newcastle players coming through. Rob is currently second in the voting for Man of the Match with 22% of the vote, with 18 year-old Gael Bigirimana leading with 51% of the vote.

This is probably Steve Harper’s last year as a player at Newcastle, after 20 years at the club,  so it’s up to Rob to start challenging for that first team goalkeeper position, and keep Tim Krul on his toes.

It was really pleasing to see Rob have such a good game last nigth, and it will do wonders for his confidence.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• cupiddstunt

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Martoon @ # 8

Thanks for that I was on the BBC site but could not see anything but should have thought to check the schedules 🙂

• cupiddstunt

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Sorry should have made first post more relevant to the thread but thanks were due and martoon will know what it’s about. 😉

• cupiddstunt

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

He played very well and it’s just a matter of time now to see if he can keep up that performance.

• boater

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Wanted to stay away whilst all the in/post match whitenoise died down on here. Not a bad result considering it was our reserve team out there.. totally agree with resting Rolls Royce players away in Europe.

Cupiddstunt – in response to your comments about Carr identifying players who respond well to going behind in games. I would suggest it isn’t working – off the top of my head, have we come from a goal down to win a league game under Pardew? Even drawing from a losing position is uncommon. Of all the many good things about this set-up – recovering from a goal conceded isn’t one of them.

• cupiddstunt

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Boater @ # 4

Yep stats seem to back up what you are saying but if you watch the players their heads do not drop when they go behind, they keep banging away and trying to get back to level terms.

There are some players out there with outstanding technical ability but questionable heart and commitment and who psychologically drop when they go behind in a game and this is what we are apparently seeking to avoid. A bit like players that lose the ball and do nothing to get it back but just sit back and wait for others in the team to rescue the situation for them.

I think over the piece it is going in the right direction we have battlers and time and work we will have a squad that can get back from being behind and still take games.

• wls

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Saylor is solid as always. It feels so much safer with him at the back actually.

• martoon

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Cupid – still better that “1st” 🙂

• cupiddstunt

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Boater I think a good example would be Berbatov an incredibly skilful player but when he loses the ball he just stands and waits for someone else to get it back for him.

On the other hand Rooney although I do not like the guy I give credit when it’s due. When he loses the ball he will chase the opposition out into the street to get the ball back, and if you take the ball off him and he think you have been a little hard doing it he will chase you all over the park just to get a kick back at you.

Now I know who I would want in my side week in week out.

• check the toastie

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM

And that is what getting into the Europa league is all about, well done Elliot, shoved some needless criticism down peoples throats.