Newcastle 1 Norwich 0 – Video Highlights

Here are the highlights of this afternoon’s game at St. James Park.

• JDdubai

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM

We havent played well all season.

Spurs – 1st half terrible, bit better 2nd but lucky not to be 2 down at HT
    Chelsea – crap all match especially 1st half
    Villa – Poor all match, especially 1st half again
    Everton – Poor, v lucky to get anything out of it
    Norwich – crap again.
    3 Europa games against poor sides, we were never in total control in any game, it was 50-50 and we should have been comfortable winners.

Its not a fluke, we aren’t playing well at all this season. We are very lucky to have the points we do have.

Something needs to kick start things, there’s no fluidity or anything.

Problem is if Cisse doesnt score then he offers nothing else so its like we are playing with 10 men. Ball doesnt get held up far enough up the pitch, gaps everywhere for Norwich today to attack..

Happy with 3 points but we are in for a long season if that quality of performance continues

On the plus side Harps looked on the ball today and Cabaye seems to be getting a bit better.

Like I said before tho…….

If HBA isnt on his game, what else do we have??????

• Dannyo

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM

We’re a FB, CB and Striker away from going all out bonkers on this league imo.
    RB possision is not good enough, Willo, solid today, but his favorite pass is to GK or out to throw.
    We bring on Shola to slow things down, when we should bring on someone to speed things up.

• Adopted_Geordie

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Continuing from what dannyo said in a previous thread..from the start of the season we have played atromitos,tottenham,chelsea everton,norwich and a decent maratimo side..and out of this we have won 3 drawn 4 and lost 1 and that too away at chelsea..so its not that bad as some may see it..granted we have had a slow start..but 1 loss in 8 is a great start and hopefully we can build on that.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Please can Benny be our regular penalty taker… ?

• Ed Harrison

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

JDdubai – just think what it will be like when we start to play well 😀

• MacToon

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Great win, disappointing performance (again) overall.

• Dannyo

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

@JDdubai
    We’ve played 5 games mate, with loads of injuries already.
    Did u expect four 5-0 wins and a draw?

• Adopted_Geordie

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

my bad forgot aston villa!

• MacToon

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I hope it’s soon Ed 😉

• Dannyo

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:22 PM

@MacToon
    Outside Villa, we’ve been doing our job so far this season i’d say.
    And today was our best performance yet.
    We all know there’s loads more to come, this is still early days.

• JDdubai

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:22 PM

@ Ed

Please make it soon, find it so frustrating at the moment. Have a word with Pards would you Ed, get it sorted 🙂

• manxpie

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM

ed nice to hear from u i was just thinking wud it be possible to actually get a thumbs up or thumbs down thing for each comment thats posted i think it will add something to this already great blog? but what do i know 🙂

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Man united play badly allot and win but they are praised for it. We win playing badly and are ridiculed by some on here. Ask yourself would you rather we played badly and lost ?

• Burni

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM

im of the mindset that the football we have been playing is not to the same level as last season but were still not getting beaten.

This game imo was one of our strongest especially in the first half.

I was hoping that this game would kick our season on, we’ll have to see……

I remain optimistic but not overly so.

• manxpie

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM

ddubai do ya wan’t some rope with a noose allready tied in it £5.99 to u my friend
    if carlsberg did negatives!!
    unbelievable we’ve lost 1 game all season and with alot of injuries start lookin at the positives man!

• MacToon

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Dannyo, it was the same last season… we play well in fits and bursts and manage to gain points. This season has started the same but we have so many more games now and a few vital players missing but hopefully it’ll all change soon………. Still a good 3 points today.

• JDdubai

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM

@Dannyo

I would have expected us to turn up at Chelsea, would have expected us to perform much better against Everton and Spurs as they were both 6 pointers and I would have expected us to play massively better at home against Villa and Norwich yes.

I know we beat Spurs and somehow drew at Everton for which I am eternally grateful to God or whoever was watching over it but my point is the performances.

Results have been ok so far, performances have not.

IMO

• JDdubai

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM

@manxpie

I call it realism, i dont get blinded by loyalty to not be able to see what is right in front of me.

Like I said Im happy with the points we have, but my point was our performances have been poor in every match barring about 20 mins.

Do you think Im wrong? Do you think we have played well this season?

Do you think they have been good?

• toonking

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM

weather people agree i don’t know but perhap all this poor play could be down to how low squad depth is so therefore pardew is asking players to play steady so we avoid getting anymore injured and also preventing much fatigue. teams like stoke and fulham who have played in europa league had this problem too so whats to say we are not getting it too.

• Dannyo

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM

@JDdubai
    I expected us to lose at Chelsea, their team has been lifted a notch with their signings this year. Look at the table.
    Everton are as strong as us imo, with fewer matches to play, so a draw there was great.
    Villa, we should’ve gotten that, but that’s it, everything else has gone according to plan.

Perfomances will come, it’s the start of the season, there is no settled side like the start of the last season.
    U won’t get a good performance no matter what team u set up mate.
    The performance will come when the players get better (Cabaye, Cisse, Collo injured, Tiote injured, etc etc).
    We’re picking the points we should be picking imo, and we all know there’ll be a shocker here and there. It’s football.

Performances will come, but i’m happy with the results. It’s a solid start yet again for me.

• jimiley

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Jonas is an absolute rock. He never stops running. He should be in the UK team for the marathon. Any team would be happy to have him in the side.

• Spreadthetoon

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM

JDdubai
    Agree with your comments, we’ve yet to even show any of the form we had last season. We were not comfortable on the ball along the ground and have retreated to hoof ball at times. Its dead frustrating and we will get shown up by the better teams in the league…like Chelsea and Everton. We were lucky to get a point from that match. That said we are on the same points as Spurs and Arsenal and only 2 behind Everton. And we haven’t even reached our near potential…..so if we get anywhere near our best….well that would be exciting wouldn’t it! Just hope it comes soon!!

• manxpie

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM

yes dubai i think we’ve played well in spells especially with the players we’ve had available n the different formations we’ve used, we havent had imo our most important midfielder since the first game!
    i’m just wondering wat your expectin?

• Dannyo

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Did anyone else think Tiote had gotten even beefier?
    Or is it just that we’re used to see Anita and Biggie in the middle now?

• blissna

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I’m not going to say I’m unhappy with the points we have. It just has me arsehole twitching the way we get them.

• manxpie

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:44 PM

blissna lol but isn’t that wat footballs about? thats why where all hooked

• craigTnufc

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I’d hate to be as negative and clueless as some of the “supporters” on this blog.

• steveno7

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Glad tiote is bak.
    Weve missed his steel in t middle

• blissna

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Ultimately I want to see us have a go at a euro run. It’s a brilliant opportunity to bring the youngsters through and I just want us to do well and not suffer a shameful, embarrassing exit. From what I am seeing we are not playing cohesive and confidence inspiring football. I hope this is a temporary thing and we get back to our best soon. 3points today is a boost and I hope it’s a catalyst for us to perform like we know we can over the coming season.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Harps willo perch HBA and ba were fantastic today, jonas solid same as santon, anita is settling more each game
    For me the worry is STaylor at the moment he looks a bit lost at the back for the last couple of games his marking and positioning has been so poor lately hope hes just getting back to match fitness after a long injury

• darrenfletcher88

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Great week!! 4 points in the prem!! And are first away point in Europe for years, people being negitive haven’t got a clue!!!!! We have had many injuries and we keep rolling on,up the toona!!!

• 89Norcal

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Right, so thanks to my silent alarm and time zone, I managed to miss the first 80 minutes of the game 🙂

But from the highlights, that was an incredible pass from HBA! That’s the kind of play NUFC are capable of with guys like HBA, Cabaye and Anita, but unfortunately it sounds like we were mostly impotent the rest of the game.

And am I right in thinking HBA gave the penalty to Cisse? I’ve become massively impressed by Hatem lately, he’s becoming a real lionheart for the club and an incredible team mate. Too bad Cisse couldn’t put it in.

• hattambenarfa

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:01 PM

think we will see the best of anita alongside tiote
    but i would be tempted to play tiote cabaye bigi with anita lb and santon rb, on their natural feet, seems backwards the other way round.

pards needs a word with anita to say look, 1st choic full back or reserve cm your choice

• geordie1892

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Ok so after 5 games were in the top half, group stages of Europa and have our top players returning from injury. Can’t ask for much more really

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Norcal….I’m going to have to blame me missing the game to alcohol abuse….oh well, at least it was a good night 🙂

How was the game? Seems to be some mixed opinions going round (I know, shocked me sh*tl*ss too).

We got the three points and that was the important bit. I assume all the players aren’t quite clicking yet, so I’ll go back to mantra of the season so far. Form will improve, the fact we’re collecting good results is a positive, surely?

• tequilamag

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Just came back and checked the comments and still we have people slating the team. Unbelievable. Its become clear to me that certain people who post on here will never be happy. I am sure they would much rather we lose so they can give vent to their misery. It was never going to be an easy game today we still have our best players out but we battled hard and deserved the victory. Enjoy the 3 points.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Nice with a win today – it was badly needed 😀

…but what was Cisse thinking on that penalty? lol

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Jesper….We got a penalty and Cisse missed? He needs to be sold in January. Simply not good enough.

• 89Norcal

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Ibiza – I wish I could blame it on the alcohol, but it was just a late workout that did me in. And mixed feelings, you must be s****ing me? 🙂

I guess the positive from missing the game is I see we are 3 points up, and that’s all that matters!

I hope we can get all our top players to click, Pards has had to mix it up because of injuries so our top players haven’t had much game time together with Anita. Then there’s that nasty issue of the 2 Dembas..

• LGFUAD21

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I think I may be in a minority but I felt today’s performance was improved. It wasnt stellar but I think it was a decent enough performance against an organised Norwich.

Willo looks more solid at the back. And was more productive for set pieces. Fair enough we didnt score from one but that was down to strikers not him.

Jonas was far more productive today with helping to get back as well as make the odd attack.

HBA and Anita bullied that left hand side I felt. Especially when anita came into the middle from RB position.

We did see some better link up play between players. Cabaye and Benny in particular. Even Obertan helped launch an attack near then end, his movement then was excellent in that drive. Really good.

Santon was more restrained and is now convincing me he is a solid LB. He doesnt get many opportunities to attack because everything goes through Benny.

Perch protected our back four well. Really solid performance.

Honestly I have no major qualms with any player on the field today. Cisse needs to be sharper but his workrate was much improved. This is the first game where I havent wanted to absolutely b!tch about half the players.

The lack of goals and produce in the final third was down to Ba again being frozen out of the game as much as possible. I really wish we would play along the ground more. When we have done that, and we did at times today, we kept the game going at a nice tempo and, maybe didnt control but certainly looked comfortable and had a hand in things.

We have passing players in the midfield but we choose to bypass them at times.

That said today we showed more balance than we have and it was a better performance. i hope we can improve on this. Tiote looked good for a guy who is not match fit. He had energy, he kept the ball but moved it around and created space.

That said it will be difficult decisions for Pardew with Perch being in fine form today. Really ran his socks off for us.

Saylor looks like he still needs time to get into the swing of things a bit.

HBA was our star today. He kept the ball better than usual and linked up with Anita and Cabaye really well. Created Ba’s goal with a superb ball and was unlucky not to create more. Showed real team spirit today. To the point I was begging for something special from him. Another Maradonna run.