Newcastle Not Playing Great – But Still Picking Up Points

Newcastle are not playing well this season so far, but the lads have still collected a decent 8 points from their five league games, and have ground out good results in the last two league game this week to get 4 good points.

Demba Ba – after scoring 4th goal of the season after 19 minutes today

If somebody had offered us 4 points from the two gamesat Everton and at home to Norwich, we would have taken it in a New York minute, and in some cases results are more important than the performance.

Ben Arfa and Demba Ba produced the class this afternoon that got Newcastle their winning goal, although we missed a penalty just before half time – and we have to get sorted out who the penalty taker is for Newcastle.

We thought it was Demba Ba, although Ben Arfa took the penalty against Spurs and scored, but today Papiss Cisse took the penalty and blazed the ball wildly over the bar.

When you haven’t scored this season, that kind of thing tends to happen to make things worse, and the very worst penalties are when you don’t even make the goalkeeper make a save.

But hey, the lads wanted Papiss Cisse to get on the score-sheet and we won the game this afternoon, so we are not complaining too much.

This is what Alan Pardew told Sky Sports after the game today:

“I thought the penalty miss hurt us mentally a little bit.” “It was such an important game for us to win because, even though we had got some decent results this season, we needed that second win just to get us going.”

“We find ourselves with eight points and I think that is a good reflection because we have had some tough games.” “Norwich made it tough for us today and the back four and the goalie were the standout players, outside of Hatem who was again brilliant.”

“I think it was pretty obvious that they wanted Cisse to score, which says everything about our spirit here.” “It’s not really what I wanted. I want to see it in the back of the net and I want the best player to take it.”

“Papiss missed one in pre-season so I wasn’t too pleased with that, but I can understand it and I didn’t make a big deal about it at half-time because I thought that could hurt us even more.”

This was a very important game to win, and the lads delivered the goods, but Papiss Cisse also missed a penalty in the summer for Senegal, and in that case s he also blazed the ball over the bar, and seemed to lay back when he took both penalty kicks.

But as it turns out it didn’t matter much today, but from now on we need to stick with the player who is the acknowledged penalty taker.

The performance today was just so-so but the result was a massive one.

And now we need to show some of our best form next Saturday at Reading, and we could get our second league win on the trot.

And today was our first clean sheet in the league this season, and only the second overall, so that’s another good things to take out of this game.

Moderately good performance, but a fantastic result is the bottom line with today’s game and we’re very happy right now. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• Carryingcoals

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:26 PM

From where I was sat, it looked as though John Carver and Ba were in a slanging match after Cisse missed the penalty. Ba was making gestures towards the bench and looked like he was getting a good telling off.

Anyone think the same or shed some light?

– and I think that was the right thing to do by Pardew, not saying anything about it at HT, no use screaming at them over a penalty miss.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Better than not playing great and losing 😉

• Toon1978

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:28 PM

HBA was world class once again.

• dmac

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:29 PM

It was Ba that convinced everyone to let Cisse have the pen. It was a very good and clear sign of our teams working together ethic just a shame it didnt pay off. We would all be singing about the decision had he scored. It happens, even the great Al missed a pen (not very often like!).

• JDdubai

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Glad to have gotten Spurs, Everton and Chelsea out the way early.

Good return of points, performances need to improve from now on with October bringing 2 Europa matches, Man Utd and the Mackems in the league along with West Brom and Liverpool beginning of Nov.

If we can push on now we have a good opportunity with none of our rivals too far ahead.

• Ashton

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Carryingcoals

I saw that too. He wanted to take it but Carver,Jonas and Ben Arfa told him to give it to Cisse. He did and when Cisse missed instead of encouraging his team mate he acted like a twat.

• Carryingcoals

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Ashton

Right ok I see. I could see them gesturing towards eachother but had no idea what was being said, obviously.

Disappointing.

– Cisse reminds me very much of Darren Bent at the minute. He’s a great finisher and can be a real poacher, but when he isn’t firing he’s absolutely anonymous in game. I’m a big Cisse fan but it’s just not happening for him at the moment, aside from the penalty miss. He doesn’t put himself about enough and when the service is crap from our midfield he does nothing in a game. Just for the record, I do find Cisse a lot more spectacular than Bent by the way!

Hopefully Tiote coming back will give the midfield the bite it needs, winning the ball back a lot more and providing us with more possession to make things happen.

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Great goal, but the missed penalty was just as influential. That goes in and we are well on top and looking to press home our advantage but it doesn’t and we’re back in a scrap.

Solid performance though and above all a win, with Perch, HBA, and Harper doing well, key players to come back into the side and one point out of fifth so things are looking up. However, Cisse’s form is now developing into a problem for Pardew, he is clearly bang out of form.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I also think part of Cisse’s goal problem is that Cabaye is not performing at his best. I don’t know off the top of my head but I’m sure a few of Cisse’s goals came from Yohan’s assists

• Carryingcoals

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:46 PM

jawballsaswallwell

I agree, but what are our other options? We lack strong substitutes on the bench who we can rely on. Say Cisse is dropped and we start Shola and Ba in a 4-4-2. Ba will feed off Shola like he has done in the past but it will mean Ben Arfa is pushed down the pitch more, acting as more of a winger than a forward.

I think we need to persevere with Cisse and the goals will come. Tiote and Colo returning will bring the best out of the rest of the players.

Ben Arfa is key for us, I feel this could be his final season at the club though. He is a head and shoulders above the rest. Surely a big club will see that if he maintains this level of performance all season.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM

last season

• Toon1978

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Having Tiote back is excellent but he did nearly cost us in the end lol. He was hanging onto the ball for to long at times but he will get better as time goes by. Same for Cisse. When he get’s his first goal then he won’t stop. As i have already said, HBA was outstanding and it would be a shame to drop Perch as he has also been excellent.

• fungus44

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:48 PM

like all goode strikers he needs that goal to get him fireing and then like Ba he will be on fire just watch

• bollance

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Carryingcoals

At half time Cisse ran off down the tunnel while Ba put his arm around carver and they went off together. They seemed happy enough with each other.

Cisse does not score easy goals so when he does score it will be a goal of the season contender 😉

• bollance

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM

We can’t afford to play like that away from home as we will lose. Even at home to lesser teams we risk losing too.

Fortunately I don’t think we can play much worse so there is only one direction we can go! And we are a point off arsenal and man city?

Cabaye had a bit more bite about his play today. Happy about that as he is getting better

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Bollance
    Are you sure because we have it on authority he acted like a ‘twat’

• bollance

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Pappa

Cabaye set up Cisse away to Swansea and at home to stoke off the top of my head last season

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I think Pardew has some other ways to go. until Cisse finds his form. Ameobi and Ba the obvious one, or HBA in the hole behind Ba, or 433 with Ba playing central and Guti, Marv,or Oba wide.

Or persevere, which he is likely still to do for the time being. But Pards will be surely now be looking more closely at his options. He did with Ba and since – 3 goals in a game and a half.

• bollance

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Tads

Unless my eyes are deceiving me. But I doubt it as i am only 28.

This was at half time. Maybe it will b on motd tonight. Ba arm around carver smiling. Saw it via internet.

Before that it does sound like Ba was not so friendly

• pbNcl

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I thought we were exceptional! first half, best ive seen for months. second half we defended and did the job

a big 3 points

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Bollance
    I must admit i didnt see anything untoward about ba, thing sometimes when someones made there mind up about a player then there opinion simply wont change
    Personally i think ba has been fantastic for us this season but some ppl just wont give the lad a break

BPC
    Aye i dont think it helps that our midfield hasnt been on its A game but i think the problem with cisse is obvious you see he scores when he wants so he just doesnt want to yet 😉

• Thump

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Cissé didn’t have TOO bad of a game, in fairness. Not saying he was great or anything, but there was some good link up play between him and Ba. I wonder if it’s a mental issue with Cissé? Like, is he worried about continuing his form and now beating himself up about it?

• davis_toons

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I miss Alan Shearer penalty…

• Thump

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:12 PM

@pBncl: I agree that we were better than we have been so far but far from exceptional matey! First half we dominated in portions and when we were under the cosh it was because we invited it and then made daft mistakes.

As an addendum to that earlier post: I didn’t see anything about Ba after the pen, although I did have my head in my hands so…

• pbNcl

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I found it so. the passing and pace of us that first half was incredible. very very good

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM

jb

Am sure Pards will persevere with Cisse. All top strikers have barren patches. Torres is a £50m guy who went a fair while without scoring… but he’s a grafter on the pitch too. Once Cisse has refound his touch he’ll be about 20 this season.

• Magpie from Lithuania

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I would like to see this formation against reading;

—————————–Harper—————————-

————-Saylor———Colo——–Santon—–

———————-Perch———Tiote————–

———-Anita————-Cabaye————–Jonas

——————————-Benny———————

——————-Ba———————Cisse——-

i think, that would be a great expirement. With players we have, we could play this formation nicely.

I know it will be 4-3-1-2 tho.

—————————Harper————————

Perch———Saylor———–Colo———Santon

———–Cabaye——Tiote——-Anita(Jonas)—

—————————–Benny———————–

—————–Ba———————–Cisse———-

• bollance

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Tads

Ba has always come across laid back and well in interviews. His agents on the other hand have the bad reputation. It is apparent Ba was unhappy to be benched and pards felt he needed to speak to him so something was not right. But Ba has a case. Ba is on fire and Cisse just isn’t yet.

As the comentator today kept saying ‘if Ba had that chance then it would have been a goal’ time after time when Cisse fluffed his shot.

Big decisions for pards coming up regarding team selection. Good thing for pards is he can pretty much choose who he wants and stan behind the fact we have lots of games coming up.

In a way with players coming back having lots of games will help the squad as a whole get up to speed because up until now we are in about second or third gear.

But the good thing is we are in Europe and doing ok in the league.

• Magpie from Lithuania

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:20 PM

i would like to see a 3-2-3-1-2 formation. Really. I don’t mean i am against 4-4-2 two or 4-3-3, but am very curious, hope AP reads my post, and tries it in training. It is very very flexible, short – long passing. Defendin, attacking, puting presure on and countering also. It could be a revolution.

• davis_toons

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM

What is those issue abt when BA put his handsover NO.2 at the end of the game? Does anyone understand?

Is there a prob btw Ba and Cisse?

• Magpie from Lithuania

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM

3-2-3-1-2, if more attacking bite needed, AP could put Sammy, Fergie or Marveaux on the wing.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM

So twice this season, Pardew has been surprised by the choice of our penalty taker. The penalty taker picked by Pardew isn’t taking the penalties, others are. Understandable reasons but could have cost us 2 points.

• bollance

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Davis

Don’t think there are any problems. Sure pards will galvanise the team.

When will Ba get to take a pen? 😉

Next up, man U in Capital cup at OT. Not a ground we have done well at in recent times. Presume we will play our cup team. Another good test for them.

• bollance

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The comentator said Anita was in Amsterdam for the birth of his daughter On Friday but yet still played today. He can not be too settled yet with a wife and new child abroad. Maybe they were waiting for the birth before moving permanently. Good effort to play today tho! And well too.

• Tsunki

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM

bollance the answer is ‘next time’. So the idea to give cisse the boost of a goal backfired. so what? Roll on next game.

It seems selective memory is in operation – are we rally expecting what is essentially a patched up team to gel instantly? be glad about the results I say.

I recall Big Al stepping up against Ipswich in 90 plus minutes against Ipswich at 3 all I think it was. Missed. They all do it.

• Tsunki

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM

@31 – if they let you play that many we will have more bite thats for sure. 🙂

• FatmanJoe

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Just got back from game and thought we played really well today, especially first half. Perch was OUTSTANDING today! I think we may have been guilty of undervaluing him in the past. He runs his socks off and gets all over the park. Harps, Williamson, hba, Jonas, cabaye and ba were our best performers. Williamson was solid as a rock at the back. One of those critic defying performances.

Crowd was quiet except for when tiote and shola came on and that quickly died down when we saw tiote was on a suicide mission. What was the lad thinking of today? He really put us under pressure with the mistakes and we completely lost shape. That last 15mins was awful and without willo and perch we would have had issues.

Taylor looked out of sorts today too.

But at half time we could have put away 3 and should have maybe had s penalty in the second half

Great being back at sjp again and looking forward to next time.

• Tsunki

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM

FMJ – glad you got my back I thought I was on a lone crusade with my report everyone seems to think we stank the place up today ha ha. I forgot to mention Harps – not only has he still got it but the old dog eems to have learned how to come out and attack the ball.

Big detail I missed out – I said I expected it to be a great atmosphere today – it turned out to be the quietest prem game I have EVER been to bar none. It was actually weird.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM

FMJ Tsunki

Really appreciate someone who can get to games giving us a proper balance review. Streams and highlights just aren’t the same. Keep it up lads

• FatmanJoe

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I haven’t read any of the comments yet but I might have guessed there would be negativity. We were by far the better team today IMO and that penalty miss hurt us a bit. Norwich threatened at times but we were really good at the back.

Which game you going to next tsunki? My grandad gets tickets from his rugby club and I’m hoping to get to 2 or 3 in the next couple of months.