Top Newcastle Stars To Start At Old Trafford

We’re slowly but surely getting some of our top players fit again, and when you consider the lads have got 8 points from 5 league  games, without much help from the likes of Fabricio Coloccini and Cheick Tiote, we’ve done quite well so far – now we need to go on a winning run to climb that league table.

Cheick Tiote in action for Newcastle on Sunday

It looks like Coloccini and Tiote are now ready to come back into the first team, and both will start tomorrow night against Manchester United, and it looks like Papiss Cisse could also get a start – and hopefully his first goal of the season.

We’re not much worried about Papiss – and he can score at any time – and Alan Pardew has said he’s still banging them in during training, and he’s had the chances to score – so one of these games he’s going to explode into scoring – just like Demba Ba did last season with that fantastic hat-trick at Stoke City.

Tiote played in the first game against Tottenham but then was out until the second half in Sunday’s game, and he was trying to dribble the ball clear too many times – shades of when he was caught in possession against Manchester City last season.

And he also quickly picked up a yellow card for a wild tackle, but that’s hopefully all a sign he’s short of match practice, and he will improve quickly once he starts playing regularly again.

And Fabricio Coloccini will start at center-back tomorrow night, and it’s good to have the captain back.

Alan Pardew talked about the two Newcastle stars being back for tomorrow night’s game:

“It’s great news for us having Colo available again. His influence in the dressing room is so calming. He gives us an assurance really. I think we have missed that, as well as the two other centre halves have done.”

“It is also difficult to sum up in words what Tiote brings to us. It is a huge presence for the team and some of our rhythm is gained by having someone like Cheik in the side.”  “He can put the opposition on the back foot.”

“He brings a level to training that a few more players could do in my experience. A level of intensity about winning that he showed in all the wrong ways on Sunday! But that’s him. He is very important to us. There is no doubt in my mind, if he is fit, he plays in this team. “

Do you think Alan Pardew likes Cheick Tiote as a player? 😀

Cheick may take a couple of games to get in the groove again, but we’ve seen Fabricio come into the side after an absence, and play as though he’s never even been away.

It will be great to have both lads back again tomorrow night.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• RonVanDam

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Still waiting on Sammy to improve our attack

• Carryingcoals

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I know we always tend to get stuffed at Old Trafford but I wish we would put our strongest available team out for this game. Ba and HBA could cause problems and then when you think Tiote and Colo could get playing time, we’d give them a go at least.

Man U will rest some stars, for example I can’t see RVP playing. I doubt we will play our first team 11, we’ll make some changes but a full strength side could really have a go at a Man U team that won’t be its strongest. The CB’s will probably be Evans and Rio who are by no means impenetrable.

Plus I still think we could beat Reading with the same, full strength side we could put out against United.

I can’t see it though. We’ll field a weakened side and I think that’s an opportunity missed. My opinion anyway.

Teams like Palace have won at OT in recent seasons in this competition, as unlikely as it sounds I think we could get a result with our strongest team available.

• sticklebricks

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I think Demba should rested for the Man Utd game. Cisse to start alone upfront, if Demba were on the bench Cisse would forever be waiting for Demba to come on. If Demba’s left at home then Cisse hasn’t got that worry. Would also be good for Pards to show whose boss/assert his authority..

Think Harper deserves another shot in goal at the weekend as does Elliot after his Europa League performance so my team for Wed:

Elliot

————Harper———–
    Tav—colo—Saylor—Santon
    ——-Tiote—-Bigi———
    ————Vuckic————
    Obertan————-Marveaux
    ————–Cisse————–

Subs: Elliot, Anita, Ferguson, Gosling, sammy, Cambell, Shola.

• Carryingcoals

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM

sticklebricks

Sorry, I disagree. Playing Cisse as a lone striker is suicidal. I’d honestly rather start Shola. Cisse can’t hold the ball up and will be isolated. We will struggle to cope with the midfield battle, even with an almost fully fit Tiote, Cisse will get very limited supply. We average 3 shots on target per away game this season (3 on the bar v maritimo classed as off target) and we will not get a lot of chances at OT whatever side we put out.

We either go for a win and start Ba or we let Shola have a go, even though he isn’t a 90 minute player. Cisse up front alone will be like playing with ten men.

• RonVanDam

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Anyone notice how horrible our goal diff has been in the last 2 season regardless of how good our strikers are?

We need more creative players feeding our strikers. Currently we have HBA and Cabaye (through passes). Our wingers need to be doing this as well.

As for our backs, we need more defenders like a younger Rio Ferdinand who cleans up and maximises his speed and a defender like Vidic who commands and structures the team from the back with his tough tackling and leadership, Collo is good, but we need better players. If we get these right, we would be at a much better position come the conclusion of the season

• Carryingcoals

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Provided everyone is fit, I’d like us to go for it. Cisse to come on for the last 20 minutes to try and nick a goal for us.

Harper
    Anita Taylor Colo Santon
    Bigi Cabaye Tiote
    HBA Ba Jonas

If we play the likes of Cisse from the start, added with people like Tav and Sammy Ameobi or Obertan from the start we will be outclassed whichever side Man U put out. I love Cisse, I like Tav and Sammy and want to see them do well but this is Man U away – even with our best available 11 we will struggle. I personally think we should give it our best shot but I doubt we will, that means Pardew will be under pressure for another Premier League result at Reading.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Ibiza…apparantly being stuck in the past (or on an old thread) is my thing ;D lol

Ibiza your my Mumford & Sons:

…” ‘cus I will wait, I will wait for you
    And I will wait, I will wait for you
    And I will wait, I will wait for you
    And I will wait, I will wait for you”

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM

*you’re 😀

• 619nufc

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Mike Williamson got Man of the Match against Norwich, the first time he has received the award in a Premier League game

To be honest, I’m happy for him, he’s got a lot of stick over the last year, fair lay to him 🙂

• rainrix

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Ron… Last season we had + 5 GD. While i agree we should and could score more goals, our defending was abysmal sometimes last season when we would collapse and let 5 or 4 in at a time. It says something when you have the 3rd highest amount of clean sheets in the country but barely have a positive GD 🙂

• tdt

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Another possible XI for tomorrow:

————Harper———–
    Tav—colo—Saylor—Santon
    Obertan-Tiote-Bigi-Marveaux
    ——-Cisse—-Shola——-

Subs: Elliot, Anita, Ferguson, Gosling, vuckic, sammy, Cambell.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Jesper…Perhaps I should sing some jack johnson?

“No I can’t always be waiting, waiting for you”

I’d be surprised to see many normal starters tomorrow night against Man U. I imagine those looking for some match fitness or returning from injury will get at least a run out.

Either way, I’m just happy to see lots of games of the lads playing.

• Carryingcoals

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM

619nufc

I wholeheartedly agree. He’s done well in Colo’s absence.

It’s like if you’ve got a new computer but somethings wrong with it, you go back to using the old family computer for a while. It’s got basic inputs and does the job but it’s not that great. This is what Williamson is like. He seems to be programmed to kick the ball in to touch and pass the ball back to the GK, whereas Colo is the upgraded model with a lot more features! Williamson still functions but Colo has a lot more to his game and therefore to the team.

The constant berating of Williamson when he is playing alright is stupid. We know exactly what he’s like and how he plays and what sort of class he is. He’s been fine recently, not flawless by any means but he’s deputised well.

Final point, we ae a much, much better team WITH Colo though, that must be clear.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Ibiza…I think you’re right Pardew will treat the Cup as the EL; fringr players and those coming back from injury will get a runout – I am sure those who are not firing yet will as well 🙂

4-4-2 with both Cisse and Ameobi on top or 4-3-3 with Marv, Cisse and Oberton on top 🙂

• Carryingcoals

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Team tomorrow:

Elliot
    Anita Colo Saylor Santon
    Obertan Tiote Bigi Marveaux
    Shola Cisse

? – surely he can’t put Tav in at RB for this tie…

Plus what I’ve just written looks way to attacking to go to OT, maybe we will just throw caution to the wind and go for it! Would love to get something from there, can’t stand them.

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM

This would defintly be my starting. XI tomorrow

Elliot
    Perchinio. Collo. Saylor. Jonas
    Abeid Tiote. Bigi
    Obertan/amalfitano. Fergie
    Cisse

Still rate fergie very highly, he deserves a chance

• 619nufc

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Carryingcoals

You’re right. Without a shadow of a doubt, Colo is on a different class to Willo, but Will is what I’d call ‘solid’.

People who go on at him all the time need to remember that he isn’t in NUFC’s first choice centre-back pairing, and CB is the hardest position to come in to if you haven’t been playing a lot.

Also, Colo is an Argentine international signed from a top club for £10mil, Willo was £500k from Portsmouth, and he’s been great value!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Finger players? Players on top of others? Jesper….what are we discussing here mate?

• tequilamag

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I think Pards should let Kets pick the team.

• Carryingcoals

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM

619nufc

I agree mate. The abuse he gets is completely over the top and undeserved.

• beefman13

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM

leazes end agree 100 per cent about fergie, he needs quality playing time, has not ever let us down and i rate him thew best of all our youngins, hes a terrific kid.

i would play marveaux and fergie on the left i think they would be great fergie overlapping and putting in great balls, abeid has a point to prove yea lets start him against man utd with tiote. why not.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Ibiza…that’s a good question ;D I am really sure lol

…I think I amon the wrong blog ;D sorry

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM

@beefman

Yeah fergie can play left back aswell can’t he, and he likes to do an overlap, so yeah it could work with marveaux on the left wing aswell 😛

• dave 1961

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Williamson gave away 3 goalscoring chances against Norwich those who say he was man of the match i suggest you download the game watch it sober you will then see how bad Williamson is he gives away a goal scoring opportunity 9 games out of 10.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Jesper…..Just to keep you in the loop…a new thread has just popped up. Should I expect to see you there in half an hour or so? 😉

Fergie looks a tricky little player. Definitely one of the youngsters I rate highest in the squad.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Dave…Whilst he probably gives away too many goal scoring opportunities, is it not naive to think a good CB wont give away any goal scoring chances in a game? Or am I taking your point too far?

• dave 1961

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

he’s not useless like some say but not good enough for a top six team.

• tequilamag

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM

@ Dave, strange we finished 5th last season and Willo played many games for us.

• dave 1961

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

tequilamag
    yes but when you look at the figures before Taylor’s injury you will see quite a difference, some thing like gone from second best defense to one of the worst.

• tequilamag

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Just checked his stats for last season, with Willo we won 13 drew 2 lost 7 conceded 29 goals in 22 games. Not too shabby. 41 points gained from 22 games. Over the season.

• tequilamag

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Collo was won 17 drew 8 lost 10 with 50 goals conceded. Slightly worse than Willo.
    Stats dont tell the entire story of course

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM

My team for tomorrow. Hopefully Alan will be taking notice:

Elliot

Gutierrez Tavernier Good Marveaux

Perch

Simpson Amalfitano Abeid Williamson

Xisco

I know it’s a weakened team, but we need to make sure that we’re tight at the back.

• cockneymagpie90

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM

MANU GAME..
    TAV-COLO-WILLO-PERCH
    BIGI-TIOTE
    OBER-AMAL-MARV
    CISSE

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM

You’re exactly right about Williamson. 9/10 times, his mistakes lead to a goal. The only reason why he has got man of the match was because he didn’t make a mistake which led to a goal (Norwich were poor in front of goal).

The same applies to Simpson (his mistake against Arsenal for example, led to a last minute goal which cost us the game). That’s why we didn’t make the champions league.

Williamson made an error against Norwich but he got away with it. It should’ve been 1-1.

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I’m convinced that pub league players are better than Williamson and Simpson and even Dan Gosling. They could cost us Europa league football this season. We aren’t good enough to get 4th place as we haven’t strengthened SUFFICIENTLY. IF we would’ve signed at least Debuchy, Alderewerield, Boudebouz and Remy, we would’ve challenged the top 4 teams. It’s frustrating as a fan.

• mauritius island