Gabby Obertan – All’s Fine At The Moment

Gabby Obertan played the whole game last night at Old Trafford against his former club, and he seems satisfied enough with the way the lads played, if just a little unhappy with the final result – a 2-1 defeat. There’s been some rumors that Gabby is unhappy at not getting enough first team games this season, so it’s a good chance to see what he said after the game last night.

Gabby Obertan – we played well

Gabby talked the Newcastle web-site after the game:

“It’s disappointing but to be fair, the way we lost it was not like we let them play,” “We did play well and we had a lot of chances which is quite unusual at Old Trafford.” “So it was disappointing but we have more time now to focus on the Premier League and the Europa League.”

“They played well and they had a very good side offensively speaking with Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez, but I think we did pretty well.” “We were unlucky with two great goals from them, but overall I think our confidence is quite high at the moment and we’ve got good things to take from the game.”

“I feel quite good at the moment anyway.” “It’s always good to see old team-mates and I feel good.” “The Europa League’s been good and every time I come on I feel good as well. Physically I’m fine and hopefully I’ll keep playing this way.”

“It’s a bit frustrating at times but there’s communication between me and the gaffer and it’s all fine at the moment.”
“I’ve just got to keep working hard and try to have a spot in the first team.” “Every game in the Premier League is quite hard at the moment.”

“It’s still the beginning and there’s not even been ten games at the moment, so we expect a hard game over there.”
“It’ll be good to see Danny Guthrie as well but if we can get at least a point there, that would be great.”

We’d like to see us get all 3 points at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday afternoon, in a game which kicks off at the strange time of 3:00pm. 😀

Gabby’s right in that there is a long way to go this season, especially since we are in the Europa League, and the former Red Devil should get plenty of playing time before the end of the year.

The Frenchman needs to keep his head down, work hard, and listen to what Alan Pardew and the Newcastle coaches tell him, and he’s become a better play and more able to use those skills he has more effectively on the field.

Gabby’s still a young lad, so he has plenty of time to develop, and for the record he now has 32 appearances for Newcastle with one goal.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• rainrix

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM

InB4AllsFineButYourPerformanceLOLOLOLOLOL

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I believe Pardew is very happy with Obertan, he is certainly a better player now than a year ago, with plenty of capacity to improve further and he’s at the right age. At times he flies past defenders and whips in fast paced deliveries into really dangerous areas. I thought he had a super first half last night.

• eastend toon

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

unfortunately i dont think he has the right instinct when he’s on the ball… he has no fire in his belly when attacking… doesnt have the confidence to skin players when he has them on the back foot.

IMO he will never reach his potential

• Ian Toon

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Jaw- to capitalise on Obertan’s delivery we need to get more players into the box. He can though improve his crossing. I thought he had a good first half but Ferguson negated his influence as the game progressed.

• rainrix

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Eastend… I agree on the instinct thing. Sometimes its better to not think and just do it. Look at cisse, he’s at his best when he just does something in a split second, but if he has to think about it, like when he takes a penalty (Norwich and that team in pre-season) he completely loses it.

• mushy

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I’m with you Jawballsetc although wee’re in the minority on here. I still have hope (not quite belief) tghat Obertan will make it. He has blistering pace, beat his man last night in a canter and is capable of holding the ball when necessary. His shortcomings are decision making with his final ball (cross or pass) and most importantly lack of confidence. But I think these can both be worked on and improved. Well that’s how it appears to me.

• bollance

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM

When u add the cost of the two teams last night we cost about £20m and they cost £40+.

Despite this gulf and fact they had 3 current England internationals in their team we gave them a good game. Take out colo and our team cost £10m to assemble

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Bollance…Some fans don’t see that as a positive though. We should spend what is needed to show ambition…supposedly. The fact they’re young and growing in to a team that was a goal off the pace last night doesn’t seem to matter.

I don’t share the view personally and am happy to wait. But as discussed, I suppose I have time on my side (of course not tempting fate – looks nervously around the room for something likely to kill me off at any given moment).

• TorqToon

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Mushy – Of course it’s possible. But it’s all about calculated risk. And picking a team before we know what kind if team man Utd would put out. They may very well have made a difference, they may well have not, played a full 90, then looked jaded for the weekends game. Reading, then Bordeaux in Europe and then man Utd again. We didn’t strengthen greatly in the summer so have to be clever in how we use our squad. And on a worse case scenario, we could’ve picked up injuries last night. And I for one would much rather have vuckic or obertan injured, than HBA and Cabaye.

In addition – I also believe that obertan can surprise a few people this season! His final ball is his major downfall but I see him improving with every game.

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I think part of the problem with Obertan is that he isn’t a regular so the understanding with Cisse, Ba isnt quite there, but if he can get quick delivery into dangerous areas then it’s hard to criticise him.

I also think he has trouble combining the leg work he needs to do up and down the flank for the team as well do his stuff in the final third, but he is definitely improving in that area. I think Milner is a great example of a player who does all that leg work, and still pops up at the byline cutting dangerous balls back. Obertan by comparison is a work in progress, but he has the advantage of searing pace, that’s a great asset at any level.

• tarie4

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM

mushy

when having a constructive argument with someone, its just not enough to day I disagree. One also has to give reasons why. I said AP’s selection (bearing in mind hr rates the Europa league above the capital one cup, and we have a crunch tie at home against Bordeaux on Thursday sandwiched Inbetween reading away and man u at home.)
    was perfect.
    now u disagree and i have no complaints about that, but i would like u to say more than just i disagree. What team did u want AP to pick?? (as i feel we will have a stronger line up against Bordeaux at home in the Europa, which is higher on said priorities)

• TorqToon

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Tarie – this was my argument against mushy’s post. However he has stated what he felt should’ve happened now (on this thread) which was better than just disagreeing out right!

A good solid discussion is what this blog is all about. But justifying your statements is a necessity.

• Unbelievable Tekkers

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Obertan is an awful footballer if he didnt have pace he wouldnt have made it as a professional. He’s got no footballing brain and his passing and final ball are nothing short of woeful.

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Ok just thought I would make sure Unbelievable Tripe didn’t leave the last word. Obertan has good passing play and is currently out of position. Back him up for a change.

• josh

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Gonna throw it out there, room for improvement but I thought obertan had a good game last night.

• BeeGuy

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Part of Obertan’s problem is that her out paces his teammates. When he sends in a cross, often everyone else is huffing and puffing to catch up with the play. So his crosses are usually wasted. He probably needs to recognize that and hit his passes back and across to players heading towards goal. What might make him better is if he had a Pirlo style attacking midfielder putting passes for him to run onto.

• Sav

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Obertan is “just a little unhappy with the final result – a 2-1 defeat” ???
    What you smokin’, Ed?
    Obertan has all the speed you could want and was up against a rookie last night. But how many decent crosses did he make?
    c/f Ferguson who put his right in the mixer.
    Sorry, but not for me.