Newcastle Goalkeeper Proves He Has The Ability

Before the game last Thursday we thought that Newcastle’s third string goalkeeper, Rob Elliot, was an average goalkeeper – at best – but we’ve been proved wrong (what again?), and Rob has put in two very good performances for Newcastle, without making one mistake, and he’s still young at on;y 26, and has ample time to improve further.

Rob Elliot – in action at Old Trafford

Against Maritimo in the Europa League last week, he must have made five or six outstanding saves to keep Newcastle in the game, and last night he made saves from Anderson and Welbeck in the first half that were simply first class saves.

Of course Rob has only been given his chance because Tim Krul was injured while on Holland International duty, but the London-born goalkeeper has done what you have to do in the game of football, and that’s taken his chance with both hands.

This is what the former Charlton goalkeeper told the club’s official website today:

“It’s a completely different world.” “The players you are up against, the players you are playing with – it’s a dream come true.” “As a footballer you always want to play at the top places, and to get a chance to play at Old Trafford, I’m really pleased.”

“On a personal point of view I’m pleased that the gaffer has got the confidence in me, both in Europe and against a team like Manchester United.” “They have been two tough games, but I’m delighted to have played them both and it will be great for my career.”

“I’ve done what I can do. I’ve made my saves, kicked well and just been solid.” “It’s been tough with Tim doing so well and Harps doing well, so I haven’t had the chance to prove myself, but I want to get as many games as I can and show what I can do.”

“If the time ever comes that I’m needed in the Premier League, then great.” “Last night was bitter-sweet really.” “We were really pleased with the performance of everyone but disappointed with the way it turned out.”

“But the gaffer said he was proud of the performance from everyone.” “We had them on the ropes in the second half and it just shows what a great squad we’ve got.” “People say we’re not the biggest squad.”

“But when you look at the amount of games we’ve played in such a short space of time and the amount of players who have played, they are all top-class players.” “We were able to bring on guys like Shane Ferguson – a full international – so that shows the strength in depth.”

Top clubs must have three goalkeepers who are good enough to play in the first team, and at Newcastle, we seem to already have those goalkeepers in place in Tim Krul, Steve Harper and Rob Elliot, with young Jak Alnwick coming through the ranks.

Newcastle are strong in the position of goalkeeper, with Tim Krul the Dutch number one close to world class, but he will now know he must keep his performances at the very highest level when he returns, to continue as the Newcastle number one goalkeeper.

The competition for the goalkeeper spot at Newcastle will only be good for the club.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• Novocastrian66

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Regarding previous thread. I’m all for stability but an eight year deal? The contract is too long, he will not see out this deal and we will be left with a hefty settlement.
    Hopefully I’m wrong.

• Graeme

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:18 PM

The first goal last night – he basically had no chance – the second one? Could he have covered his post a bit better?

Was very suprised when we bought him but he has proved he is a decent keeper; can he improve enough to become No 2 in front of Harper?? Time will tell, good luck to him.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Elliot initially looked a bit dodgy -but has proved (so far) that the sceptics are wrong. He was afforded opportunities to prove himself -and has done just that. Some other players seem to be given too many opportunities by AP when, in my humble opinion they will not make the grade.

• Graeme

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Novo at 1 – it is almost certain that there will be clauses in there that allow the club to terminate the contract under certain circumstances; Misconduct etc; with 6 months notice, etc etc

There are ALWAYS get-out clauses, for both sides.

• tequilamag

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I think Harper is in last year of his contract. Assuming he is not offered an extension I feel a bit happier that Elliot could be a decent back for Krul.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Novo….Tainted by the revolving door of managers in out past? Seeing as he has proved to be a good manager for us so far, I am pleased with this. The cost and impact on the club if he was poached away etc for me far outweighs the cost to get rid of him if needed.

On Elliot….Been saying it since the Europa game. The man has gone right up in my estimation, but then again, I don’t mind Simmo, so what the ‘eck do I know?

• Novocastrian66

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I think Elliot was a little supect for the second goal. It was virtually in the middle of the goal, not in a corner.
    He had no chance for the first.
    He had a great game against Maritimo, big improvement on last season so far for him which he has to be comended for.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Novo
    Maybe but the lad had like 5 players infront of him who all took up terrible positions, mainly collo tbf miles behind the rest and standing right in front of elliot forcing him to step wide to attempt to see by the time cleverly hit it elliot would not of seen than until it was 6 yards out and he was wrong footed by then

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Novo

No way he was at fault for me. It wasn’t in the middle of the goal, and he saw it so so late. Watch it again – it comes straight through a crowd of players, and Elliott can’t even see Cleverly when he strikes it.

• jimiley

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Great news that Pardew has been given an 8 year contract. It should have been longer. He is the man to get Champions League football and then win the title. Ashley knows what he is doing. A proven genius. He rightly sees greatness in Pardew and the backroom staff.

• cupiddstunt

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Biz to answer your question from previous @ # 113

The truth of the question is Rudolph was one game away from being handed his p45 and the team won so he kept his job, he then got them playing better and the results started to fall his way.

He then did over a period of time what chelski and man shitty have done and that is outbid the rest of the clubs for players and bought success.

His time at Aberdeen said he was pretty good manager but I think you will find he is as guilty as the worst of them for bloating the players prices and pay packets.

In fact probably worse as he has been at it longer.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Cupid….So it would be fair to assume the people saying his team being able to outplay Pardews (who has only been at the club a short time) and therefore Pardew is not up to standard is a little silly?

Thanks for clearing it up, I thought that was the case 🙂

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Why is there some moron pretending to be Ruddy again?

Oh my, what fulfilling lives they must have.

• bamble

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Alright guys, first time poster, been reading for a couple of years. Does anyone know when Carr signed his 8 year contract? I was just wondering if they were all linked in to finish at the same time.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM

TDS….He left as he could no longer continue to struggle with NUFC (Fake Ruddy that is). Seems that’s not the case. Really really bizarre. Fulfilling indeed.

• cupiddstunt

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Biz @ # 12

Saying that outlook is a little bit silly is like saying a pork chop is a pig that is a little bit dead. 😉

I just shows the absolute rank ignorance of the posters posting it.

Manure is a team that has been built over the last twenty years so the players in it be they first teamers or second string have been in the system for an age so should be able to do what is expected with reason whereas NUFC are a team that is still in flux as it were.

Give AP another two seasons and if he is no further forward then it may be fair to be asking about his credentials as by then he should have HIS team around him.

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

cupid

A misunderstanding of the phrase ‘long term project’ appears to be an issue here. Most seem to think that it’s refering to next week.

• Marty-Toon

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM

On last thread
    Ok lads,
    I reckon we also will be between 6-8 place.I can’t see us gettin into 5th this year.
    A lot of clubs spent big this summer which of course doesn’t say they’ll do well because of expenditure but it’ll be tough to break 5th.
    The one thing that may get us there is with Cisse scoring again and BA off to a good start that we see those 2 guys scoring like Cole n York did for utd.
    I reckon they’ll find the partnership coming together soon.
    The fear I have for the team is one or 2 weak links.
    We have quality in the reserves,Abeid,Bigi,Vuckic,Fergie,Tav,red headed dynamo,Gosling.
    I think a major weak link is Obertan and AP seems to want to make a point in putting him in the team until he comes good.
    Obertan even says himself that he was happy with his display last night.
    He didn’t appear in the 2nd half !

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Cupid… I like that 🙂

I think a lot of it comes down to some fans just don’t believe that Ashley is actually trying to achieve anything other than a stable advertising board. I can’t help but feel he could achieve that with a much smaller amount of effort. At the end of the day, I don’t know. I’ve never met the man nor do I understand his inner workings (other than he likes money and clearly food).

I can see good going on and do buy in to the long term project, so have an easier time going along with it.

Either way, I don’t see what people aim to achieve other than simply venting. If someone is that disgusted with the way things are going on at this club we all, what are they planning to do about it? Professional whingers some people. Not just some toon fans, but people the world over. Shame, but a fact of life (and that ain’t no fuct 😉 )

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Marty….

6th – 8th is a reasonable expectation imo. I do think we can get 5th, but it’s way too early to say. Injuries, other teams issues and of course the luck factor will all play a part in a long season. I would be shocked to finish out of the top 8 though.

On Cisse and Ba, perhaps it is just a case of them both being in form and having confidence to make the partnership work. Two things have absolutely delighted me this season, the first being Ba back to scoring and now Cisse getting going to. Could be an exciting time coming up and I will happily eat my words as I have said I don’t see the two working together, I suppose I can’t be right all the time 🙂

I honestly see something in Obertan. He spent a long time at Manchester and he was clearly troubled when he left. Some players need to be happy and confident, he seems to be starting to get that together and the performances overall have improved. Not to the standard we want, but that should come. If not, we’ve wasted more then £3m before.

• bollance

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Yet another player making a name for himself as part of our cup team.

Who is next to star?

• Ian Toon

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Jim Iley. Your not the midfield player who captained the toon to promotion in the 1960’s(??), Ex Sheffield United .

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:16 PM

TDS – Fake Ruddy was actually the Beardo/Beardo Ameobi character. I had a bit of an exchange the other day upon which he said football was beneath him and his demise would be on my conscience. I assumed he was joking. He’ll probably devise yet another zany, madcap yet whimsically witty alter-ego for our delight and amusement.

I had to go but apparently BandB thought I was being insincere? Moi? Also just FYI, I am not a Kitchen Fitter. And that’s not a euphemism.

On the Alan Pardew Project spanning 8 years, perhaps Mike is trying the SAF / Arsene Wenger approach to management stability?

Finally, on Elliot’s 2 conceded goals, can’t really blame keeps for goals like that – forwards who aren’t closed down properly can virtually pick their favourite side of goal curling pass knowing the keeper will be unsighted. If their is a melee in front of goal, the keeper’s view will always be reduced, it’s the defence’s duty to close that angle down for him, otherwise they are part of the problem.

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Bring back Ruddy ! (the real one)

Bring back Beattie! (although he will more than likelycome back of his own accord late December when the Debuchy thing gets stoked back into life for January).

Bring back bringing things back!

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Oh and bring this blog back to life because I reckon I’ve killed it again.

Sorry, sorry everyone, sorry.

• Marty-Toon

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM

@ibiza
    I agree that we can all see something in Obertan
    The guy has talent and speed to burn,but then why can’t he just do the thing every winger has been taught from they were 10 years old and cross the ball?
    Listen the simple fact is ht Fergie did more damage in 60 seconds tan Obertan did all day.
    Fergie doesn’t do too much on the ball,he skips a defender and puts a cross in the danger area.
    It isn’t rocket science really,he isn’t the only pro that does it though.
    Tis strange when he oozes talent yet the end product is as we’d say in Ireland PISH poor

• mot7

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM

out of the c1 cup and playing under strength side in euro cup and probably the FA cup no chance of winning the league so what the f***k are we actualy trying to do at this club .

• Ian Toon

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Ibiza- thought you handled the rant poster very well. Reminded me of an apparent drunk in a multiplex cinema or library. That and word of Pardew’s extended contract got me thinking. With talk of breakaway blogs we need to sign you up contractually. I. ‘Ll have a word with Ed – sure he’d throw in home leave in South Shields out of Ibiza season.
    Told the ferry from North Shields is still operating. Take it you won’t be watching the under 21’s on MUTV tomorrow night. Hope we get a result.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Tsunki…Real Ruddy is still about. Doesn’t post as much, mainly down to the unwarranted negativity (this is an opinion…of course) and the general anger he seems to bring out in people. I do agree though, he should be posting more.

Beatrice will be back, when the club complete the signings planned in the summer and they once again match his ambitions. Well I hope so anyway, surely he hasn’t completely cut his ties with NUFC?

Anyway, back to being insincere and kitchen fitting for you.

• Rake

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Watched the game last night and thought Fergie’s cross was sublime. We don’t create enough chances in games from crosses if any?
    We have Ba and Cisse who are good in the air and no one whipping in crosses… it hurts my brain

• Ian Toon

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Bollance- Woodman and Armstrong both start.

• Marty-Toon

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Elliott did well,but our defence was shocking for the 2nd goal.
    We had like 7 players back and they just played ball to each other.
    The difference between utd and all other PL teams is they’ve gt more bite and really don’t know when they’re beaten,we’re becoming good at that but we’ve a lot to learn from the likes of them.
    They get a lot of luck but they also create a lot of luck by the pressure they put teams under

• Marty-Toon

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

@Rake
    With ya on that point mate
    Ts a no brainer

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Marty…..It is frustrating for sure. I guess with the obvious skill, pace or whatever, the only conclusion I can come up with is confidence. Whether you’re paid or not, it is a valid factor of life and I’m willing to wait and see….for now!

Mot…..Silverware is obviously the final goal for any football team. However, if you cannot see that we’re trying to build sustainable success then i really don’t know how to discuss this with you. What is it you want? Go all out for a cup this season? Have we not done this before? Then how come we don’t have a trophy? Oh right, it’s not that simple. Perhaps we can afford to wait a little longer whilst the improvements are being made? Maybe?

Ian…Rant poster? What blogs have you been hanging out on? 🙂 I wont be going anywhere. This is actually the only blog I use (I’ve always been dead against them, as they seem to take over people lives – No, the irony of how much time I spend on here is not wasted on me). England in the winter? Ian, I’m afraid you’ll have to do better than that. How about building a SJP in Ibiza? That I would like 🙂

If there is a link I would like to catch up on that….mind you, it’s Friday tomorrow, my last night to conquer the South Shields 😉 – Might have to rely on your analysis.

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM

mot7 – bit glass quarter full that post wasn’t it? You might be able to field that one around crimbo time with more success.

Fielding under-strength side against Man U? Maybe, but that competition was never going o be a priority.

Weakened Euro sides have been seen to be adequate and have saved us from injuring or tiring our regular fist team players.

possibly the FA cup?

Do we actually have to WIN the league this year to count it as a successful season?

I think what we are trying to do at this club is build a side, keep our financial house in order, provide stability and go on to start winning things. It just might not happen this year. But you have to admit, it’s been a good couple of years so far, and this season is hardly a disaster already is it? Chin up marrer!

• Dannyo

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Anyone know which number Armstrong wears for England?

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM

…and post 35 wins Random Question Award!

Ahem, no I don’t know. Sorry.

• santonthenewmaldini

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Feel it was a missed opportunity to beat Man Utd as they were there for the taking

Thought we played quite well especially keeping the ball why do we look more comfortable on the ball with the 2nd team and kick and rush in the premiership?

Vuckic for me needs to go out on loan to the lower leagues he needs to play up front with a small man next to him and a team that is going to cross it in for him all the time and he needs to get battered about and get his shirt dirty and develop a mean streak!

Look at Carroll in the Championship season in the 1st half of it he got flung about like a rag doll by defenders and in the 2nd half of the season he turned into a beast Vuckic does not have pace but he has a lovely touch and shot so needs to get more a presence on him to dominate players!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand