Big Future Lies Ahead For This Newcastle Youngster

James Tavernier was our Man of the Match on Wednesday night at Old Trafford with 47% of the vote, and his performance in that game shows that he should have a very bright future at Newcastle.

James Tavernier tackles Danny Welbeck on Wednesday night

James’ contract ran out in the summer but he signed along the dotted line on a new three year deal in July to stay at Newcastle, and Alan Pardew decided not to send him out on any more loan deals, since he’s now good enough to challenge for a first team place at Newcastle, at only 20 years old.

James played 50 games out on loan over the last eighteen months or so and spent time at Gateshead, Carlisle, Sheffield Wednesday and Milton Keynes Dons, and he has improved a lot during that time, and put in an excellent performance for e the side at left back at Manchester.

This is what James had to say in the local press today:

“There’s a lot of games coming up with all the European games, and maybe at the moment my best chances are in the full-back positions.” “But if an opportunity comes at centre-back I’ll take it with both hands.” “I’m hoping for a chance.”

“Every game that comes along – European games, cup games – I’ve got to keep working hard in training to get my chance in them. Hopefully I can get a Premiership start. I’m really working hard at that.”

“At left-back I like cutting inside, and I played centre-back in some of the pre-season games when Chris Hughton was here as manager. At right-back I like attacking and getting forward, but I feel comfortable in all defensive positions.” “I feel like I’m a really versatile player and I really enjoy wherever I play.”

“This is a great opportunity for me to be involved, and to have so many games is just a great experience of a different kind of football again,” he commented. “This will push me on to become a better player.” “They helped me massively.”

“When I went to Gateshead the season before last, that was kick-off for me. Since then I went to Carlisle, MK, Sheffield and those loans have really developed me as a player. I’ve learned a lot.

“We were looking for the best clubs to match my football, and coming from Gateshead up to League One, all the clubs I was at really helped me as a player and developed different parts of my game.”

With Cheick Tiote now fit,  it could be that Cheick and Fabricio Coloccini are the only two players who keep their starting positions from Wednesday night at Reading tomorrow.

We would expect Vurnon Anita to switch to right back, assuming Danny Simpson is still out with his hamstring strain, and Cheick to start in defensive midfield.

There could be chance for James to get a start at right back we suppose, but this is the side we think Alan Pardew will start tomorrow afternoon at the Madejski Stadium:

Harper
Anita Coloccini (c) Taylor (S) Santon
Ben Arfa Tiote Cabaye Gutierrez
Ba Cisse

We can see James becoming a starting full back in the not too distant future at Newcastle, and he’ll be another success story from the Newcastle Youth Academy, which he joined from Leeds United when he was just 15.

James has 5 starts for the Newcastle first team, including three this season, and he’ll get a lot more playing time at Newcastle after the very solid performance he put in at Old Trafford on Wednesday night.

It’s always great to see our youngsters coming through at the club.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• vuckic

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Tavenier has a bright future the club shud nt buy another right back

• Dannyo

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Abeid pouring his heart out on twitter…

• bamble

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM

@Vuckic
    I think they will just because I can’t see Simpson wanting to stay around. Then I think debuchy would be a good option, because if we have tavernier coming through, you don’t want to sign another young right back. I think it all depends on how they rate tavernier at the end of the season. If they think he can do a job, they may decide to not bother signing anyone and put the money towards something else. This is assuming Simpson goes.

• Krul to be Kind

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I’m really looking forward to seeing Ben Arfa up against Ian Harte on saturday, he will cause havoc, the weakest left back in the league up against one of the most creative and unpredictable attacking players in the league HTL

• Krul to be Kind

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM

@Dannyo

Whats up with Abeid?

• jayphoto

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Think he’ll be a centre half in the long run! With his pace he’d be perfect for a high line back four, he has a leap like a salmon too and at 5″10 hes bigger than cannavaro was, if he was 2 inches taller no one would question him in the middle, his leap can account for those inches

• Toonboy_84

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I think Reading is going to be our strongest line up of the season so far. Shame if krul doesn’t make it.

• vuckic

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

@bamble I guess u are right danny myt leave in january so debuchy is the way to go.I thnk its high time the clubs benches jonas because I feel he is our attackin weekness.Marveaux and Ferguson shud step up

• vuckic

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM

We wud play like this.

Krul

Simmo. Talys. Collo. Santon

Tiote. Anita

Ben Arfa. Cabaye. Marv\Fer

Ba\Cisse

This way jonas defencive duties are covered by Anita and Fergie as a fullback turned to winger can track back effectively n also attack tenaciously and let’s face facts fergie can cross effectively wit dat sweet left foot

• jeff

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM

christ people overrate fergurson

• jeff

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM

poor abeid . . . i like him & really want him 2 succeed. imagine this line-up in 5 years

bigirimana – abeid
    ameobi – vuckic – fergurson
    campbell

if vuckic can play like fellaini that would rule

• vuckic