Newcastle To Concentrate On Strengthening Defense In January

Even with the new eight year deal in place for Alan Pardew and the coaches at Newcastle, there will be absolutely no change in the way the club is run, so don’t expect too much money to be available in the transfer market for big signings.

Mathieu Debuchy – a target in January?

Newcastle will continue to operate rather frugally, but at least the club are balancing the books,  and seem to already be in line with the new Financial Fair Play rules which cannot be said for the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea, who are still spending way above the  revenues they take in every year.

There may be an opportunity for Newcastle to bring a couple of lpayers into the club in January, with defenders Douglas of FC Twente and long term target Mathieu Debuchy of Lille both possibilities.

And it seems the defense is what we need to strengthen th most, and the facts speak for themselves as last season we conceded 51 goals, which is the most of any side finishing in the top eight.

It looks like Alan will try to bring at least one defender through the door in January, and he still thinks Newcastle can make trophy signings, as he had this to say to the local press today:

“Personally we would look for another defender in the next window – without losing anybody. But we will have to see.”

“What sort of signing would you call Papiss Cisse?” “I think it is a trophy signing in my view – they might not want to call it that.” “But £9M for a striker is a lot of money.” “You look at Premier League clubs outside the top four, and we are all spending the same amount of money.”

“I definitely think we have the strikers now, and that it is about whether we are going to be good enough to keep the goals against column down.” “I think it hurt a little bit last year.” “We are getting better and hopefully this year it will improve.”

As well as bringing new players into the club, Newcastle have to retain the top players we already have, and we may have another circus in January with Demba Ba, since we are told that release clause become active again.

But the bottom line at Newcastle is that if a player doesn’t want to stay and play for Newcastle, we should let him go.

It’s really as simple as that, and if Demba Ba doesn’t want to put a stop to the nonsense going on with his agents trying to get him out of Newcastle,  we should probably let him leave and bring in another striker.

That would be a pity because he’s an excellent striker who has played great so far for the club, and scored 20 good goals, but he also has to show a commitment to Newcastle.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• Tsunki

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Back in January with same/ lower bids?

teuilamag – just in case you missed it, bollance @155 reserve team review –

• Tsunki

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Bah! Tequilamag !!! And I was just about to rib ED for sayiing Debuchy was a Traget. 🙁

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

damm not even highlights of tonight s game shown in India

• Tsunki

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Roshan you may have to go the way of internet feeds. Are there any, btw?

• ~Anita One Bites the Dust~

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Simpson + 1mill-1.5mill for Enrique. Fair trade.

• Super Magpie

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I’ve got to disagree with Pardew saying £9m being a lot of money for a striker. Most clubs in the PL spend over £10m on very average strikers.
    We did well to get him for just £9m, considering in the previous summer we were quoted £15m.

Same with Ba too, we payed £2m in agent fee’s and look what have got in return. Unfortunately all signings can’t be like that. Now and again we have to spend a bit more than we want to, because in the long term it will pay off. I think we should go all out for Debuchy in January.

• tequilamag

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Which one is Debuchy again ? cant remember him being discussed before.

• Tsunki

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

seriously Enrique could be a cut-price bargain. still has his best years to come. Howay lads we’ve had our fun, if he just said ‘I made a big mistake blah blah..’ I would pick him up from the station myself. And treat him to a bite at La Tasca.

Now, who would we shift around the back four then?

• Tsunki

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Debuchy!
    Debuchy!
    That boy is hard to get.
    Debuchy!
    Debuchy!
    ..but we could sign him yet.

• tequilamag

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I thought the Enrique Jonas parnership was great and I am not one to bear a grudge but I think Santon has adapted to PL a lot quicker that Enrique did.I would have Santon over him. If he did come back though the obvious thing would be to switch Santon to RB.

• tequilamag

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM

For feeds I normally go for Ilemi.bz. Pretty reliable

• Nufc-83

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Lol santon over enrique he wes playing as one of the best lbs in Europe for us. Would take him back in a heartbeat.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Is usually excellent for streams. Doesn’t seem to have been updated for today yet.

So, is Cabaye and Colo definitely out or is there a late judgement call happening?

Am I right in thinking the following are still out, Krul, Simmo and Raylor?

• nico

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Is there any real need for Debuchy now. We have Anita and Tav is looking real class. Central defence and a quality winger are higher up there now. Saying that I’d still be gald if he came.

• nico

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand

You are correct in thinking that and apparently they are def out.

• tequilamag

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Nufc-83 I am happy I was able to bring laughter and joy into your world

• pawl250

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM

My team for today

Harper (Krul if fit)
    Anita STaylor Perch Santon
    Arfa Tiote Bigi Jonas
    Ba Cisse

I choose Bigi because he deserves to start he has been the most impressive of our signings and him and Tiote would certainly be a brick wall in midfield.

Anita full back because his pace, physical side of the game suit him at fullback. I can’t see him and don’t see him as a centre midfielder. He has been a much better fullback than midfielder so far. Also his passing in final 3rd on the wing will come in handy!!

The team will be though

Harper
    Perch Willo Taylor Santon
    Arfa Anita Tiote Jonas
    Ba Cisse

Anita maybe fullback as Perch hasn’t look good in that position, Pardew must agree as he has swapped them twice now!

Still this will be our 11 to play today without a doubt, unless Krul is fit!

• tequilamag

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Buenos tardes Ibiza

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Nice… Cheers. I don’t think this is more Pardew mind games, like with Benny against Spurs. Still think we should be strong enough.

On Debuchy….started playing Fifa 13 last night, so I clearly know my stuff 😉 – Signed Debuchy, got man of the match and a goal on his debut. Mind you, Gosling got two, so maybe you could question how realistic it is.

I didn’t really think there was a great need for him before, but would certainly be pleased if he arrives and will definitely upgrade our options.

• pawl250

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM

If I could choose a defender to buy it would be Mbiwa! He’s versatile, young and will be the best centre back in the world in 6-7 years time.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Tequila….Good day, good sir. How is ones Saturday going?

• tequilamag

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Well still morning over here amigo but sun is shining and all is well. Only black cloud on horizon is Berbatov is out injured which cocks up my fantasy team.

• ppb

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

ibiza is perchys rating in the 70s?

• jawballsaswallwell

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I think the real value of a youth policy is often overstated and is perhaps being over emphasized by Newcastle.. The only players in the past 10 years that we have successfully brought through the system are Taylor, Carroll and Krul, we can’t take any real credit for Bigi. By far the greater majority of young players don’t make it, so if we eventually produce one every couple of seasons we’ll be doing really well.

It seems to me that the players who are going to make it at the highest level are essentially born not bred and clubs basically simply facilitate their rise, with some clubs better at this than others. Newcastle have traditionally been quite poor in this regard, considering the high number of Geordies who’ve played at the highest level at other clubs over the years.

I think investing in youth is a great idea, particularly identifying genuine young talent as Carr has done, but it’s nowhere near enough, we will have to primarily bring in established quality if we are to continue to improve and the higher our profile becomes the harder it will be to unearth bargains.

Mike is most likely going to have to be prepared to put his hand in his pocket I’m afraid for all that has been achieved to continue and having come this far I think he will, otherwise we may have peaked and long term contracts won’t make the slightest difference.

• ppb

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM

has anybody noticed fifa has always rated saylor as a future world class cb?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM

ppb….Don’t hold me to it. But I believe he is 70 or 71. I know he was less than Williamson, who I’m fairly confident was 74.

• jesperfuglsang

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I know I am going to sound like an old fool, but the last time a owned a Fifa game was on PC many years ago 🙂 lol

…I do own FM 2011 (now I come to think of it that is probably not helping my case ;-)) lol

• Spellcheck

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Morning everyone,was wondering, can anyone tell me if their is a live stream of match this afternoon????? HWTL!!!!!

• tequilamag

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Good points Jaw. we all love a home grown player but sometimes have unrealistic expectations as to how good they really are. Chopra springs to mind.

• tarie4

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

pawl250

Noway shud U pair bigi and tiote together in a 442. I wish pple wud stop doing this. Maybe in a 433 etc but not in a 442. That’s the same reason cabaye and Anita shud not be paired together in a 442. (thats why perch then goes to midfield and Anita to fullback.)

Tiote and bigi dnt go forward enuf and join attacks, they sit back. There would be a huge gap between midfield and attack, (more than usual). It has to be Anita and tiote, or gosling and tiote.

• Tsunki

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM

jawballs – but surely all these established players came form an academy somewhere. Seems quite a few come not surprisingly from the likes of Chelsea Man u and Arsenal, but the smogs and mackems as well. Unlike the last two, we are a big enough club to hold on to them rather than seeing our best talents poached by bigger clubs. It would also have two stand out benefits, home-growing that is – cheaper, and with home-club ambition. Better than buying ‘established ‘ players at £15m or so as some would seem to favour.

• Super Magpie

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM

On Fifa 13

Buy Steven Caulker from Spurs, he’s went from 74-77ovr in 4 months. Got him for around £6m. Santon also rapidly gets better too.

• papiss_on_your_parade

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Super magpie – buy marcelo – went from 80/82 to 86 in a season

• Burni

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM

What platform U all got FIFA on? If its ps3 stick ur names up a d ill add U, and probs get beaten lol

• Burni

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I bought Jeffrey bruma, casemiro, canesin and bruma who plays lm. They’re all 70 odd but I know through FIFA 12 they all turn into absolute beasts. Also nicolai boilesen and Ahmed musa.

Do it

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM

On Abeid – if Gosling is ahead of you, you may as well just quit football and turn out on a Sunday for an amateur club.

• blew

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Which January are you refering to ? After a frugal summer transfer window it could be 2013 or 2014

• ppb

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

@burni buying it today
    name slim210lbs

• Tsunki

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Feeling better today Beardo? I thought football was beneath you?

• Tsunki

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Had a go on fifa 12 this morning to remind me how good I was at it. Cattermole and Larsson put 2 in after 5 minutes, confirming my suspicions. Switched it off and made a coffee.