One Of Newcastle’s Top Youngsters Struggling To Make It

It’s always very difficult to know which youngsters are going to make it at Newcastle,  and some who we thought would be almost certainties to become first team players at Newcastle – like Tamas Kadar as one example – just didn’t make it,  and the Hungarian International left Newcastle in the summer, when his contract ran out.

Mehdi Abeid – after scoring against Fenerbehce in pre-season

And it seems another youngster who looked top class may be falling by the wayside, and that’s Algerian U23 International Mehdi Abeid, whose career at Newcastle is now in peril, and while he played last night for the U21s in their 4-2 loss at Manchester United, he has never been part of a first team squad this season.

Alan Pardew is now trying to get Mehdi fixed up at a Championships club before the end of the year, and he had this to say about the 20 year-old:

“Players have jumped ahead of him if I’m honest.” “That happens in football – it happened to me as a player. I remember Steve Coppell bringing a couple of players to Palace who jumped ahead of me and a younger player came up from the group.”

“The only way to get that back is to fight and that’s what he’s got to do. He’s got to fight to try and get back into the team.” “If I’m honest, I’ve tried to loan him out and I think he should go out to the Championship, because he’s good enough to play in it.”

Mehdi Abeid scored a great goal in pre-season against Fenerbehce, and he also scored in the 5-1 win at Gateshead, so it’s always surprising when a player seems to fall back a bit.

But Alan Pardew is coming out and talking about Mehdi for his own sake, and it seems he refused to go out on loan last season, and wanted to take his chance in playing in the Newcastle first team – but that didn’t work out too well.

There’s still time for Abeid to make it at Newcastle, but as James Tavernier did for the last 18 months he may have to improve his game by playing at other clubs, before he can start challenging for a first team spot at Newcastle.

For the record, Mehdi has two first team appearances so far for Newcastle in competitive games.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• Super Magpie

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I wondered what happened to Abeid?
    With the likes of Cabaye,Tiote,Anita,Jonas,Gosling and Bigi ahead of him he has zero chance of playing ATM Unfortunetly.
    Hopefully he can loaned out to the championship.

Don’t know about today tbh, I’m a bit confused to why Coloccini played on Wednesday if he wasn’t 100%. I’ve got to blame Pardew for this one.

• catchy in norway

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM

why is it he can this this in Abeid, but he is blind when it comes to Obertan,, hmmmmm questions

• catchy in norway

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM

see this

• toon smart

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Regarding Colo and his hamstring injury – any injusy is never straight forward and sometimes the only way to know that you are ready to play is to play. There is no one to blame on this, it is just how injuries go

• Magickit

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I think he is a good player and physically very strong. … he plays good in pre season but now even not in the sub in euro and league cup. …… oh why? ? So many players ahead of him??

• catchy in norway

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM

pardew has his fav players,, that is plain to see

• Magickit

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Let me think suddenly jump ahead of him … bigirimana, vickic, gosling. …and who?

• ppb

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

and he probably has his faves based on training performances.
    obertan looks better than last year.

• catchy in norway

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM

ppb // Sep 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

based on what,, he still carnt cross a ball?? that can not be to hard to learn

• ppb

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM

last year he was losing the ball getting knocked off it and not tracking back. this year he is winning corners, slotting some accurate passes through defences and tracks back more.
    granted he needs to work on his crossing and decision making but he’s been more confident looking so far.

• bills-son

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM

It’s always surprised me the way that some fans on this blog rave about Abheid when in truth he has done very little to justify it. Just as the likes of Willo and Simmo have been overhyped with criticism so has Abheid been overhyped with praise. Pardew sees him in training every day and if he had deserved a chance he would have got it. Turning down advice to go on loan and get first team experience in the Champs shows bad attitude and immaturity imo.

• ppb

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

@catchy i suppose another problem is that while we have cm options and abeid has been surpassed there’s not much in the way of right wingers in our team so pards won’t send oba out reducing choice more

• WWYCD

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

But the blog experts said…they said…he was meant to make it

Heads will roll for this!

• ppb

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

@bills or maybe he was trying to show ambition?

• Spuggy

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM

My team (based on Collo and Cabaye out)…

Anita…….Saylor……Willo…….Santon

………………Tiote…………Jonas…………

….Arfa……………….Ba……………Marv.

……………………….Cisse……………………

2nd half (depending on fitness from midweek game)
    Ameobi for Cisse/Ba
    Perch/Bigi for Tiote
    Fergy for Marv (Marv deserves another go imo he hasn’t played that much)

• Super Magpie

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Toon smart

We have Physio’s who should know if he’s fit or not. So it’s either Pardew taking a risk or the Physio’s not knowing if he was fit or not.

Still, if Williamson plays like he did against Norwich last Sunday then I won’t be complaining too much about Colo missing out.

• AMEOBI

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Why do people go on about Obertan? Abeid is a CM not right mid.. So Bigirimana, Gosling are both ahead of him, fair enough.
    Pardew knows the players better than everyone.

• BelfastMagpie

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

If Cabayes out,I’d assume Gosling and Tiote will play in midfield.

Or maybe not.

• Super Magpie

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Spuggy

That’s exactly my team too. I also think Elliot should start instead of Harper. ( I have nothing against Harper, infact I have a lot of respect for him). But I think Elliot has played magnificently in his last couple of games.

• nico

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Mehdi Abeid impressed me in pre-season and I can’t understand why Gosling is ahead of him. Pards obviously watches them in training and maybe he thinks Abeid needs more game experience.

• nico

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM

BelfastMagpie
    I hope Gosling doesn’t play. Surely Anita would come in. I’d play Tav right back as well.

• check the toastie

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Team Pardew will pick, guranteed.

Harper
    Perch Willo Saylor Santon
    Ben10 Tiote Anita Jonas
    Cisse Ba

Quite clearly OK, but it has been proven many times that certain players are simply not producing the goods in that formation in those positions.

I would go with.

Harper
    Tavernier Saylor Perch Santon
    Jonas Tiote Anita
    Ben10 Cisse Ba

Worked for us last year, should this year as well, please Pardew let your team evolve,

• toon smart

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

@ Super Magpie

My point is that it is not that easy to say if some one is fit or not. You can do all the orthopaedic and functional assessments but an injury can still be aggravated.

So, in my opinion it not that easy to blame Pardew or the physio because if injuries were that simple, you wouldn’t have players like Owen Hargreaves.

• nico

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

…………………….Harps or Elliot………………….

Anita………Saylor……..Perch………Santon

………………Tiote…………Jonas…………

….Arfa……………….…………..…Ferguson

…………..……Ba………….Cisse……………

I’d love to see this line up. Give Fergie his chance as Marvo has been very average. Perch for Willo as he’s got more pace and composure.

• BelfastMagpie

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Nah Gosling offers more of an attacking threat than Anita.

Anita should play full back.

It’ll probably depend on formation.

• 89Norcal

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM

People should lighten up on Obertan. I’ve seen him improve by very noticeable margins over the course of preseason, Europa League and the first stint of the PL.

Not to mention he’s working hard to become a decent winger in a squad that desperately needs more of them. People knock his crossing but his pace is a big reason he crosses too early as he’s one of the fastest players on the team.

But I’ve seen Gabby work magic out wide similar to Ben Arfa, and once he calibrates his wing play with Cisse and Ba he will be a major factor for us this season. Especially since the likes of buying a winger are low when we need a CB.

• nico

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

……………………….Harps……………………………..

Perch……….Saylor………Willo………Santon

………………Tiote…………Anita…………

….Arfa……………………………………Jonas

……………….……Ba……….Cisse…………..…

Without doubt though, this will the team Pards will pick. Maybe Anita and Perch swapping somewhere through the game.

• ArtyH

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I wish A.P would stop using the phrase ” If I’m honest ” , I expect him to be honest all the time, does he tell lies sometimes? Surely not. I am a big A.P fan and greatly appreciate his tenure at our club but sometimes he comes across a bit strange, like conducting an interview chewing gum…last week, haway its not professional Alan.

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Hmm, I’m a bit concerned with what Pardew’s saying here. Maybe this new 8 year contract was a mistake. Abeid is our most promising midfielder. He will be better than Cabaye. He is already better than Vuckic, Gosling, Amalfitano. Bigirimana etc.

It’ll be a big mistake loaning him out to a championship side.

Our club seem to be going downhill, just as we were starting to make a forward step.

You’ve got to sack Pardew for this.

• 89Norcal

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:28 AM

@ArtyH, they probably caught him out on his way down the tunnel. The gum and the repeat phrases, I wouldn’t put so much weight on such things. These guys are not bred corporate executives, they’re footballers and ex-footballers.

• nico

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Ketsbaia9

Obviously your joking??

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM

He’ll end up going to AC Milan and will turn into a superstar. How can he say that Dan Gosling and Bigirimana are ahead of Abeid. It’s a disgrace. I’ve watched Abeid on numerous occasions and he should be at least on the bench.

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM

No I’m not joking. Do you support NUFC? Have you ever seen Abeid play? Are you mad? I think you are.

• Super Magpie

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM

😆

• Super Magpie

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Kets

What is exactly is your objective in all of this?

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

There’s too much favouritism in Football. I understand now why Abeid has come out and said that he has been unfairly treated.

There’s players like Gosling, Simpson, Williamson and Shola Ameobi that’s getting into the team ahead of players like Abeid and it’s completely unfair.

Even Bigirimana shouldn’t be in the first team squad ahead of Abeid. He looks a good signing, but in my opinion, he doesn’t possess the qualities that Abeid has.

• nico

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Ketsbaia9

No I’m not mad. I’m a season ticket holder so yes I support the toon. You stated Pards should be sacked, surely you are mad fop saying that. I agree Abied has looked good in pre-season but we weren’t playing anyone decent. Against Man U he may look a worse player, just as Pards sees him in training every day.

• nico

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Ketsbaia9

Are you dating Abied??

• FatmanJoe

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Nico he’s winding you up pal. He spouts the same drivel on here every day coz the inside of the basement where he’s kept isn’t interesting but getting a rise out of people is.

He’s got no justification for anything he says and clearly doesn’t watch the games.

• blew

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM

The under 21s conceded 4 goals last night against Man U. In the last 2 weeks the under 18s have been thrashed conceding 7 & 4 goals, I have watched them and most of the players are no better than the dozen or so who were moved on in summer. Mr Pardew needs to look long and hard at he junior scouting levels. Poor defenders run through the club at all levels