Sports Writer To Swim Across River Tyne – Keeps His Word

There’s nothing like keeping your word when you are a journalist,  and it seems that’s exactly what Daily Telegraph sports writer Henry Winter is doing, after Mike Ashley surprised him last week, by offering Alan Pardew an eight year deal.

Henry Winter – to swim the River Tyne

Henry didn’t think that Newcastle owner Mike Ashley would stay loyal to Alan Pardew,  and said that if he was wrong he would swim the River Tyne, so we suppose he was quite sure about what he was saying at the time.

But unfortunately he was wrong as Mike handed Alan Pardew an eight year deal last Thursday,  and Henry is starting to get some swimming practice in we assume.

This is what Winter has tweeted from his Twitter account:

“I honour my bets. I promised to swim the Tyne if Ashley showed long-term loyalty to Pardew. He has, fair play, so time for dip in Tyne.”

“Thanks for tips on best spot for Tyne dip for SBR Foundation. I know it’s a dangerous tidal river. I’m getting expert advice. It will happen”.

That reminds me of  a time back in the late 1950s when  I swam across the River Tyne and back,  around about St. Antony’s estate where we lived, and it was a short trip down to the banks of the River, which were ;filled with rubber products dumped there by a nearby Angus Rubber Works.

And we had to cross a live electric rail line to get to the river,  and my mother used to go crazy, bless her heart,  if we went down to the river.

But I remember it quite well and the river in those days was filthy – before the big clean up started and fish finally returned to the river, and when I say filthy I mean filthy with all kinds of c**p literally in the water.

I hope you’re not reading this over breakfast this morning, and I have to hope my kids don’t read this.

We do some daft things when we’re young – or at least I did – and we wish Henry the best of luck.

And on the bright side – the River Tyne is a lot cleaner these days – or so we are told – perhaps Henry can tell us about it once he’s swum over, we assume he’ll swim back too. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Quiet the little rascal ED!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Daft things? Like supporting the toon?

• Magpie from Lithuania

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Jo Inge Berget

• Tsunki

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Whats the betting he ends up west of Haltwhistle for a 5 second swim in 3 feet of water. he never said where up the Tyne did he?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Tsunki….Where has this negative outlook come from?

Surely he will not only swim the entire Tyne, he’ll do it in record time and with a smile of his face and yes, potch in his mouth.

• Tsunki

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Ibiza – where were you when the blog needed you? It all kicked of and FMJ left the building, tsunki-style. I was there but it needed a level head. Fill in the white spaces yourself.

• cyprus

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Ah, those dreaded words, ‘goal line technology’. Saturday’s goal would’ve of course stood even with that. Goal line technology is like trying to stop a flood with a single sand bag. Goal line controversies are extremely rare, given the very few instances in the thousands of games played every week. What we need is video technology, what they’ve had in the USA for decades. Two optional challenges per game, per team, so you have to pick your moments, don’t use them up on stupid throw-ins. The ref has half a minute to review video footage and make a decision. If it’s inconclusive, he stands by his original call.
    What if there are no cameras? (rare these days in major divisions) Well, in those games, what we do now stands.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Ibiza
    Weekend away from the blog was good got me copy if fifa!
    Weekend on the blog was pure choas!!!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Tsunki…I heard your call, turned up and you weren’t there. Level head? Oh dear, what have I convinced you people of 🙂

Fatman has gone? Who is responsible? I shall not rest until I have answers and ultimately revenge.

• hatem786

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM

news in every norwegian newspaper is that newcastle will buy jo inge berget in january for 1,8 £ and some people in molde fk have confirmed it that they been in contact with pl team…i think we should buy some better then him,he is 22 and he has done well with molde and they won tippeligaen last year and they are 1 now this year and they ole gunnar solskjaer fonmer manu striker as manager

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Cyprus….It is rather limited information really and certainly wont bring an end to all controversy.

Tads….That’s how it seems. Although, I would just like to point out wor Shola has the top amount of assists in my league, so all you people who have said he’s cr*p all this time, clearly know nothing 😉

I think I may have finally found the ultimate formation (that simply cannot be beat). Stay tuned for more Ibizatoon footballing insight courtesy if fifa13!

• hitman

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM

just drooned the fka .lol

• solano

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Henry Winter…a man of honour and principle!
    If I were him, I wouldn’t dive in the Tyne too quickly as football can be as quick changing and fickle as the changing of the wind and the currents…Pardew could be out of the job if things took a bad turn before poor old Henry had time to get his stomach pumped.