The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Dutch International Still Has Big Future At Newcastle

10:58 am, Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

We had wondered why Vurnon Anita did not play on Wednesday night in the Capital One Cup at Old Trafford, or last Sunday at Norwich, when he was an unused substitute, and we had thought with the recent arrival of his new baby girl, he had been turning up to training with red eyes and suffering from a lack of sleep.

Vurnon Anita - in action at Everton

Some of that may have been in Alan Pardew’s mind but he has said today he knew the intensity of the game at reading would be better suited to a player like Gael Bigirimana, who ended up having a good game in central midfield for Newcastle in the absence of Yohan Cabaye, but we were surprised that James Perch was preferred at right back to Anita, who has looked class when he’s played there for Newcastle this season.

This is what Alan Pardew told the local Newcastle press today:

“I knew the intensity of the game – it was going to be like a Championship game. It would have that kind of energy.” “I didn’t want Vurnon to get caught out by that. I thought that game might suit Bigi more than Anita.”

“I knew Bigi, being at Coventry last year, would know what it was all about at Reading.” “I thought he played well – he can be very proud of his performance.”

We expect Bigirimana to start against Bordeaux on Thursday night, and he should see a lot of playing time in the black and white shirt this season, if he keeps up his good form – and he looks a great young player in the making.

We expect Gael to even get a call-up for the England U21 side, since surely Stuart Pearce has been made aware of the 18 year-old’s form for Newcastle, one of Stuart’s former clubs.

As far as Vurnon Anita is concerned, he will continue to get used to the English way of playing the game we invented, but he has looked good for Newcastle so far this season, and we think he will turn out to be a good acquisition for the club, but we think full-back may be his best position at Newcastle.

We think the Dutch International has a bright future on Tyneside.

All the 23 year-old needs to do now is make sure he can get as much sleep as possible at night, after the arrival of the new baby in the home.

But speaking from experience, that’s sometimes very hard to do in the situation he is in. :D

Oh well – such is life.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

Tags: Gael Bigirimana · James Perch · Newcastle News · Vurnon Anita

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 89Norcal // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM

1rd

I should probably go to bed now

• 2 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Ibiza I think you’re right, maybe it was bad timing to apply to the blog police, due to my recent horrific spelling mistake, and also the fact that I’m drinking coffee out of a cup that says tea. I’m incredibly sorry.

• 3 tequilamag // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Looking on the bright side if we beat Man u by 3 goals we go above them, and as Kets pointed out we should be beating teams like Man U.
    Happy days

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Conaldo…You are doing what? Not out of your giant sports direct mug? Shameful.

• 5 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Tequila – I believe the quote was “we should be hammering teams like Man U”
    I fully expect us to win 7-0, and if not, Pardew out. :)

• 6 santonthenewmaldini // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

We need to play Anita at full back

In an ideal world we would have him LB and Santon RB with Jonas and Fergy on the wings Cabaye Tiote in the middle with Arfa in a free role behind Ba or Cisse

Jonas problem on the wing is not that he cant cut it anymore its that he does not have a left foot so always cuts in we need to be whipping balls in as Fergs has done in the last 2 games

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Tequila and Wizard…We will only thump united if we play Abeid and definitely don’t play Willo or Simmo. As long as Pardew does that, then a landslide victory is sure to be ours.

• 8 tequilamag // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Lets hope Pardew reads the blog and takes up Kets suggestions. Its either that or 8 more years of misery.

• 9 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Ibiza – no, my sports direct mug is reserved for fine wines and other classy beverages. Don’t be silly. :)

• 10 beefman13 // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Anita is going to be a great player for us and a terrific accuasition imo, i hope the day isnt to far away when we can get maybe our best 11 on the pitch then we will see the team transform.

We have had the core missing for most of this season as we know and if you take that out of any team be it barca or man utd or city or r.madrid even chelsea they would all feel the difference no matter how strong their squads are.

Please a centre half of quality in january and we could be in the mix again.

• 11 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Ibiza – well that goes without saying :)

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Wizard…..You don’t have a collection of SD mugs? Personally it’s the only drinking device I have in my house. I obviously don’t use the same one for coffee as wine’s etc. Please.

P.S. I desperately want another way of wording drinking device, but cannot for the life of me come up with one. Oh well, bigger fish to fry and all that.

• 13 tequilamag // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Santon Jonas has no left foot, bad news indeed. I was reading on the blog last week that Tav has only one leg.
    Is it any wonder we are not playing at our best. The least you would expect of Pardew is that he picks players with all their limbs.
    Come on Pardew sort it out.

• 14 nufc 11 // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Anyone heard the rumour that Qatar Airways was bought the naming rights to SJP and are going to be kit sponsor once the virgin deal ends……

• 15 tequilamag // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM

nufc 11
    I started it.

• 16 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Ibiza – may I suggest the words “doohickey” or “whatchamacallit”
    Both genuine words on the iPhone dictionary.

• 17 rainrix // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM

ibiza… Beverage container?
    Tipple vessel?
    liquid refreshment Basin?

• 18 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Tequila you rapscallion.

• 19 jesperfuglsang // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Nufc 11…someone mentioned it last night I think, but I don’t know how valid the rumor is???

• 20 tequilamag // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Rapscallion I love that word.

• 21 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Rainrix….Decent.

Conaldo….Good effort, but clearly Rainrix has stolen the show here. You’ve become complacent since your first earlier today. You’d be wise to keep your head down lad.

• 22 beefman13 // Oct 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM

A team i would love to at the toon especially at home and a team i think with it would roll the vast majority over is

Krul, anita santon colo saylor tiote cabaye fergie benny cisse and Ba.

i would say that team would put us right up their with the best of them, attacking wise and defending

If we could get those nice early crosses in for the two dembas then it could bare some very nice fruit indeed.

and we also have the other option with cabaye and benny linking up to supply the front to as well, as well as anita surging down the wing and santon on the other side. tiote covering the saylor and colo as well.

That for me would be Krispy Kreme doughnuts!! yum yum!

• 23 AmericanGeordie // Oct 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I think Anita is a holding midfielder. I think we are asking him tochange positions too much; he is new to the club and new to the premier league. Let the lad get settled.

Our best formation and lineup for current roster:

4-3-3 (morphing into more defensive 4-2-3-1 occasionally)
    Krul